Any - Cataract Surgery - Orb>>

When I "retired from being a Mod" I was awaiting cataract surgery and other items on my agenda.

So nearly 4 months on, What a difference, still need specs for reading but vision 20/20 after seeing my lovely consultant and his team today. Well worth the temporary inconvenience.

Driving is so much better at night.

Macular degeneration is stable. no worsening for 2 years now, so next check up 5 months instead of 12-14 weeks as usual.

Edited by Orb>> on 02/01/2024 at 18:58

Any - Cataract Surgery - Engineer Andy

Glad to see things on that score have improved dramatically. Something I will be 'looking forward to' now I'm around the half century, according to my optician.

Having issues with my latest varifocals (having them redone after focus/headache issues) as my sight is worse (cataracts just starting) on that side. Am I right in thinking that has to get a good deal worse before the op is offered on the NHS? My grandparents had theirs done around the same time as yours were.

A near neighbour who's in her late 80s had to give up driving about 5-6 years ago due to the latter deteriorating, which significantly reduced her independence. Let's hope yours doesn't get any worse.

Any - Cataract Surgery - badbusdriver

Good to hear your cataract surgery has been a success Orb.

My Mother is getting first cataract done at the Queen Elizabeth hospital in Glasgow on 18th Jan. Bit inconvenient having to travel there from Aberdeenshire, but getting it done in Aberdeen would have meant a much longer wait. She has already been down for the consultation and found the hospital way nicer than ARI.

She doesn't drive (and never has), but does have an ebike though ;-)

Thanks Andy.

Go and try Asda £45 varifocals you get a trial period where you can change free of charge....(£129 at specsavers.)

Doing the job perfectly.

Cataract surgery is done on need, not age, so if you think it is affecting your daily life and driving don't be afraid to ask at your eye clinic. (TIP say you are available if any cancellations as they will run down that list as many people cancel at short notice.)

I may be lucky, but my consultant is probably one of the best around here and very highly regarded.

He was the one who I made promise me that if HE thought I should stop driving he would tell me.

Thanks Andy.

Go and try Asda £45 varifocals you get a trial period where you can change free of charge....(£129 at specsavers.)

Doing the job perfectly.

Cataract surgery is done on need, not age, so if you think it is affecting your daily life and driving don't be afraid to ask at your eye clinic. (TIP say you are available if any cancellations as they will run down that list as many people cancel at short notice.)

I may be lucky, but my consultant is probably one of the best around here and very highly regarded.

He was the one who I made promise me that if HE thought I should stop driving he would tell me.

Unlike yours, according to my optician, mine's only at a very early stage. I think I'm having difficulties because my right eye astigmatism correction is a lot different to the left and more 'severe', plus the general correction is more.

I'd had issues once or twice before over the years, including before I had both varifocals and astigmatism correction requirements. Maybe the start of cataracts is compounding the issue a bit, plus mistakes can be made by the optician, especially if they hurry the appointment as they sometimes can do when busy.

Unfortunately I' must have gone to almost every 'branded' optician and a good number of indies (who are VERY expensive - no prices displayed on the frames in the shops!) and haven't found (of late) any combination of reasonably priced frames (in a style I like/can get on with) + varifocal / reactions type lenses, especially I seem to be needing new glasses every 2-3 years.

I just can't afford £350+ a pop. Other than reglazing my existing Specsavers glasses (or getting a 'new' version of the same on ebay, as I did the last two times), the closest I came was via one of those online only shops, but they discontinued the frames I liked. Shame.

Hopefully my sight will settle down again like your secondary issue.

Any - Cataract Surgery - balleballe

NHS criteria does vary depending upon locality regarding when a referral can take place but they are often eligible once your visual acuity is 6/10 in the eye.

Asda varifocals are poor, they are a rehashed hoya amplitude design that is 20 years old. They may be good enough for you but the amount of peripheral distortion compared to a more recent lens design is night and day. They are barely equivalent to the 'standard' grade of varifocal at specsavers which I think are £79. £129 refers to specsavers 'elite' range which should be significantly better

Any - Cataract Surgery - Manatee

NHS criteria does vary depending upon locality regarding when a referral can take place but they are often eligible once your visual acuity is 6/10 in the eye.

Asda varifocals are poor, they are a rehashed hoya amplitude design that is 20 years old. They may be good enough for you but the amount of peripheral distortion compared to a more recent lens design is night and day. They are barely equivalent to the 'standard' grade of varifocal at specsavers which I think are £79. £129 refers to specsavers 'elite' range which should be significantly better

Perhaps this accounts for the apparent 'improvement' in varifocals since I started wearing them >20 years ago. They don't seem to need so much getting used to, now.

That said, I can well believe that people adapt to significant levels of distortion and be perfectly satisfied and unaware of it - the brain component of vision is remarkable in its ability to render a comprehensible image.

My last couple of pairs have had Zeiss lenses. They have been the best I have ever had, whether they are technically the best I don't know.

My last couple of pairs have had Zeiss lenses. They have been the best I have ever had, whether they are technically the best I don't know.

Youngrovergirl swears by Rodenstock. !!!! expensive!!!!

Perhaps this accounts for the apparent 'improvement' in varifocals since I started wearing them >20 years ago. They don't seem to need so much getting used to, now.

That said, I can well believe that people adapt to significant levels of distortion and be perfectly satisfied and unaware of it - the brain component of vision is remarkable in its ability to render a comprehensible image.

Both my mum and myself (except this time) seem to adapt to a new set of varifocals fine, my dad on the other hand tried them a few years ago and couldn't get used to them at all (not sure which type, though I think it was Specsavers like me).

Mine are the 3/4 £79 (Standard) range, which I thought from the card in the shop weren't that different to the 2/4 (Elite) £129 field of vision (mid-range view being the important area). I may have to go up the Elite or £159 'Tailor-made' next time.

The annoying this was that the online-only outlet were offering a Ziess varifocal pair of lenses with their equivalent to 'Reactions' with the equivalent to the highest spec Spacsavers varifocals and the Ray-Ban frame style I wanted for about £20 less than what I've now paid for the reglaze at Specsavers. I only pulled out because the frames suddenly became unavailable.

Maybe I should change my career to an Optician so I can afford the expense of the better quality products, given the prices most charge. :-)

Both my mum and myself (except this time) seem to adapt to a new set of varifocals fine, my dad on the other hand tried them a few years ago and couldn't get used to them at all (not sure which type, though I think it was Specsavers like me).

Mine are the 3/4 £79 (Standard) range, which I thought from the card in the shop weren't that different to the 2/4 (Elite) £129 field of vision (mid-range view being the important area). I may have to go up the Elite or £159 'Tailor-made' next time.

The annoying this was that the online-only outlet were offering a Ziess varifocal pair of lenses with their equivalent to 'Reactions' with the equivalent to the highest spec Spacsavers varifocals and the Ray-Ban frame style I wanted for about £20 less than what I've now paid for the reglaze at Specsavers. I only pulled out because the frames suddenly became unavailable.

Maybe I should change my career to an Optician so I can afford the expense of the better quality products, given the prices most charge. :-)

Zeiss varifocals are good and used to be the best but that is no longer really the case.

Specsavers sell a Zeiss lens but are not able to label it as Zeiss as they would then be undercutting the 'independent' practices and would devalue the zeiss name.

The lens is question is a sola HDV. Sola is a subsidiary company of Zeiss.

As long as the varifocal you get is made with free form technology then the brand doesn't matter much. Everyone has their own name for these. Specsavers call them 'tailor made' boots call them 'platinum' tesco opticians used to call them 'made for you'.

Free form lenses will have significantly less distortion than conventional varifocals and have been around long enough to now be affordable.

For the record Asda don't sell a free form lens as it often requires more measurments that someone taken off 'dairy' or 'produce' wont be able to do properly. Asda's lens supplier is a Welsh company called 'lenstec' amd when I asked them why they don't supply Asda with the better varifocal technology they simply said that the folks that buy their specs at asda just want something cheap and cheerful.

I suppose its a bit like Dacia offering a v8 twin turbo engine...they clearly won't sell many of them

Edited by balleballe on 05/01/2024 at 23:07

Any - Cataract Surgery - elekie&a/c doctor
Had my cats done in both eyes just over 2 years ago . Amazing technical surgery. Took me a while to acclimatise from wearing specs all the time for short sight , to now only needed for reading . I can now actually see where I’m going.

A cataract removal has a 99.6% success rate and if the most performed opp in the UK. I've never once in my 16 years as an optometrist come across someone that cannot drive due to cataracts. Your neighbour likely has other pathology such as AMD as cataracts are removed well before legality for driving is under threat

Any - Cataract Surgery - RT

When I "retired from being a Mod" I was awaiting cataract surgery and other items on my agenda.

So nearly 4 months on, What a difference, still need specs for reading but vision 20/20 after seeing my lovely consultant and his team today. Well worth the temporary inconvenience.

Driving is so much better at night.

Macular degeneration is stable. no worsening for 2 years now, so next check up 5 months instead of 12-14 weeks as usual.

That's good news - I'm very happy since my cataracts were done, even though one is subsequently obscured a little by debris - I don't wear glasses for anything apart from driving as it's marginally better with glasses

Any - Cataract Surgery - gordonbennet

Wifey had both hers done last year, she's over the moon and now has better mid distance vision than me, no glasses now reqd for driving or general, just for reading/'puter.

The first one was a little scary for her at the time, my childhood injury caused cataract was done some 30 years ago when it was a full knock you out jobbie, times have indeed moved on.

Edited by gordonbennet on 02/01/2024 at 21:07

Any - Cataract Surgery - Andrew-T

My first was done last April, I am looking forward to the other one this Thursday. Then I can get a more usefully permanent pair of glasses ....

Any - Cataract Surgery - veloceman
Specsavers varifocals start at £39 with 3mths no quibble no fuss guarantee.
Specsavers varifocals start at £39 with 3mths no quibble no fuss guarantee.

But Asda ones are thin and lighter with anti scratch and anti glare as standard.

But for me the joy of it all is the improvement. Before I was legal to drive but now is a real difference.

Edited by Orb>> on 03/01/2024 at 02:19

Any - Cataract Surgery - Andrew-T

My first was done last April, I am looking forward to the other one this Thursday. Then I can get a more usefully permanent pair of glasses ....

Another smoothly-organised experience at the local Spa Medica production line. Getting ready for the eye drops tomorrow.

Any - Cataract Surgery - FP

I'm now rather more than eighteen months down the line from my first eye being "done"; the second being operated on a couple of months later.

Both eyes needed laser surgery after some months, when the sight in first one, then the other, deteriorated - quite common as a follow-up procedure, though not so common for it to be required in both eyes.

In common with most people who have cataract surgery, I find the results are remarkable. I need glasses for reading and close-up work, but my distance vision is pretty damn good. And colour perception, too.

Oddly enough, though I find driving at night, even with the overload of high-intensity headlights, easy, I find sunlight a problem and have a pair of Grade 2 sunglasses for daytime driving, which I use a lot of the time.

Any - Cataract Surgery - skidpan

Go and try Asda £45 varifocals you get a trial period where you can change free of charge....(£129 at specsavers.).

Had my right Cataract done in February 2019. Probably caused by the Glaucoma in that eye. From having poor vision even when wearing specs I went to having the best sight without specs since the mid 60's. Had the option to have the other eye done but since the imbalance was not causing any issues and when you add to that my vision was now great decided to leave well alone.

After surgery I went to Specsavers as usual for my specs, a pair of clear varifocals, a pair of tinted (medium density) varifocals and a pair of reading specs (hated using varifocals for reading for any length of time, just to tiring), came to about £400 using the £69 frame range, tailor made varifocal and thin and light coted lenses. Very pleased with the result this time (but specsavers have been a bit r****** at time).

But by mid summer it was obvious the tint was simply to light and since a single pair of varifocals at specsavers was close to £250 decided to look elsewhere. Spotted the £45 offer at Asda and with the free trial offer what had I to loose. Collected after a couple of weeks and they were perfect, every bit as good as the specsavers ones.

Since then have gone to Asda every time. Not a problem (yet) other than when they had a new computer system in last year they seemed unable to find your specs when you went to collect (they even lost the order once) hopefully that is sorted now.

Had the left eye done November 2022, no cataract but specs (especially tinted ones) looked a bit daft with one thin lens and one pretty thick one (I had a -5.5 prescription). Corrected the sight in my left eye is 6/4, right eye 6/5. Uncorrected its probably as good as many people have that walk the street (no idea what the actual numbers are) and drive etc but put on specs and its noticeably way better plus I need varifocals to use the phone etc.

Will be off the Asda again in March after a Hospital visit with the optometrist to check up on a small issue I have that my consultant says may need a "prism" in my lens(s), get a bit of double vision late on an even when tired watching telly.

Any - Cataract Surgery - edlithgow

Noticed my eyesight started deteriorating noticably faster over the last 6 months or so and apparently I too have joined the cataract club. No detailed prognosis yet but I'll probably go to the teaching hospital to get a full diagnosis done, and if warranted, either get surgery done here in Taiwan or wait until back in the UK, depending on the urgency.

I dont drive, not having a car any longer, but I sometimes use a scooter or motorcycle, which now seems to give me a headache. The strong sunlight (and UV) here, and the air pollution, may be factors, though I guess I was probably due anyway..

Why is it then that I was able to use Asda varifocals with no issues at all at the same time as I was using Specsavers Tailormade varifocals? If the Specsavers ones were significantly better I would have expected an issue with the Asda ones (had experience of this before with a very expensive pair of Hoya 1.7 lenses that were a waste of £400). Should be noted at this time I had a pretty bizarre prescription (+0.5 in right eye, -5.5 in left eye with a add 2.5 reading in both eyes) so not exactly balanced.

I can afford expensive specs but see absolutely no point when the corrected vision I get in Asda ones is just as good. And that is not just my opinion, I visit the the consultant twice a year and in early December wearing my £45 Asda Varifocals it was 6/4 in my left eye and 6/5 in my right eye using a NHS supplied prescription.

Any - Cataract Surgery - RT

Why is it then that I was able to use Asda varifocals with no issues at all at the same time as I was using Specsavers Tailormade varifocals? If the Specsavers ones were significantly better I would have expected an issue with the Asda ones (had experience of this before with a very expensive pair of Hoya 1.7 lenses that were a waste of £400). Should be noted at this time I had a pretty bizarre prescription (+0.5 in right eye, -5.5 in left eye with a add 2.5 reading in both eyes) so not exactly balanced.

I can afford expensive specs but see absolutely no point when the corrected vision I get in Asda ones is just as good. And that is not just my opinion, I visit the the consultant twice a year and in early December wearing my £45 Asda Varifocals it was 6/4 in my left eye and 6/5 in my right eye using a NHS supplied prescription.

I echo Skidpan's experience at Specsavers and Asda - couldn't get on with Specsavers varifocals and no-one at the branch or head office could explain the difference between the different varifocal formats - their pricing is/was complex whereas Asda is one price, based on the frame, they work well, are lightweight and issues are resolved without quibble.

They don't seem to need so much getting used to, now.

That is certainly true. First varifocals in 1999, after a couple of weeks wanted to go back to single visions but the optician I used at the time (local one woman band) refused to help and told me to go away and persevere. After months I was reasonably happy but still went and bought a pair of single vision tinted ones for driving form Specsavers.

After a year it was obvious my reading vision had deteriorated so needed new specs. Back to my old trusted optician (god knows why) who sold me a pair of the latest Hoya lenses in ultrathin very expensive (£400 approx) spec. never got used to them, she refused to help, never went back again. Stopped trading a few years later, shop now sells and repairs mountain bikes.

Started using a 2 man band near where I was working who suggested I had the Hoya spec I eventually got used to in 1999. Sold me a pair for about £200 with a free pair of single vision sun specs, brilliant, no problem getting used to them. Couple of years later got a new pair of Hoya Vari's and he tinted me the previous vari's for driving (reading add was too great by now to manage with single vision for pretty much any use, they were fine.

Changed jobs then and started using Specsavers. Initially Hoya, then Pentax, then their own. Had a couple of hickups with the Pentax ones (not made to my prescription) but generally OK and at least I either got my money back or specs I could use. The good ones were easy to get used to, the wrong ones were obviously useless.

When I first used Asda 2019) I did not expect perfection but in truth that is what I got. Collected the tinted ones, walked to the car and drove off in them immediately, walked round the woods, did the shopping etc. not a single issue. What specs should be. All pairs I have bought from Asda since (2020, 2022, 2023) have been the same. Only hickup was a pair of tinted ones in 2020 (mid lock down). Took order over the phone for exact spec I had bought in clear and collected 2 weeks later. When I got home I spotted they were quite a bit thicker, phoned the branch and the assistant spotted that she had written the wrong factor in (1.5 instead of 1.6) and said she would re-order. Took 2 weeks, took back wrong ones, collected replacements.

You certainly don't get what you pay for.

I echo Skidpan's experience at Specsavers and Asda - couldn't get on with Specsavers varifocals and no-one at the branch or head office could explain the difference between the different varifocal formats - their pricing is/was complex whereas Asda is one price, based on the frame, they work well, are lightweight and issues are resolved without quibble.

I'm sorry but I don't believe that. I have worked in various specsavers stores in the past and I'd say around 80% of the optometrists could easily explain the differences and probably a third of the general shop floor staff too

I'm sorry but I don't believe that. I have worked in various specsavers stores in the past and I'd say around 80% of the optometrists could easily explain the differences and probably a third of the general shop floor staff too

My local branch has a handy picture card to show the difference in the 'vision area' for each level of quality. To me at least, there was a big step-up in the size of the mid-range part of the lens between the cheapest £39 range and the £79 'Premium' ones I have, a much smaller step up from the £79 to £129 'Elite' and a reasonable one from £129 to the £179 'Tailor-made' sort.

I just could afford the £100 extra, given my financial circumstances at present and that I appear to need new ones every 2-3 years of late. If that online-only shop (which gets good reviews) can manage to sell the equivalent of the Specsavers' £179 range for £99 and charge less for the frames generally, then, like with cars, you pay a LOT for the 'privilege' of buying from a fancy shop.

The corrected vision when looking straight ahead through the distance portion of any varifocal comes down to the prescription not the varifocal lens. You could be wearing the first varifocal ever made, but as long as the precription is accurate you will read well from a chart on the wall. The differences come down mainly to peripheral distortion and therefore effects the intermediate portion of a lens more

If you perceive no real difference in this respect between a cheaper varifocal and more expensive varifocal, then lucky you! But know that you are in the minority.

The reason for your issues in the hoya 1.74 lenses would have been down to the anisometropia (disparity in prescription between the eyes) or the fact that the thinner the material, the poorer it actually behaves optically. Thinner lenses are just for cosmetic purposes, they lower the V value of a lens which roughly equates to optical clarity

Any - Cataract Surgery - expat

Thinner lenses are just for cosmetic purposes, they lower the V value of a lens which roughly equates to optical clarity

In my case I am severely myopic and used to have very thick lenses in the 1970s. The thinner lenses are a god send for me because they reduce the weight of the glasses. Before that I had lenses which looked like coke bottle ends and were so heavy they hurt my ears. You are right about the cosmetic factor. My eyes used to look like poached eggs.

I'm sorry but I don't believe that. I have worked in various specsavers stores in the past.

Come on then, you now admit to having a vested interest in promoting Specsavers but in what capacity?

The reason for your issues in the hoya 1.74 lenses would have been down to the anisometropia (disparity in prescription between the eyes).

Simple fact, at the time I had issues with the Hoya 1.7 lenses (in 2000) the prescription in my right eye was -5.50 (with a -0.50 cyl) and -5.50 in my left eye (with a -0.25 cyl), and a reading correction of 1.75 in both eyes, hardly what I would call a disparity in prescription. In truth there is virtually no difference since 0.25 is the smallest increment they measure.

The problem was the fact that I was unable to get on with them and the Optician I used refused to help in any way.

Following my first cataract surgery and 1.7 lenses from Asda with a 0.25 correction in my right eye (-0.50 cyl) and -5.25 in my left eye (-0.25 cyl) I had no issues with the specs at all despite having what you call an anisometropia. Managed like that from early 2019 to late 2022 before getting the left eye done.

If Asda specs were so bad (as you suggest) you would think there would have been an issue in those 4 years.

When I had the right eye done, (25th sept2023) I had the post operative check up done by Specsavers, (Contracted out by Colchester general)

To begin with I got a set of reading glasses after that checkup and the basic single vision lens for the left eye was indeen like a coca cola cottle bottom. but, hey ho for £15...

I then got the Asda varifocals and a lot thinner and lighter. Zero adaptation issues.

Specsavers are the ryanair of opticians, with drip pricing. Anti glare and anti scratch all extra, Thin and lighter extra....All included with the Asda ones. Have just ordered some larger Varifocals with a tint for summer.

From Asda naturally

I'm sorry but I don't believe that. I have worked in various specsavers stores in the past.

Come on then, you now admit to having a vested interest in promoting Specsavers but in what capacity?

The reason for your issues in the hoya 1.74 lenses would have been down to the anisometropia (disparity in prescription between the eyes).

Simple fact, at the time I had issues with the Hoya 1.7 lenses (in 2000) the prescription in my right eye was -5.50 (with a -0.50 cyl) and -5.50 in my left eye (with a -0.25 cyl), and a reading correction of 1.75 in both eyes, hardly what I would call a disparity in prescription. In truth there is virtually no difference since 0.25 is the smallest increment they measure.

The problem was the fact that I was unable to get on with them and the Optician I used refused to help in any way.

Following my first cataract surgery and 1.7 lenses from Asda with a 0.25 correction in my right eye (-0.50 cyl) and -5.25 in my left eye (-0.25 cyl) I had no issues with the specs at all despite having what you call an anisometropia. Managed like that from early 2019 to late 2022 before getting the left eye done.

If Asda specs were so bad (as you suggest) you would think there would have been an issue in those 4 years.

I have no vested interest. As I said I HAVE worked in various specsavers stores accross the North East, Merseyside and Lancashire. I actually work within the hospital ATM. For the record I have also been employed by optical express and I have had my own independent store which I eventually sold to a competitor.

Apologies,I must have misread your post. Both R and L eye were pretty much the same in the Hoya lenses

I never said Asda are bad, just their varifocal designs are older inferior designs. If that design works for you then crack on but there's a reason ALL other opticians sell various 'stages' of varifocals. Some of it is indeed marketing but not all. Between conventional varifocal designs the differences are fairly minimal. Between freeform lenses the differences are minimal, but the differences between conventional varifocals and freeform are pretty significant.

I once worked in an asda for 2 days within a locum capacity and I wasn't overly impressed with their set up, mainly lack of knowledge by those on the shop floor and the fact they expect you to knock out 15-20 minute eye tests. I value what i do and know that a good eyetest takes a little longer so I've not worked in one since. This was approx 8 years ago though so things may have changed.

Also take into consideration that some varifocal designs work better for short sighted folk and other designs for long sighted folk. They are anatomical opposites so you cannot expect the same varifocal design to work for both sets of people.

Lets just say that If you had the same prescription made up in identical frames with the same lens material and same lens to frame measurements you would notice the difference between conventional and freeform varifocal lenses. I have done this as an exercise to prove a point to some patients who insist there are no differences. Elsewise there are too many variables

Alas, if you have found an opticians who you have been happy with (both the refraction and products sold) then stick with them until they give you a reason to look elsewhere. But comments like "I tried a super cheap varifocal from opticians x and it was so much better than this expensive varifocal from opticians y" should be taken with a pinch of salt

Lets just say that If you had the same prescription made up in identical frames with the same lens material and same lens to frame measurements you would notice the difference between conventional and freeform varifocal lenses.

That is not how I found it.

6 weeks after I had the first Cataract treated in February 2019 I had my eyes tested at Specsavers (normally it would have been the hospital but the optometrist had left) and bought a pair of clear varifocals, a pair of tinted varifocals and a pair of single vision readers. Both varifocals were in the same frame and the lenses were Tailor made with all the coatings and 1.6 thinning, total cost was about £350.

As summer approached I found that the tint was not dark enough but when I went back to Specsavers to enquire about the cost of a darker pair the quoted price of about £250 (there was a discount for having just one pair - it would have been even high if not) did not make sense. That is when I heard about Asda and decided to give them a try.

Went along with the Specsavers prescription and chose a frame from their £45 all in range as near as possible the same style and size as the Specsavers frames. The price included the tint, all the coatings but what concerned me was the 1.7 thin lenses I would get because of my -5.25 prescription in the left eye. They explained that was the lens for my prescription, if it was not OK they would sort it or refund me.

Within 2 weeks the specs arrived and from putting them on I did not have a problem. I could change form the Specsavers clear and tinted vari's strait to the Asda Vari's and back again without noticing any difference. I was totally happy.

That is why I use Asda and say to people give them a go. MIL used them before she died and the wifes uncle has been happy with his 2 pairs. Wife has been unable to find a frame she is happy with and for that reason only still has Specsavers specs but since she gets 4 years out of 2 pairs normally it does not work out too bad I suppose.

Since 2016 I have been having 3 pairs every year except one which would make it very expensive at Specsavers. Hopefully now I have had both cataracts sorted my eyes will settle down but in March I have an appointment with the hospital optometrist following my last appointment with my consultant in December.

Might be 3 or more new pairs needed so back to Asda again.

Update..

Quite funny really..

Got a phone call from the Eye Hospital this morning to ask if I could go in monday for the other eye. I said that I was travelling 10 days later long haul and that it was up to them if they thought ok but nor sure myself. Lovely lady said she would ask the Consultant, but I said he knew about my trip and he suggested after my return.

Lady then agreed wiser to wait in regard to aftercare.

So all sorted and lookin forward to no glasses for distance vision.

And to date zero problems with ASDA varifocals.

Any - Cataract Surgery - Steveieb

Under the terms of the Government contract certain opticians can refer cataract patients to private optical clinics . But in my town two well known leading opticians own the clinics and naturally refer the simpler procedures there rather than the hospital.

Maybe a referral from an independent optician for a second opinion may be the answer before embarking on this course of treatment ?

Perhaps the contributor to the discussion who was in the optical trade could advise ?

Under the terms of the Government contract certain opticians can refer cataract patients to private optical clinics . But in my town two well known leading opticians own the clinics and naturally refer the simpler procedures there rather than the hospital.

Maybe a referral from an independent optician for a second opinion may be the answer before embarking on this course of treatment ?

Perhaps the contributor to the discussion who was in the optical trade could advise ?

Dr Youngrovergirl (who refuses to do private work ) (or assist colleagues in private work) can confirm that private sector will always refer ANYTHING complicated to the NHS.

But the problems arise with aftercare from a private hospital and then the NHS has to put it right FOC.

Really interesting thread ORB.

Like you it was Zeiss lenses that proved successful in my transition to varifocals but strangely they discontinued the Gradal Top design which led to long standing customers looking elsewhere. Apparently a change in the design of the lens caused the problem but Zeiss were adamant there was no issue.

I switch to Esselux Physio , full of trepidation but they are now the largest lens producer in the world and have teamed up with the Italian company that makes the most frames.

Result just brilliant but similar price to Zeiss. Ideal for people like me not lucky enough to need a simple correction.

The private referral of NHS patients for cataract s has been recently covered by MD in Private Eye .

Asda varifocals are poor, they are a rehashed hoya amplitude design that is 20 years old. They may be good enough for you but the amount of peripheral distortion compared to a more recent lens design is night and day

Utter nonsense. In the past I have had very expensive Hoya lenses that proved useless and the best the independent optician could offer was to replace the lenses with single vision ones and charge me no more, never went back.

Used Specsavers from about 2005 to 2019 with reasonable success but they were always wanting me to have the most expensive lenses with all the extras and a visit for 2 pairs would be costing over £400. But at least they gave me my money back when they got it wrong.

After first Cataract was done in 2019 on a recommendation I tried Asda for a pair of sunspecs. They were excellent, took no getting used to and my vision was just as good in a pair of £45 varifocal tints as it was in a pair of £250 Specsavers tints.

Still go to Specsavers for my test (its in walking distance) but go to Asda for specs. Had a test last week and with both cataracts done (the 2nd was in Nov 2022) its 6/4 in both eyes with a small correction, same as it was January 2023 after the 2nd cataract. To prove the Asda specs are made to the prescription I asked him to check my vision wearing those, its still 6/4. In the afternoon it was off to Asda to order a pair of Varifocal Photochromic (they now use supposedly better Transition Gen 8) and a pair of variofocal clear (spares), total cost was £149.

Asda get an excellent score in Which for Opticians but the top recommendation is Costco !

Any - Cataract Surgery - John F

So all sorted and lookin forward to no glasses for distance vision.

Because presbyopia (the aging process which eventually fixes the lens in one single focal position) is inevitable, I think those who spend much of their waking lives focusing on things about two feet from the end of their nose (i.e. most people under the age of 40) should wear +1 dioptre reading glasses when engaging with their screens whether they need them or not if they wish to preserve clear distance vision.

Fortunate in having perfect eyesight I noticed my distance vision getting slightly blurry (less than one dioptre to correct) about 40yrs ago. I began wearing reading/computer screen glasses regularly and thankfully it eventually returned to pin sharp clarity before permanent lens stiffness set in. Now in my 70s my distance vision is fine and I just need a few pairs of 'Poundland' +3 d reading glasses distributed around the place as sadly a preventive measure doesn't exist for memory loss.

Any - Cataract Surgery - Xileno

Following an emailed concern, as is well documented in the forum 'Sticky' threads, any advice and opinions given here are freely-given by individual posters in their free time, and should be interpreted as non-expert advice and opinions.

If you have any concerns about your eyesight or are seeking general information about eye health, then obtain the advice of a qualified optician.

Mod