Please help recommend a family car - Richie1986

Hi there,

I will soon have three children so it's time to upgrade the old polo!

I have been looking at some different models but would appreciate any advice regarding reliability or things to watch out for. My main requirements are that it is reliable, can handle three car seats comfortably, and has ample storage space for carting buggies etc. 7 seats would be preferred for bringing grandparents but not a deal-breaker.. 3 isofix points are a plus but can can often belt the middle one.

I would probably be doing something like 8000km a year.

Budget would be up to 22000 or so.

My sister in law has a c4 picasso and hasn't seemed to give her much trouble so was looking at that. Other cars I was looking at include a VW Touran and Ford SMax. Have also looked at Berlingo and vauxhall combi.

I recently saw a Prius+ and have actually been leaning towards that only because it is a Toyota..

Would appreciate any advice regarding reliability or any recommendations!

Please help recommend a family car - Adampr

A Dacia Jogger is specifically designed for people.in your situation. It doesn't have all the 'safety' gizmos that some have. A good thing in my view, but maybe not in yours.

Please help recommend a family car - Engineer Andy

A Dacia Jogger is specifically designed for people.in your situation. It doesn't have all the 'safety' gizmos that some have. A good thing in my view, but maybe not in yours.

TBH I don't understand why so many people get fret over a current day car that 'only' gets (say) a 2 or 3 star NCAP rating. 99% of the time, its because the car doesn't have those so-called safety gizmos that many find annoying and intrusive (as well as often unreliable) in everyday driving.

Before the latest round of NCAP changes, such cars would've 4 and 5 star ratings. I bet that a 4 and 5 star rated car from (say) 2010 would receive a 2 at best now, and everyone doesn't get het up about the safety of those vehicles.

The 'improvement' in safety with all the new gizmos is, I believe, marginal at best, and certainly not cost-effective, both to the consumer (through significantly increased list prices and, ironically, insurance premiums because of the extra expense to replace said parts in relatively minor accidents) and to society at large, for a multitude of reasons.

More often than not, applying the K.I.S.S. principle (as you advocated) is far better all-around.

Please help recommend a family car - badbusdriver

I'd also be looking at the Jogger. Your budget would get you into a brand new one and the warrant can be extended to 7 years. Seems the third row seats are genuinely usable too.

Only two sets of Isofix in total though.

Please help recommend a family car - Richie1986

Thanks have looked at the jogger. The main thing that put me off was the safety rating but I guess that is a bit controversial. I'm actually in favour of less complicated electronics when possible.. I recently drove a Chrysler with a button handbrake and it didn't feel right at all!

Any idea how reliable new joggers are? I think Dacia were known for reliability issues in the past but haven't heard about joggers.

Please help recommend a family car - badbusdriver

Thanks have looked at the jogger. The main thing that put me off was the safety rating but I guess that is a bit controversial. I'm actually in favour of less complicated electronics when possible.. I recently drove a Chrysler with a button handbrake and it didn't feel right at all!

Any idea how reliable new joggers are? I think Dacia were known for reliability issues in the past but haven't heard about joggers.

As has been said, the poor safety rating by most Dacia's is mainly to do with not having these "accident avoidance systems" (to make the cars cheaper). Down to you obviously, but it wouldn't put me off. As for reliability, Dacia is not the best by any stretch, not the worst either though. But as I said, that warranty can be extended to 7 years for peace of mind. Also, the Dacia range are all based on the same platform and shared running gear. So any reliability issues would affect them all rather than just the Jogger.

Also worth pointing out that Citroen's are not generally considered that reliable but you said your sister hasn't had any trouble with her C4 Picasso.

Please help recommend a family car - Perkinsp93

A Ford Transit custom would be a great choice!

Only downside is the wet belt but as long as the vehicle is serviced as per the manufacturers recommendations then if it was to fail, it should be covered under warranty. A good reason to lease or buy a New vehicle as it will be under manufacturers warranty.

Please help recommend a family car - Steve Matthew

Based on your requirements, the VW Touran and Toyota Prius+ are solid choices known for reliability and practicality. Both offer ample space for car seats and storage, with the added benefit of Toyota's renowned reliability.