VW T6, Vivaro, Transit - Crew Vans which one ? - leek

I'm thinking of buying a crew van either a VW , Vivaro or Transit

Will most probably do around 20k miles per year

Needs to be automatic & ULEZ compliant, low tax band and low insurance

What van would you recommend?

Would you lease a van for 3 years or buy a used van? ( budget is £20k )

If used van how many miles on a van is too much?

VW T6, Vivaro, Transit - Crew Vans which one ? - mcb100
I think I’d also be looking at how a used van has been used.

Was it a florist doing deliveries around town, or was it builders using and abusing it?
VW T6, Vivaro, Transit - Crew Vans which one ? - nick62

I'm thinking of buying a crew van either a VW , Vivaro or Transit

Needs to be automatic & ULEZ compliant, low tax band and low insurance

I sold my 2015 (65) VW Transporter Kombi (crew cab) T5.1 (last of the non-ULEZ compliant versions) a few months ago for a shade under £24K.

It was a top spec. version and in A1 condition, lowish miles (73K), but I think you'll struggle to get a ULEZ compliant VW Transporter (T6 / T6.1) with that budget, but good luck. I'm now on my third.

If you can stretch to a VW Transporter, you'll recoup any premium paid when you sell it.

Edited by nick62 on 30/01/2024 at 12:46

VW T6, Vivaro, Transit - Crew Vans which one ? - SLO76
Used vans are a nightmare, most are mostly offloaded because they’re no longer economically viable. However you do have a healthy budget so ex lease and fleet vans are viable, these are offloaded at a certain age rather than waiting until they’re absolutely knackered as with the bulk of used vans.

I wouldn’t touch any of the options you mention as an auto, they’re all fragile things that’ll end up costing you a fortune in repairs. The only diesel auto van I’d consider would be a Mercedes. I work for a local bus company and we’ve run numerous different types of minibuses over the years, only the Merc’s stand the test. We trialled a VW auto a few years ago on a rural route, but it needed a gearbox before it hit 50,000 miles, despite regular and correct maintenance. The Mercedes Strata’s we use now range from 200,000 to 350,000 miles up and none have suffered major engine or gearbox failures. They do flag up the occasional emissions warning, but I’ve never been let down by one - yet.

We also run a fleet of Transit 16str’s, and they’re a nightmare for engine problems, mostly emissions, injector or turbo related. They’re good to drive, but I wouldn’t touch one with my own money. A good friend runs Ford Ranger pickups for his structural engineering firm and the last two autos he had both required replacement gearboxes before they were three years old. He only leases manuals now, to save the hassle and downtime.

I never had the slightest problem with the 7 speed DSG semi-auto on my last VW Transporter (wet clutch type - oil changed at the recommended 40,000 miles interval).

After driving an auto, I would NOT under any circumstances go back to a manual.

VW T6, Vivaro, Transit - Crew Vans which one ? - badbusdriver

I never had the slightest problem with the 7 speed DSG semi-auto on my last VW Transporter (wet clutch type - oil changed at the recommended 40,000 miles interval).

After driving an auto, I would NOT under any circumstances go back to a manual.

How old was it and how many miles did it have when you bought it though?

The OP has a £20k budget for an automatic crew van. That may seem a lot of money but a wee look on Autotrader shows that it really isn't. If you don't mind how many miles the van has, there are over 100 listed. But that is going to include vans smaller than what the OP wants and will also include DIY conversions with and without rear side windows. Filter them out and you've probably got about 50 to choose from. Set an upper mileage limit to 80k and that list of "proper" (factory) crew vans will shrink to less than 20, nationwide.

So the question then becomes, would you be happy and confident parting with £20k for a 10 year old Transporter DSG with 75k miles and 4 previous owners (any or all of which may have driven it like they stole it)?

I bought it new

I bought it new

Well there you go then!.

And it also neatly sums up the problems of singing the praise of a DCT type gearbox. Your experience might be relevant for the OP if their budget would get them into a new van. As it is, your experience counts for nothing unless the previous owner or owners of any van the OP is considering has been driven and looked after in the manner you've done with yours. And how would you find that out on a used van?

I'd also still be interested in whether or not you'd have the same confidence in buying a used DSG Transporter of the age/mileage the OP's budget would secure (which would be at least 5 years old with over 100k miles, or at least 9 years old with under)?

Well there you go then!.

And it also neatly sums up the problems of singing the praise of a DCT type gearbox.

What else am I supposed to say, it was a pile of c*** and always in the garage?

Well there you go then!.

And it also neatly sums up the problems of singing the praise of a DCT type gearbox.

What else am I supposed to say, it was a pile of c*** and always in the garage?

You can say whatever you want, but I've no clue what the purpose of telling lies would be.

I've also no clue as to why you can't understand that the experience of someone who bought a DSG equipped van new (and has had no problems with it) is not applicable to someone who's budget dictates either a high milage or ageing example.

I'd also still be interested in whether or not you'd have the same confidence in buying a used DSG Transporter of the age/mileage the OP's budget would secure (which would be at least 5 years old with over 100k miles, or at least 9 years old with under)?

Still avoiding answering this question though, which speaks volumes (and is relevant to the OP).