Landrover Discover 5 HSE Luxury 3 years - Windscreen sealant failure - serious leak - GeorginaH

I own a Landrover Discovery HSE Luxury (69 plate) which I have owned for 2 1/2 years and purchased an extended Landrover warranty in September 2022 as it reached 3 years old. The windscreen sealant failed in April of this year causing water to leak badly into the car every time it rains. I reported it straight away to my LR dealer (Hendy) in Southampton. They spoke to LR and a claim was authorised and a new windscreen ordered in April 2023. The leak is so bad it is not possible to drive the car without getting wet and it pours onto the transmission electrics. Even though Hendy LR covered the top of the screen with clear tape, it still leaks at times and the wind noise from the tape is really annoying over 50mph. I went back to Hendy and asked if they could provide me with another vehicle under the claim and they agreed and supplied a Hyundai Tucson. However, I have a caravan, a horse trailer, 4 children and we have two holidays booked in Cornwall and France which we are relying on taking the Land Rover. One is in July and the other August. We cannot fit our holiday kit in the Tucson and there is still no date provided for our windscreen - not even an estimated one. What can I do? We can’t tow our caravan, we can’t fit our roof rails or bike rack to the Tucson. I feel I bought a great family car but it has been unusable for getting on for 3 months with no end in sight. I feel powerless and unable to do anything - can you advise with any options I could ask for? Does anyone know how long LR windscreens take to turn up to the dealerships after ordering?

Edited by Georgina Hough on 01/07/2023 at 20:02

Landrover Discover 5 HSE Luxury 3 years - Windscreen sealant failure - serious leak - MGspannerman
Try Affordable Motor Glass in Portsmouth. My windscreen started to leak due to poor fitting of a replacement screen, before it came into my ownership. These chaps did a fantastic job, they managed to remove my screen without damaging and then refitted it, all done within an hour and a half. There is a risk of breakage of course. Water was pouring in, this was around Christmas and a very wet period, and it fixed it completely. They also told me they fixe a Land Rover on average every six weeks - not the same one of course :-) . Great service, recommended.
Landrover Discover 5 HSE Luxury 3 years - Windscreen sealant failure - serious leak - GeorginaH

Thank you - I’ll give them a ring to see if they can re-fit whilst we wait for the LR new one. I think it is a common issue with these cars. I wish I’d kept my Volvo XC90!

Landrover Discover 5 HSE Luxury 3 years - Windscreen sealant failure - serious leak - Andrew-T

I wish I’d kept my Volvo XC90!

I'll bet you do !!

Landrover Discover 5 HSE Luxury 3 years - Windscreen sealant failure - serious leak - ChrisPov10

Hi, I have discovered the same problem on my own 69 plate Discovery.

Can I ask how this was resolved for you in the end please and if you have any photos of where your leak was?

Mine is coming through the front centre light console and dripping on the gear knob.

I've also noticed water running along the front left hand side of the roof liner where it joins the windscreen.

Have you seen this article (although American):

www.mylemon.com/lemon-law-blog/land-rover-windshie.../

Have a read of the technical services bulletin.

Thanks,

Chris.

Landrover Discover 5 HSE Luxury 3 years - Windscreen sealant failure - serious leak - Tanya Mills
Hi all

I’m experiencing the same leak on my Discovery (2018 plate). I purchased the car off Land Rover two years ago. This is my fourth Discovery and love them so, am hugely disappointed and frustrated with what to do.
I have put two towels and a picnic blanket over my windscreen over night to try and prevent water leaking through and a small baking tray on top of the gear knob area, just in case.

My electrics aren’t working right either - main headlights don’t turn off automatically now when I lock the car..

What do we do about this? Please can I have some advice. I haven’t called LR customer care yet.

Thanks.

Landrover Discover 5 HSE Luxury 3 years - Windscreen sealant failure - serious leak - Tanya Mills
Mine is also the HSE