Ford Fiesta - Young driver insurance - barney100

Need to pick brains on insurance for my grandson who will soon have a Fiesta worth maybe £5k. They’ve been told around £2500 for a 17 year lad with a provisional licence, is this the norm or is there any cheaper way? I fear they may have to bite the bullet.

Ford Fiesta - Young driver insurance - mcb100
Was that a quote for driving accompanied as a provisional licence holder, or solo as a qualified driver?

We went through this three years ago and it’s much cheaper (less expensive…) to insure a learner than someone that has passed.

Try Adrian Flux and Marmalade for cover for learning.

Daughter #2 is now driving a 2002 Clio (it’s slightly older than her), with business mileage for £109 per month through Admiral, whereas driving a 2 year old Captur (on L plates) was c£60 per month.

Ford Fiesta - Young driver insurance - badbusdriver

I think part of the problem is the choice of car. A Fiesta, along with the Corsa, is the stereotypical choice for a young driver. So insurers charge accordingly.

My nephew was in a similar position a few years ago and got a similar quote for an older Fiesta before passing his test. He ended up getting a Skoda Fabia VRS 1.9TDI after passing his test with the insurance costing quite a bit less than the Fiesta quote. I queried him about the insurance cost and he said apparently insurers class the Fabia (even the VRS) as a family car and so (presumably) assume the driver will be more mature and responsible?

Going back many years, I came upon a similar example of this when visiting a family friend. His son, who had just passed his test, had a Volvo 440 1.8i (then about two or three years old). The insurance cost was less than a 1.1 Fiesta!

So I would suggest looking at alternative car choices, maybe not the obvious "new driver" options. Also, look into trackers and things like "pass plus" (which I believe will reduce the cost of insurance.

Ford Fiesta - Young driver insurance - Xileno

All true, sensible and logical of course but he will want a Fiesta as his mates have one! Worth a try though.

Ford Fiesta - Young driver insurance - Andrew-T

.... he said apparently insurers class the Fabia (even the VRS) as a family car and so (presumably) assume the driver will be more mature and responsible?

I doubt that classifications of that kind come into it. Insurance premiums are based purely on accident and claim stats - insurers don't use premiums as a deterrent for or against particular makes of car. Then they may jostle for business with their competitors.

Ford Fiesta - Young driver insurance - RT

.... he said apparently insurers class the Fabia (even the VRS) as a family car and so (presumably) assume the driver will be more mature and responsible?

I doubt that classifications of that kind come into it. Insurance premiums are based purely on accident and claim stats - insurers don't use premiums as a deterrent for or against particular makes of car. Then they may jostle for business with their competitors.

Cars bought by mature family drivers will have a better claim record than cars chosen by young inexperienced yoofs, all other things being equal - so insurance will be cheaper to buy an "uncool" car until the youngster has built up some experience and no-claims history

Ford Fiesta - Young driver insurance - Big John

I am afraid at 17 insurance will be rather expensive once they have there own car / policy. They need to get a large number of quotes. We were in this situation with our son a decade ago and some quotes were over £6k even then, The choice of car is crucial and it's not just looking at insurance group it's to do with stats of young drivers in certain car - some cars that young people liked could have high quotes despite being a low insurance group car. Bizarrely passing on our previous family car a 1.4 16v (not turbo) to our son was cheaper that him in a Panda 1.2 at the time. A lot of first driver policies also require a black box being fitted but we managed to avoid.

Our son did get the Pass Plus certificate but we found that made little difference to the insurance prices. At least the process of doing this kept up his driving experience up.

Edited by Big John on 28/01/2024 at 09:44

Ford Fiesta - Young driver insurance - Falkirk Bairn

2 years ago my granddaughter was given an Aygo by her mum & dad.

As a learner the 1st year premium was under £800

She passed her test after 9 months (Delays in driving test were 6 months)

2nd year premium was up to around £1200 so they switched insurer - IIRC it was around £900.

17 year old girls are cheaper to insure than 17 year old boys and that was 2 years ago but it is possible to get lower premiums - she now has a "black box" which monitors her driving.

Black box marks her down for driving at busy times , going to /from university. She also gets marked after going to and finishing her part-time job as a lifeguard. Her actual driving is high standard - the Aygo is an ideal car for a youngster - reliable & low powered.

Ford Fiesta - Young driver insurance - daveyjp

If he's learning in an already insured vehicle look at Marmalade. Pay for a few months until he passes his test.

We have found it reasonable to insure our daughter on the Yaris, far cheaper than extra driving lessons now she is now more than competent. Also check waiting times for tests, its 4-6 months in our area.

Ford Fiesta - Young driver insurance - bathtub tom
Black box marks her down for driving at busy times , going to /from university.

When my kids were first driving, going to and from a place of education was specifically exclude. Have you read the policy carefully?