The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - Xileno

In this thread you may:

Discuss any issue relating to EVs

Ask any question for EVs which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever

Discuss articles that have been hosted elsewhere (this may be reviewed after a while to see how it's working)

NB Some EV subjects may be more appropriate to continue in a separate thread. An example might be if someone is looking to buy a new car and giving an account of test-driving several ICE and EV vehicles. Another example might be if someone is giving an update on the EV they have bought and wants to feedback their experiences to others. Moderators will use their discretion in situations like these.

Rules:
No or minimal politics
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see forum terms and conditions)

Any of the above are likely to be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will be removed.

When a thread gets to a certain size it will be made read-only and a new Volume created.

This is Volume 3. Previous Volumes will not be deleted but will get locked.

A list of previous Volumes can be found HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW issue for discussion, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in its own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Xileno on 30/11/2023 at 06:43

All - Electric vehicles - poor reliability reported. - focussed

Electric vehicles continue to grapple with poor reliability due to charging and battery issues, a survey by an influential U.S. non-profit organization showed on Wednesday, even as consumers are buying them at a breakneck pace.

On average, new EVs had 79% more problems than gasoline-powered vehicles, Consumer Reports' 2023 Annual Auto Reliability survey showed. Hybrid vehicles had fewer issues than gasoline ones, while plug-in hybrids had 146% more problems.

Mercedes-Benz and Stellantis' (STLAM.MI) Chrysler brands were ranked 29th and 30th, respectively.

Asian carmakers dominated the top-10 places with Lexus ranking first and Toyota second.

Consumer Reports survey covers 20 problem areas including engine, electric motors, transmission and in-car electronics. The organization gathered data on more than 330,000 vehicles from the 2000 to 2023 model years, with a few newly introduced 2024 models.

www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/evs-...d

All - Electric vehicles - poor reliability reported. - Brit_in_Germany

Whereas the What Car? figures for EVs are not statistically different to those for family cars.

2023 What Car? Reliability Survey: Most and least reliable electric cars | What Car?

cf.

2023 What Car? Reliability Survey: Most and least reliable family cars | What Car?

All - Electric vehicles - poor reliability reported. - Engineer Andy

Whereas the What Car? figures for EVs are not statistically different to those for family cars.

2023 What Car? Reliability Survey: Most and least reliable electric cars | What Car?

cf.

2023 What Car? Reliability Survey: Most and least reliable family cars | What Car?

Perhaps, but if you recall, those touting EVs as the 'best thing slice bread' will bang on about how more complex ICE cars are than EVs, thus making them more reliable and easier / cheaper to maintain.

Evidently not, and I'd hate to have to pay for some of the parts EVs seem to need for such repairs once out of warranty. I presume that's one of main reasons why (even with taxpayer subsidies) they are a lot more expensive to buy than ICE cars.

The problem with solely electrical vehicles is that electrical / wiring issues are often far harder to diagnose than purely mechanical / physical ones. That means more expense (when out of warranty) on such things for EVs than ICE.

Admittedly, recent ICE vehicles are closer precisely because they have 'had' to have far more 'safety' and 'environmental' gizmos fitted to them in the last 5 years or so, many of which I feel are not cost-effective and often unreliable and detrimental to the driving experience.

More 'upmarket' doesn't seem to equal 'better reliability' and engineering quality, but just flashier, faster and more plush interiors. Best to employ the K.I.S.S. principle and don't over-spec just to keep up with the Joneses.

All - Electric vehicles - poor reliability reported. - Bromptonaut

The problem with solely electrical vehicles is that electrical / wiring issues are often far harder to diagnose than purely mechanical / physical ones. That means more expense (when out of warranty) on such things for EVs than ICE.

As your own follow up suggests electrical issues in control etc circuits are as likely to ground an ICE as a pure electric.

All - Electric vehicles - poor reliability reported. - HGV ~ P Valentine

Nothing I have seen, or read convinces me to go electric and and not because I am an old fuddy duddy, thankfully by the time the last of the 2nd hand reg cars are gone I will be too old to drive anyway.

All mechanical things break down, at some point, regardless of spending £500 on 2nd hand or £70'000 + on a new one. What puts me off is how little information there is on buying nre parts ( after warranty ) when it does.

Reg cars, you can find the cost of any part, so I think that they are deliberately keeping it secret, so the "oh my god how much" reaction will only come after you have bought it, or have got a 2nd hand one from someone who is selling it because the cost if making it good is too much.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - mcb100
I didn’t own an original Renault 5, but I do like the look of the forthcoming one -

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/renault-5
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - Engineer Andy
I didn’t own an original Renault 5, but I do like the look of the forthcoming one - www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/renault-5

You'd better hope that they get the battery access design right this time, given apparently they did not (according to John Cadogan - see below video) for the Zoe:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-iO1YUj2wA

Not conducive to safety. The 5 looks nice from the outside though.

Certainly looks good. Some neat retro styling touches there, the panel on the bonnet is where the air intake was on some early models.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - Brit_in_Germany

What is the relevance of that story about air-cooled battery packs to today's liquid cooled ones?

What is the relevance of that story about air-cooled battery packs to today's liquid cooled ones?

It's about access to them via the passenger compartment which is obviously very dangerous if a battery fire breaks out, as shown on the video. Hopefully later generations of design will have learned this vital lesson.

As I thought, no relevance.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - HGV ~ P Valentine

If looks matter M8, for me the 1 thing a car has to be above all else is reliable, I am not saying faultless, but you do not check the bus timetables before going out just in case the car does not start.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - SLO76
I didn’t own an original Renault 5, but I do like the look of the forthcoming one - www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/renault-5

Yeah, do like that.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - edlithgow

Banned from many/most parking garages in NYC, according to Mr O here, about 8.50 in.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ2OtuFf8uY

Not of much significance to most on here, unless it gets to be universal.

Probably unlikely in The Yook because it'll presently be too big a slice of the revenue, which probably isn't yet the case in the US,

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - movilogo

There are loads of videos on Tesla Cybertruck lately in YouTube. But this one gives lot of technical info.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WDq0V5oBg

It shows how Tesla is using a different battery for Cybertruck, illustrating how much battery technology improved over the years.

It also claims Tesla is using 48V system for the first time in car industry. Not sure how what it means as many hybrid cars use 48V systems.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - pd

If Renault can keep the price sensible on the 5 I suspect it will sell like hot cakes and become a very high volume EV. It will come down the price though.

I see they have just lopped £3500 off the Megane (which makes it only about £5k over priced model for model) so they seem to be slowly grasping reality.

Renault 5 will be £30k.

www.autoexpress.co.uk/renault/89973/new-renault-5-...s

Renault 5 will be £30k.

Sooooo affordable then. You have to wonder if the powers-that-be want anyone earning under £40k a year to be able to buy a car (amongst many other things) within the next 5-10 years.

I think it needs to be about £25k and maybe entry level battery a bit less.

When you look at what is coming from China and even what Citroen are reportedly planning for with the new C3 electric £30k won't cut it and won't get the European car industry out of the hole they are heading for.

I noticed in the latest European sales figures the MG4 is now outselling the ID3 by 1.6:1.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - badbusdriver

Renault 5 will be £30k.

If that is the case, it is pretty disappointing. I remember reading that because of improvements in tech, materials and production techniques, the 5 would be appreciably cheaper than the Zoe. But £30k is about what the top of the range Zoe currently costs.

VW aiming for £17k with the (smaller, but not sure by how much) ID 1, and Citroen aiming for £22k with the new electric C3 (which presumably would be a direct, if not as trendy, rival).

Admittedly the Citroen is not actually a "new" car, being based on a platform used in India and Latin America. But the electric version is notable for its (Lithium-iron-phoshpate) battery not containing cobalt. Lower energy density apparently, but 200 miles for the initial (44kWh) model and a sub £20 model with a 124 mile range supposed to be coming too.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - Bolt

It also claims Tesla is using 48V system for the first time in car industry. Not sure how what it means as many hybrid cars use 48V systems.

I gather but may be wrong, most Hybrids are using both systems 12v and 48v, Tesla are all 48v, idea being the smaller cabling will reduce weight but give more power to things like air con and other higher power units without increasing cable size

( It shows how Tesla is using a different battery for Cybertruck, illustrating how much battery technology improved over the years.)

iirc they are the 46/80 battery that they had production problems with, the speed they were making them made the battery compounds crack up during production, it wasn`t mentioned how they got over it....

imo, the Cybertruck is too square on corners or triangular whichever way you look at it, with real sharp edges mentioned before by someone and could be rather painful if a pedestrian got clobbered

difficult to make though and can see why its taken so long to get roughly right, by that I mean no 2 are the same as the body panels don`t match being S/Steel

The 5 isn’t being officially unveiled until Geneva at the end of February, so I’d say that speculation on its list price three months ahead of that is a touch speculative.
Don’t forget, also, that Dacia’s Spring is hitting the same showrooms in 2024 at a lower price.

www.dacia.co.uk/vehicles/spring.html
The 5 isn’t being officially unveiled until Geneva at the end of February, so I’d say that speculation on its list price three months ahead of that is a touch speculative. Don’t forget, also, that Dacia’s Spring is hitting the same showrooms in 2024 at a lower price. www.dacia.co.uk/vehicles/spring.html

Hopefully a much lower price!

Especially since under the Dacia badges is the 2015 Renault Kwid...........

But even the electric version will have been around for 5 years by the time it hits the UK

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - Terry W

There is clear evidence of market pressures beginning to work - several manufacturers are introducing small cars with a usable ~200m range at prices below £30k - some £20-25k.

That the Chinese are putting real pressure on European manufacturers with their lower manufacturing costs is driving prices down. It is a choice - cheaper motoring or protect EU companies. Consumers will mostly vote with their wallets.

Those who bemoan the still high cost of new EVs should note that only ~15% of cars on UK roads were bought new by their current owners. 85% are bought second hand - many are unlikely ever (certainly not often) able to buy a brand new car be it EV or ICE. Nothing changes!

Those who bemoan the still high cost of new EVs should note that only ~15% of cars on UK roads were bought new by their current owners. 85% are bought second hand - many are unlikely ever (certainly not often) able to buy a brand new car be it EV or ICE. Nothing changes!

And how many of those 15% were bought rather than leased?

There is clear evidence of market pressures beginning to work - several manufacturers are introducing small cars with a usable ~200m range at prices below £30k - some £20-25k.

I hardly think that £20k for a small car is termed as 'affordable'. Not that long ago similar sized new cars could be had for half that amount.

Pandemic manufacturing and sales restrictions during lockdown periods aside, the vast increases in the cost of small and city cars (and forcing many manufacturers to ditch them in ICE format altogether, even big sellers) has been a big contributor to the 2021+ vast upswing in the price of second hand vehicles, especially at the small size end of the market.

That the Chinese are putting real pressure on European manufacturers with their lower manufacturing costs is driving prices down. It is a choice - cheaper motoring or protect EU companies. Consumers will mostly vote with their wallets.

Production costs in China are on the way up as their population becomes more middle class, which is why more goods (not cars - yet) like clothing are being manufactured elsewhere, e.g. Indonesia.

Whilst Chinese car manufacturers are slowly catching up those from Europe, South Korea and Japan, as yet they haven't really broken through. Whilst in the UK, sales of MGs have done quite nicely of late, I still believe they have enough driveability, quality and backup issues that may (like with Proton 20 years+ ago) put that rise into reverse.

I agree that the EU is probably likely to somehow 'protect' local vested interests via putting tariffs on Chinese-made cars if the major players complain enough (or using 'other incentives').

The problem is that unless those currently 'new' cars that are very expensive (EVs or not) suddenly have shockingly bad depreciation (and there are signs EVs at least are, making buying one a bad financial prospect for both the private buyer or those offering them on PCP), then second hand sales of them will be very disappointing, which means increasingly more and more people will be buying older cars than before, increasing demand and keeping prices way to high.

That's a disaster in the making, rather like ballooning house prices, especially when so many people are buying on credit these days and an economic collapse (and thus 1930s-style depression) is still very much on the cards, only kept at bay via dodgy financial sleights-of-hand by Central Banks and governments to pluck more and more fake money out of thin air to temporarily inflate away the huge debts the world has.

Although it is easy to look solely at the purchase price, it is worth noting that EV fuel costs are currently very much lower than ICE.

Based on Autotrader - new ICE cars start at ~£12k (Picanto) and £20k gets you a Vitara, 208 etc. Go to £25k for an EV and there is reasonable choice.

Whether £20k is affordable depends on personal finances. Leases for similar cars cost from ~£200 pm. There has never been a time when all could afford a new car.

An EV (at 4 miles per kwh) costs around 7p per mile for electricity at standard rate. ICE at (say) 50mpg costs 14p per mile. Over 10000 miles pa a saving of £700.

Paying more for an EV can make sense. On a lease it is easy to see that an extra (say) £50 per month is covered by fuel not purchased. One could argue endlessly about zero cost PV charging vs high cost fast chargers - but a waste of effort.

If you believe that depreciation on EVs is shockingly bad, you don't have to buy one - or buy one that has already depreciated. Folk can make up their own minds what to buy and why - it doesn't matter what you think.

Whilst in some ways I share your concern about the level of household debt in the UK, but it has not changed significantly in 15 years. United Kingdom Households Debt To GDP (tradingeconomics.com)

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - Bromptonaut

Although it is easy to look solely at the purchase price, it is worth noting that EV fuel costs are currently very much lower than ICE.

For an awful lot of folks it's the monthly PCP cost not Cash that determines choices.

If you believe that depreciation on EVs is shockingly bad, you don't have to buy one - or buy one that has already depreciated

Not everyone is in rent a car for life band. Different people have different needs. I think current group of EV owners can be broadly classed under 2 groups

1. Bought on principle e.g. assuming helping environment
  2. Bought because of tax or related incentives

Lower running cost does not help if it is eclipsed by higher purchase cost.

The key question is, why an average consumer (who has does not care/believe environmental aspect) would buy EV in the first place when ICE/HEV is cheaper, more convenient and offers some environmental creds (P/HEVs).

Most purchase decisions (not just cars) are pivoted around 2 factors - cost and convenience. There are sometimes a 3rd factor like desirability/fashion statement etc.

EV currently loses out on both cost and convenience. More so, battery technology is evolving fast meaning future EVs will be better (just like phones). This is clearly demonstrated how Tesla's Cybertruck batteries are lot more efficient compared to its previous models.

IMHO, to encourage public to buy EVs, the cost needs to come down and convenience should be at par with ICE cars. There should be options to upgrade battery (at a reduced price) or make batteries modular (i.e. not fixed with the car itself).

Just read that Toyota axed hydrogen cars. So EV is indeed the future but the technology needs to mature further before it achieves widespread adoption.

www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/hybrid-electric-cars/toyo.../

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - Adampr

"Tax or related incentives" = cost.

As for convenience; at the risk of repeating myself indefinitely, I have off street parking and found an EV more convenient.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - Andrew-T

<< Lower running cost does not help if it is eclipsed by higher purchase cost. >>

Well, it will mitigate the higher purchase cost, especially if you do high mileage !

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - barney100

Lower running costs are indeed no incentive if you've paid out many a thousand over the ice car price.

Affordable is a bogus non sensical way of describing cost. Figures work better. A luxury yacht is affordable to some, as is a billion pound house, and a Rolls Royce ( this years model)

I hardly think that £20k for a small car is termed as 'affordable'. Not that long ago similar sized new cars could be had for half that amount.

You are forgetting the world has been through a period of high inflation. That £20k car even allowing for inflation alone (no price increases) was a £15995 car pre-COVID. You can probably get a couple of grand off most £20k cars so actually it was more like a £14k car in 2019. "Nearly new" deals are also coming back on stream.

Yes, new cars are more expensive but what isn't?

You are forgetting the world has been through a period of high inflation. That £20k car even allowing for inflation alone (no price increases) was a £15995 car pre-COVID. You can probably get a couple of grand off most £20k cars so actually it was more like a £14k car in 2019. "Nearly new" deals are also coming back on stream.

Yes, new cars are more expensive but what isn't?

I wasn't forgetting the high inflation period - that inflation on 'ordinary' ICE cars is partly due to the affects of the pandemic response, but a decent amount is also due to increased vehicle emissions and 'safety' regulations, most of which in my view have been wrongly implemented at all (i.e. the cost-benefit of doing so is very poor) and/or hurried through by virtue-signally legislators to impress the media and certain 'stakeholders' (who aren't the vast majority of voters).

About 5 years or so ago, many 'city cars' would have an RRP around the £10k mark, some less, and with deals you could often get a base spec for well under that. Now most start (you'd be lucky to get much of a deal now) at nearly twice that, if they offer such a model at all.

Many makes have stopped making city cars and even superminis because they cannot sell them at the higher prices to make a profit precisely because they MUST come with all the new fangled emissions kit, and to some degree, safety kit. They'd be slated in the MSM for a 2 or 3 star NCAP rating, despite the actual safety being better the those measured under the NCAP standard just a few years ago and would get 5 stars. They aren't 'unsafe' at all.

EVs are even 'worse', given how expensive the equipment is in relation to the size and performance of the car. This is why small car sales have been dropping away and manufacturers are just making most new ones a LOT bigger, but once the initial 'rush' of the rich and virtue-signalling well-off middle classes dies down, who else is left to buy high-spec larger SUV/crossover MHEVs / PHEVs / EVs? Very few I would guess.

In such circumstances, what can car manufacturers do, especially when really daft policies like ours (and many other governments) mandating they sell X% EVs per year or they get fined - all this does is compound the issue, because it means manufacturers will either have to sell EVs at a loss (and increasingly so as the market shrinks) or offer them for sale at price to make a decent return, but have few sales and thus get heavily fined and/or downsize the company.

Similarly with second hand cars - I can see many sellers going under soon. A local outlet that was a Vauxhall dealer was bought about 2 years ago by a multi-franchise outfit (many different makes) for second-hand sales (often other-make PXes from their other dealerships) and Vauxhall/general servicing. From what I saw on Thursday, they've just closed, at least the car sales part, as all of their stock was being carted off in transporter lorries.

My local Mazda dealer (and noticeably many other main dealers across all makes in the area) have vastly less second hand cars for sale than a year ago. Prices are now falling, so how are they going to make a profit?

In my view, many Western car firms will go under in the next decade if the policy direction continues, which will only benefit the Chinese (as it did with electronics and clothing) until their cost base increases sufficiently so that they get affected in a similar way.

City cars are not now close to £20k. For less than £14k you could buy a brand new Picanto, Fiat 500, MG3, Sandero, or C3 (Autotrader)

New car sales in every month in 2023 are higher than the same month in 2022. For every new car sold there is a second hand car which needs to be sold to the next owner.

Unless they are going into stock they must be selling - trade in values may be down, dealers may be making less profit, but if prices are lower it benefits the new owner.

Many s/h cars are now sold through car supermarkets and online which increasingly dominate the up to 4/5 year old market. Main dealers will find themselves side-lined by leasing and PCP companies who want a simple way to dispose of end of term stock.

BEV sales in 2023 are up 36% compared to 2022. This may not be as high as the government wants but it is an increasing market. If manufacturers need to reduce prices to increase sales that can only to the benefit of buyers.

City cars are not now close to £20k. For less than £14k you could buy a brand new Picanto, Fiat 500, MG3, Sandero, or C3 (Autotrader)

Good luck finding one, and that's base models with practically nothing on them and slowwww. Nothing from Ford, VW, etc, etc. To get a reasonable spec (but not flashy), you need a LOT more than the base spec models. I checked the KIA website and noted that the Picanto 1 is a 66PS 1L petrol and no A/C.

Even so, many of those cars were costing well under £10k not that long ago.

New car sales in every month in 2023 are higher than the same month in 2022. For every new car sold there is a second hand car which needs to be sold to the next owner.

That's hardly a great thing, given how much lower sales are compared to prior to the pandemic, and sales had, if I recall, not been that great over the previous few years prior to that precisely because of the reasons I gave. That new laws/regulations made manufacturers drop many small cars is to me rather revealing.

Unless they are going into stock they must be selling - trade in values may be down, dealers may be making less profit, but if prices are lower it benefits the new owner.

Many s/h cars are now sold through car supermarkets and online which increasingly dominate the up to 4/5 year old market. Main dealers will find themselves side-lined by leasing and PCP companies who want a simple way to dispose of end of term stock.

Motorpoint, for example is currently selling 4778 cars. Whilst that's well up on the 3000 or so during the worst of the lockdown periods, it's still significantly below the 6000 - 7000 when I bought my car in 2006, which stayed roughly constant for the next 10 years, until, I would note, many of the new emissions and safety regs came into effect.

This appeared to bump up the price of many smaller / basic cars to unaffordable levels for many, and to me likely contributing to a drop in sales of new cars which won't be made up by bigger ones for obvious reasons.

BEV sales in 2023 are up 36% compared to 2022. This may not be as high as the government wants but it is an increasing market. If manufacturers need to reduce prices to increase sales that can only to the benefit of buyers.

Manufacturers will only reduced BEV prices if they can do so and still make a profit on them - pointless otherwise, given profitability is the whole point of running a business. Even for Elon Musk, who dropped prices on Teslas, won't be able to keep that going indefinitely.

Selling products at a loss when sales of other products aren't good (for the reasons I gave) either won't exactly be good for business. There's only so much they can do to reduce costs, especially via improved engineering, which takes many years to R&D.

The government mandates are just ridiculous as regards sales numbers and fines. It's not as though the car manufacturers can make people buy EVs if they just can't afford them. If it means their car sales tank on their own or are deliberately engineered to avoid the savage fines, surely this will lead to many firms going under or being bought up by the Chinese a-la MG.

Many makes have stopped making city cars and even superminis because they cannot sell them at the higher prices to make a profit precisely because they MUST come with all the new fangled emissions kit, and to some degree, safety kit. They'd be slated in the MSM for a 2 or 3 star NCAP rating, despite the actual safety being better the those measured under the NCAP standard just a few years ago and would get 5 stars. They aren't 'unsafe' at all.

EVs are even 'worse', given how expensive the equipment is in relation to the size and performance of the car. This is why small car sales have been dropping away and manufacturers are just making most new ones a LOT bigger, but once the initial 'rush' of the rich and virtue-signalling well-off middle classes dies down, who else is left to buy high-spec larger SUV/crossover MHEVs / PHEVs / EVs? Very few I would guess.

There have been no new substantial emission changes since Euro 6 in 2015 and, for petrol, changes since 2005 have actually been quite minor (hence Euro 4 petrol cars being ULEZ compliant). Euro 7, although watered down, presents new challenges in 2025 but isn't the reason for current prices.

The main reason is European manufactures having an ever increasing cost base on energy, labour and components making it difficult to make a profit on smaller cars. It was, in fact, ALWAYS difficult to make a profit on them hence the extended production time for many models.

The good news is the smaller car isn't dead and EV might be its saviour. There are some really interesting models coming along soon including the aforementioned 5. I agree European manufacturers are under a big threat from China and China will be providing many volume models. It'll be interesting to see how much the BYD Seagull ends up costing in the UK as an example of a cheap, small, EV which could redefine the market.

I think you are being far too negative on the future. Long term EVs have the potential to be cheap and have great packaging. There will always be cheap cars about - you can find cheap, decent, cars on the used market today if you look and there is no particular reason that won't continue. I doubt a 10 year old example of one of today's EVs will be worth any more than a 12-plate ICE car is now.

Edited by pd on 03/12/2023 at 18:35

There have been no new substantial emission changes since Euro 6 in 2015 and, for petrol, changes since 2005 have actually been quite minor (hence Euro 4 petrol cars being ULEZ compliant). Euro 7, although watered down, presents new challenges in 2025 but isn't the reason for current prices.

The main reason is European manufactures having an ever increasing cost base on energy, labour and components making it difficult to make a profit on smaller cars. It was, in fact, ALWAYS difficult to make a profit on them hence the extended production time for many models.

The good news is the smaller car isn't dead and EV might be its saviour. There are some really interesting models coming along soon including the aforementioned 5. I agree European manufacturers are under a big threat from China and China will be providing many volume models. It'll be interesting to see how much the BYD Seagull ends up costing in the UK as an example of a cheap, small, EV which could redefine the market.

I think you are being far too negative on the future. Long term EVs have the potential to be cheap and have great packaging. There will always be cheap cars about - you can find cheap, decent, cars on the used market today if you look and there is no particular reason that won't continue. I doubt a 10 year old example of one of today's EVs will be worth any more than a 12-plate ICE car is now.

EVs will ONLY be a draw to people on lower incomes if they can easily, safely and cheaply charge it at home and/or somewhere convenient in their area/on the way to work, etc, like with ICE filling stations.

The latter is still a long way off (with charging prices going up, not down), and with the former, most people in that affordability bracket live in flats and terraced housing, where home charging is either physically impossible (nowhere to put the chargers or their car is parked on-road/away from their home with no 'charging post' nearby or that is secure [vandalism]), unsafe/unsecure, or not allowed by their home's lease agreement.

Where I live (a flat on a 20yo development), we don't have the space, and just as important, not the money to pay for the charging infrastructure needed to install them, even if we did have the space.

To save that up would take many years, with those contributing early on perhaps never benefitting from doing so - hardly fair. As a Residents Association (private - all unadopted roads, so no council help there - quite common in newer estates these days), we/re also not allowed to borrow money either (not uncommon), so how exactly would it be done?

I think I'm being realistic - I'm not saying these thing will never happen, but they are being rushed through on way too short a timescale before a) the tech is mature (reliable AND cheap without taxpayer subsidy) and b) the infrastructure is there (including electricity generation and distribution) to cope.

Not because the world genuinely IS experiencing a 'climate emergency' or 'global boiling' or whatever scarified buzzwords the puppet politicians and their rich and powerful handlers think up this week, but because those pushing it are doing so to significantly benefit them and their control over the ordinary people of this world.

People are now waking up to the horrendous depreciation of EVs - now that won't be a problem to the 'don't care' brigade - the ultra wealthy and well off virtue-signallers who can take the financial hit in return for 'appearing to look good' in the eyes of the MSM, but going down the scale, someone who buys a £30k EV hoping it'll last well until they PX it for another after (say) 5 years will be in for a BIG shock when they find it is practically worthless and far less than a similarly priced ICE car.

There's a big financial shock coming (the authorities have been desperately scrambling to inflate the debts away and hide the malfeasance for decades now), and people won't take kindly to their still quite new EV being worth buttons after just a short period of time.

That's why (as well as the fire/insurance and charging/usage issues) demand has already started to wane, and will do far more so as the cohort of the very well off doesn't need to buy an EV because they already have one they bought a year or two ago.

I bought my current car nearly 18 years ago for £10k. Why would I pay 3x that amount to buy something similar in size (I don't need all the extra performance) but that has realistically half the range and which I have no chance in charging at home and very limited elsewhere in my area? Especially as the economy could go pop at any time?

I mean, seriously - what were the politicians and officials (so-called 'experts') thinking (of all stripes) by pushing / introducing such mandates I've mentioned precisely when most people and the wider nation(s) could not afford them? They must either be unbelievably daft or controlled by people who don't have our best interests at heart (well, you know which I believe).

Fair number of small cars still available in the £15-£17k range.

Certainly the pandemic and follow on supply chain problems kept real prices near to list until perhaps as late as this year. I was kicking my heels in a joint Citroen and Vauxhall dealership on Monday and there were new unregistered cars in the showroom stickered with very significant discounts from list.

I'm happy to be confronted with evidence I'm wrong but have the major advances in crashworthiness and on board safety etc gadgetry happened since 2020? A lot of what looks and feels new does little more than tie pre existing stuff together and control it via a tablet type screen which won't be costing thousands.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - Ethan Edwards

Apparently Tebay services has run out of fuel due to the inclement weather. Luckily its unlikely they've run out of Electricity for recharging my EV.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - alan1302

Apparently Tebay services has run out of fuel due to the inclement weather. Luckily its unlikely they've run out of Electricity for recharging my EV.

As long as the inclement weather has not knocked out the electricity supply of course ;-)

Perhaps but a maybe is still better than a definite no fuel available.

Give it up, stop making people who you wouldn't like to meet, richer.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - Steveieb

Regarding the snow affecting Cumbia . I would prefer to be stranded in an ICE car than an EV as it’s likely to keep you warm longer.

My neighbour got held up in a traffic jam on the M1 in his Taycan and the car had to be recovered and he was rescued and completed his journey in an ICE car

Regarding the snow affecting Cumbia . I would prefer to be stranded in an ICE car than an EV as it’s likely to keep you warm longer.

So you'd rather be stranded in an ICE car with, say, an eighth of a tank of fuel rather than an EV with three quarters of a charge?

At the risk of stating the bleedin' obvious, how long either will keep you warm will depend solely on how much "fuel" each has!.

My neighbour got held up in a traffic jam on the M1 in his Taycan and the car had to be recovered and he was rescued and completed his journey in an ICE car

All that means is that he didn't have a lot of charge left when he got stuck in stationary traffic. Same thing would have happened had he been in an ICE car with a more or less empty fuel tank.

It must have been a long hold up (or they were very low on charge).
An EV typically draws 1kW to keep the cabin heated or cooled, so with even the Taycan’s smaller battery option (79kW/h) that’s over three days.

You do realise an EV will keep you warm for two days. Just how long a delay were you anticipating?

When idling your using a lot more energy ( and wasting a lot) but a stationary EV uses very little. It's just efficiency. A 200mile EV 50kwh has the equivalent of a gallon and a half of energy onboard. Where I believe 33.7kwh is equivalent to a Gallon of unleaded .

In this case the Taycan had to be recovered to a charge point . But an ICE could be on the way if the rescue services delivered some fuel !

In this case the Taycan had to be recovered to a charge point . But an ICE could be on the way if the rescue services delivered some fuel !

ISTR that some rescue vehicles now have on board chargers to get enough 'juice' into an EV for it to get home or to a proper charging point.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - gordonbennet

ISTR that some rescue vehicles now have on board chargers to get enough 'juice' into an EV for it to get home or to a proper charging point.

Presumably a Diesel or petrol powered generator.:-)

Not being snidey but oh the irony...hope the genny has a DPF...

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - alan1302

Presumably a Diesel or petrol powered generator.:-)

Not being snidey but oh the irony...hope the genny has a DPF...

Could always be done from a charged battery.

It's pretty nigh impossible to inadvertently run out of power. After all when was the last time you spluttered to a halt out of petrol? Right pretty much never. There are now over 45000 public chargers in the UK. If you're going to run out of power and be stuck, you'd have to really work at it..

Your conversation regarding this is simply pub talk. Mate of a mate, well his mate reckons his neighbours mate has an atom bomb in his loft. It's all true yada yada..

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 07/12/2023 at 17:53

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - focussed
The 5 isn’t being officially unveiled until Geneva at the end of February, so I’d say that speculation on its list price three months ahead of that is a touch speculative. Don’t forget, also, that Dacia’s Spring is hitting the same showrooms in 2024 at a lower price. www.dacia.co.uk/vehicles/spring.html

The Dacia Spring is available in France to individuals (private owners) from €15,800.

A further deduction of €2500 can be obtained by sc***ping a diesel or petrol vehicle.

Initial price of €20,800 before deduction of the ecological bonus

Price including tax for full purchase (battery included) excluding options for individuals according to recommended manufacturer's price. Ecological bonus deducted set at 27% of the acquisition cost including tax of the new vehicle up to €5,000 (decree no. 2022-1761 of 12/30/2022). See www.service-public.fr. Conversion bonus of €2,500 not deducted, subject to eligibility and sc***ping of a private vehicle or van registered before 2011 for a diesel or before 2006 for a gasoline.

www.dacia.fr/gamme-electrique-et-hybride/spring-el...l

(For the full conditions click the i symbol next to the €15,800 price)

A motor per wheel has always previously been dismissed because of the huge unsprung weight penalty incurred, which would mean huge spring rates to control the wheel’s vertical motion.

Hyundai have a different solution -

youtu.be/Nd6C0y8xc20?si=4b6CkkiNdha6M1tL

Certainly a very interesting concept. I wonder if the effect of moving a significant amount of weight to the area of the wheel and tyre will necessitate any change in design of them to cope?

Let's also hope they make the units very robust, as they are near the edge of the car and could be more easily damaged in relatively minor accidents, and through general wear and tear may also leak lubricating oils onto the brakes and tyres - the last two components you want oil to get anywhere near.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - Bolt

Certainly a very interesting concept. I wonder if the effect of moving a significant amount of weight to the area of the wheel and tyre will necessitate any change in design of them to cope?

Let's also hope they make the units very robust, as they are near the edge of the car and could be more easily damaged in relatively minor accidents, and through general wear and tear may also leak lubricating oils onto the brakes and tyres - the last two components you want oil to get anywhere near.

I think you will find the idea has been tried before and didn`t work, the planetary gears kept shearing, so they resorted to the original idea of fitting the motor directly in the hub, the company that makes them in iirc California couldn`t make the gear system work due to the shear forces on the gears, its a lot of shear forces to put on a small gear and hardly any oil feed unless they`ve altered that but it wont compensate for the shear forces exerted on the gears

I wonder if it will happen, I doubt it as it would be better to put the motor in the wheel or hub

how long either will keep you warm will depend solely on how much "fuel" each has!.

Indeed.

Here is some technical details on this topic.

www.recurrentauto.com/research/cold-weather-idling...v

TL;DR

You'd get more or less same duration of heating in both ICE and EV depending on fuel/battery capacity.

On same note, I wonder whether (P)HEV will be better in this context. It can use engine to heat as well charge battery and then shut engine down while providing heating via battery.

Very crudely the amount of heating energy stored is proportionate to the distance it could travel but for the hold up.

So an EV with a remaining range of (say) 160 miles (40kwh) will have broadly the same amount of useful energy stored as a petrol tank with ~4 gallons at 40mpg. Or a hybrid with 3 galls and 10kwh.

Sales figures of EV are in for November and they are not looking too good with private sales taking the biggest hit.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/electric-car-sales-plummet-after-government-u-turn-5f6p3zcpz

Sales figures of EV are in for November and they are not looking too good with private sales taking the biggest hit.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/electric-car-sales-plummet-after-government-u-turn-5f6p3zcpz

Saw that in the Telegraph yesterday - a whopping 17% drop. Not clear though in the DT article whether that was a year-on-year drop or month-on-month. Still bad though, and apparently the worst since the lockdown-imposed stoppages hit.

I think the message of the reality of EV ownership, higher costs (charging and insurance) and the runaway fires are starting to more than take the shine off the EV market.

If, as I fear, the impending big recession hits any time soon, it won't be just private sales affected, especially as governments look to replace the substantial tax revenues lost when people change from ICE cars to EVs.

Those nice cushy benefits companies currently get for buying/leasing EVs will surely go, just as they did for diesels some years ago.

Cost

The cost of a charger and installation combined starts from around £900. The charger type location and the length of the cable are all factors that will affect the price.

Everything you need to know about installing an electric vehicle charger (msn.com)

No surprise on EV sales volume.

But I am really surprised to see diesels selling in such low numbers. Those who do long journeys, a diesel is still a good choice.

No surprise on EV sales volume.

But I am really surprised to see diesels selling in such low numbers. Those who do long journeys, a diesel is still a good choice.

Not if you have to pay £12 or whatever it is to drive into the city at the end of your journey.

I occasionally ponder getting a diesel as I drive mostly on the motorway or in rural areas, but all the faff of paying every time I go into Bristol puts me off.

I thought latest diesels are ULEZ compliant.

I thought latest diesels are ULEZ compliant.

They (Euro 6) are for now. Ten years ago, though, there was no ULEZ, there was no Bristol CAZ and there were none of the others. They are set locally and there's nothing to stop a metro mayor from banning all diesels. People look at the trajectory and predict the future rather than relying on the present.

I think there will be some diesel bargains emerging soon.

In fairness one of the reasons for the drop in EV registrations is the odd way Tesla register in batches. They registered a big batch in November 2022 but not in 2023 which has effected the figures.

There's no doubt though that private EV sales are an issue and it is almost certainly down to price. Take away all the very beneficial fleet/company tax advantages which can make a £45k EV cheaper overall than a £25k ICE and the price premium no longer stacks up to the same degree.

Edited by pd on 05/12/2023 at 23:22

A recent consideration is the price of electricity due to the Ukraine/Russia situation and the resulting explosion in gas costs. If you are having to charge at public charge points, there is effectively little or no saving on fuel costs.

It is noticeable that whilst the price of electricity has dropped a lot in the past year from about 52p/Kwh to about 28p a Kwh (although on a variable rate I am paying about 20p today) the cost of most public chargers has barely changed at all.

We think petrol and diesel retailers are bad at passing on wholesale price drops but the EV charger brigade are a whole new level.....

True but of course some of the Rocket and Feather petrol retailers are also in the Electricity supply game.

Luckily 95% of EV owners don't regularly use public chargers. I'm paying 4.5p a kw at the moment in my daily night rate.

True but of course some of the Rocket and Feather petrol retailers are also in the Electricity supply game.

True, although with public chargers (maybe excepting Tesla) it isn't so much rocket and feather as rocket and......nothing.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - barney100

I have a diesel but never now go near any place that charges to drive in. If we go to the theatre or whatever London is out of places to go, lots of provincial alternatives.

Going back a few posts to the power consumption of an EV whilst stationary, I believe it’s currently 8 degrees in Leeds (where I am today) and the interior temperature is set to 21 degrees.
Instant consumption is 1kW, except when the wipers do their bit and it flicks momentarily to 2kW.
I’ve an 86% battery, so with 86% charge in an 82kWh battery, there’s probably another 60 hours of charge to continue doing what it’s doing.

1drv.ms/i/s!AuMkRafLnOYXg6lE_smHlAw3PI_QOw
Noted this week that VW are introducing bi-directional charging on their latest ID range (77kWh).
With an output of 10kW car to home, it’ll output DC which will need to be converted to AC in the house.
It’s anticipated that the car will power a typical house for about two days.
Or, if you combine it with solar and charge the car for free during the day, then run the house from it at night when demands on the grid are at their highest.
Obviously if you need to do 300 miles non-stop the following day you run the house from the grid.

www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/electric-and-hybrid/discov...l

Edited by mcb100 on 08/12/2023 at 13:56

Noted this week that VW are introducing bi-directional charging on their latest ID range (77kWh). With an output of 10kW car to home, it’ll output DC which will need to be converted to AC in the house. It’s anticipated that the car will power a typical house for about two days. Or, if you combine it with solar and charge the car for free during the day, then run the house from it at night when demands on the grid are at their highest. Obviously if you need to do 300 miles non-stop the following day you run the house from the grid. www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/electric-and-hybrid/discov...l

Only if the grid doesn't take it via that lovely 'smart' meter installed. ;-)

Latest figures from Zap-map show that as of the end of November there were 53,209 public chargers in the UK in 30,853 locations.
That’s 1513 new devices in just the month of November, and a 46% increase since November 2022.
The number of home chargers is more difficult to pin down, but probably close on 500,000.

www.zap-map.com/ev-stats/how-many-charging-points

That's encouraging. Though I do wonder how many are faulty and awaiting repair.

‘ That's encouraging. Though I do wonder how many are faulty and awaiting repair.’

Apart from the seeming inability/unwillingness of Charge Point Scotland to provide a level of customer service (as witnessed on another thread), from my experience south of Hadrian’s Wall the vast majority are functioning.
Private enterprise is out performing a devolved government facility.

How surprising....

Any - Tesla - recall - mcb100
Looking there’s a huge recall being implemented in the US - up to two million Teslas produced since 2015.
The word ‘recall’ is being used, but in reality it’s an over the air update sent to the car.
It’s connected with Tesla’s Autopilot feature (they have a greater degree of autonomy over there than we get here), and is a result of a two year investigation into 956 accidents in which autonomy could have played a part.
Any - Tesla - recall - Brit_in_Germany

And Tesla is arguing that curtailing the misrepresentation of the Autopilot capabilities infringes the US constitutional right to free speech.

Any - Tesla - recall - movilogo

but in reality it’s an over the air update sent to the car

This is why Tesla cars have so few hardware interfaces e.g. switches, stalks etc.

Fewer the hardware, easier to reconfigure everything via software.

One year old Hyundai Ionis written off after damage to battery cover - Steveieb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr3mFzh0KSk

The cost of the battery at 60,000 Canadian dollars exceeded the value of a one year old car !

One year old Hyundai Ionis written off after damage to battery cover - Engineer Andy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr3mFzh0KSk

The cost of the battery at 60,000 Canadian dollars exceeded the value of a one year old car !

Which is why, once this sort of thing is known more widely, second hand values of EVs will plummet even more (especially after 5 years) and financing costs (i.e. pcp deals) will increase significantly to compensate.

If car and battery manufacturers cannot get costs down significantly (and that includes being able to easily access and cheaply replace battery modules with long-lasting, reliable generic units) - not just for new cars coming in 5 years but for compatible replacements in existing EVs, then why would anyone on lowish incomes ever want to buy a 10yo+ EV that could effectively be a waste of money within a year if sufficient numbers of battery modules expire?

At least with ICE cars, rarely does an engine expire in its entirety or enough to warrant the car being sc***ped. Normally it's corrosion that leads to their demise, or perhaps (more recently) updated emissions restrictions on driving into cities, which at least are given with a modicum of prior warning.

One year old Hyundai Ionis written off after damage to battery cover - pd

At least with ICE cars, rarely does an engine expire in its entirety or enough to warrant the car being sc***ped. Normally it's corrosion that leads to their demise, or perhaps (more recently) updated emissions restrictions on driving into cities, which at least are given with a modicum of prior warning.

Not true. Corrosion is quite a rare sc***ping cause. It is far more common to be electrics or mechanical or a combination of things making it uneconomic to repair.

It's quite often drivetrain related - can be the engine but just as often clutch/gearbox or a mystery electronics fault the cost of finding exceeds the value of the car.

One year old Hyundai Ionis written off after damage to battery cover - Terry W

Youtube is clearly an authoritative source of reliable information, or those who paid the bill are complete plonkers, their naivety exploited by an unprincipled dealer.

To draw any conclusions as to the wisdom of buying an EV based on this is facile.

That a complete new car can be bought for less (complete with seats, wheels, motors, windscreen etc etc etc suggests they have been grossly overcharged, not that battery replacement (if it was indeed necessary) costs renders EVs uneconomic.

One year old Hyundai Ionis written off after damage to battery cover - pd

Youtube is clearly an authoritative source of reliable information, or those who paid the bill are complete plonkers, their naivety exploited by an unprincipled dealer.

I'm sure had it been a 10+ year old car they'd have never taken it to a dealer and just carried on driving it perfectly well as it was.

It doesn't appear as if there was anything wrong with it as such and seems to be a lack of knowledge and experience of dealing with damage by the insurance company / dealer / manufacturer as much as anything else.

One year old Hyundai Ionis written off after damage to battery cover - Brit_in_Germany

It sounds as if the car is too new and Hyundai haven't got round to introducing a replacement battery programme for this car. As a result, to change the battery requires a special logistics chain to be set up, which results in the crazy price tag.

One year old Hyundai Ionis written off after damage to battery cover - Brit_in_Germany

The replacement cost for all the Ioniq's battery modules is around €20 000 here. As it is a modular system though, you would only be replacing the failed modules initially.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, lithium ion cell costs are down to just over £70 per kW/h (massively lower than even 12 months ago), and the cells typically form 78% of the total pack price.
Leading to just under £4500 for a 50kW/h battery.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - madf
Meanwhile, back in the real world, lithium ion cell costs are down to just over £70 per kW/h (massively lower than even 12 months ago), and the cells typically form 78% of the total pack price. Leading to just under £4500 for a 50kW/h battery.

Just proving the rule that early adopters of new technology pay a premium. (often very large.)

I note Honda on their website are offering a £8k contribution to the list cost of C£48k for their new EV..

‘ Just proving the rule that early adopters of new technology pay a premium. (often very large.)’

‘Twas ever thus. The first DVD players were close on £1000 in 1996, but I can now buy one on Amazon for £22.76.

Does anyone know what price per kWh batteries need to fall to for the manufacturing cost of an EV to match that of an equivalent ICE?

Does anyone know what price per kWh batteries need to fall to for the manufacturing cost of an EV to match that of an equivalent ICE?

It's more complicated then that as purchase price is only part of the equation. Running costs both fuel and servicing are lower for electrics. Article from the Graun looks at real world numbers:

www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/16/are-elect...s

It's more complicated then that as purchase price is only part of the equation. Running costs both fuel and servicing are lower for electrics. Article from the Graun looks at real world numbers:

www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/16/are-elect...s

It depends upon where you mainly recharge it though, given how they are now comparable in price with ICE fuels in costs per mile now as electricity costs are high and fuel going lower, for the moment.

Plus insurance costs going up much more steeply for and depreciation of EVs following the uncertainty around repair costs and prevalence / costs of battery-induced fires.

I also suspect that sooner rather than later, VED and 'congestion' charges will also be applied and/or higher levels to EVs once local and national authorities realise their funding streams are drying up.

As with any car, how much, when and how you you use the car can make an enormous difference to what type will be cost effective over the long run - not just how long you intend to keep the current car, but over much longer periods, because depreciation and battery replacement costs need to be factored in.

I suspect soon the environmental and societal impacts of mining components and making EV batteries will start to push up costs, as more and more people demand more ethical sourcing of the former and treatment of people making the parts.

I've read several reports over the last year or so that also show that there is a big (and growing) gap between demand for the raw materials (especially lithium and cobalt) and suppliers able to provide those products, which will inevitably push prices up even further, especially as recycling such batteries is very difficult and expensive, as it is very labour and energy intensive.

As with any car, how much, when and how you you use the car can make an enormous difference to what type will be cost effective over the long run - not just how long you intend to keep the current car, but over much longer periods, because depreciation and battery replacement costs need to be factored in.

Is battery replacement really something needing to be factored in? How common is it in the real world as most manufacturers don't even seem to offer replacement schemes due to lack of demand.

OK, so you get the odd isolated incident but it doesn't seem common, yet, anyway.

Is battery replacement really something needing to be factored in? How common is it in the real world as most manufacturers don't even seem to offer replacement schemes due to lack of demand.

OK, so you get the odd isolated incident but it doesn't seem common, yet, anyway.

Battery replacement should be factored in - whether you intend to keep the car for the anticipated life of the overall battery system or not, because the costs (outside of the warranty) will affect the second hand value.

Originally, many people (in my view) wrongly thought this would only hit values when such cars reached around the decade old mark, but thinking about it closer, that only is the case if the current owner has owned the car for a long time. If it goes through an owner every (say) three years, then each owner doesn't want to initially pay over the odds for a car that will depreciate badly due to battery replacement concerns / costs.

Each subsequent owner has to consider what the next one will offer, and so on. The big difference compared to ICE cars is where EV costs are low, then come in very big amounts relative to what the owner can afford.

More modern (post 2015) ICE cars are a bit in the middle due to all the extra 'driver convenience', safety and emissions kit they come with - particularly because the latter two are often automatic MOT fails and/or expensive enough to make the car uneconomic to repair. Diesels far more so than petrols.

I think that punters are beginning to realise this and why, to start with, EV second hand values are falling dramatically (in addition to the battery fire / insurance / charging and general ownership concerns for some).

I suspect the type of ICE vehicles I spoke of will start to go in a similar direction sooner rather than later. From watching a few recent YT videos on the prices cars are getting second hand, especially at auction, this appears to be born out, with simpler, practical, petrol engined cars. Their values are holding up very well.

Battery replacement should be factored in - whether you intend to keep the car for the anticipated life of the overall battery system or not, because the costs (outside of the warranty) will affect the second hand value.

Originally, many people (in my view) wrongly thought this would only hit values when such cars reached around the decade old mark, but thinking about it closer, that only is the case if the current owner has owned the car for a long time. If it goes through an owner every (say) three years, then each owner doesn't want to initially pay over the odds for a car that will depreciate badly due to battery replacement concerns / costs.

More modern (post 2015) ICE cars are a bit in the middle due to all the extra 'driver convenience', safety and emissions kit they come with - particularly because the latter two are often automatic MOT fails and/or expensive enough to make the car uneconomic to repair. Diesels far more so than petrols.

I think that punters are beginning to realise this and why, to start with, EV second hand values are falling dramatically (in addition to the battery fire / insurance / charging and general ownership concerns for some).

EVs drop from new a lot because their (high) new prices are artificially subsidised by tax breaks which do not apply on the used market. Despite that residuals are very good for some makes with a base Model 3 for example currently retaining 50% or so of list at 3 years 36k miles which is actually historically very good.

Used buyers will buy EVs but they will not pay a headline price more than an equivalent ICE unlike the new buyer who to a certain extent disregards the difference due to the massive tax advantages.

As for diesels I do not agree. Sure, they can have problems but believe me plenty of petrols can and do as well. I buy a large number of cars a year and diesels are still usually pretty good and still have high demand on the used market. I'd also add used prices are still way above 3-4 years ago for all cars. Recent drops are manly for newer cars because new supply is, at last, back to something almost normal.

To get back to the point though there seems little evidence battery replacement is yet common or a real "thing" to the point that examples which have needed one seem to get their own individual Youtube video.

If you are going to make statements about EVs inevitably needed a battery replacement you need to back it up with evidence.

Edited by pd on 19/12/2023 at 13:12

If you are going to make statements about EVs inevitably needed a battery replacement you need to back it up with evidence.

That. Exactly.

I'm not aware of any real evidence from cars such as the Leaf or Zoe, both now ten + years in service needing batteries replaced because they've failed totally or range has become nugatory.

There may be an issue with Teslas particularly where water has entered the battery pack and/or with accident repairs but so far as I can see those are make/model problems and not something affecting the wider market.

Can Andy come up with anything?

EVs drop from new a lot because their (high) new prices are artificially subsidised by tax breaks which do not apply on the used market. Despite that residuals are very good for some makes with a base Model 3 for example currently retaining 50% or so of list at 3 years 36k miles which is actually historically very good.

The battery fire and reliability (with Tesla, who routinely come near bottom of the reliability charts as far as I recall) issues with new tech will contribute towards the effect, as will insurance problems. More so for the lower spec EVs where affordability issues will impact more than EVs bought by wealthy people who aren't so concerned about price or affordability.

Used buyers will buy EVs but they will not pay a headline price more than an equivalent ICE unlike the new buyer who to a certain extent disregards the difference due to the massive tax advantages.

Perhaps, but this is more because of most of them now being bought as company cars. I wouldn't be surprised once the impending economic downturn begins that this will drop out of considerations when companies severely cut back on spending. Then they will be drawn to the lower purchase price of ICE cars, and nearly new rather than new. Or keeping existing cars longer.

As for diesels I do not agree. Sure, they can have problems but believe me plenty of petrols can and do as well. I buy a large number of cars a year and diesels are still usually pretty good and still have high demand on the used market. I'd also add used prices are still way above 3-4 years ago for all cars. Recent drops are manly for newer cars because new supply is, at last, back to something almost normal.

It depends upon where you are in the country - Euro 6 diesels will do OK and older ones not around the ULEZ type areas, whilst well away from them, older, less complex cars may do OK because they have less to go wrong and are better suited to life in the countryside and motorway driving. Especially non-premium C-sized cars and below or proper [and reliable] 4x4s.

Round my way (as I indicated in another thread), local dealers are finding it really difficult to shift 'premium' Euro 5 diesels, especially larger cars and ones from brands associated with poor reliability, e.g. (IMHO) Jeep.

To get back to the point though there seems little evidence battery replacement is yet common or a real "thing" to the point that examples which have needed one seem to get their own individual Youtube video.

I was pointing out that people are possibly starting to think about future issues with the cars they are buying and adjust (down) the price they bid for them, because they don't want to be stuck with one that depreciates badly because of the next buyer thinking the same. I've seen a good few videos and articles now that have shown how certain types of vehicle are not selling as well second hand.

Sure, it may not be that way everywhere, but IMHO it appears to be a growing trend.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - Andrew-T
‘ Just proving the rule that early adopters of new technology pay a premium. (often very large.)’

Does anyone remember what a new hand-held calculator cost about 50 years ago ? When kids wanted one to take to school ? Throwaway items now - assuming you don't use that bit on your (not so) cheap phone.

As a trainee accountant ~50 years ago we all aspired to a Sinclair Cambridge calculator which retailed at ~£45 - equivalent to about 3 weeks net pay for an articled clerk. Only affordable by qualified guys!

Current equivalent would be ~£900 based on minimum wage of for a 20 year old.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - madf

I still have a working HP12C financial calculator. Cost £120 new - company provided. in 1981.Interest rates, DCFs, rates of return etc,, Reverse Polish notation but easy to use, (still have printed manual as well Spiral bound 250 pages A5..proper shiny paper..

I still have a working HP12C financial calculator. Cost £120 new - company provided. in 1981.Interest rates, DCFs, rates of return etc,, Reverse Polish notation but easy to use, (still have printed manual as well Spiral bound 250 pages A5..proper shiny paper..

I suggest you keep it and look after it - it's probably worth quite a bit more than the £120 you originally paid for it if its in good order.

The couple in a modified Nissan Ariya who left the North Pole in March have just completed their drive (17,000 miles) to the South Pole. It’s the first car, let alone an EV, to do this.
They used a towable wind turbine in the Arctic and took advantage of 24hour sunshine in the Antarctic to make use of solar panels.

www.thenissannext.com/en/PoletoPole.html
The couple in a modified Nissan Ariya who left the North Pole in March have just completed their drive (17,000 miles) to the South Pole. It’s the first car, let alone an EV, to do this. They used a towable wind turbine in the Arctic and took advantage of 24hour sunshine in the Antarctic to make use of solar panels. www.thenissannext.com/en/PoletoPole.html

"integrated espresso machine"?

Only the essentials then!.

The couple in a modified Nissan Ariya who left the North Pole in March have just completed their drive (17,000 miles) to the South Pole. It’s the first car, let alone an EV, to do this. They used a towable wind turbine in the Arctic and took advantage of 24hour sunshine in the Antarctic to make use of solar panels. www.thenissannext.com/en/PoletoPole.html

I have visions of Matt Damon driving a Martian rover towing a bunch of solar panels, then hanging around for 12 hrs per day to charge them...

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 3 - FoxyJukebox
I’m thinking of going electric. There are plenty of salesmen I can talk to but where can I get simple,easy to follow advice with costings on providing the right equipment I should get for my garage, off street parking area.?
What installation is involved, how much, who does it? , who maintains it? Charging costs?, necessary troubleshoots? Others experiences? The best links? The most reliable companies to research?
Many thanks
Have a chat, first of all, with your energy provider to see what they offer for EV owners.
Octopus have their ‘Agile’ tariff that reflects wholesale electricity prices every 30 minutes. Occasionally (when there’s excess power in the grid) you can be paid to charge an EV. But it is dependent on having a car or charge point that’s compatible. Not all are.
Charging costs are easy to work out - battery capacity in kW/h x unit cost of the electricity you’re putting into it. A 50kW/h battery charged at 7.5p per kW/h will cost about £4 to charge (allowing for losses).
If you’re on Facebook, there’ll inevitably be a group dedicated to any particular car in which you’ve an interest. Current owners are a great source of information.

Edited by mcb100 on 19/12/2023 at 09:40

Recommend you ask on here.

www.speakev.com/forums/ev-discussion/

EV charger...there's no choice anymore. You must have a 'smart' one. That said if your mobile phone signal isn't much where you live it'll operate like a dumb charger anyway. I schedule charging via the cars software . Works really well. Makes..there are many. All good but Zappi is a good choice especially if you have solar pv.

Time of Use tarriffs. Octopus, EDF (and hate to utter the words -British Gas)..do these. I'm with EDF. You get several hours each night of super cheap leccy.

My EVSE is located inside my garage. But next to your private parking space is just as good.

You'll be looking to install 7kw or 32 amp circuitry. So you'll need proper armoured cable, a spare circuit breaker on your Consumer Unit and a house main fuse of 100Amps but speak to a qualified sparky. There a company called 'P@@@@@@@t' who really wasted weeks of my time . Cost minimum 500 max couple of grand. But its a one off, if you do it right.

First thing is to write down over a month what your journeys are. Get an EV with sufficient range at a minimum to cover the regular ones add 20% as you lose range in cold-weather. Relax it's back in the summer. 99% of owners do not use public chargers at all. Except for those long exceptional trips. My longest trip 90 miles mine has 209m range wltp or actual 180m but being careful in summer...220m. Winter not being careful 160. All of which is plenty for me.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

‘That. Exactly.

I'm not aware of any real evidence from cars such as the Leaf or Zoe, both now ten + years in service needing batteries replaced because they've failed totally or range has become nugatory.

There may be an issue with Teslas particularly where water has entered the battery pack and/or with accident repairs but so far as I can see those are make/model problems and not something affecting the wider market.’

Just reading about a fleet of five Tesla Model S that operated from Gatwick Airport as taxis. Each racked up 100,000 miles a year, so 300,000 miles each over three years.
They were all run in Eco mode, so couldn’t be abused away from the lights, received no more than 30% DC charging (which is still way more than the majority of EV’s receive), but all had a battery capacity of around 82% after 300,000 miles.
Reports of EV’s needing battery swaps are grossly exaggerated.
‘That. Exactly. I'm not aware of any real evidence from cars such as the Leaf or Zoe, both now ten + years in service needing batteries replaced because they've failed totally or range has become nugatory. There may be an issue with Teslas particularly where water has entered the battery pack and/or with accident repairs but so far as I can see those are make/model problems and not something affecting the wider market.’ Just reading about a fleet of five Tesla Model S that operated from Gatwick Airport as taxis. Each racked up 100,000 miles a year, so 300,000 miles each over three years. They were all run in Eco mode, so couldn’t be abused away from the lights, received no more than 30% DC charging (which is still way more than the majority of EV’s receive), but all had a battery capacity of around 82% after 300,000 miles. Reports of EV’s needing battery swaps are grossly exaggerated.

There's a big difference between cars being used very sympathetically and those that aren't. The same would also apply to ICE vehicles. I once was driven in a diesel 406 taxi home from hospital (mid 2000s) that had done 450,000 miles and still going strong.

Tesla s starring on Netflix Christmas special. Not a great advert for the autonomous control system !

https://www.facebook.com/NetflixANZ/videos/leave-the-world-behind-tesla-crash-netflix/1105376017542584/

Battery longevity. It's guaranteed for 8 years. As do all EV manufacturers. But OK let's look at this. On average I charge it 4 times a week, let's say 200 times a year. Now I read its good for 10,000 cycles but let's play devils advocate and say 6000. Divided by 200 that's 30 years.

I'll be dead and buried by then.

Let's say it dies today. I can pick up a used pack with 220 miles on it for less than three grand.

Anyhow I'm three years into ownership and its all good.

Anyone on the Agile tariff from Octopus is getting a very cheap EV charge tonight. They may even be paid to import electricity.
With so much wind generation currently available, it suits electricity generators better to give it away, rather than slow down or stop turbines.
In the morning we’ll have EV’s charged from green electricity and potentially not having to charge when the supply network is burning fossil fuels. We’ll have lots of green energy banked in portable storage devices (EV’s).
And, at some point soon, EV owners will be able to sell that cheap, green energy back into the network.

Yep my goal in 24 is to up my domestic battery capacity. But it seems daft that I also have 84kwh sitting in my garage that is unusable. All I really need is 10kwh more...

Octopus Agile isn't for me. I don't own a compatible charger nor a compatible EV. May 24 my deal with EDF finishes...so I'm looking around for another deal soon. But even if its free it won't be BG.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 22/12/2023 at 23:50

This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 4 *****

Edited by Xileno on 23/12/2023 at 15:23