Car headlight dazzling drivers - Steveieb

At last one motoring organisation has highlighted the problem with these modern headlights

tinyurl.com/3cmxnzv2

The RAC claim that the new style headlights have caused fatal accidents when drivers have been dazzled.

The situation is made worst when a car approaches up an incline and I seem to think headlights in EVs and hybrids have the brightest lights .

Link tidied at OP's request

Edited by Xileno on 10/01/2024 at 15:00

Car headlight dazzling drivers - RT

The situation isn't helped by some drivers declining to have regular sight tests every 2 years at which the formation of cataracts would have been detected.

My cataracts had been noted at several sight tests but suddenly "ripened" and became an issue with night driving because of the glare from car headlights - once done I don't have a problem with headlights.

Car headlight dazzling drivers - Andrew-T

No longer being a frequent or regular driver, I am not annoyed by bright lights very often, but it has been obvious to me for some years that things were getting steadily worse in makers' advancing Intensity Wars - helped by stylists who have nothing to do beyond finding new ways to add more LEDs to trendy DRLs.

Plus the fact that these lights are intended to make vehicles more conspicuous in broad daylight, without reduced brightness in duller conditions or darkness. There are several previous threads on here discussing the matter. Maybe we need a 4-part thriller on ITV to get more coverage ?

Car headlight dazzling drivers - skidpan

Plus the fact that these lights are intended to make vehicles more conspicuous in broad daylight, without reduced brightness in duller conditions or darkness.

When you put your headlights on these DRL's (daylight running lights) automatically dim to close to sidelight intensity. The issue is those 1d10ts who think they don't need to use their headlights any longer.

Car headlight dazzling drivers - Engineer Andy

At last one motoring organisation has highlighted the problem with these modern headlights

tinyurl.com/3cmxnzv2

The RAC claim that the new style headlights have caused fatal accidents when drivers have been dazzled.

The situation is made worst when a car approaches up an incline and I seem to think headlights in EVs and hybrids have the brightest lights .

Link tidied at OP's request

Indeed - when I'm out walking, I've been dazzled by cars coming over the local railway (humped) bridge. Whether that's solely because they are the newer tech HID / LEDs, and/or because they are poorly adjusted for beam height (which is a common fault and MOT failure these days) vs car loading, I don't know.

Car headlight dazzling drivers - Adampr

The RAC has not said that modern headlights are dangerous, they have said that headlight glare is getting worse.

There is no link at all between the motive power for a car and what kind of lights it has.

Other than that, quite interesting. As someone who spends a lot of time going up and down the motorway, the two biggest culprits are people who have put 'blue' bulbs in to try to look like they have LED lights and those who have one side out and the other side has got brighter.

The RAC has not said that modern headlights are dangerous, they have said that headlight glare is getting worse.

I think the whole business started from a H&S edict that accidents to pedestrians might be reduced by better 'See and Be Seen' headlights - which obviously means Brighter, but it makes no allowance for anyone caught in the crossfire, as it were. Cataract Flare comes into it, and now that both mine have been dealt with, I shall be interested to see the results.

Car headlight dazzling drivers - galileo

I think the whole business started from a H&S edict that accidents to pedestrians might be reduced by better 'See and Be Seen' headlights - which obviously means Brighter, but it makes no allowance for anyone caught in the crossfire, as it were. Cataract Flare comes into it, and now that both mine have been dealt with, I shall be interested to see the results.

I had both cataracts done a few years ago, I avoid night driving as I dislike excessively bright headlights and dislike even more the i****s who thought they were a good or necessary idea.

Like excessively large alloy wheels these seem to be (or are sold as) status symbols and many buyers accept this.

Only when they find the cost of replacing LED lamps, large diameter tyres or pothole-broken alloys may they think of the downsides.

Car headlight dazzling drivers - Ethan Edwards

EVs have the brightest headlights?

I wish. Our 500e has halogen 'art of darkness' feeble yellow excuses for headlights.

Now the Mokka-e does have super bright LED headlights. BUT they are Matrix headlights. The sensor detects your lights and switches off or dims the appropriate LED so that you will NEVER be dazzled. A problem sure but Matrix technology has solved it. They will be rolled out across other cars/ manufacturers and many have had them for some while. Only downside that I can see is they're freekin expensive. 750 quid for a s/h single light unit. That's cheap compared to some.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 10/01/2024 at 18:58

Car headlight dazzling drivers - mcb100
Teslas do seem to exist on the edge of what’s bright and what’s dazzling, based on observations.
They can be adjusted, but being Tesla it’s not a thumb wheel to raise or lower them it’s on a menu.
Car headlight dazzling drivers - gordonbennet

Anyone driving around London in the 70s and before would be on sidelight only, everone's night vision not destroyed by nuclear like assault on their vision by super bright flashing lights everywhere one looked let alone the now frankly ridiculous 'look at me i'm special' lights on vehicles...only the few entertainment areas of the capital had high light levels.

Because we still had night vision everything could be seen, pedestrians didn't need to be covered in hivis wear same with cyclists, they didn't disappear into the stark midnight heavy darkness that happens now.

Experts as usual got involved, in every govt or institution or large company all management heavy, no one ever asks the people living the life or have done the job man and boy for 40 years what they think, its one of the main reasons everythings gone to pot, no one asks the experienced for their input, those in the ivory towers know it all and make the decisions despite not having the foggiest idea, its a particularly UK disease.

Now its the light wars, every new vehicle has to have the next level of lighting or car buyer feel cheated, not content with blinding everyone in their path vehicles now must have eyeball searing levels of rear and brake lights (don't get me started on rear fogs which i haven't used for probably 2 millions miles and no one's hit me up the back to date), super bright LED brake lights don't give the driver behind the same sense of rate of deceleration and massively reduce the ability to see past the vehicle in front, hence when someone just grazes the brake pedal without any deceleration to speak a concertina rapidly ensues behind.

Its lunacy, a colleague tells me his all singing/dancing headlights are something like £3500 a side, what deluded designer ever thought something like a headlight needed to reach this level of ridiculous, i/we have all managed perfectly well over millions of miles with just normal lights, if feeling really extravagent we might have spent a whole £24 on a pair of Osram nightlaser legal bulbs or in days prior by upgrading to sealed beams or even a halogen bulb.

rant over

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/01/2024 at 08:56

Car headlight dazzling drivers - movilogo

In well lit city roads, I think just side lights and/or DRL is good enough.

Dipped beam headlight in well lit road does not make the care more visible IMHO.

I rather want that public are aware that in dark winter nights wearing black clothes make them invisible to drivers until at the last moment. They should focus on wearing lighter colored jackets instead.

Car headlight dazzling drivers - Theophilus

In well lit city roads, I think just side lights and/or DRL is good enough.

Thinking DRL is good enough is the reason why so many cars drive at night with no visible tail lights - as they don't come on automatically with the DRLs

Car headlight dazzling drivers - gordonbennet

Thinking DRL is good enough is the reason why so many cars drive at night with no visible tail lights - as they don't come on automatically with the DRLs

Is that still the case with Volvos? most will remember Volvo 240 series cars being the first to feature DRL's, though sensibly at the time they were just normal 21w bulbs inside the front sidelight lenses though i seem to recall the tail lights coming on too.

On Scania trucks (Swedish) DRLs come on as do all the side lights soon as turn the ignition on, you can select sidelights for the front instead of default DRLs but in both cases the lights all round will also be on, i would expect Volvo trucks to be the same.

Car headlight dazzling drivers - movilogo

The days before DRL and continuously illuminated dashboard were good.

If you can't see dashboard needed to turn on backlight which would also turn side lights/rear lights.

Car headlight dazzling drivers - nicholas barksby
If they stop all the drivers driving with there front fog lamps on this would help.Why do people do it, it ranges from boy racers to old women just don’t get it.muppets
Car headlight dazzling drivers - FP

"If they stop all the drivers driving with there front fog lamps on this would help."

"They" is presumably the police and it's way down their list of priorities. The fact that the use of front fogs is legal only if visibility is less than 100m counts as a trivial offence, I imagine. Yes, it's irritating and unnecessary and probably most of the drivers who use them all the time would treat you as an i**** if you told them what the legal position actually is.

Almost as irritating are the drivers who won't do a handbrake start on a hill and either ride their clutch, causing premature wear, or sit with their right foot on the brake pedal, thereby blinding the driver behind them.

In both scenarios the root of it is a lack of respect and consideration for others and failing to indicate on roundabouts or indeed anywhere is much the same and has become the norm.

P.S. Pistonheads has an amusing old thread in which the following is suggested as reasons for the improper use of foglights:

1. "... it looks good"

2. "... it it helps me see where I'm going and sod everyone else"

3. "Oh, is that what that little coloured light sign is on the dash?"

Car headlight dazzling drivers - b4u2

i find lots of tims when im on the motorway in the night all these headlights dazzle me.

Profound and helpful comment there ....

Car headlight dazzling drivers - Brit_in_Germany

Try driving on the left hand side of the motorway then.

The days before DRL and continuously illuminated dashboard were good.

If you can't see dashboard needed to turn on backlight which would also turn side lights/rear lights.

Indeed - I use that to judge when to turn my lights on as much as the prevailing weather conditions (rain, etc). What I do have to remember is to change the setting on my (manual) headlamp adjuster dial when I have passengers in the car, and back again afterwards.

Car headlight dazzling drivers - Big John

I would say it's not necessarily headlights in EV's and hybrids but many recent car fitted with LED headlights. Saying that the worst headlights re retina burn are older cars/vans with illegal retrofit LED bulbs.

I asked my optician about night driving and he pointed out big issue for people of my age is varifocals as left/right of centre is blurred out as compromise vision. He suggested the Superdrive varifocal lens (Specsaver) which I tried last time I replaced my glasses and it's transformed my night vision. Distance vision full left to right is perfectly in focus maintain full vision on road reference points such as kerb edges/white lines however mucky. They also have a slight blue filter which helps reduce LED glare.

Edited by Big John on 13/02/2024 at 23:53

<< I asked my optician about night driving and he pointed out big issue for people of my age is varifocals as left/right of centre is blurred out as compromise vision. >>

Interesting point about varifocals, BJ. SWMBO and I recently had our cataracts removed, which has certainly cured a lot of flare, and I don't find headlights an impossible problem now. But I am still convinced that the lamps on modern cars are unnecessarily bright, even in daylight, especially when it is common knowledge that they increase danger for many older drivers.

Car headlight dazzling drivers - mcb100
‘ He suggested the Superdrive varifocal lens (Specsaver) which I tried last time I replaced my glasses and it's transformed my night vision. ’

I’ve got the Zeiss DriveSafe lenses in my new(ish) varifocals. Same features, different optician.
They took a bit of getting used to from previous varifocals, but I’d agree that they do reduce oncoming glare. I do get the occasional blue, stray, reflection in the side window at night (presumably from the blue coating, but otherwise they’re very good.
Car headlight dazzling drivers - shauncwalsh

I've tried the Zeiss drivesafe lenses and found them to be inferior to the Zeiss Precision Superb high reflective index glass lenses I normally wear.

Car headlight dazzling drivers - Big John

I think with varifocals etc success can vary between different people. Mrs BJ is very short sighted and tried varifocals a while ago but never got on with them - she tried for a few weeks but had then swapped for single vision glasses (distance and readers) under the varifocal guarantee.

I'm slightly long sighted and my reading eyesight probably needs double length arms these days and I eventually got on with varifocals but it took a week or so. As also mentioned in the thread the Superdrive type lens feel slightly different again which also took a short time to re adjust to but for me it's all I'll get going forward.

Car headlight dazzling drivers - barney100

In my early motoring days headlights weren't very good at all and folks used to fit spotlights.... probably banned these days. I don't like night driving at all now, even some brake lights are blinding these days.

Car headlight dazzling drivers - Steveieb

I found Zeiss Umbramatic lenses a revelation when I tried them ten years ago. Everything else failed .

But when they changed the lens design I had to return them to the opticians and changed them for Essilor Physio varifocals.

Apparently they are the last resort lens for people who can’t get on with other designs . Must say they are brilliant and they are French !!!!

I found out that many customers were having difficulty with the new design of Zeiss which have always been considered the top choice because of their lens design.

Car headlight dazzling drivers - Halmerend
My Audi has the LED matrix lights which auto dip on full beam. They’re incredibly bright on full beam but I do worry that they’re impacting on oncoming traffic but I haven’t been flashed once in two years. There’s a similar auto full beam on my son’s Honda Civic but it’s not sophisticated enough so he’s turned it off.
My Audi has the LED matrix lights which auto dip on full beam. They’re incredibly bright on full beam but I do worry that they’re impacting on oncoming traffic but I haven’t been flashed once in two years. There’s a similar auto full beam on my son’s Honda Civic but it’s not sophisticated enough so he’s turned it off.

Forgive me for asking, but how does it know to 'auto-dip'? Whilst it may have sensors to detect the lights from an oncoming vehicle, it may not be able to detect or distinguish between (say) a pedestrian and a post box, or large farm animal being led from one field to another in the early hours, etc, and you need to have your lights on dipped for both.

Self-driving cars are still having difficulties in the testing phase on such scores (avoiding them, not just auto dipped lights), so there's a very good chance yours would do too.

A lot of modern cars also seem to have either poorly-adjusted dipped headlamps to account for the loading, whether auto systems or not, including relatively new cars. As I've said before, many appear to end up as regular MOT failures.

Car headlight dazzling drivers - alan1302

Forgive me for asking, but how does it know to 'auto-dip'? Whilst it may have sensors to detect the lights from an oncoming vehicle, it may not be able to detect or distinguish between (say) a pedestrian and a post box, or large farm animal being led from one field to another in the early hours, etc, and you need to have your lights on dipped for both.

I don't know if they are all the same but mine don't auto dip for people/animals.

Car headlight dazzling drivers - Mike H

My take is that auto dipping lights are a big problem - they can't anticipate and need to see the physical lights of oncoming vehicles before they dip. I always turn the auto off, so that when I see the glow of oncoming lights round a bend, or below the crest of a hill, I've already dipped before the car is visible. That way I don't blind the oncoming driver and destroy his night vision.

Car headlight dazzling drivers - Manatee

Is it possible they are too bright? I'd say yes.

Cataracts aside, far more light is needed to see properly as we get older. The effect of this is that we lose the ability to see so much in the shadows.

When looking at a very bright light , with effectively reduced dynamic range, everything in the shadows is just black.

Some of the early HIDs 'nodded' terribly. Self levelling seems to have improved and maybe LEDs are less difficult to deal with than HIDs.

The dynamic range of eyesight suffers when facing a very bright light, with literally nothing visible in the shadows. The old sealed beams were good for maximum 60mph at night but at least it was usually possible to see something other than the oncoming headlamps.

I don't suppose they are going to get dimmer again, so car makers need to improve the aim/levelling. There must also be scope for 'intelligent dip' already o some cars, whereby the part of the beam aimed around an oncoming headlamp is dimmed.