Modern Tech - sammy1

We were out and about with Sammy dog on a 5 mile walk at one of our favourite places near home. After the walk we visited the centre cafe for some well earned refreshment. Queuing for some food and drink an old chap was paying for his food and using his card. As so often happens with a card reader it fails to register first time. The cafe assistant asked the old chap to tap it again. Where upon he jabbed his index finger hard on the reader and their whole system when down from the card reader to the computerised food order system. The cafe had probably experienced problems before so reverted to a manual system took our order and we eventually paid on leaving. I am putting a link on here for the centre as a visit if you are near or a serious mountain biker or walker is well worth it If you prefer to view the magnificent scenery you can do so on a 7 mile drive through the forest and hills with plenty of car parks picnic areas and places where you can easily reach the top of the hills There are also many very friendly birds here a reference to another member who posted about the crows

Natural Resources Wales / Cwm Carn Forest, near Newport

Modern Tech - Chris M

My son viewed a property in Pontywaun last year as he wants to get on the ladder and has work connections with USW. I viewed with him and it was a lovely cottage with spectacular views across the valley, even in the drizzle. We hadn't had rain at home (South Coast) for weeks at the time and everything was brown. It was a revelation to see green vegetation - but I guess that's Wales for you. Was looking forward to exploring Cwn Carn Forest had he bought the place and his younger brother would have loved the challenging cycle rides.

Modern Tech - _

My son viewed a property in Pontywaun last year as he wants to get on the ladder and has work connections with USW. I viewed with him and it was a lovely cottage with spectacular views across the valley, even in the drizzle. We hadn't had rain at home (South Coast) for weeks at the time and everything was brown. It was a revelation to see green vegetation - but I guess that's Wales for you. Was looking forward to exploring Cwn Carn Forest had he bought the place and his younger brother would have loved the challenging cycle rides.

Reminds me, Took youngrovergirl to Carmarthen in 2007, and she said, "It;s so green) reply. you'll see why in a few minutes. It duly poured down.

Modern Tech - gordonbennet
Pay by cash everywhere, or lose it and walk blindfolded into the future the oligarchs have planned for you.

I'm still envious of my friend who sold up some 40 years ago and bought a smallholding near Haverfordwest.
Modern Tech - Vroom78

They are definitely slowly trying to get rid of cash, it will be impossible to do anything that doesn't appear as a number on your bank account soon. An amazon fresh opened up near me now and I just put my groceries in a bag, tap my card and it tells me what i owe about 2 hours later.

Modern Tech - Andrew-T

And we all know that pro hackers like messing around inside bank systems. At least they can't do that with hard cash - only print their own version.

Modern Tech - Bolt

An amazon fresh opened up near me now and I just put my groceries in a bag, tap my card and it tells me what i owe about 2 hours later.

Some one I know said they had the receipt from Amazon as they walked out the door, so many cameras they see everything your hands do, ie you put something back on the shelf and its auto removed from bill (no checkout) just tap a card.

I gather in some you can have an account which everything is done through so no card needed assuming thats the same shop?

But gather thats what Amazon are aiming for- fast shoppers

Modern Tech - Andrew-T

But gather that's what Amazon are aiming for- fast shoppers

More shoppers ?

Modern Tech - Bolt

But gather that's what Amazon are aiming for- fast shoppers

More shoppers ?

Both really, the faster the shoppers go through the more shoppers they can get through, afaia Canada has several that work well.

Modern Tech - Terry W

The retailers have got the customers doing half the job with self checkout. I am sure that stores will have assessed theft losses vs staff cost savings and priced goods accordingly.

The next stage is getting closer - rather than pick goods from the shelves, picking will be done robotically. Even human pickers for online shoppers will be redundant.

The idea of actually travelling to a supermarket is becoming a distant memory for many - in the future going to a supermarket to trudge round behind a trolley will seem completely bizarre and only for those who want an authentic historic experience.