any - Insurance renewals - gordonbennet

Well the 3 renewals are in. All with DL.

Our old Merc coupe renewal was £10 cheaper than last year, obviously we'll let that auto renew on its due tate, circa £175ish without looking.

Landcruiser and Forester XT came in at £414 (up from £270ish last year) and £390 (up from £280ish last year) respectively.

I put through both with MSE comparison site, and then phoned DL to see if there was any negotiation possible, i always try to be fair comparing apples with apples so ignored the ultra cheap quotes from the unknowns and the one company that one always hears bad reviews about re people being stung heavily for mid term changes etc.

Anyway, we did some mild jiggery pokery with the cover, lowered the mileages slightly to what i'd put in the comparison site and removed the (automatic) business use that DL's standard comp policies come with, total excesses were either the same or within £50, protected policies with legal cover and basic courtesy car etc.

Have now re-insured with DL @ £290 ish and £270ish respectively and was happy to do so, prefer to have a bit of history where possible rather than swapping all the time, i paid up on the spot so would assume the nice lady i dealt with would get the commission for her time and trouble.

Worth the time taken and once again DL proved good to deal with given a bit of fairness both ways.

Edited by gordonbennet on 29/01/2024 at 13:55

any - Insurance renewals - Engineer Andy

I might get a quote from them this time around if mine goes up. I'm currently with QuoteMeHappy.

The problem for me is that I don't have much wiggle room on the cover, as I've already got mine at the minimum of 5000 miles p.a., where, from previous experience, insurers don't lower the premium for less mileage. I already put a £100 voluntary excess on mine (and kept in when transferring 2 years ago from esure).

Hopefully my car is in that 'lower risk' category for theft. What concerns me is that now that the car is getting near the 20 year old mark, parts that already weren't exactly cheap (as recent events showed) may become even more expensive as they become more scarce (the model was out of production in 2009).

I also wonder if cars like ours get dragged into 'general insurance premium rises' associated with the EV / new car problems (complexity of parts combined with unknown risks and shortages) where insurers 'spread' the cost around to everyone so that certain vehicles don't become 'uninsurable'.

They do this with other forms of insurance, e.g. buildings insurance to a degree.

any - Insurance renewals - Chris M

GB - Do you really need (or want!) a i10 or similar courtesy car when you have 3 cars and two drivers?

I don't bother with the courtesy car as we have two cars and two drivers and it wouldn't be a hardship. I also feel with my wife's Panda, a crunched wing and headlamp would write it off and the payout may arrive quicker than the courtesy car.

any - Insurance renewals - sajid

I had my renewal quote for my 2015 yaris deisel from dl £660 ! Last year was £340, rang advisor who stated costs have risen parts price labour, i said nothing has changed from my end more than 9 years no claim insurance under 5000 miles.

Comparision sites were 540 managed to reduce it to £600 stuck with dl due to customer service loan car and speedy resolution.

Mentioned i look after my yaris just recently it had front brake pads and disks replaced and rear drum brakes and shoes and the springy bits replaced as well as shod on crossclimate 2 tyres.

any - Insurance renewals - Engineer Andy

GB - Do you really need (or want!) a i10 or similar courtesy car when you have 3 cars and two drivers?

I don't bother with the courtesy car as we have two cars and two drivers and it wouldn't be a hardship. I also feel with my wife's Panda, a crunched wing and headlamp would write it off and the payout may arrive quicker than the courtesy car.

Perhaps insurers may wish to introduce different levels of cover for use of courtesy cars, whether via individual policies or if you have a 'multi-car' (household) one.

This could could include options for X number of days' use of a courtesy (hire) car as well as a blanket cover whilst your damaged car is away being repaired. The former may be helpful for people who are retired or who only need their car occasionally, e.g. for a weekly shop, visit to friends, family or special occasions.

It would at least cut down on unnecessary loaning out of cars, though may be more difficult (and possibly expensive) for people who live away from larger towns and cities (like myself) where hiring a car can be a good deal more expensive due to the added cost of getting it from the hiring firm's location.

Maybe some kind of 'sharing' service between users across more than one insurer may be needed in order to cut down on costs in that regard, even if that means employing staff to inspect cars between each new user out and about.

Just spit-balling here really. Thoughts / other ideas?

any - Insurance renewals - gordonbennet

Quite happy with just a basic set of wheels for a few days or weeks to get to and from work, would rather know a basic courtesy car is a cert, don't want to get involved with credit hire sharks.

Doubt the courtesy car option amounts to much of the premium.

any - Insurance renewals - leaseman

My Citroen C5 Aircross EAT8 is insured with the British Bulldog and I paid just over £300 last year.

At the turn of the year I went on the website to investigate the renewal premium for renewal this coming weekend, to find my new premium would begin with a 5.

Looking at 3 Comparison sites, the Bulldog was the best quote available at £435 and a few days later I received a renewal notice through the nail at exactly that figure. I 'phoned them today, argued for a short while and agreed a figure which represents an increase of 7% from last year with exactly the same cover. Happy with that. Now to tackle the Home and Contents cover which is also due for renewal this weekend!

any - Insurance renewals - RT

Quite happy with just a basic set of wheels for a few days or weeks to get to and from work, would rather know a basic courtesy car is a cert, don't want to get involved with credit hire sharks.

Doubt the courtesy car option amounts to much of the premium.

Many insurers provide the courtesy car by making it a condition for their preferred repairers, some insurers have an extra-cost option to provide a better hire car.

When we had two cars in the family I always opted not to have a courtesy car to reduce the premiums but now we're down to one car, the courtesy car's a necessity - albeit I can cope with a Hyundai i10 sized car.