Vauxhall Corsa - Insurance query re Rejected car from dispute - JACK ELLIOT

Hi there,

I just received a new car today and will need to insure it.

However, I am still the registered owner of another car which is currently at a mechanic's premise on private land.

I recently bought a car where it broke down after 36 days of purchase with catastrophic engine failure, where it required a new engine.

The dealership initially refused to help me fix the car, due to a clause they input into their invoice stating they did not accept claims for 'blown head gasket or overheating' which is seemingly the fault at the time. I complained to them and they responded by offering to pay half to fix the car or said I can go and fix it myself paying the full cost. I felt like their offer was the best financially for me, without knowing at the time it was their legal obligation to fix the car in full. On the same day, I wanted to explore my legal options so reported them to the Motor Onbudsman.

I recovered the car to their mechanic, and I did not meet the mechanic - one of the employees of the dealership met me at their premises.

The Motor Onbudsman got back to me as they were in the process of fixing my car saying they should fix the car paying for the whole cost and to send them a complaint saying this, otherwise there could be court action.

2 days later, the dealership rang me and threatened to stop all work on my car unless I withdrew the complaint - I did not want even more hassle of having to recover the car from them again with a half worked on engine, so I withdrew the complaint for this reason, still not thinking I was being treated fairly.

They attempted to replace head gasket, and then test drove, and let me know the engine would need replacing. They then replaced the engine and then sent me a document asking me to sign something which would say I agree the vehicle could only be released if I paid my contribution, and that this would bring the matter to a close. There was no mention of the new engine details of which I would need to legally informt the DVLA of and also no mention of warranty on the new engine like they had already discussed with me. For these reasons I refused to sign the document and decided to ask for a partial refund after giving them the chance to fix the car and them not meeting a satisfactory solution.

They responded basically saying that I knew what I was doing all along, and that I had changed my mind back and forth. It is partly true and this is a concern I have if this goes to court - it could be a weakness in my case. However, it was a very stressful time and I felt very upset and confused about what to do.

I have now sent them a Letter Before Court Action letter asking them for a refund for the final time and if not I will initiate court proceedings.

They are now saying I acted in bad faith - do you think I could potentially lose this in court?

I would like some advice over the weakness of my case in terms of accepting a negotiation verbally, even though I felt this was extremely unfair at the time (hence reporting them to Motor Onbudsman on the day of accepting the negotiation). I felt cornered at the time - but I am unsure if this will stand up in court before a judge.

My main question is also, do I need to keep the car insured and taxed even though I have rejected it back and have no intention of ever driving it again? How do I deal with this in a legal manner?

Thanks.

Edited by JACK ELLIOT on 26/05/2023 at 18:38

Vauxhall Corsa - Insurance query re Rejected car from dispute - Palcouk

Owning another car does not prevent you insuring another, new car.

You should have demaded your money back in full on the broken down car

My question is though, do I have to insure and tax the car with the dispute - which I plan to never drive again?

Vauxhall Corsa - Insurance query re Rejected car from dispute - Adampr

My question is though, do I have to insure and tax the car with the dispute - which I plan to never drive again?

No. SORN it.

On the other matter, I'd be surprised if you won a court case having messed them about so much.

How did I mess them around so much?

They told me get it fixed elsewhere for the full cost or go with them and pay halves, I wasn't aware they were liable to pay the whole cost to fix due to goods not fit for purpose in accordance with Consumer Rights 2015. I wasn't aware of the proper legal process until 12 May 2023, when I initiated the right process as advised by Citizens Advice.

They have not even provided with me information of the new engine they had replaced the hold one with, so I was expected to sign the document bringing the matter to a close without knowing it was a legitimate engine in? Also, why would I trust the fact they fixed this safely after it was apparent they had no respect of the fact I broke down with catastrophic engine failure just 36 days after purchase and wouldn't agree to fix it initially?

They played manipulation tactics, and I was played.

Plus, they have a dodgy invoice which attempts to restrict my rights as a consumer, inserting clauses like 'No claims will be accepted for overheating or blown head gasket as it's a common fault on Corsa's' - my car overheated and engine failed. Also the fact they put a line halfway through stating that I agree I had been offered warranty but not taken it, this is a complete lie - they told me verbally they could not offer me warranty.

I don't understand the angle I messed them around = it is a matter of principle as a business and legally binding to not restrict and break a consumer's rights, which they failed on multiple accounts with the main one being them not paying the full cost of fix.

Vauxhall Corsa - Insurance query re Rejected car from dispute - Adampr

You reported the fault, agreed to split the cost, then reported them to the ombudsman. That's a pretty aggressive start to things when you could simply have rejected the car.

You then agreed to them continuing with the the repair. They then told you that the engine needed to be replaced and you agreed to that. Now it's time to pay, you want to reject the car.

I have absolutely no doubt that you've been had. The engine is probably the original one and they're just trying to get you to pay for the whole cost of the HG replacement. However, from their point of view, you keep agreeing to things then changing your mind. If the dealer is as iffy as you state, winning a court case won't get you your money back. They have probably already moved the assets out of the company that sold you the car.

Your best bet is to pay your half of the costs, drive the car immediately to WBAC and put the whole thing down to experience. No, they shouldn't be allowed to get away with this sort of thing, but they do.

Vauxhall Corsa - Insurance query re Rejected car from dispute - Grenache

Yes, you need to keep it insured until you are no longer the owner. If it were to go on fire you'd be left with nothing otherwise.

As for SORN, if it's not going to be driven on the road, then SORN it,

Vauxhall Corsa - Insurance query re Rejected car from dispute - Andrew-T

As for SORN, if it's not going to be driven on the road, then SORN it,

Yes, but remembering that the car has to be genuinely Off-Road.