Four legged rather than 4 wheel drives - Horses plus accidents - R Ed

Re Horses article: as I live in "horsey" area I often slow for horses and their riders; usually giving them a wide berth or stop until they have passed, especially if I do not recognise the more local riders. However I do not approve of riderless horses or ponies being led on a rein; it is tricky enough to control one horse, but they should not be holding or controlling riderless horse/pony. Even more so when leading 2,3 or 4 others. This should be made illegal. I wonder how they would come off if an accident occurs as they are very definitely not in control. Are they insured for such events?

Four legged rather than 4 wheel drives - Horses plus accidents - Gerry Sanderson

Sorry but firmly believe horses are for fields not roads

DVD

Four legged rather than 4 wheel drives - Horses plus accidents - Andrew-T

Even more so when leading 2,3 or 4 others. This should be made illegal.

Agreed that this can be hazardous. However the use of public roads is historically for foot passengers and equine traffic, which traditionally has priority, despite the fact that most traffic is now motor-driven on four or more wheels. So what you describe cannot really be made illegal - what about a farmer moving a flock of sheep between fields ?

Four legged rather than 4 wheel drives - Horses plus accidents - skidpan

There is a lady in town near us who rides her nag on main roads at rush hour times. Creates huge queues at junctions.

Must be mad.

Four legged rather than 4 wheel drives - Horses plus accidents - galileo

There is a lady in town near us who rides her nag on main roads at rush hour times. Creates huge queues at junctions.

Must be mad.

A real lady would not be so inconsiderate and selfish. She is not a lady.

Four legged rather than 4 wheel drives - Horses plus accidents - bathtub tom

Horses were there before motor vehicles! Not that I'm condoning the nasty, biting, kicking and unpredictable things.

Four legged rather than 4 wheel drives - Horses plus accidents - Terry W

New laws should only be created where they are likely to be properly enforced.

Most drivers are considerate. Changing the law is unlikely to change the behaviour of those who are not. Horse minders will typically be concerned for the well being of their animals, even if they have an inflated opinion of their own ability to control them.

I do not see the police spending much time touring the countryside looking for erring horse minders and prosecuting them.

In the event of a serious accident I assume proving liability remains as current - post incident analysis and police decide on whether to charge.

There is no sound reason for legislation, it further clutters the law with an ever growing list of the worthy yet unenforced - pointless!

Four legged rather than 4 wheel drives - Horses plus accidents - Electric Leaper

Out of interest, do horses and/or their owners need to be insured to use public highways?

Four legged rather than 4 wheel drives - Horses plus accidents - Bromptonaut

Out of interest, do horses and/or their owners need to be insured to use public highways?

I suspect not though wise people will insure. Riding schools and such like will no doubt do so.

A horse is a big animal and, whether at its instance or that od a driver it can do a LOT of damage to a car.

Four legged rather than 4 wheel drives - Horses plus accidents - Andrew-T

Sounds rather like Fred Dibnah on his steamroller - the ancestor of the ICE vehicle .... :-)

Four legged rather than 4 wheel drives - Horses plus accidents - gordonbennet

I'm going against the concensus here, always glad to see horses being ridden or led on the roads, the day i haven't got time for these marvellous animals i'll mince off down the nick and hand my licence in.

When humans have finally poisoned and destroyed the world and themselves into extinction animals will roam freely once again as nature claims its lands back for cleansing and renewal.

Four legged rather than 4 wheel drives - Horses plus accidents - leaseman

You're not alone GB.

Having had clients leasing innumerable cars over the years covering 40,000 miles+ per annum, with todays alternative communication methods, I have to ask myself "What's the point in today's surroundings?"

There's still a time and place for booting it down the Highways ......but not on the Byways!

Four legged rather than 4 wheel drives - Horses plus accidents - Adampr

I'm going against the concensus here, always glad to see horses being ridden or led on the roads, the day i haven't got time for these marvellous animals i'll mince off down the nick and hand my licence in.

When humans have finally poisoned and destroyed the world and themselves into extinction animals will roam freely once again as nature claims its lands back for cleansing and renewal.

I agree, GB. You've got to be pretty impatient and mean spirited to get annoyed by a horse.

Four legged rather than 4 wheel drives - Horses plus accidents - John F

Sounds rather like Fred Dibnah on his steamroller - the ancestor of the ICE vehicle .... :-)

I think a steam engine is an ECE, not an ICE, as the combustion takes place outside the cylinder ;-)

Four legged rather than 4 wheel drives - Horses plus accidents - mcb100
‘ Sounds rather like Fred Dibnah on his steamroller - the ancestor of the ICE vehicle .... :-)’

Ancestor as in ECE, an external combustion engine?
Four legged rather than 4 wheel drives - Horses plus accidents - skidpan

Horses and other large mammals will become extinct just like humans unless we act now.

Why do you think they would survive?

Four legged rather than 4 wheel drives - Horses plus accidents - TinaS

As a regular rider and part time worker on a riding yard, I would like to thank those who slow down for horses and pass carefully. We always acknowledge with a wave and a smile. If on a narrow lane, we pull in to the next gateway to allow cars past, and if more than five horses are out, we split into two groups so drivers can pull into the gap. If approaching a bend, the lead rider will wave cars past once she has clear sight of the road ahead. We are lucky in having miles of bridleway to explore and it is possible for us to ride for several hours with very little road work. If we have to cross a road on a longer ride, someone drives to the crossing point and holds up the traffic (centre of village, 30 mph) while we cross. No one seems to mind.

Drivers are always patient with the disabled riders who ride out in a group from another yard in the area, accompanied by many helpers on foot who walk beside them, togged out in hi-vis.

Most people (thank you, Gordonbennet) seem to enjoy the sight of our steeds, safe sensible types. They are carefully trained and are well accustomed to tractors, bin lorries, motorbikes etc.

I agree that sometimes people take stupid risks – recently I came across someone riding one horse and leading two big fit sports horses, on a well sighted but fast stretch of road. It is common practice on hunt yards for staff to exercise horses by riding one and leading another (called ponying) but they are experienced riders and hunt yards are located in out of the way rural areas with locals well accustomed to slowing down for them.

We do lead horses (in a headcollar and lead rope) along the lane between field and yard, I will admit to sometimes leading two to save time, but it is a very quiet lane, with only us and another small business there. Yard rule is always to wear hi-vis when doing this and when riding off the premises.

If you really dislike having to slow down for horses I suggest you avoid Middleham (North Yorkshire) in the mornings – it is home to many race yards and the strings of race horses go out through the town on the way to the gallops. It’s a wonderful sight.

We do have insurance, a benefit of membership of the British Horse Society whose Ride Safe course is recognised by the DfT.

Finally I would just say that horses have served mankind for centuries in agriculture, transport, warfare and sport. I’m old enough to remember the rag and bone man with his horse and cart and brewers’ drays with their teams of magnificent shire horses. Horses are still the best choice for going off road!

TinaS

“Don’t look at the ground or that’s where you’ll end up”