Mercedes E class 250d 2018 - Tyre rotation with TPMS - Melly Goldsman

Hello

Tomorrow I was hoping to rotate tyres from the back to the front and front to back to get a few more miles out of them so they wear out at the same time.

I have a direct TPMS, IE the TPMS is in each wheel After a few mins driving the TPMS will give real time pressures if requested.

All 4 tyres are the same size and same pressures.

Do I just move the tyres around or do I need a special tool to re-calibrate them?

Reading the forums most of today, I'm non the wiser.

Mercedes E class 250d 2018 - Tyre rotation with TPMS - Chris M

Looks quite straightforward on the YouTube videos. No special tools required.

Mercedes E class 250d 2018 - Tyre rotation with TPMS - catsdad

There will be instructions in the manual to reset TPMS. It will be quite simple.

Have you got all the kit you need? Doing it with just one jack and a spare is hard work as you have to shuffle tyres. If you have no spare you will need axle stands. The last time I did it I vowed just to pay my indie next time. It was hot summer weather though and you may be fitter than me.

Mercedes E class 250d 2018 - Tyre rotation with TPMS - Andrew-T

If the tyres are rotational each must stay on the same side of the car.

Ok, cheers to all

Yes, I have a jack and spare wheel

I aim to keep the tyres on the same side, IE left front to left back etc

I thought it would be straightforward as the wheels have direct tpms. However, the more I read about the more confused I was.

I'm guess the wheels/tyres will learn within a few mins of driving

I was going to pay a garge but they are asking for 50 to 70 quid and I'm not loaded

Please feel free to add posts i order to give me more confidence

Mercedes E class 250d 2018 - Tyre rotation with TPMS - RT

There are two types of direct TPMS - one has 4 receivers, one in each wheel well, so you just mount the wheels where you want - the other has just one receiver, centrally, and the system has to be recoded if the wheels are moved around.

The vehicle handbook should give the necessary information.

Mercedes E class 250d 2018 - Tyre rotation with TPMS - elekie&a/c doctor
Can’t see the point of rotating tyres . It seems that tyre manufacturers don’t recommend it anyway. Surely you’ll end up buying 4 tyres instead of 2 ?

ok - looked at the car manual - states nothing about resetting -talks about wheel rotation as long as same size as is on mine - and as each wheel has its own tranitter, just change as per my OP.. I appreciate you help.

Mercedes E class 250d 2018 - Tyre rotation with TPMS - catsdad

Elekie, I mainly did it to wear the summer tyres evenly until all four need doing so I could move to all season.

Edited by catsdad on 26/01/2024 at 20:23

Mercedes E class 250d 2018 - Tyre rotation with TPMS - DavidGlos
Not sure if all four tyres should be set to the same pressure on your Merc, but if the fronts are different to the rears, make sure you amend the pressures once they’re all moved. Should be straightforward to reset the system from the dash/touchscreen or the system learns the new values over a few miles and then alerts you if any drop by more than the prescribed pressure.

Have fun! You’ll deserve a nice glass of something come the evening… unless you’ve been ‘persuaded’ to do dry January, as I have. Still, not too long to go now!
Mercedes E class 250d 2018 - Tyre rotation with TPMS - John F
Can’t see the point of rotating tyres . It seems that tyre manufacturers don’t recommend it anyway. Surely you’ll end up buying 4 tyres instead of 2 ?

That's the whole point of the excercise. Whatever the manufacturers say I think it's best to have all the tyres with roughly the same tread depth.

Mercedes E class 250d 2018 - Tyre rotation with TPMS - RT

That's the whole point of the excercise. Whatever the manufacturers say I think it's best to have all the tyres with roughly the same tread depth.

And important on many 4wd cars.

Mercedes E class 250d 2018 - Tyre rotation with TPMS - Andrew-T

<< Whatever the manufacturers say I think it's best to have all the tyres with roughly the same tread depth. >>

.... and the same age, if they are going to last several years.