ALL - LED HEADLIGHTS & NIGHT DRIVING - ROGER FURNEAUX

The recent;y announced crack-down on eyesight testing, especially among the elderly (and I count myself as one!) has more than likely been made as a result of the modern trend to fit LED headlights to new cars, and also to retro-fit old ones. Virtually everybody I know, old and young, complains about the dazzle from them. The regulations were written so long ago that LEDs had not reached the brilliance they now have. They might very well obey the regns. as regards the number of Lumens emitted, but they still dazzle, and no doubt accidents have been caused (but of course nothing can be proved...)

And don't get me started on the number of cars, vans, lorries and even buses, with one dead headlight! Being "old school" I always flashed my headlights when a car approached at night with no lights on, and now I increasingly do so to cars with only one. And they are often LED - so much for their vaunted longevity!

ALL - LED HEADLIGHTS & NIGHT DRIVING - skidpan

I always flashed my headlights when a car approached at night with no lights on, and now I increasingly do so to cars with only one.

And what happens when YOU dazzle the oncoming driver , they crash into YOU.

Very clever.

ALL - LED HEADLIGHTS & NIGHT DRIVING - ROGER FURNEAUX

Fair point, but I don't flash others on the rare occasion I have to drive at night ' I am too busy concentrating on avoiding the kerb (or here in Devon, bank/hedge), having already been dazzled by the oncoming vehicle. During the day, on an 8 mile drive to our nearest town, I often encounter 5 or more "one-lampers". What is worrying is that many are commercial vans, which obviously were not given a check-over before setting out. And yes, one double-decker bus, with offside headlamp dead!

ALL - LED HEADLIGHTS & NIGHT DRIVING - RT

The recent;y announced crack-down on eyesight testing, especially among the elderly (and I count myself as one!) has more than likely been made as a result of the modern trend to fit LED headlights to new cars, and also to retro-fit old ones. Virtually everybody I know, old and young, complains about the dazzle from them. The regulations were written so long ago that LEDs had not reached the brilliance they now have. They might very well obey the regns. as regards the number of Lumens emitted, but they still dazzle, and no doubt accidents have been caused (but of course nothing can be proved...)

And don't get me started on the number of cars, vans, lorries and even buses, with one dead headlight! Being "old school" I always flashed my headlights when a car approached at night with no lights on, and now I increasingly do so to cars with only one. And they are often LED - so much for their vaunted longevity!

We don't know each other but I don't complain about dazzle because I don't get it - at least not since I had my cataracts done.

On the subject of outdated regulations, the DVLA/DVSA standard for eyesight is too low and needs to be increased - as well as mandatory regular sight testing for drivers of ALL AGES.

ALL - LED HEADLIGHTS & NIGHT DRIVING - Palcouk

I had a private Cataract op as the NHS cocked up my apointments. My night eyesite is now about 50% better, so I still avoid driving at night, in areas of no streetlights.

ALL - LED HEADLIGHTS & NIGHT DRIVING - Andrew-T

On this general topic, I have been a driver for about 60 years, and it's a long time since I have felt that the lamps on my car were too dim and I wanted brighter ones. But I am sure our esteemed providers have gone unnecessarily far in their Star Wars of ever-brighter headlamps. I am also sure that it has been done in the name of H&S, to make moving cars more conspicuous in broad daylight, without any attempt to reduce output in darker conditions. I don't believe that would be rocket science, but it has lately become just a game for stylists.

ALL - LED HEADLIGHTS & NIGHT DRIVING - paul 1963

I don't get dazzled but I do agree some headlights are amazingly bright, what does annoy me though is the tiny rear indicators some cars are fitted with.

ALL - LED HEADLIGHTS & NIGHT DRIVING - Will deBeast

Being "old school" I always flashed my headlights

I hate it when people flash their lights at me to say 'thank you'. It wrecks my night vision for a few seconds.

ALL - LED HEADLIGHTS & NIGHT DRIVING - Brit_in_Germany

Incandescent headlights used to have a particular wattage requirement in the vehicle lighting regulations. I believe that has been removed but has it been replaced by a requirement for the beam intensity or can manufacturers choose how bright the lights should be?

ALL - LED HEADLIGHTS & NIGHT DRIVING - skidpan

Many years ago 7.5" tungsten sealed beam units were used in pretty much every car and they were not great. Some were 45 watt, some were 60 watt, little difference.

Remember upgrading to a pair of 7.5" H4 halogen Cibie lights (still 60 watt) and they were way better. Transfered them to subsequent cars for years, one size fits all.

Caterham came with tungsten sealed beam units in 1992 and it was a shock, changed to H4 halogens and what a difference.

Fabia has halogen projectors and they are tat, possibly the worst lights since the 70's.

ALL - LED HEADLIGHTS & NIGHT DRIVING - Ethan Edwards

Fabia has halogen projectors and they are tat, possibly the worst lights since the 70's.

Think they're bad? Try a Fiat500e halogen lights. So bad they could be designed by Stevie Wonder.

ALL - LED HEADLIGHTS & NIGHT DRIVING - RT

Incandescent headlights used to have a particular wattage requirement in the vehicle lighting regulations. I believe that has been removed but has it been replaced by a requirement for the beam intensity or can manufacturers choose how bright the lights should be?

55w was the limit for incandescant bulbs and only belatedly changed to alumen limit long after HID and LED headlights became common.