Vauxhall Corsa - Opinion please - Eddie123

A friend told me this car is for chavs, not a 61 year old woman. What do you think? Thinking of buying this car and don't want to be ridiculed. Tia

Vauxhall Corsa - Opinion please - skidpan

A friend told me this car is for chavs, not a 61 year old woman. What do you think? Thinking of buying this car and don't want to be ridiculed. Tia

If you like it does it matter.

Vauxhall Corsa - Opinion please - badbusdriver

Not really sure what a chav is but I will make one or two observations.

For a youth, particularly male, a 3 door Corsa will be much more desirable than a 5 door. For those same youths, a sporty trim is much more desirable than a non sporty trim. So the VXR is top of the tree followed by SRI and the other trim levels are some way behind.

So if you are looking at a 5 door SE for example, there is no reason why you may be ridiculed. Though as Skidpan points out, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of it, only what you think of it,

Edited by badbusdriver on 18/02/2024 at 12:46

Vauxhall Corsa - Opinion please - Adampr

Your friend probably also says 'you can't beat German engineering ' and will advise you that all French cars break down all the time. They're just parroting stereotypes and prejudices they've picked.up along the way.

But whatever you want.

Vauxhall Corsa - Opinion please - Xileno

I knew a man in France years ago (1991) who was in his late 70s then. He drove a R5 GT Turbo. I once asked him if he would be more comfortable with a more modest R5, almost certainly more comfy seats. He then explained he was a retired RAF pilot and the acceleration and thrills reminded him of his flying days. As good a reason as any. Buy what you want and enjoy.

Edited by Xileno on 18/02/2024 at 13:41

Vauxhall Corsa - Opinion please - daveyjp

No mention of whether it is a new model, or one a few years old.

Regardless there are far more reliable cars out there.

Nephew had a 66 reg until recently. It was becomimg a regular at the garage so has just sold it. Well known issues, coil pack failure, coolant sensor and then electrical gremlins started.

Vauxhall Corsa - Opinion please - catsdad

Our 2010 model was poor too. Very cheaply built and had a succession of faults. It always got us home so that’s a plus However it regularly needed my regular attention to faults. Much newer ones may be better but unlikely to prove as reliable as the best competitors.

Vauxhall Corsa - Opinion please - bathtub tom

Not really sure what a chav is

I was told (one of many explanations) that the girls of Cheltenham Ladies College used it to disparagingly describe the less savoury types of young men that tried to chat them up as 'Cheltenham average'.

Vauxhall Corsa - Opinion please - John F

Thinking of buying this car and don't want to be ridiculed.

If buying an 'unfashionable' car, have the self confidence and knowledge to defend your choice. (I bought a TR7 in1981...)

Vauxhall Corsa - Opinion please - alan1302

Thinking of buying this car and don't want to be ridiculed.

If buying an 'unfashionable' car, have the self confidence and knowledge to defend your choice. (I bought a TR7 in1981...)

No need to defend your choice - you buy what you like if someone wants me to defend by choice they can jog on.

Vauxhall Corsa - Opinion please - SLO76
What age is it? They’re not the best superminis but if you’re on a tight budget condition and history matter and it would be unwise to walk past a tidy well cared for 1.2/1.4 petrol Corsa to buy a tatty Honda Jazz etc that’s been neglected. I certainly wouldn’t care what anyone else thought about it, image just isn’t important when buying a cheap car, reliability and ease of repair are. If it’s a 1.3 diesel then avoid, the 1.0 turbo is problematic also and best left alone. The 1.0 non-turbo tends to eat timing chains if neglected also and is painfully slow on the open road. A tidy 1.2/1.4 petrol could be a perfectly decent runabout however.
Vauxhall Corsa - Opinion please - Ethan Edwards

Corsa has been available as a BEV since late2020 I believe. Do go test drive one ,

Vauxhall Corsa - Opinion please - Ian_SW

There are two things I associate with the current model Corsa, which is generally just a fairly average medium hatchback.

1. Hire car - this and the Vauxhall Crossland seems to be the model of choice at the moment.

2. Low end company car - e.g. for home carers, meter readers etc, usually the base model version in flat red or white.

The only "Chav" Corsa (assuming "Chav" is referring to the boy racer types seen doing wheelspins in a McDonalds car park on a Saturday evening) is the VXR version which eas discontinued a good few years ago.

The standard Fiesta is normally considered much more of a young person's car than the Corsa.

Vauxhall Corsa - Opinion please - Eddie123

Thanks all! Useful and sometimes funny comments.