2019 Mercedes-Benz GLE - Mileage Discrepancy - Freddy1983

Hi, I recently purchased a 2019 Mercedes GLE for £45,500 from a non Mercedes car dealership. The HPI check showed a possible mileage discrepancy on the National Mileage Register NMR.

The car had an MOT & three services, two of the services were done at Mercedes and the third/latest service done at a non Mercedes garage from where I purchased the car.

Services at Mercedes;

• January 2021 mileage recorded at 4,526
  • February 2022, mileage recoded at 15,011

MOT - Kwik-fit

• December 2022, mileage recoded at 13,677 ?

Service at non Mercedes dealership;

• March 2023, mileage recorded at 25,500

I believe the mileage discrepancy highlighted in the HPI report is a result of a clerical error when the MOT was done in December 2022 as the mileage recorded as 13,677 which is lower than the mileage record by Mercedes service in Feb 2022 which was 15,011 and the latest service recorded a mileage of 25,500. I believe the mileage on the MOT should have been 23,677 and not 13,677 which would make sense and follow a sequential increase.

On the HPI report it shows that the NMR has a recorded mileage entry on November 2022 at 23,000 one month before the MOT which again suggests and reaffirms to me there was a possible clerical error on the MOT mileage entry.

I've spoken with the DVSA the only mileage record they have is the one noted on the MOT which doesn't help me and because the MOT was done with the previous owner I do not have access to any of the invoices/records that I can provide to DVLA that might be able to help me get this corrected. I asked Kiwk-fit and they confirmed they do not include the mileage on the invoice so not sure how that would have helped.

I've spoken to the car dealership who are trying to get this sorted however based on the call with DVLA I'm not confident this will happen maybe if NMR can provide DVLA with a letter then maybe but I'm not sure how these things work.

If the mileage discrepancy cannot be resolved what would be the worst case scenario when it comes to selling the car in the future? How much value (approx) would I lose because of this error/mileage discrepancy? I intend to MOT, service and maintain the car with Mercedes as long as I'm the owner.

I've had the car on my drive now for seven days, I wonder if I'm able to return the car to the dealership based on this issue?

Any information/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

2019 Mercedes-Benz GLE - Mileage Discrepancy - Andrew-T

The only erratic reading seems to be the K-F MoT one, which apparently is a single-digit typo 10K miles short. These typos are not uncommon, and I doubt anyone might quibble when shown your other figures. I don't think it worth agitating about, and I don't suppose DVLA would agree to make any changes to their records.

2019 Mercedes-Benz GLE - Mileage Discrepancy - Bromptonaut

Agree with above. Finger trouble @ K-F. Hit 1 rather than 2 as figure for tens of thousands.

2019 Mercedes-Benz GLE - Mileage Discrepancy - sammy1

If the car had only one owner the mileage is consistent for the service record. I wonder if KF read the trip in error as a lot of drivers do not bother to zero them very often.

2019 Mercedes-Benz GLE - Mileage Discrepancy - elekie&a/c doctor
Vosa are very much aware of this problem of inputting the incorrect mileage on the mot certificate. Due to the fact that many modern cars have multiple mileage displays and very often the tester reads the wrong one . Also , on many cars now , the mileage is not displayed immediately the ignition is turned on , so the tester has to scroll though the menu to display the correct reading.

That does make sense because when I scrolled through the trip computer details it had 15,619 so it does seem that the trip hadn't been reset after fuelling for a longtime and would suggest that it may have been at 13,677 when it was being MOTd.

The car has had several owners, 5. I think during covid the price of used cars meant that a lot of buyers were going after easy profits through buying and selling used cars which is what I believe has happened here based on the records of owners and all the history that has been provided with car.

Thank you for your comment, much appreciated. I had similar thought process, I was more thinking when it comes time to sell the car, although that won't be for another 4-5 years and by then it will have had several MOTs and services done at Mercedes so hopefully will build confidence with potential future buyer. Many thanks.

2019 Mercedes-Benz GLE - Mileage Discrepancy - Lee Power

I'm surprised a low mileage 4 year old Mercedes didn't make it on to the Mercedes approved used scheme?

2019 Mercedes-Benz GLE - Mileage Discrepancy - RT

I'm surprised a low mileage 4 year old Mercedes didn't make it on to the Mercedes approved used scheme?

Probably excluded because of the mileage discrepancy