Best mid sized suv - AndrewAUK99

We are very lucky that my wife has been told she can have a new company car in a few months. The main provisos are that it should be up to around £28k, up to 2 years old, and a petrol hybrid or plugin petrol hybrid. For us it has to have a good boot for two dogs and a good amount of leg room for the driver.

She currently has a 2021 petrol seat Arona fr which has been totally reliable and a great car to own but for various reasons the boot and inside space are just not big enough

So we came up with a list so far

Nissan qashqai

Kia Sportage

Hyundai Tucson

Lexus UX

Any comments on these or other suggestions

Thanks

Best mid sized suv - Adampr

Toyota Rav 4 / Suzuki A-cross is the obvious one.

In your situation, particularly if you like the Aroma, I would have a good look at the Curpa Formentor PHEV. A bit more stylish than most, and some of them go like stink.

Best mid sized suv - Big John

On any potential choice check what she'd be paying re company car benefit in kind. The tax can be significant.

www.fleetnews.co.uk/fleet-faq/how-will-bik-company...0

www.fleetnews.co.uk/fleet-faq/what-are-the-current.../

Edited by Big John on 18/01/2024 at 23:59

Best mid sized suv - SLO76
Sadly the British built Qashqai has a reputation for fragility so I’d leave it out, otherwise it’s just a case of test drive them and see which you prefer. The Kia and Hyundai tend to rust underneath more rapidly than most but I’m assuming it wont be kept past 6/7yrs old where this will become an issue anyway.
Best mid sized suv - skidpan
The Kia and Hyundai tend to rust underneath more rapidly than most but I’m assuming it wont be kept past 6/7yrs old where this will become an issue anyway.

So you keep telling us but there are plenty of ancient Kia's around these parts with excellent bodywork. There is a 12 year old Rio just down from us that looks factory fresh.

They also come with a 12 year warranty providing its checked every year (it may be 2 years now) by a Kia dealer so on recent cars there is nothing at all to be concerned about.

At 5 years old our Ceed was fine underneath and the paint was pretty much perfect. Only seen it once since we moved it on and at 12 years old it looked pretty much as it did 7 years earlier.

They are just as good as any brand but some people still insist on remembering what they were like 30 years ago and thinking its not changed.

Best mid sized suv - SLO76
“ So you keep telling us but there are plenty of ancient Kia's around these parts with excellent bodywork. There is a 12 year old Rio just down from us that looks factory fresh.”

They’re well enough protected up top, but sadly under body protection is poor. I’m basing my opinion on years of selling them, on opinions of other local dealers I often spoke to and bought from and on checking Mot histories on cars I recommend to people both on here and to friends and old customers seeking advice. Fact is Kia’s and Hyundai’s rust underneath faster than pretty much anything else, everyone in the trade barring someone trying to sell you one will tell you the same thing. Yes new models could be much improved but the jury is still out in my opinion. Time will tell, and yes my geographical location is much harder on cars than the south of England so rust issues flag up much sooner.
Best mid sized suv - badbusdriver

Out of your own suggestions, the Lexus would be the most reliable. But it isn't exactly spacious, not sure about inside the cabin, but the figures I have say the boot is smaller than that of the Arona. Out of the remaining two, the Tuscon has the bigger boot, but again not sure about inside the cabin.

I'd be looking at a RAV4 myself though.

Best mid sized suv - Engineer Andy
Sadly the British built Qashqai has a reputation for fragility so I’d leave it out, otherwise it’s just a case of test drive them and see which you prefer. The Kia and Hyundai tend to rust underneath more rapidly than most but I’m assuming it wont be kept past 6/7yrs old where this will become an issue anyway.

According to a Which? report I read in mid-2023, the latest Qashqai is supposedly a lot better on the reliability front than previous versions. Hard to tell really, given the car was first sold from 2021. Maybe if it does well in the reliability survey for 2024 I might be more convinced.

Best mid sized suv - Engineer Andy

It might be worth considering an estate car, which should be suitable for the dogs to ride in and often has a lower boot lip than some SUVs / crossovers. Whether they give sufficient leg room inside for the driver and passengers probably varies quite a bit.

I can understand why the OP is looking at SUVs / crossovers, given they often come with big chunky tyres and beefed up suspension that copes well with our bad roads and speed humps, although some are not so good if they are shod on big wheels and low profile tyres to offset the poorer handling characteristics of the vehicle (type).

Does the OP need a manual or 'auto'? That may make a big difference to what is recommended, given some auto are not to everyone's tastes or, in second hand form not guaranteed to be that reliable. Additionally, does 'hybrid include just 'full' self-charging powertrain hybrids like the Corolla, or 'mild' ones that run the electrics and provide no motive power (assistance)?

Possible worth considering the Toyota Corolla Touring Sports 1.8 / 2L petrol hybrid (the HJ review does say that rear seating may be limited for 6 footers, though nothing about the front);

Whether something from the VAG stable would be suitable- lots of (often seemingly never ending) choice in engine and trim combo for the various mild hybrid SUV, crossover or estate cars would suit, I'm not sure.

I'd try and avoid the big wheel (above 17in) / low profile (below '50') if possible to get a comfortable ride and keep running costs down (even if your employer picks up the tab, I'm sure they'll appreciate not having to shell out for replacement tyres and alloys a lot).

Sadly being able to do so with new cars nowadays is increasingly difficult.

Best mid sized suv - Big John

It might be worth considering an estate car, which should be suitable for the dogs to ride in and often has a lower boot lip than some SUVs / crossovers. Whether they give sufficient leg room inside for the driver and passengers probably varies quite a bit.

Agreed, estate cars are great if you have dogs.

Strange this thread has worried about rust - usually not an issue with any company car as usually most cars are fairly young.

Having had company cars I still say the BIK is really important as sometimes the tax can be way more than you would have paid if you simply bought the car yourself if you pick the wrong one.

Edited by Big John on 19/01/2024 at 20:23

Thanks for the replies..

Just to clarify. It will be an auto and as it will be less than 2yrs old and probably only for 2 maybe 3 years I don't think rust is an issue

Ideally plugin petrol hybrid as that maximises the saving on company car tax and fuel costs

Went to see a qashqai e-power today. Nice design, lovely interior , ok boot but only hybrid and 50mpg so quite a hit on tax. Next we went to see the cupra for mentor but it was more like a large hatchback than SUV. Finally went to see the plugin hybrid Hyundai Tucson. Ticked all the boxes in terms of size , plugin hybrid. Not the best looking car but over £40k new and the dealer said he's only had two uses ones in 2 years.

Thanks

After listening to what people and doing some calculations we have decided initially to look at plugin hybrids

So far on our list to look at are the Range Rover Evoque, Hyundai Tuscon and BMW X3

We can just about get one of these for around £30k with 2022 reg, less than 20k miles and with at least a 2 year warranty

We are going to look at them over the next week

Any comments/views. more than happy to listen

cheers

Best mid sized suv - galileo

After listening to what people and doing some calculations we have decided initially to look at plugin hybrids

So far on our list to look at are the Range Rover Evoque, Hyundai Tuscon and BMW X3

We can just about get one of these for around £30k with 2022 reg, less than 20k miles and with at least a 2 year warranty

We are going to look at them over the next week

Any comments/views. more than happy to listen

cheers

In terms of reliability and service/repair costs Hyundai is likely to be the best of those three.

To quote Dirty Harry, do you feel lucky?

Best mid sized suv - Ian_SW

Is it a company requirement for it to be a hybrid?

When looking for my wife a couple of years ago, we found that the Benefit In Kind tax wasn't necessarily cheaper on the hybrid due to it having a much higher list price. In the end, she settled on a standard 1.0TSI Leon which had almost exactly the same BIK tax as a hybrid Corolla. The plug-in hybrids do a bit better due to the artificially low CO2 emissions they have, but if being a plugin hybrid means it's £10-15k more in list price than the standard petrol or diesel engine, that can compensate for difference in % tax.

Also, keep in mind that you pay Benefit In Kind tax on the list price of the car, not what you bought it for. So, buying a "premium" secondhand car will attract more tax than a brand new car bought for the same amount of money.

Quite right.. its a minefield

Plugin hybrid makes quite a difference but your right if the car is £70k new its not going to make any difference. I did use a uk company car tax site which does all the calcs for you and it still made quite a difference on some cars..as example difference between hybrid qashqai and plugin evoque

Nissan Qashqai(Hybrid)

List price : £39,545

BIK(%) : 28%

BIK(%) : £11,073

Tax(20%) : £2215

Company Tax/Month : £185

Range Rover Evoque(PlugIn)

List price : £48,945

BIK(%) : 12%

BIK(%) : £5873

Tax(20%) : £1175

Company Tax/Month : £98

Edited by AndrewAUK99 on 26/01/2024 at 15:27

Best mid sized suv - Electric Leaper

Quite right.. its a minefield

Plugin hybrid makes quite a difference but your right if the car is £70k new its not going to make any difference. I did use a uk company car tax site which does all the calcs for you and it still made quite a difference on some cars..as example difference between hybrid qashqai and plugin evoque

Nissan Qashqai(Hybrid)

List price : £39,545

BIK(%) : 28%

BIK(%) : £11,073

Tax(20%) : £2215

Company Tax/Month : £185

Range Rover Evoque(PlugIn)

List price : £48,945

BIK(%) : 12%

BIK(%) : £5873

Tax(20%) : £1175

Company Tax/Month : £98

One thing to consider if getting a Plug-in Hybrid Vehicle (PHEV) is whether you have a home chargepoint (or will get one installed). This will enable you to access cheap EV electricity tariffs where you can pay as low as 9p/kWh for 4 hours every night (E.g. Octopus). This is the most cost efficient way to run a PHEV, although you will have to factor in a cost of a chargepoint if you don't already have one. Might be worth asking your wife's employer if they will fund this, if they are insisting on a PHEV.

Public charging is 7-8x more expensive than home charging and it will be cheaper to run it on petrol rather than charging.

Thanks.. they will probably fund it