Audi e-tron - Audi E Tron time to change? - NAthan smith
Hi
Always been a diesel fan but thinking next car might make the plunge and opt for an E tron. Had a Quick Look can’t believe how cheap these are £21k for a 2020 plus car with reasonable miles. However does anyone have experience/advice on these? What to look out for? I know the 3 yr warranty will be up (same on all cars) although I have read you get an 8yr or 100k battery warranty? Is this subject to Audi dealer history etc? Any advice would be welcome?
Audi e-tron - Audi E Tron time to change? - Orb>>

I have read you get an 8yr or 100k battery warranty? Is this subject to Audi dealer history etc? Any advice would be welcome?

If you are buying from an Audi franchise dealer you should get a 12 month warranty with it.???

Maybe Audi maybe not. I want to find out if the 8 yr battery warranty is subject to a full Audi history as I’m sure that’s one way they can wriggle out of any responsibility!
Audi e-tron - Audi E Tron time to change? - mcb100
What sort of mileage are you doing?

Lots of short ones, or a weekly long trip?

I ask as an EV enthusiast, but the Audi range are not renowned for their efficiency, which translates into range.
Short journey to work 15 miles round trip. Weekend ferrying kids around and the odd long trip
Here’s the relevant page from Audi UK’s website.

www.audi.co.uk/uk/web/en/electric/faqs/battery.html

You’d hope that if it’s a main dealer car they’d have plugged it in to check for any degradation.
Audi e-tron - Audi E Tron time to change? - Steveieb

A family member tried one on a month by month trial luckily.

Lovely car but on their first long journey from the North Midlands down to South Devon it showed its true colours .

Stopping at tge services in Gloucester for a charge they were told that the point was on the Northbound only.

They limped to Bristol services and with the heater off made it with 10 miles to spare .

The car was returned at the end of the month and they opted for a VW Hybrid which were in short supply but plenty of ID4 and ID5 .

Audi e-tron - Audi E Tron time to change? - Xileno

Loads of apps to show where charging points are

tinyurl.com/2fyky5yu

They’re currently rolling out 12 150kW rapid chargers both northbound and southbound at Gloucester Services.
Audi e-tron - Audi E Tron time to change? - Adampr

I know a couple of people at work with them. Initial teething troubles on one, but now all sorted and no issues since. As MCB said, the full size e-tron is apparently not very efficient.

Audi e-tron - Audi E Tron time to change? - Ethan Edwards

So apparently the 2020 etron has a huge 95kwh battery but only manages about 200m. 433w per mile or 2.3m per kwh. Not efficient at all.

My Mokka-e I've managed as much as 4.9m per kwh but easily 3.8 to 4.2 presumably the latest etron is a whole lot better.

Audi e-tron - Audi E Tron time to change? - badbusdriver

So apparently the 2020 etron has a huge 95kwh battery but only manages about 200m. 433w per mile or 2.3m per kwh. Not efficient at all.

My Mokka-e I've managed as much as 4.9m per kwh but easily 3.8 to 4.2 presumably the latest etron is a whole lot better.

While the e-tron is available with a 95kWh battery, all but 3 (and one of those is a 2019 car) of the 62 available on Autotrader (up to £22.5k) have the 71.2kWh battery.

Audi e-tron - Audi E Tron time to change? - RT

You're comparing apples and pears - the Audi E-tron is a much bigger heavier car with higher performance than a Mokka-e so it's energy consumption is bound to be much higher - in the same way that an Audi Q7 3.0 will have inferior fuel consumption to a Mokka 1.0.

Thanks all for the advice - I guess it’s just about the warranty realy now which I will try and find out as my biggest fear is issues with the battery and having to replace it.

the Audi E-tron is a much bigger heavier car with higher performance than a Mokka-e so it's energy consumption is bound to be much higher

Up to a point maybe, but the Audi is quite a bit less efficient than the vastly more powerful, slightly bigger (but a little lighter, circa 12%) Tesla Model S Performance of about the same age.

It manages 297w per mile which, (if i've understood the conversion correctly) translates as 3.37 miles per kWh.

Audi e-tron - Audi E Tron time to change? - DavidGlos
Not sure if we’re allowed to mention other forums on here, so please remove this mods if it contravenes the rules, but there’s a very long thread here, which you might find interesting:

www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=2042333

‘as my biggest fear is issues with the battery and having to replace it.’

Based on all available evidence (and there’s a lot of it), it’s a four word answer - you won’t need to.
Only 1.5% of EV’s are showing to have required a non-warranty battery swap. And most of those were early LEAF and Tesla Model S.
‘as my biggest fear is issues with the battery and having to replace it.’ Based on all available evidence (and there’s a lot of it), it’s a four word answer - you won’t need to. Only 1.5% of EV’s are showing to have required a non-warranty battery swap. And most of those were early LEAF and Tesla Model S.

That seems quite a high % - relatively.

‘That seems quite a high % - relatively.’

Almost certainly skewed by the earlier technology in those cars leading to a higher percentage of battery swaps.
‘That seems quite a high % - relatively.’ Almost certainly skewed by the earlier technology in those cars leading to a higher percentage of battery swaps.

Just out of interest anyone know the percentage of Fossil fuel Audis that have premature engine failures? Willing to bet its not zero.

‘That seems quite a high % - relatively.’ Almost certainly skewed by the earlier technology in those cars leading to a higher percentage of battery swaps.

Just out of interest anyone know the percentage of Fossil fuel Audis that have premature engine failures? Willing to bet its not zero.

I don't know the figures - but the V6/V8 Audi engines have a good reputation and are shared with other brands in the VW Group, ie VW itself, Porsche and Bentley.

I don't know the figures - but the V6/V8 Audi engines have a good reputation and are shared with other brands in the VW Group, ie VW itself, Porsche and Bentley.

Compared to what?. Not hard to find a list of "typical" Audi V8 engine problems if searching and it is also not too hard to find owners having experienced failure on Audi V6 engines. Whether that makes them more or less reliable than other engines of a similar size and power is neither here nor there, the point is whether or not more than 1.5% of Audi V8 or V6 engines have experienced failures. Because if 1.5% of EV owners (mainly early Leaf's) having to replace batteries is too much, surely the same would be the case on the ICE?

Audi e-tron - Audi E Tron time to change? - madf

Very unreliable engines...

Bottom 10 manufacturers – least reliable engines

ManufacturerFailure Rate

1MG Rover1 in 13

2Audi 1 in 27

3MINI 1 in 40

www.google.com/search?q=audi+car+engine+failure+ra...8

Edited by madf on 26/02/2024 at 10:39

Audi e-tron - Audi E Tron time to change? - pd

Slightly off topic but the later Audi V6 and V8 engines with timing chains rather than cambelts haven't a great reputation.

In fact timing chains are a common issue on engine in the few years. BMW Nx7, PSA/BMW Prince, various VAG, JLR Ingenium, etc.

Arguably a timing chain is cheaper than a battery but it's remarkable bearing in mind ICE is at the end of its development life how many still give issues.

Edited by pd on 26/02/2024 at 11:23

Audi ICE engine issues 1 in 27 or 3.7% seems rather high....makes the old Nissan Leaf 1.5% look pretty decent.

Audi e-tron - Audi E Tron time to change? - daveyjp

Deciding factor for me is how often you do longer trips.

I'd want to be able to do my typical round day trip of 150-250 miles without the need to think about recharging. Friend with a Taycan gets 170 max, great for his daily trips, no good for longer runs whuch is why he still has his Range Rover.

Audi e-tron - Audi E Tron time to change? - corax
Arguably a timing chain is cheaper than a battery but it's remarkable bearing in mind ICE is at the end of its development life how many still give issues.

Some of that will be down to environmental pressures, also cost constraints. Using plastic where metal would be more durable. The complication of the EGR valve on the MK5 Ford Mondeo diesels has to be seen to be believed. Some issues seen to have been ignored when the engineers must have been aware of them before they developed the engines. Inlet valves sooting up from petrol direct injection for example.

I'd want to be able to do my typical round day trip of 150-250 miles without the need to think about recharging. Friend with a Taycan gets 170 max, great for his daily trips, no good for longer runs whuch is why he still has his Range Rover.

Problem with using a Porsche as an example is that it is a Porsche(!), and most drivers feel obliged to drive it as such rather than as an EV in which which they are trying to maximise the range.

Searching online, it is not hard to find folk who say they can get well over 200 miles out of the smaller 79.2kWh battery version (one owner from Chicago area says 240 miles in summer temps using a/c).

It is a slippery shape (apart from the massive steam roller tyres) so should be able to cleave the air very efficiently at main road speeds

Audi e-tron - Audi E Tron time to change? - brambobb

Our son purchased a new Q4 E-Tron last May and it has covered about 4000 miles since then.

When using it in early January a message came up on the display stating that there was a fault and telling him to return it to an Audi dealership at once. When he took it in he was told that there could be a delay of up to 4 weeks before he would get it back as it was assumed that there was a fault with the battery. No offer of a replacement car was initially forthcoming so he had to force the dealership's hand before they would consider providing him with another vehicle while the fault was being rectified. The car provided was from a hire company and turned out to be a basic model 4 year old VW Golf.

In spite of regular follow ups there is still no indication that the car is about to be returned even though over 6 weeks has now elapsed.

Patience is wearing thin and he is disgusted at Audi's poor customer care.

Edited by brambobb on 26/02/2024 at 19:43