VW Polo - 9N3/MK4 polo question - Beardy_J
Hi, I have been thinking of buying a late 9N3 (MK4) Polo, a 09 reg to be exact.

There appears to be 2 types of auto gearboxes fitted to this model.

- the 2006 auto version is a 4 speed, presumably a torque convertor type.

- the 2008 onwards auto version appears to be a 6 speed tiptronic.

Does anyone know what type of gearbox the 6 speed auto is in the later 2008-2009 9N3 MK4 generation?

Is it a torque converter type, an earlier version of the DSG or the exact same DSG gearbox they used in the later MK5 polo?

And is this generation of transmission as reliable as the MK5 DSG and more fuel efficient than the traditional torque converter type used in the 2006 models?

Edit: this is not the car I’m actually purchasing but I have attached an advert of the exact model I’m talking about as an example. [www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401275954273]

Edited by Beardy Jon on 01/02/2024 at 08:19

VW Polo - 9N3/MK4 polo question - elekie&a/c doctor
Don’t think the dsg box was fitted to Polo models of this age . This looks like the old style TC auto 4 speed . The later 6 speed , I think, was only available on the 1.6 engine.
Thanks for your reply.

I always assumed that with traditional torque converter automatics you can’t manually change the gears up and down. But in the model shown on autotrader (image 27) it does appear that you can switch to semi auto mode. Would that not make it a DSG or at least a different type of semi auto or am I wrong about the whole thing?

Edited by Beardy_J on 01/02/2024 at 11:00

VW Polo - 9N3/MK4 polo question - Adampr

The later 1.4 and 1.6 had a tiptronic auto (toque converter).

You don't need DSG to be able to select gears, but those old tiptronics aren't exactly responsive so you'd end up leaving it in auto.

Ahh excellent. Thanks both for answering my question.

So just a quick follow up as you seem to know a lot about it. Were these Tiptronics any more economical than the traditional torque converters in the Polo? Also does one tend to be more reliable than the other with this age of Polo?
VW Polo - 9N3/MK4 polo question - RT
Ahh excellent. Thanks both for answering my question. So just a quick follow up as you seem to know a lot about it. Were these Tiptronics any more economical than the traditional torque converters in the Polo? Also does one tend to be more reliable than the other with this age of Polo?

I wouldn't expect the tiptronic aspect to make them more economical - but the higher number of gears would as that enables a wider range of ratios, so a higher overdrive in top as well as increased proportion of time spent in torque converter lock-up.

Thanks again. Sorry if I’m still being stupid but does the car in the example have a higher number of gears than the 4 speed or is it just the 1.6 versions?

Edited by Beardy_J on 01/02/2024 at 17:23

deleted

Edited by RT on 01/02/2024 at 14:16

Thanks for your reply. I always assumed that with traditional torque converter automatics you can’t manually change the gears up and down. But in the model shown on autotrader (image 27) it does appear that you can switch to semi auto mode. Would that not make it a DSG or at least a different type of semi auto or am I wrong about the whole thing?

Many torque converter automatics have a "tiptronic" manual mode so it's not indicative of the type of gearbox.

VW Polo - 9N3/MK4 polo question - badbusdriver

So just a quick follow up as you seem to know a lot about it. Were these Tiptronics any more economical than the traditional torque converters in the Polo? Also does one tend to be more reliable than the other with this age of Polo?

The name Tiptronic was coined by Porsche for the auto transmission on the then new 964 generation 911. It was simply a torque converter auto whereby as well as using "P", "D", "N" etc, you could slide the selector across to a separate plane and change gear manually using "+" and "-". But as I said, it was still a torque converter auto and as such the changes were not especially quick (and for the 911, it was also hampered by only having 4 gears). Since then, while VW and Audi, (through their close ties with Porsche), have officially been able to use the name Tiptronic, others have pounced on the name (in much the same way as the name Jeep or Hoover) in reference to any automatic car (including DSG/DCT) where you have the obvious facility to change gears manually (I say obviously because as has been mentioned, you can select gears manually on pretty much all auto's, it's just that you would use "1", "2". "3" and "D" depending on how many gears were involved).

The only difference between the 4 speed and 6 speed boxes in the Polo's you mention are the amount of gears and the fact that the 6 speed version can be changed manually using "+" and "-" on the separate plane. They both work in exactly the same way and are both torque converter. The 6 speed should be more efficient (though not by a huge amount) than the 4 speed if driven in a relaxed manner, but little difference if driven hard.

A DCT, DSG in VW parlance is completely different as they are actually a manual gearbox where the (dual) clutches are operated automatically. These are, in most cases, more efficient, but they are also not very tolerant of abuse which is why most potential buyers asking on the forum will be advised against buying one. They can be reliable, but that is dependant on the previous owner or owners having driven the car with a degree of mechanical sympathy. Not something you can easily find out on a used car.

That’s excellent. Thank you for such a detailed explanation. I would rate this comment 5* if I had the ability to do so!
VW Polo - 9N3/MK4 polo question - badbusdriver

No probs!.

Can I ask if there is a particular reason you want a Polo?. You want a small auto and presumably have a particular budget. But with that budget, there is not going to be a huge supply of candidates. Also, when looking at cars of this kind of age, condition really is everything, much more important than make or model. So by limiting yourself to a Polo you could be ignoring other potentially better cars within your budget.

As an example, the first generation Nissan Note (2005-2012) springs to mind. These are incredibly reliable, likely to be more so than a Polo, much more spacious and practical (being a sort of mini MPV) despite not being much bigger. I know you said the car you linked was just an example, but assuming that was the approximate budget you are working with, here is a Note on Autotrader of a similar price to look at,