Recommendations Estate/SUV £3-4K - Sandwich18

Evening all,

Looking to appeal to the collective wisdom of the forum please.

I am looking for an estate/SUV for £3-4k (ideally 3). Reliability first and foremost, fuel efficiency second. Needs to cater for occasional DIY runs and carry my dog and family comfortably.

Auto preferred but this probably throws both of my criteria into question?

Thanks in advance

Recommendations Estate/SUV £3-4K - lucklesspedestrian

The price of second hand cars is still really inflated, so the chances of getting a reliable, roomy, fuel-efficient car for £3K is not good.

The usual advice on here when buying at that price point is to not worry so much about a specific model/make but rather to buy the car which seems to have been looked after best.

The other advice on here probably also holds true i.e. petrol, manual (I know!) and Japanese, so possibly an Avensis or Mazda 6 estate? I wouldn't discount the Mondeo or even the Focus estates either.

How big is the family and how many miles do you cover a year?

Thank you for such a detailed and swift reply.

Family size - 2 adults, 2 kids, 1 spaniel. Covering 15000 miles ish a year mostly country roads as we live in rural Scotland.

Will have a look into those you mentioned.

Had a look on A/T within 80 miles of my postcode in Perthshire.

There's not much out there for the price but these cars are highly regarded.

High miles but good service history and a quick look on the DVLA MOT history doesn't show anything too concerning (mainly tyres)

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202206176897302?r...1

Recommendations Estate/SUV £3-4K - Warning

That is a good fine. It has done 150,000miles and the interior looks better then some cars I have seen which have done 40,000 miles

Edited by Warning on 09/10/2022 at 18:15

Recommendations Estate/SUV £3-4K - Adampr

I think a Dacia Duster or Suzuki SX4 / Fiat Sedici (they're the same) might work. Duster is a bit rough and ready and it's worth checking the boot is big enough on an SX4.

Thank you everyone for all your help.

I had looked at the Duster, but am a tad wary of diesels and expensive bits going wrong. Not sure if the petrols are so well regarded?

Recommendations Estate/SUV £3-4K - catsdad

Unless you need the squared off shape of an estate you could consider a roomy boot hatchback. Skoda Octavia and Honda Cicic for example. The Civic’s magic seats would offer the option of tipping up one third to accommodate the spaniel, suitably restrained, in the large rear footwell. This leaves free the 500 litre or so boot.

Recommendations Estate/SUV £3-4K - badbusdriver

I had looked at the Duster, but am a tad wary of diesels and expensive bits going wrong. Not sure if the petrols are so well regarded?

So you should. But as you are covering 15k per annum, I might consider a few Diesel engines, even at this price point (one of which would be the Renault 1.5DCI as used in the Duster).

Re the Duster petrol engines, the n/a 1.6 is OK but the 1.2TCE, maybe not so much.

One thing though, with your budget, I think you should forget about an auto unless you actually need one (which doesnt sound like it is the case). Your pool of potential decent cars is going to be small enough as it is without slimming it down further. An auto is also going to be more expensive than a manual, so a £3-4k auto is going to be older than a £3-4k manual, and a £3-4k manual is itself not going to be in the first flush of youth. Also, going back to your mileage, a torque converter auto, while usually reliable, is not a particularly efficient transmission. You could be looking at a 20%+ reduction in economy going from a family sized manual to a t/c auto.

As others have said, with such a small budget, you need to be judging each car on condition, service history and MOT history rather than looking for specific makes and models. Yes, an average Toyota, Honda, or Mazda is likely to be more reliable than something like an average Renault, but a well looked after Renault could be a better buy than a neglected Toyota, Honda or Mazda. Ideally you want something being sold privately rather than from a dealer. Reasons being that a dealer is expecting to make a profit, so a £3-4k car won't have cost them any more than £2.5-3.5k. And don't go thinking a cheap car from a dealer will give you peace of mind, any warranty offered won't be worth much more than the paper it is printed on and he will do everything he can to get out of paying for any problems or faults with the car (big ones anyway).

One last thing, forum member and ex motor trader SLO says Gumtree is a better source for lower priced cars rather than Autotrader or Ebay.

Edited by badbusdriver on 04/10/2022 at 13:34

Wow, thank you for such a comprehensive response! I can't believe how helpful members on here have been!

I will discount an auto on your recommendation, thank you.

Looks like I need to start trawling gumtree...

Recommendations Estate/SUV £3-4K - veryoldbear

For something a lttle more unusual try a Saab 95 estate. Capacious, excellent seats and a jolly comedy cupholder.

Recommendations Estate/SUV £3-4K - Adampr

Thinking about it some more, I don't know about Scotland but here in the South West we still have lot of old Rav4s knocking about. Could be an option.

I see a fair few around. Will have a search through the forum for posts on them. I've only heard people saying good things about the reliability of Toyotas.

Thinking about it some more, I don't know about Scotland but here in the South West we still have lot of old Rav4s knocking about. Could be an option.

Our neighbour a couple of doors down sold an absolute peach of an 06 plate Rav 4 for about £1500 earlier this year, leather upholstery etc. Still see it knocking about locally and looks like it could easily last another 5 years min. I could not under any circumstances have rationally justified buying it but I really wish I had!!

Put in a good word in for me and I'll come and snap it up!

Recommendations Estate/SUV £3-4K - badbusdriver

RAV4's with the petrol engine are all good news, same goes for its arch enemy the Honda CRV. But because SUV's are the thing to have these days, a £3-4k SUV is going to be older than a (less desirable) estate or big hatch.

I can understand the temptation, but a normal hatch or estate on decent quality all season tyres will go pretty much everywhere on road that a 4x4 SUV will in all but the most extreme snowy/icy conditions.

Also, the one mentioned by Lucklesspedestrian seems suspiciously cheap for a RAV4 of that age, even with big miles. Cheapest of that age on Autotrader is nearly double the price, and that is with 128k miles, so don't go thinking that £1.5k is a typical price!.

Recommendations Estate/SUV £3-4K - expat

So you should. But as you are covering 15k per annum, I might consider a few Diesel engines, even at this price point (one of which would be the Renault 1.5DCI as used in the Duster).

Diesel may be suitable for your mileage but what about the previous owners? People do run into expensive problems with diesels and may try to patch it up on the cheap to get rid of it before it costs them big money. You don't want to buy someone else's problems.

Excuse the lack of reply for a while. A change of circumstances has delayed this search.

Thank you very much to everyone above for such helpful insights.

Now back in the market, starting to look at a few estates after the outstanding reviews the avensis gets as a cheap used car.

Recommendations Estate/SUV £3-4K - SLO76
I’ve been running one for the last 5yrs. Brilliant cheap family workhorse, I’d stick with the 1800 petrol like mine as there’s less to go wrong. No turbo, no DPF, no timing belt etc etc. make sure it has fresh oil once a year and it’ll run and run.

I’d include the Ford Mondeo 2.0 petrol and closely related Mazda 6 2.0 petrol in your search too. Both drive better than the Toyota but they’re greedier on fuel and probably not quite as long lived.

I’d forget an SUV at this money, anything you look at will be worn out and/or heavily crusty underneath. There’s more to go wrong, parts are usually dearer (particularly tyres) and they’re worse on fuel. On a tight budget these things are important.

Edited by SLO76 on 24/06/2023 at 11:32

Thanks SLO!

It was your thread on Terrance that brought it to my attention. If you do chase the Leaf, then I might be able to offer a home for Terrance!

Recommendations Estate/SUV £3-4K - SLO76

Thanks SLO!

It was your thread on Terrance that brought it to my attention. If you do chase the Leaf, then I might be able to offer a home for Terrance!

I was thinking that. He’s been a good old car. Still in great condition, but if I do buy the Leaf I’ll be keeping him for a while to see how the Leaf works out.
Recommendations Estate/SUV £3-4K - AndrewAUK99

What have you been running for 5 years ?

cheers