Car Suggestions - Adampr

Right, I'm still looking for a new car. Following my disappointment with the Leon, though, my parameters have somewhat changed. I no longer believe that there is a 'perfect' vehicle for me and I think (especially in the current market), £25k spent on a car that will always be imperfect is pointless. So, new parameters:

• £10k-£15k
  • Auto
  • Can tow a small trailer
  • Can seat three in comfort
  • Reasonable (circa 400l+) boot
  • Must be reliable
  • Must be reasonably economical (circa 40mpg +)
  • Comfortable on the motorway
  • Cruise control
  • Fun to drive (not necessarily sporty, just fun).
  • Not really dark inside
  • Use will be mixed short local and long family trips

Vehicles I have driven and liked:

• Mini (the new type)
  • Jeep Renegade
  • Toyota Hilux
  • Seat Mii
  • Jaguar XJR
  • Mercedes E class

Vehicles I have driven and not liked:

• BMW 3 series
  • Audi A2
  • Citroen AX

The car will be paid for with cash and will be the main family workhorse, so should be robust and quite long lived.

I had a Renegade as a hire car last year, was convinced I'd hate it and actually found it remarkably comfortable and serene to drive. We were visiting friends who literally live up a mountain in Spain and the extra ground clearance really helped on their track. I'm wondering if the extra softness in the suspension is what made it comfy.

I could go for a Renegade, although the boot's a little small, maybe a Vitara or even Duster, but no idea if they'll be OK on the motorway.

Car Suggestions - Alby Back
My wife has a Renegade. It’s a 2018 model. 1.4 petrol manual.
She is totally besotted with it. “Best car I’ve ever had” etc. I’m a little more relaxed about my attitude to it, but I’ll concede it does please me. Just a car of course, but a characterful one.
I have read however, that the autos can be something of an acquired taste.
Probably worth burrowing into that.
She’s getting about 35mpg, which is not fantastic but neither is it totally tragic.
I enjoy driving it when I can part her from the keys.
No reliability issues so far by the way.
Car Suggestions - badbusdriver

Problem with the Renegade and Duster is both use automated manuals. Also, looking at prices on Autotrader, cheapest Duster auto is a quid under £16k. Not exactly sure what transmission the renegade uses as it is labelled DDCT, i hope that doesn't mean four clutches (rather than two)?!.

Vitara 1.4 Boosterjet should fit the bill though, assuming motorway comfort is acceptable and boot big enough (more capacious than the Renegade, but still under 400l). There is always the SX4 S Cross though (430l).

Car Suggestions - John F

Mrs F's hottish hatch (she is unaware of its generous power to weight ratio!) Peugeot 2008 1.2 puretech 130 EAT6 with its panoramic roof meets all twelve of your criteria. We like it so much it's not for sale, but here's one to try.....

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401045248712?s...a

Car Suggestions - Heidfirst

This a ~18 month old thread no doubt necro'ed by a spammer since deleted by admin.

Car Suggestions - Adampr

Ah, those halcyon days. I never did find a £10k-£15k car that I liked.

Car Suggestions - Andrew-T

Since this thread has been reincarnated I may add a slightly relevant comment, as the OP is still (very much) with us and has been looking for a small SUV, mentioning a Duster in passing.

One of my occasional tasks is shifting collapsible staging between store and auditorium (it consists of metre-square decks and telescopic supports). The decks fit snugly between the wheel arches of my 207SW, and they would go with even more clearance in my 205, because of the economical Peugeot design from about 40 years ago. They won't lie flat in a Duster, as one of the other shifters uses one to help out. I don't call that progress, as the Duster LOOKS like a much roomier car. He has to strap them on the roof bars !!

Car Suggestions - Adampr

O wonder if they'd fit in my Karoq (which I ended up with for more money)? I think probably not, and I'd definitely rather not lift them up there. If only you could still buy estate cars.

Car Suggestions - skidpan

O wonder if they'd fit in my Karoq (which I ended up with for more money)? I think probably not, and I'd definitely rather not lift them up there. If only you could still buy estate cars.

You can, just like your Karoq Skoda make the Octavia and Superb estates. The Octavia would be big enough for most, the Superb is vast.

Car Suggestions - Adampr

I wonder if they'd fit in my Karoq (which I ended up with for more money)? I think probably not, and I'd definitely rather not lift them up there. If only you could still buy estate cars.

You can, just like your Karoq Skoda make the Octavia and Superb estates. The Octavia would be big enough for most, the Superb is vast.

True enough. I wonder how I ended up with a Karoq!

Car Suggestions - Xileno

This seems to have been brought back to life by an irritating spammer.

One poster has asked for their contribution to be removed and I've done that. I'm tempted to put the thread back to where it came from but on the other hand it might prove useful if only to remind us estates are still available and there is a solution that isn't a SUV...

One poster has asked for their contribution to be removed and I've done that.

I find that very odd myself, perish the thought that one may be human and fallible.

I also didn't notice the date of the thread when I posted this morning, and have made frequent other blunders through not understanding and/or fully reading a post, not that big a deal is it?

:-)

Edited by badbusdriver on 13/02/2024 at 16:37

Car Suggestions - Heidfirst

Toyota still make the Corolla as an estate, Mazda the 6, Audi, BMW & Mercedes still make estates as does Pegeot & VW's new Passat is only available as an estate. No doubt I have missed a few others.

Car Suggestions - Adampr

Toyota still make the Corolla as an estate, Mazda the 6, Audi, BMW & Mercedes still make estates as does Pegeot & VW's new Passat is only available as an estate. No doubt I have missed a few others.

Yes, I was being lazy. What I really meant was if only manufacturers still offered a wide range of estate cars and promoted them rather than putting every hatchback on stilts and charging people for the benefit.

When I was looking, the choice of estates was very limited and the choice of SUVs was vast. I spent six months looking for a Mazda 6 in particular, but my slightly unusual requirements (petrol, auto and, most challengingly, a light coloured interior) made one I liked impossible to find.

Car Suggestions - RT

Yes, I was being lazy. What I really meant was if only manufacturers still offered a wide range of estate cars and promoted them rather than putting every hatchback on stilts and charging people for the benefit.

When I was looking, the choice of estates was very limited and the choice of SUVs was vast. I spent six months looking for a Mazda 6 in particular, but my slightly unusual requirements (petrol, auto and, most challengingly, a light coloured interior) made one I liked impossible to find.

The truth is that when car makers built estates as a different version to their popular hatchback, they were a nice market with limited sales - by lifting the suspension of their hatchback they created an in-fashion crossover which sells like hot cakes.

Car Suggestions - John F

.... by lifting the suspension of their hatchback they created an in-fashion crossover which sells like hot cakes......

....a triumph of style over substance and practicality. I wonder how much more back pain is caused by having to lift stuff into the higher boot area - and then out of it, often over a lip when you get home.

Car Suggestions - RT

.... by lifting the suspension of their hatchback they created an in-fashion crossover which sells like hot cakes......

....a triumph of style over substance and practicality. I wonder how much more back pain is caused by having to lift stuff into the higher boot area - and then out of it, often over a lip when you get home.

Having had several estates during my working life and then more recently a Subaru Outback, Hyundai Santa Fe and VW Touareg I've not noticed any issues from the higher load floor - in fact as I get older and more decrepit I notice that getting out of the seat from conventional cars is harder and harder and quite understand why modern crossovers appeal to those less mobile.

Car Suggestions - Andrew-T

<< ....a triumph of style over substance and practicality. >>

Having grown up in an artistic family, I learnt about form and function at a fairly early age. With cars, function is probably more important than form, and of course different people demand various functions from their vehicles. But IMHO Peugeot's 205, and its successor the 306 (just a grown-up 205 really) managed to combine both form and function very successfully. Today's form (style, if you prefer, John) comes a pretty poor second, and I don't see much of what I would call Style, either.

Edited by leaseman on 15/02/2024 at 10:12

Curious comment given how frequently you sing the praise Mrs F's crossover?

Car Suggestions - John F

......a triumph of style over substance and practicality. I wonder how much more back pain is caused by having to lift stuff into the higher boot area - and then out of it, often over a lip when you get home.

Curiously, they call it an SUV, not a crossover. Next time you see a Peugeot 2008, have a look to see how they have made the lipless boot loading area low. I think this may be because it was never designed to accommodate rear wheel drive; a widespread feature, indeed some might say requirement, of many so-called SUVs.

......a triumph of style over substance and practicality. I wonder how much more back pain is caused by having to lift stuff into the higher boot area - and then out of it, often over a lip when you get home.

Curiously, they call it an SUV, not a crossover. Next time you see a Peugeot 2008, have a look to see how they have made the lipless boot loading area low. I think this may be because it was never designed to accommodate rear wheel drive; a widespread feature, indeed some might say requirement, of many so-called SUVs.

Given Crossover and SUV are both made up terms, whether a manufacturer uses one or the other to describe the same type of car is irrelevant and not curious at all. I'm well aware that driving a car labelled either SUV or Crossover does not mean you are going to have a have a high boot floor (even when 4wd is involved), it was you who said it.