LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - John F

After a year of fewer than 6,000 trouble and penalty free miles in our now 4yr old Peugeot 2008, the renewal premium has gone up from £309 to £486!!!!! Looks as though it's meerkat comparison time.

LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - Xileno

I think it's quite widespread, not just LV. Definitely need to go on to the comparison sites, tedious though it is.

LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - Andrew-T

I suspect the reason may be quite simple - they are starting to get a more accurate idea of the costs of writing off EVs ? After all, premiums are based on actuarial statistics - or should be !

LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - leaseman

The whole Insurance Industry is, without a doubt, the embodiment of the Arthur Daley of the 21st Century. Whether Motor, Household or Travel etc.

I think they use Alien Intelligence (A.I.) to run their operations

LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - Steveieb

I’m with LV too John and get discount through Boundless membership but their renewal charges have gone through the roof. Likewise their offshoot Flow which is underwritten by LV but is available on line with minimum contact .

This year they have even overtaken NFU in the annual Which survey so they obviously have a very good product and customer service but I’d like to know where to find the customers in their advert that pay less than£200 a year.

My quandary is finding a reasonable insurance to cover two cars valued under £4000 each so suspect will be written off even when they are involved in even a minor shunt. However one is a E320 CDI. Which has a high catagory. I’d like to cover the windscreen as it costs £600 to replace so it’s got to be Comprehensive.

LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - Adampr

I'm with Flow. They're rebranding as Allianz (LV's ultimate owner).

LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - gordonbennet

2 of our 3 renewals with DL had gone up appreciably, some 25/30%.

Did the MSE comparison site for both cars and after a phone call we've renewed with DL with a just a very slight increase.

GB could you tell me if you applied for your two cars separately with DL or do they combine the policies ?

Im interested in their Essentails cover which is one above third party. They also gained a recommended provider in Which.

LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - gordonbennet

GB could you tell me if you applied for your two cars separately with DL or do they combine the policies ?

Im interested in their Essentails cover which is one above third party. They also gained a recommended provider in Which.

All seperate though maybe some multiple car discount applies, we also have home insurance with them.

Its 3 cars actually, the old MB's renewal went down by £10...i didn't call to negotiate that one :-)

LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - Terry W

My quandary is finding a reasonable insurance to cover two cars valued under £4000 each so suspect will be written off even when they are involved in even a minor shunt. However one is a E320 CDI. Which has a high catagory. I’d like to cover the windscreen as it costs £600 to replace so it’s got to be Comprehensive.

They are covering the costs of meeting claims from any cars you happen to hit (hopefully unlikely!!) which could cost them £+++ with car hire and personal injury - not the £4k limit in respect of the ones you own.

In 50 years of driving I have never had to replace a windscreen - it is a personal decision whether the additional premium to cover this risk is worthwhile - if this was my only concern I would not bother unless very cheap.

LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - Ethan Edwards

Just wanted to mention that my experience with LV has been totally positive. They gave me a price 40 quid LESS than my insurer ( of 9 years) quoted for renewal. And I drive electric, since 21.

LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - Falkirk Bairn

You have not been singled out by LV for a price rise

My premium last August went up from roughly £200 to £275.

8 days later I changed my 62 reg CRV for a 23 Reg CRV - premium rose another £75 + and a £10 admin charge.

LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - RichardW

Have dumped LV for both house and car insurance in last 3 months - house went from over £500 (which I already thought dear) to over £900 and the car insurance (a combined policy) went from £500 to £780. House now insured for under £500 and both cars for under £500 (and I should be getting £90 cash back).

LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - De Sisti

Have dumped LV for both house and car insurance in last 3 months - house went from over £500 (which I already thought dear) to over £900 and the car insurance (a combined policy) went from £500 to £780. House now insured for under £500 and both cars for under £500 (and I should be getting £90 cash back).

Which company did you insure with?

LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - expat

After a year of fewer than 6,000 trouble and penalty free miles in our now 4yr old Peugeot 2008, the renewal premium has gone up from £309 to £486!!!!! Looks as though it's meerkat comparison time.

If you are doing an internet comparison you may find that when you go back to the best quote it has suddenly risen. The companies know that you are coming back so they jack up the price. The way round that is either to use a computer at the library for the first quotes or to boot off a live USB stick.

The other problem is that the cheapest company may not be the best if you have to make a claim.

LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - rory

We used to be insured by LV for both car & house. Car went up by a huge amount and got a really good deal elsewhere.

Time came to re-insure house & contents with them which went up by 70% (!) and interestingly, before the renewal came through, got a generic message stating how everything had gone up and how they were great & doing the best for customers in difficult times etc etc etc.

When renewal arrived & I rang, the pre-recorded bit before you get finally get through, suggested renewal prices were not negotiable, which indeed turned out to be the case.

Needless to say......

LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - Icey

I've been with LV for car insurance for a few years and recently renewed with them.

When the renewal price came through I was initially shocked , thought no way, and went online to get a better price. Multiple comparison sites later, as well as those not on comparison sites and no-one else could get near LV's price.

Called LV, told them they were competitive, but asked if they could improve the quote at all. They then managed to take off £50, so well worth the phone call.

LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - alan1302

The way round that is either to use a computer at the library for the first quotes or to boot off a live USB stick.

Be easier just to use Ingognito mode/Private mode in your browser

LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - FoxyJukebox
If you can take the risk-why not jack up the excess ?.
I do £400 now on the basis that if any minor damage-I’d pay for it myself and if anyone claims against me, the maximum I’d have to pay is the excess.
I might even go to £500 next

I already take the first £600 excess - in 60 years driving I have never claimed on my policy except when a 3rd party hit me. My fault small sc***es on low walls etc were cheaper than excess.

Last month my car was vandalised - £800 to sort it out - dented tailgate was the main damage. I paid out for the repair. £400 labour, £270 parts/paint and VAT on top.

I am at the age when insurers do not want older drivers so I am gambling - If I had claimed I would get £200 back but I think they would jack up the renewal by more due to a claim.

Being an older driver like you FB I was told that I could save money leaving my daughter as a named driver even with her business use. They definitely don’t like older drivers which most of the Boundless group are !

One more question FB .

Can you explain the term excess. I understand that this is deducted from any claim for damage to your own car but what happens if you damage someone else’s car or property. Do the company take the excess in that case too ?

LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - RT

One more question FB .

Can you explain the term excess. I understand that this is deducted from any claim for damage to your own car but what happens if you damage someone else’s car or property. Do the company take the excess in that case too ?

The excess is only on own damage - it would be illegal to impose an excess on third party claims.

This LV customer turned detective to get a better deal

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-10429981/LV-customer-gets-450-renewal-quote-finds-policy-310.html?ito=email_share_article-top

LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - John F

Being an older driver like you FB I was told that I could save money leaving my daughter as a named driver even with her business use. They definitely don’t like older drivers which most of the Boundless group are !

Interesting. A couple of years ago my son and his wife (live in California, both aged late 30s) put my septuagenarian name on their insurance so I could drive their cars .....his premium was actually reduced. Clearly old Americans are regarded as steadying influence!

I have a grandson, just under 16 and a learner in Texas.

His M&D's cars are newish V8s so they bought a 2litre Tiguan.

Some $3k+ for insurance for the 2 cars + mileage charge over 6,000 miles.

Tiguan is only $35 / month extra - unbelievable.

LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - Xileno

I used to be with LV for both car and house until about three years ago when they started to increase my premiums too much. Maybe they were looking to build market share at the time.

I tend to go with quite large excesses as well, a small bit of self-insuring. About 15 years ago when I reverse into a wall and scr aped the edge of the bumper I would never have considered using the insurance for that, it was only about £200 to have the bumper sprayed. I'm sure the wall wasn't there when I started reversing ;-)

My house insurance renewal has just arrive, gone up from £80 to £120. Another tedious hour or so on the comparison sites tomorrow.

Edited by Xileno on 24/02/2024 at 19:24

It’s really strange that this is happening at a time when LV are bombarding us in TV adverts and on commercial radio of how cheap their home and car insurance is .

Maybe they have remodelled their criteria to shake off elderly drivers ?

LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - Andrew-T

I used to be with LV for both car and house until about three years ago when they started to increase my premiums too much. Maybe they were looking to build market share at the time.

Funny way to do it - I suppose it depends what you call 'market share', total take, or number of policyholders ?

Being a member of Boundless formally the Civil Service Motoring Organisation, we have just learned that the benefits have been increased to reward members who insure both Home and vehicles with LV with 15% discount .

LV= .... - trying to lose motor insurance customers? - davecooper

Last year's premium with Direct Line was £350. This year's renewal, £550! I make that a 63% rise. Out of interest, I applied as a new customer and the quote was £770.

LV and Aviva both quoted £380 and Halifax, who are my bank quoted £370 so I have insured with them. Cannot understand the huge rise with DL.