Chillies: problems this year - concrete

I have grown my own chillies in pots since moving to Kent. I have had some decent results except for this year. They have been really slow, affected by white fly which we have sorted, only just getting a few flowers. Maybe get a crop in December at this rate after bringing them indoors later this year. I planted from Habanera seeds and they germinated fine then just slowed right down. SWMBO waters twice a week with a feed in one watering. I wondered if anyone grows them and has more experience than we have. Everything else has grown like wildfire in the garden and the allotment. Any comments welcomed.

Cheers Concrete

Chillies: problems this year - daveyjp

When lockdown started my daughter needed something to do so she decided to do some planters and pots, both flowers and veg.

For a first time she has done really well. 8ft sunflowers, some beans, sweet peas,chillies, tomatoes.

However whilst they have all done well, just like your observation they have been slow to develop. The chillies are only just losing their flowers, the tomatoes have grown, but aren't turning red. Despite them being difficult to grow she even threw some sweetcorn in a pot, and 3 of them have produced cobs which is a good outcome, but I can't see them getting to ripe stage.

My dad is a keen gardener and has had the same, even his greenhouse grown tomatoes haven't cropped well, his runner beans very poor, onions OK.

Whilst it was hot in April and May we have put it down to quite a poor June, July and August, Our local weather reporter said we have only had about 65% of normal sun level and more rain than is usual. Not good for plant growing and ripening.

Thanks davey, we have had a great season in the garden and the allotment too. But we did water daily so the harvest was good. Everything did well, soft fruits, broad beans, peas, onions, runners, sweetcorn, beetroot and a few herbs and roots. The runners are now done and the majority of the corn picked. Last two potato plants to dig up this weekend. That only leaves, cauli, cabbage, sprouts, broccoli and leeks to come. At home the garden has bloomed but been well watered too. Tomatoes grown outside, chillies in the greenhouse, that is the only disappointing plant this season. Still coming on slowly with twice weekly watering, once with a feed in. I am sure we will get some chillies probably by November now. Jus twondered if we did anything obviously wrong. The habanera types are pretty strong and usually do well. Still if we knew all the vagaries of horticulture we would be on TV. A mysterious art indeed. I guess not a topic for the motoring forum!

Cheers Concrete

Chillies: problems this year - Theophilus

We (or at least our son!) have already started picking and eating chillies from the greenhouse (in sunny Hampshire).

Looking a heavy crop, a very good size (and heat) but have been slow to turn red - though really still plenty hot enough whilst still green.

Watered most days, and fed with tomato feed once a week or so.

We (or at least our son!) have already started picking and eating chillies from the greenhouse (in sunny Hampshire).

Looking a heavy crop, a very good size (and heat) but have been slow to turn red - though really still plenty hot enough whilst still green.

Watered most days, and fed with tomato feed once a week or so.

Well done, sound like the results I used to get. Talking to a friend in the pub last night he revealed that his chillies and other peppers are also slow. Can't just be the hot weather it must be very similar to Hampshire in Kent. I will just wait and see and try a different variety next year from seed.

Cheers Concrete

Chillies: problems this year - Theophilus

We grew a new (to us) variety of chilli this year - Tokyo Hot. Planted in grow-bag in unheated greenhouse.

It's been very prolific and early ripening. The chillies are 3"-4" in length and much fatter than the usual skinny hot chillies we've grown in other years (indeed had planted some of these again this year, but their crop is much less impressive)

Will certainly plant Tokyo Hot again next year.

Edited by Theophilus on 05/09/2020 at 16:51