Ford Ranger - UK Government changes the BIK tax rules on pickups - Steveieb

New rules affecting Benefit in Kind tax rules are being introduced from July. How will this affect the market for these vehicles?

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-advice/uk-tax-man-about-punch-double-cab-pickup-drivers-face

Ford Ranger - UK Government changes the BIK tax rules on pickups - Xileno

Plumber opposite has one (Ford Ranger), I don't think I've ever seen anything in the luggage area apart from shopping bags. It's not used for the business (he has vans for that) but it will undoubtedly be 'on the books'. I expect it will be up for sale before long.

Ford Ranger - UK Government changes the BIK tax rules on pickups - Chris M

I have three neighbours who run Ford Rangers, all used as family cars rather than commercial use. One of them is now on his second and retired a couple of years ago. He has a number of rental properties so I guess it's run under that business.

I imagine the bottom will fall out of the market for them as, and the article states, they'll be classed as heavily polluting cars. I think there's a PHEV version out soon.

Edited by Chris M on 16/02/2024 at 11:13

Ford Ranger - UK Government changes the BIK tax rules on pickups - skidpan

In the past when rules have changed it has only applied to new registrations. Vehicles already on the road have carried on under the old rules. Where I worked several had Hi-Lux and similar but on the next new vehicle after the introduction of BIK on these trucks they mostly reverted to conventional cars again. Why pay tax on something they mostly hated other than for the tax benefit.

Just found this (guess I should have looked before I posted) and it confirms the above.

www.carwow.co.uk/news/7450/double-cab-pickups-lose...4

The existing rules will still apply to trucks ordered before 01 July so expect a bonanza for the manufacturers.

Edited by skidpan on 16/02/2024 at 13:48

Ford Ranger - UK Government changes the BIK tax rules on pickups - Steveieb

Government announces U turn on this new rule after protests from farmers .

There is a story in Autocar if someone could load it please?

Ford Ranger - UK Government changes the BIK tax rules on pickups - Xileno

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/consumer/tax-hike-pick-...t

Ford Ranger - UK Government changes the BIK tax rules on pickups - Chris M

Not a complete U-turn.

"Despite the change of heart, however, it will only affect double-cab pick-ups with a payload of more than one tonne. Double-cab pick-ups with payloads below 1000kg, like the Ford Ranger Raptor, will continue to be classed as passenger cars."