Honda CR-V - Unexpected 2020 CR-V Hybrid electronics melt-down - Theophilus

Having had exceptional reliability from my wife's sequence of Honda Jazz vehicles over the past 10 years or so, I was not expecting a melt-down on my 3 year old CR-V Hybrid.

Last week the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree with multiple error warnings - and even more alarming I lost all power applying the brakes unless I pushed very hard on the brake pedal.

The car has led an uneventful life so far .... serviced by my local Honda agency exactly at annual intervals and only averaged 6,000 miles per year, it has not been in an accident or submerged in floods!

I drove it (carefully!) to the Honda agency that has serviced it from new (although I originally purchased the car from another Honda dealership 150 miles away) - and expected them to say it was some minor electrical gremlin that could be easily sorted by disconnecting the 12V battery, or some such explanation. To my horror I received a phone call later in the day to say that the fault was in the Vehicle Stability Assist module ... and that the cost of replacing the faulty part would be of the order of £3,000 !! They have said that they are contacting Honda UK about goodwill, but the 3 year warranty had expired 3 months earlier and in view of my previous experience of Honda reliability I hadn't opted to extend the warranty ... so to wait for a response from Honda.

Clearly the VSA module isn't a "wear and tear" component and I imagine is expected to last for the life of the car - so not an expense I would have been expecting. If Honda UK fail to agree to meet the cost what steps should I take next?

Edited by Theophilus on 07/01/2024 at 12:37

Honda CR-V - Unexpected 2020 CR-V Hybrid electronics melt-down - gordonbennet

If the cost comes down to you make sure you have the component and they don't inadvertantly 'chuck it in the skip' or whatever might happen to it, my suggestion would be contact them in the morning to make sure it doesn't vanish.

In the meantime start researching the various companies who repair such items as ECUs ABS modulators etc, hopefully you'll find someone who has experience of this unit and can repair it for you.

Its been many years now but i had two ECU problems on Mercs, in both cases they were repaired by the people on the Isle of Wight, www.avilec.co.uk/, indeed one of their repaired units is still operating well in our now 27 year old Merc, bear in mind this was probably 15 years ago so i'm well out of touch with who currently is top notch so only take my experience as a starting point.

They don't work cheap and can't say i blame them, when the second unit failed i tried to find somewhere cheaper, that was a fast learning curve because my ECU was sent far and wide to two other places, one said nothing wrong (whilst charging for testing) the other tried to tell me the unit was sc*** and he'd bin it for me to save postage...now i'm daft but not that daft, the parts inside those particular ECUs are rare indeed...so the second one went to the IoW and as i should have known came back repaired well...lesson learned a self congratulatory website equals the square root of sod all.

Costs? i seem to recall £350 ish was the cost for each fix, a new ECU would have been £1200/1500 at the time.

Thanks GB, that could be a very useful link to Avilec (their website looks hopeful) - I hope that Honda UK will "do the decent thing", but if I'm looking at a big bill I'll certainly keep Avilec in mind.

As said its been years since i used them and it could be that someone else is the go to place now, hopefully elekiedoc will see this thread, maybe he or someone else knows a company he's used more recently they could recommend.

More hopefully Honda will step up...i for one will be watching because we're fairly sure we're moving the Forester on in the spring unless the local LPG supply improves (doubtful) and a Honda Civic DTEC estate is under consideration the likely other choice to a hybrid Corolla estate, DTEC will be well out of makers warranty of course but considerably cheaper to buy than the Toyota.

Honda CR-V - Unexpected 2020 CR-V Hybrid electronics melt-down - elekie&a/c doctor
Abs/vsa problems were common on Honda models 12-15 years ago . I thought they would have sorted it out by now . I wouldn’t expect a critical component to fail so early on in a car’s life . Hopefully Honda will see some sense here .

Thanks for the responses - just a quick update.

At the suggestion of my local Honda outfit I contacted the Customer Services department of Honda UK, and then subsequently the "Escalation team" as I still wasn't able to get a satisfactory outcome. I've pestered my local guys a couple more times and today received the better news than Honda UK have agreed to meet 60% of the cost of the VSA module.

I asked whether the part was likely to be delayed by events in the Gulf, but apparently not - should get car back in a few days (here's hoping!).

Honda CR-V - Unexpected 2020 CR-V Hybrid electronics melt-down - elekie&a/c doctor
60% contribution on a 3 year old car is not really good enough, in fact it’s pathetic. I thought Honda had confidence in their products. “ the power of dreams “? Don’t think so .

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 16/01/2024 at 16:16

Yes i too am disappoined at the offer, another ratchet is clicked in my decision for the next purchase.

If you accept this offer, would the dealer let you have the old part? i ask because it might be interesting to spend £50 or whatever the charge would be to get the unit tested and diagnosed...i'm idly wondering if its repairable for a figure could it be worth selling on...an ECU repair outfit might even be interested in buying the faulty unit in for research etc, might mitigate the 40% (plus labour charges?) they'll be after from you.

Honda CR-V - Unexpected 2020 CR-V Hybrid electronics melt-down - corax
60% contribution on a 3 year old car is not really good enough, in fact it’s pathetic. I thought Honda had confidence in their products. “ the power of dreams “? Don’t think so .

Honda don't seem to be serious about the UK, isn't their main market America? After what I've read about owner woes recently, I don't think I'd want to give them my money.

I wonder if the Americans would get it replaced FOC.

Honda CR-V - Unexpected 2020 CR-V Hybrid electronics melt-down - Steveieb

Is there any truth in the rumour that they may abandon the Australian market ?

Honda CR-V - Unexpected 2020 CR-V Hybrid electronics melt-down - Dave N

I think the australian market has abandoned them, with their direct pricing and dealership strategies.
Honda CR-V - Unexpected 2020 CR-V Hybrid electronics melt-down - expat

I think the australian market has abandoned them, with their direct pricing and dealership strategies.

They have dropped the Jazz in Australia and it was their biggest seller. They have also greatly increased prices on the Civic. The result is a big drop in sales. Presumably they expected that and are going for bigger profits on each sale.

Honda CR-V - Unexpected 2020 CR-V Hybrid electronics melt-down - SLO76
I find that a nasty review on Trustpilot tends to get attention from most firms. I’ve had cause to use this resource a few times over the years and have always been quickly contacted by customer services and a satisfactory outcome has been achieved in order to get that nasty review removed.

I have personally lost faith in Honda of late. From shutting UK car production to the marked drop in quality despite huge price rises and the loss of many dealers. I don’t think they’re taking the UK market very seriously, their range is shrinking and hugely overpriced.

I did consider a late model Civic 1.6 diesel, but the quality is not as good as the older pre-2017 models.
Honda CR-V - Unexpected 2020 CR-V Hybrid electronics melt-down - Brit_in_Germany

Pay the 40% then sue the supplying dealer for a refund in the small claims court.

Honda CR-V - Unexpected 2020 CR-V Hybrid electronics melt-down - DavidGlos
Still leaves you c.£1,200 out of pocket on a low mileage, dealer serviced vehicle which is marginally outside of their rather stingy ‘bog standard’ warranty. Suggest challenging back and referencing previous loyalty to the brand and that if they won’t budge, future custom will be directed to the likes of Kia, Hyundai, Toyota etc, who have the confidence to stand by their products a lot longer.

Does feel like Honda are starting to lose the plot, though I’ve no plans to change my 20+ year old lawnmower, which still runs sweetly!
Suggest challenging back and referencing previous loyalty to the brand and that if they won’t budge, future custom will be directed to the likes of Kia, Hyundai, Toyota etc, who have the confidence to stand by their products a lot longer.

I've already been thinking along these lines - wife, daughter & son-in-law all very happy with their Jazzs / Civic, but I was a fairly recent Honda convert having previously had a couple of fault-free Toyota Versos. I'll be tempted to revert to Toyota in future (only reservation is that I've no problem with local Honda dealer, only 5 minutes away - while Toyota (or other brand) means a trip into nearest city for servicing)

Honda CR-V - Unexpected 2020 CR-V Hybrid electronics melt-down - movilogo

I think Honda has given up on UK. Their market share is very small. USA is a big market for them.

Latest CRV costs around £50k mark - wow!

Latest installment in saga ... a message from my local Honda agent

"the ABS module has arrived and has been fitted and has cured half the issue regarding the ESP and the ABS failure which is good news now the bad news unfortunately, we still have the brake servo issue which is indicating the brake servo has failed"

I have asked (but not yet had a reply) how the failure of the VSA module related to the brake servo failure ... surely there must be a direct link, which would have failed first?

Should the brake servo issue have been identified at the outset, or is this out of the usual course of events?

Edited by Theophilus on 01/02/2024 at 15:38

Looks like they haven’t got a clue what’s going on . Seems they are totally incompetent. The fact you’ve been kept waiting for a part that didn’t fix the issue, I think I would be asking for any repairs to be carried out at no cost to yourself. How has it h fixed half the issue ??

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 01/02/2024 at 16:05

Honda CR-V - Unexpected 2020 CR-V Hybrid electronics melt-down - Manatee

I'm no expert but it sounds as if they are 'throwing parts darts' at the owner's expense.

I have a cheap code reader but I am not under the delusion that reading a fault code constitutes diagnosis. My erstwhile mechanic had the proper kit and used to do diagnosis occasionally for a couple of main dealers who had the equipment but couldn't solve the problem. Very worrying.

How to tell whether they know what they are doing before forking out the diagnosis fee, I don't know.

Looks like they haven’t got a clue what’s going on . Seems they are totally incompetent. The fact you’ve been kept waiting for a part that didn’t fix the issue, I think I would be asking for any repairs to be carried out at no cost to yourself.

Still in limbo - apparently brake servo not forecast to be available until end of March!

To be fair to my local Honda dealership they have tried to get a result from Honda UK (and as of January 2024 were designated number 1 Honda aftersales dealership in the UK with strong customer support) ... but Honda UK seem to be intransigent, now telling me that they are only willing to offer 40% goodwill on the VSA module and nothing for the brake servo (bringing total cost of the two parts to around £5,000).

I have said that this is completely unacceptable and that I am looking to escalate further by highlighting that a complete failure of the braking system on a 3 year old car is a major safety issue and that it's not on to just repeat the mantra that I should have taken out an extended warranty.

Honda CR-V - Unexpected 2020 CR-V Hybrid electronics melt-down - Will deBeast

I know people on here are keen on Hondas - especially the 1.8 petrol civic. Maybe I just got a bad one, but it was only a so-so experience.

I've gone back to Toyota for our latest car (a Corolla hybrid) and not regretting it.

And as I was reminded at my Toyota dealer on Friday Will, the Corolla is built near Derby and the engine in North Wales.

Just shows with the right organisation, world class cars can be built in Britain. And they have stuck with the UK not like Honda !

Honda CR-V - Unexpected 2020 CR-V Hybrid electronics melt-down - Warning

And they have stuck with the UK not like Honda !

If citizens in Europe are not buying Honda's you can't blame the company.

I have a Jap car and at least on two occasions, I have had inpolite remarks and badge snobery from BMW owners. The irony, is that my Jap car was built in Britian, whilst their BMW was n't.

There is an element of snobery.

It is unfortunate OP is having issue with the CR-V, as this same car is a leading model in the US and should have been well tested and problems ironed out.

Edited by Warning on 09/02/2024 at 10:45

Honda CR-V - Unexpected 2020 CR-V Hybrid electronics melt-down - barney100

Ouch! Main dealers are very expensive..not surprising as their costs are so high. If Honda don't help look around for a good indie. My indie has saved me a fortune.

Honda CR-V - Unexpected 2020 CR-V Hybrid electronics melt-down - sajid

Used to have 2 honda jazzes both mark 1s and a civic 2.2 deisel which unfortunately got written off, honda used to be popular a few years ago dont see any around now happy owner of a toyota yaris deisel 2015..

Toyota dealers are a class apart their customer service is a lot better than honda.

I had needed a bolt to fit passenger side trim, the receptionist got the bolt then he said wait a min proceeded to fit the bolt for me and guess what no charge for fitting or a bolt.

Now that service

Toyota dealers are a class apart their customer service is a lot better than honda.

Daughter would endorse that Sajid, she's only bought one new Honda (has owned and still owns several) and her main dealer experience has been, er, underwhelming would be putting it generously with sadly some incompetence included, her chap has a similar fast Honda and the story is the same.

Honda CR-V - Unexpected 2020 CR-V Hybrid electronics melt-down - madf

Daughter would endorse that Sajid, she's only bought one new Honda (has owned and still owns several) and her main dealer experience has been, er, underwhelming would be putting it generously with sadly some incompetence included, her chap has a similar fast Honda and the story is the same.

As the owner of a Honda Jazz, I concur.

Found after 5 years of Honda service, rear brake caliper pins were solid due to lack of maintenance. I now DIY...and guess what ? -all my caliper pins are well greased:-)

I ordered a set of wiper blades from the Toyota main dealer and on collection they offered to fit them for me.

One was jammed solid so the car was immediately taken to the workshop and returned with the new blades fitted. All free of charge and the level of competence from the parts guy was impressive.

If this is from a Toyota dealer imagine what the service is like from Lexus !

Time for an update ... informed by Honda service agent today that replacement brake servo module now not listed as being available before 10 May!

3 year old car will have been off the road awaiting repair for 5 months (assuming module available in May) - and no further "goodwill" offered on cost of parts and fitting. Unfortunately I can't even sell it for a sensible price whilst it's awaiting repair :-(

Honda CR-V - Unexpected 2020 CR-V Hybrid electronics melt-down - Adampr

Time for an update ... informed by Honda service agent today that replacement brake servo module now not listed as being available before 10 May!

3 year old car will have been off the road awaiting repair for 5 months (assuming module available in May) - and no further "goodwill" offered on cost of parts and fitting. Unfortunately I can't even sell it for a sensible price whilst it's awaiting repair :-(

Have they given you another car whilst they sit on yours?

Honda CR-V - Unexpected 2020 CR-V Hybrid electronics melt-down - MGspannerman
“ If this is from a Toyota dealer imagine what the service is like from Lexus !”

I have had a few Toyotas, and was hoping to get a Corolla Cross hybrid. Apparently they were to be launched in the UK but never quite made it. I bought a Lexus NX300h instead. The Toyota and Lexus dealers nearby share the same site. Service is excellent, which is why I go back, and as they use the same workshop no difference. The coffee comes in an upmarket mug on a little tray with a biscuit, and the chairs are very comfortable leather. Oh, I nearly forgot, it’s a bit pricier too. It would need to be very convinced before I buy anything other than a Lexota. Yes, there are cheaper options but cost is one thing and value for money and peace of mind another.
Honda CR-V - Unexpected 2020 CR-V Hybrid electronics melt-down - GripperCol

My Honda CRV (70 Reg) dashboard has just lit up with EP/ES/ACC/Collision Warning etc recently and I got AA Roadside assist to check it out. He stated that it was likely a brake servo issue and it was not an uncommon fault. I went into the Honda main dealer today and they have just quoted me £2300 for a replacement brake servo!

I have investigated an alternate repair via my trusted local garage, who are currently attempting a brake servo replacement on a Honda Jazz (again 70 Reg). Their enquiries (via the same dealership) show that the unit price for a replacement for the Jazz (same part I understand) is circa £1300. There is a long lead time for a replacement part and the main dealer already has 8 x vehicles awaiting repair for the same issue.

I have arranged a meeting with the dealership general and service manager on Monday. Its 6 months out of warranty, irrespective, I don't expect to pay £2300 after 3.5 years driving and have little confidence in its replacement.

No solutions on the various Honda forums? seems common enough the switched on indies and home mechanics would have worked out a plan of action by now entirely by-passing the dealer workshop network.

No solutions on the various Honda forums? seems common enough the switched on indies and home mechanics would have worked out a plan of action by now entirely by-passing the dealer workshop network.

Does the problem only affect cars just outside warranty? If so it was a wise decision not to match Toyotas 10 year cover .

Honda CR-V - Unexpected 2020 CR-V Hybrid electronics melt-down - madf

It appears an age related issue caused by slow oil seepage.. See Honda Jazz brake issues..