Skoda Fabia - Is there known issue for VAG 1.0TSI ? - Catfood

We are looking to replace our 10 year old Citroen C4 Picasso. The car has been running okay but need to downsize so that our son can drive when he passes his driving test in next few month.

We quite like Skoda Fabia Hatchback and our budget is around 10k which will enable us to get one post 17/67 reg.

We tested 1.0TSI(95PS), I must say it was more than adequate for our usage. I feel this is the one to go for. Although we haven’t tested but feel 60PS version is perhaps slightly underpowered for 2020’s. I can’t say the same for 1.0MPI(75PS) but maybe doable.

My question, is there any known issue for VAG 1.0TSI engine ? I learnt that the dreaded VAG Timing Belt Changing Interval do not apply any longer. (Is it now 15 Years or 150,000 miles?)

Skoda Fabia - Is there known issue for VAG 1.0TSI ? - Wils

My father has a 2018 Skoda Rapid se 1.0tsi 95. (skoda fabia with a boot) Only problem was turbo/turbo actuator replaced under warranty. Have read from a few posts that the actuator can become siezed if driven gently! Whether that's true not sure. Otherwise a nice wee car which doesn't feel underpowered and has a bit of grunt when you need it. Practical and economical overall averages 52mpg mix of A roads and town driving. Seen 60 mpg on a long trip in summer. Easily serviced and parts are cheap. It's a car I have surprisingly warmed to the more I've used it.

Skoda Fabia - Is there known issue for VAG 1.0TSI ? - skidpan

We have had a 2018 Fabia for almost 6 years now and not a single issue either with the engine or the rest of the car. We are replacing it in March but not with another Fabia which was our first choice, in the new models VAG have cocked up the the location of the handbrake in not only the Fabia but the Polo, Ibiza, A3 (and others) and this makes pulling the lever fully on either difficult or even impossible, for the wife it was impossible. If its a Mk4 you are considering check this carefully.

We drove the 95 version and found it perfectly adequate but for another £600 we could upgrade to the 110 PS version which not only gave us another 15 PS but over 20 torques, a 6 speed gearbox and rear disc brakes. When I drove it I could feel the difference but was it better, only you can decide that.

Its averaged 48 mpg (calculated) over those 6 years which is excellent. On trips to the coast we have seen 60 mpg without trying.

Edited by skidpan on 22/01/2024 at 17:11

Skoda Fabia - Is there known issue for VAG 1.0TSI ? - Chris M

"upgrade to the 110 PS version which not only gave us another 15 PS but over 20 torques"

But the OP should check insurance prices if the son is going to be a user.

One of the reason to replace our car is to have a smaller engine with smaller output to keep insurance cost low and also my son to drive slower. 95PS is perhaps more than adequate...

Skoda Fabia - Is there known issue for VAG 1.0TSI ? - RT

Have read from a few posts that the actuator can become siezed if driven gently! Whether that's true not sure.

I think that's true of any turbo'd car - the actuator/vanes need to be exercised from time to time, the modern equivalent of an "italian tune-up"

Skoda Fabia - Is there known issue for VAG 1.0TSI ? - galileo

Have read from a few posts that the actuator can become siezed if driven gently! Whether that's true not sure.

I think that's true of any turbo'd car - the actuator/vanes need to be exercised from time to time, the modern equivalent of an "italian tune-up"

The actuator vanes rotate close to the diffuser surface, driven gently they may not move far so carbon builds up and blocks full movement when it is needed.

Variable geometry turbos on heavy duty diesel trucks often use a different system which moves a shield axially to change the area of gas flow, less subject to carbon build-up

Skoda Fabia - Is there known issue for VAG 1.0TSI ? - Adampr

Don't touch the non-turbo 1.0. it's glacial by modern standards.

Skoda Fabia - Is there known issue for VAG 1.0TSI ? - Halmerend
Not sure if this is the same engine as our 2017 Audi A1 1.0 TFSi which we’ve had from new. Cambelt change at 6 years old or 60,000 miles ( I think it’s 60,000) cost £625 at main dealer. It’s definitely different than a four cylinder cylinder engine but we’ve had no issues to date and car has done 45,000 miles now. I do wonder how long the turbo will last as we plan to keep it for at least another three years. We follow the excellent turbo advice on this site and always follow the service specification and it’s been main dealer serviced to date. Great city car and so easy to park.

I thought exactly the same but the benefit is my son will drive slower as it can't drive it faster physically....and lower insurance ?!?

Skoda Fabia - Is there known issue for VAG 1.0TSI ? - badbusdriver

I thought exactly the same but the benefit is my son will drive slower as it can't drive it faster physically....

As a parent, probably not wise to dwell too much on this. If your son is driving the lower powered car flat out, that is still roughly 40mph faster than the law allows (rather than 47 on the 110PS)!

and lower insurance ?!?

The insurance certainly should be lower on the 95PS version (and the car should be cheaper to buy), that is why it should be your choice. Plenty fast enough for a first car.

Edited by badbusdriver on 23/01/2024 at 09:12

Skoda Fabia - Is there known issue for VAG 1.0TSI ? - FiestaOwner

We are looking to replace our 10 year old Citroen C4 Picasso. The car has been running okay but need to downsize so that our son can drive when he passes his driving test in next few month.

We quite like Skoda Fabia Hatchback and our budget is around 10k which will enable us to get one post 17/67 reg.

We tested 1.0TSI(95PS), I must say it was more than adequate for our usage. I feel this is the one to go for. Although we haven’t tested but feel 60PS version is perhaps slightly underpowered for 2020’s. I can’t say the same for 1.0MPI(75PS) but maybe doable.

My question, is there any known issue for VAG 1.0TSI engine ? I learnt that the dreaded VAG Timing Belt Changing Interval do not apply any longer. (Is it now 15 Years or 150,000 miles?)

I have the 1.0 TSi (115PS) in my SEAT Ibiza and I've also driven Ibiza's with the 1.0 TSi (95PS). They are both very good engines with plenty of get up and go. Either engine would be a good choice.

Have also driven an Ibiza with the 1.0 non turbo engine. It was a big disappointment. Definitely go for one of the TSi's and steer clear of the normally aspirated version.

You're quite correct regarding VW group updating the recommendation for the timing belt replacement interval (this was in July 2023). When I contacted SEAT about the new recommendation for my car, I was told it's now 15 years or 180,000 miles. Basically the life of the car.

Skoda Fabia - Is there known issue for VAG 1.0TSI ? - Smileyman

I'm driving a SEAT Toledo with the 1.0 110PS engine. Have covered 95,000 miles, engine is fine. I have kept up with regular oil changes, approximately every 10,000 miles using SEAT dealerships. Drives well, I easily achieve over 50mpg on a tankful of petrol, in the past have almost reached 600 miles, in summer and not on congested roads.

I am still in the market for this car and still looking for one we want.

We see there are quite few example but sometime the car has 3-4 previous owners in short period of time, such as 5 year old car with 4 previous owners....

I suspect there must be something wrong with such car. Is my instinct right ?

I am still in the market for this car and still looking for one we want.

We see there are quite few example but sometime the car has 3-4 previous owners in short period of time, such as 5 year old car with 4 previous owners....

I suspect there must be something wrong with such car. Is my instinct right ?

I would certainly be wary of such a car. I don't worry about the number of previous owners as much as some, but keeping it less than a year means there either something wrong or it's just not a pleasant car to have.

Have you thought about a Kia Rio? Similar insurance to a normally aspirated Fabia 1.0, but a little more power and you could.probably get something newer and with fewer miles.

Yes, we've also started to look at an alternative like the one you mentioned as well as Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost(which I guess isn't a good engine?)

We are trying to avoid PSA 1.2 petrol engine.

Yes, we've also started to look at an alternative like the one you mentioned as well as Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost(which I guess isn't a good engine?)

Going back to your first post, have you actually enquired about insuring your son on the Picasso?. I wouldn't make an assumption about the insurance cost.

As for the size, (assuming it isn't a Grand C4 Picasso) it is only around 10% longer than a Fabia of the age you mention, so not a huge difference.

I had a shock about 2004 when a colleague bought his 17 year old son a very low mileage, one elderly owner Rover 820 as his first car. I asked him if he was mad, the insurance would be crippling. not so he replied, most 17 year olds go for Citroen Saxo's (or was it C2's) and Vauxhall Corsa's and their claim records make the cars virtually uninsurable, that was why most makes were offering free 12 insurance. The Rover had no history of 17 year olds making claims so cheap to insure.

I would expect a Citroen C4 Picasso to be blessed in a similar manner, not a 17 year olds choice of ride is it.

Oh, and yes, I'd avoid both Ecoboost and Puretech at the age you are looking at.

Fiesta 1.25 would be absolutely fine in terms of reliability, though obviously down on performance next to a turbo alternative. 59 and 82bhp versions available though, so make sure and avoid the former!

Also look at the Toyota Yaris, Mazda 2 and Suzuki Swift. With petrol engine and manual box, all very reliable. Honda Jazz too, though a young chap may not be very keen (may also apply to a Yaris!)

Skoda Fabia - Is there known issue for VAG 1.0TSI ? - Engineer Andy

Oh, and yes, I'd avoid both Ecoboost and Puretech at the age you are looking at.

Fiesta 1.25 would be absolutely fine in terms of reliability, though obviously down on performance next to a turbo alternative. 59 and 82bhp versions available though, so make sure and avoid the former!

Also look at the Toyota Yaris, Mazda 2 and Suzuki Swift. With petrol engine and manual box, all very reliable. Honda Jazz too, though a young chap may not be very keen (may also apply to a Yaris!)

The Fiesta 1.25 petrol was a decent engine on the mid-late 90s Fiesta, because that car was a light vehicle and the engine hadn't been remapped to reduce its CO2 output for VED reasons. My dad owned one (75hp version) and it was quite nippy - 0-60 in about 11.5 sec.

His next one, the next Fiesta (run-out 08 plate car - quite a bit heavier than the previous one [more safety features]) appeared to have the same engine (82hp version), but the remapping bumped the 0-60 time up by about 2 sec and he reported that it wasn't anywhere near as good to drive performance-wise. Reliable enough though.

The versions after that are bigger and heavier still, and general improvements to the engine appeared to offset the extra weight, so the performance was unchanged from looking at the HJ data.

We've got a quote insuring my son for C4 Picasso. I didn't add him to our existing insurance but a separate one via Marmalade. The price is actually good and less than I thought and doable.

www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/named-young-driver-insura...e

Our car is over 10 year old and 115,000 miles so it's probably worth just over £2k. I don't mind him driving it and I can live with it even if he destroy it. (Hope not happen but...)

The issue is C4 Picasso 1.6 HDI isn't attractive to 18 year old. In fact, it may help him drive less because of that....

He doesn't like Fiesta because every kids of his age have one.....

I don't trust Vauxhall Corsa for reliability.....

He quite likes Mazda 2 but haven't seen many for sale.

Honda Jazz can't get connect to Apple Car Play / Android phone, I like it otherwise.

Although I like Swift, but it's little too small to carry my bike.

Edited by Catfood on 15/02/2024 at 16:25

We've got a quote insuring my son for C4 Picasso. I didn't add him to our existing insurance but a separate one via Marmalade. The price is actually good and less than I thought and doable.

www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/named-young-driver-insura...e

Our car is over 10 year old and 115,000 miles so it's probably worth just over £2k. I don't mind him driving it and I can live with it even if he destroy it. (Hope not happen but...)

The issue is C4 Picasso 1.6 HDI isn't attractive to 18 year old. In fact, it may help him drive less because of that....

If the Picasso isn't attractive, I'm sure he's welcome to buy and insure his own car.

Back in 1974 when I was 17, had passed my test and needed a car for getting to work (buses were pointless and dads taxi did not operate at 5 in the morning - lifts were spasmodic at best) dad insisted that the only way was for me to buy a car and insure it myself. Bought a 1965 Anglia for £80 (more filler than metal) and insured it for £40 (TPFT) a year (in my name), dad was paying £20 a year for his 2 litre Cortina with me as a named driver. I was earning about £25 a week at the time so it took pretty much all my savings.

But in the long term (even the short term) it paid off since within 18 months I had gone onto an adult wage, saved some money and built up a bit of no claims. So I got a loan and bought a 1972 Viva 1800 for about £800 and insured it for not much more fully comp than the first year on the Anglia cost.

Mates who had been getting dad to insure their car with them as a named driver still had zero no claims and unknown to anyone at the time were actually breaking the law. Took them years to be able afford a set of decent wheels.

Yes, sure, but freedom and a set of wheels all the same, and surely better than walking. Also, if him and his mates want to go somewhere, five up in the Picasso is going to be much more pleasant than in a typical supermini!.

I don't trust Vauxhall Corsa for reliability.....

As long as you stick to the n/a 1.2 and 1.4 petrol, not really anything to fear reliability wise in the Corsa. But, the same issue as the Fiesta of being very common. Also, as has been mentioned, Fiesta's and Corsa's are probably going to be dearer to insure for the very reason that so many young drivers choose them as a first car.

He quite likes Mazda 2 but haven't seen many for sale.

What about one of these internet sellers like Cazoo?.

Honda Jazz can't get connect to Apple Car Play / Android phone, I like it otherwise.

If it is just to play music from his/your phone, you can buy things to connect your phone to the car hifi via bluetooth. Get them from Amazon or Ebay for not much money, certainly less then £20.

Although I like Swift, but it's little too small to carry my bike.

I realise the Swift is on the compact side of the supermini spectrum, but surely your bike will have to be carried on a rack whichever you go for (with the possible exception of the Jazz)?. As for inside, I've sat in the back of a Swift and found it absolutely fine. Helped by being tallish for a supermini and having a deep well under the back of the front seats for rear passengers feet.

The hunt for Skoda Fabia is still going on. I’ve seen 3 examples so far but none are in acceptable condition…..

Fabia must be the choice of pensioner with dog.

Every car I’ve seen so far, is low mileage and immaculate outside and inside but only front seat, the rear seat and the boot is full of hair and bite mark.

Oh and the smell of dog is unbearable…..It’s a good pick for those dog owner but not for non-dog owner….The salesman says they can remove the smell once it goes full valet but I don’t think so…..

Why can’t they disclose if the car has been in the hand of dog owner in the past so that I don’t even bother myself travelling and seeing one.

I also believe the car must be making very frequent short journey…1 mile to the park and back in the morning and afternoon ?!?!??!

Edited by Catfood on 11/04/2024 at 09:31

100% certain this is our Fabia which went in PX 3 weeks ago against a new Yaris. The mileage quoted is exactly as we parked it up and since Bristol Street is a Vertu company and we bought the Yaris from Vertu Chesterfield (via CarWow) it simply cannot be any other.

www.bristolstreet.co.uk/used-car/3457552/skoda-fab.../

Its been on the site now for a week and the price started at £10495, dropped to £10295 and its now £10,631, could be anything tomorrow.

Its "immaculate" inside, outside and has no smell of dog (we have one but no fouling in the car). Wheels are unmarked and tyres good for another 10,000 miles at a guess. It has the black roof option.

If its local(ish) well worth a look.

Oh that looks good but noticed it's 110PS.....

Skoda Fabia - Is there known issue for VAG 1.0TSI ? - Xileno

Have you checked the difference in insurance premium? It may not be very much and worth it to have a Fabia of known history.

Oh that looks good but noticed it's 110PS.....

Would not expect an extra 15 PS to make much difference. We were paying about £250.