any - Cheerio Autoaid - gordonbennet

Autoaid renewal arrived today. New charges applying.

Spouse cover £10. 16year+ vehicle premium £21.90. In the event of a breakdown pay the recovery agent £25 at the time....so what's the point of the 16year+ premium?

Total premium for this year they want £95.54.

Looking through the terms and conditions it reads to me that its no longer a recover you home policy, but to a local repair agent, unless the repair shop is closed or the vehicle cannot be repaired same day in which case they will take you home or to destination if closer.

So, after many years of continuous membership, without ever using the service at all i've cancelled renewal.

any - Cheerio Autoaid - Steveieb

Be interested what you think of Start Rescue GB.

Always been impressed with their staff and service and a Which Best Buy .

Always apply via Money supermarket for a discount !

I looked at Start Rescue, Steveieb, and will indeed utilise the discount if we decide to go with them, thanks for the tip.

Have nearly a month to decide who to go with.

any - Cheerio Autoaid - Gibbo_Wirral

Be interested what you think of Start Rescue GB.

Always been impressed with their staff and service and a Which Best Buy .

Always apply via Money supermarket for a discount !

been with them several years now. Always been impressed by the service

been with them several years now. Always been impressed by the service

Another endorsement, thankyou.

any - Cheerio Autoaid - Dave N
Why don’t you just self insure? You take care of your vehicles, and have never used them, so you’re just payiing them for nothing. Like any insurance its a gamble, and the odds are heavily in their favour.
any - Cheerio Autoaid - daveyjp

Looks like Autoaid have changed their pricing recently. I renewed just before Christmas and it was about £65 for the any vehicle and spouse cover.

Looks like Autoaid have changed their pricing recently. I renewed just before Christmas and it was about £65 for the any vehicle and spouse cover.

Paying the breakdown company in the event for older cars was the case at last renewal, its charging for old cars in the premium as well plus a tenner for spouse are new wheezes.

If you have cars under 10 years old Autoaid is still good value, though i'm sure at one time they would recover you home if that was your first choice, now its to presumably the breakdown operator's choice of local workshops, with all that entails, that solution isn't necessarily suitable for my own circs or others who work on their own vehicles or those who prefer to use their own trusted workshops.

Why don’t you just self insure? You take care of your vehicles, and have never used them, so you’re just payiing them for nothing. Like any insurance its a gamble, and the odds are heavily in their favour.

Good shout Dave N, definately don't need home start, and could keep a list of phone numbers of the more obvious recovery agents on our regular journeys in the cars, which all have full size spare wheels with good necessary tools for changing, i can manage fine in that event its only SWMBO who might need help with the Landcruiser, wheels are off regularly so no danger of them being stuck on, you might well have it there.

Miffed at the double charging for older cars more than anything, pay for older cars in the premium and again to the breakdown operator if needed, not playing their one size fits all game.

any - Cheerio Autoaid - bathtub tom

Have you looked at MSE, there's a comparison on there. I've currently got insurance based recovery, whereby I (or the insurer) gets a recovery service to take me home. I pay (we all have credit cards, don't we?) and claim it back. Only ever had to use it once around twelve years ago, when I managed to break the diff! It worked fine.

It's a fraction of the prices being bandied around here.

Have you looked at MSE, there's a comparison on there. I've currently got insurance based recovery, whereby I (or the insurer) gets a recovery service to take me home. I pay (we all have credit cards, don't we?) and claim it back. Only ever had to use it once around twelve years ago, when I managed to break the diff! It worked fine.

It's a fraction of the prices being bandied around here.

Thats exactly how Autoaid was before they were taken over (or sold out), perfect for us and because its a claim back system it encourages people to mitigate potential costs and would discourage the inevitable mickey takers...everyone not a mickey taker wins.

I wrote to Autoaid when they notified us of changing from a claim back service pointing these things out, never got the courtesy of a reply.

What company is that please BT?, i looked at MSE but didn't find what you now have.

any - Cheerio Autoaid - bathtub tom

What company is that please BT?, i looked at MSE but didn't find what you now have.

Rescuemycar.com

Apparently, we both get a £5 gift card if we jump through the appropriate hoops.

Rescuemycar.com

Apparently, we both get a £5 gift card if we jump through the appropriate hoops.

Quote comes in at £94 odd for two cars, self insuring is starting to look an attractive option.

any - Cheerio Autoaid - catsdad

My son has a Nationwide Flexplus account which I think costs £13 a month. For that he gets AA breakdown, travel and mobile phone insurance. I have only skimmed the AA cover online but it looks reasonable. How good the travel cover is I don’t know. It might be worth considering though if the overall package suits. Personally I don’t want another bank account so haven't signed up.

I am with Start for our cars. Never had to use it but they benchmark well on price..

Another alternative is to carry the AA non-member call out number and pay up on the day if they still offer that. No doubt costly per occasion but as others have said, how often do you need them.

I am with Start for our cars. Never had to use it but they benchmark well on price..

Another alternative is to carry the AA non-member call out number and pay up on the day if they still offer that. No doubt costly per occasion but as others have said, how often do you need them.

No i wouldn't want to change bank account just for breakdown cover, though will have a peruse on Halifax site see if they offer such a thing.

Hadn't heard of the AA non member pay at the time solution, that's worth looking at too, much obliged.

any - Cheerio Autoaid - galileo

No i wouldn't want to change bank account just for breakdown cover, though will have a peruse on Halifax site see if they offer such a thing.

Hadn't heard of the AA non member pay at the time solution, that's worth looking at too, much obliged.

Years ago had AA cover, called them out for a split radiator hose, after an hour's wait they turned up and wrapped the hose with insulating tape. (I had some in the boot but correctly assumed this wasn't a satisfactory fix) .

Managed to buy a hose at a garage a mile away, sacked AA and tried RAC, whose response was OK but entailed 2 hours wait.

I then used Britannia rescue for many years, never had to wait more than 30 minutes, always very helpful, recovery home if needed on one truck (not the AA's relay system).

Last year price went up and changed to Start Rescue, same cover, much lower cost.

any - Cheerio Autoaid - Random

I have Start Rescue and only needed to use them once so far. The service was brilliant, no complaints at all.

I have Start Rescue and only needed to use them once so far. The service was brilliant, no complaints at all.

Thanks Random, proof in the eating of puddings etc.

To be fair Autoaid have favourable reports/reviews, its only the 2 charges for older vehicles thats annoyed me, the £10 spousal charge i could live with...if only our spouses cost us £10 a year eh! and no SWMBO doesn't read this :-)

I then used Britannia rescue for many years, never had to wait more than 30 minutes, always very helpful, recovery home if needed on one truck (not the AA's relay system).

Last year price went up and changed to Start Rescue, same cover, much lower cost.

I looked at Start Rescue, but for two cars, without home start, it worked out something like £118 after MSE's introductory discount, though there doesn't appear to be any top up charges for ye olde bangers like wot is all this poor broke old geezer can afford.

Insulation tape fix from an AA patrol? ye gods you didn't mistakenly call the other AA perchance :-), you'd think they'd at least carry some gaffer tape and a bag of lorry driver's friend (ie big tough cable ties)

any - Cheerio Autoaid - edlithgow

I hadn't either, but as a non-member with an AA badge on the car, I did once get helped by a passing patrolman. He asked if I was a member and I said no, but I suppose it would have been awkward for him to just drive away.

Didn't vitally need the help but his torch was in better fettle than mine was.

Think I gave him a fiver, but it was quite a long time ago.

Edited by edlithgow on 26/02/2024 at 23:21

GB I am local to you and used Start for the first time to transport my MB to Albert’s in Rushden.

The instructions were carried out to the T . Flatbed lorry , collect the keys from reception at the Clubhouse and unload in a confined space. Perfect !

Unlike my work colleague who smashed his MB into another car at a busy junction, blocking the road. Both him and his wife tried on their phones to get the AA with no luck.

The police recommended a local recovery firm who came immediately but presented a bill of £450 which I’m pleased to say Saga insurance paid without a quibble.

To me it’s the quality of the call handling staff that makes Start stand out and their APP like others allows you to pinpoint the breakdown and when help is at hand .

Another friend had the cam belt go on his VW . He was told to not drive it and the recovery to the garage of choice took under an hour . If he had tried to start it the engine would have blown.

one last example , a breakdown which required recovery from Oxford to Northampton . The breakdown driver realising one of the passengers had mobility problems immediately arranged a taxi specially to transport one person home rather than struggling to get her into the recovery truck.

Much obliged Stevieb, thats some good recommends.

To be fair most issues are not down to the recovery drivers themselves, its a job that requires increasing nous as the recovered vehicle weight and accident/breakdown complications increase...the chaps who have recovered our artics when required are seriously competent, they earn excellent money but when you see the conditions they have to work in they deserve every penny.

any - Cheerio Autoaid - Orb>>

Another one for Start Rescue

A good while back when the Venga would not start, car collected, taken to Kia dealer and driver said don't call a taxi, I'll drop you off, 3 mile dteour for him.

My renewal with Start last April was £75. Thats for 3 star cover for two cars, including home. The higher quote that GB cites perhaps was for personal and/or 4/5 star. I find 3 star covers enough for me. It’s one of the things I like that you can tailor the cover to your needs.

My renewal with Start last April was £75. Thats for 3 star cover for two cars, including home. The higher quote that GB cites perhaps was for personal and/or 4/5 star. I find 3 star covers enough for me. It’s one of the things I like that you can tailor the cover to your needs.

Don't know what i'm doing wrong here, have gone via MSE for their 17% discount offer.

there's 3 levels of cover, i've gone for the middle, 2* band, which includes national recovery but not home start, two cars, premium incl introductory discount £101.

Maybe the cars being older has some effect.

Whilst its technically £7 more expensive than Autoaid there's no excess payable for older cars (haven't gone through the small print) so it's a likely contender.

GB yes the age does make a difference. I’ve just run my 2018 car through their quote versus the reg on my old 2012 one and it’s getting on for twenty quid extra at each level of cover. Also the newer car is eligible for 4&5 star which didn’t appear on the older car.

GB yes the age does make a difference. I’ve just run my 2018 car through their quote versus the reg on my old 2012 one and it’s getting on for twenty quid extra at each level of cover. Also the newer car is eligible for 4&5 star which didn’t appear on the older car.

Ah, glad it wasn't just me being unable to work a website, too often the case.

any - Cheerio Autoaid - Big John

You don't have to change banks, just open a Flexplus account with the Nationwide and put enough funds in to cover the £13/month fee. I find it a bargain as it covers European wide breakdown (no age limit) , worlwide travel insurance and mobile phone cover. If you use your debit card abroad for purchases or getting cash out there are no charges or exchange rate "floats" - just make sure you pay for things specifying the local currency. If it's a joint account it covers both of you for the single fee and if you have younger members of the family it covers their mobile phones as well - we've called on that a few times! We just use as our "leisure" account.

PS the breakdown covers one car each if joint and personal breakdown cover for both of you.

Edited by Big John on 27/02/2024 at 13:32

You don't have to change banks, just open a Flexplus account with the Nationwide and put enough funds in to cover the £13/month fee

Thanks Big John.

Following your post i nipped onto Halifax site, whom we already have accounts with.

If we opt for Ultimate Reward account, it would cost us £17 a month, but so long as we qualify financially every month (we do) they put £5 in our account, so for £12 a month we both get AA breakdown cover because joint account, mobile phone cover and travel insurance.

That's another one to consider then.

Many thanks to you all for your help here folks.

As John says the Flexaccount deal is unbeatable because they don’t need to sustain the shareholder payouts.

But the basic fee is just the starting point if you are under 70 and don’t have any medical issues. It’s an extra £70 if you are over 70 .

These can rack up into hundreds of pounds on top of the monthly fee if you have medical issues as most of us do , and cruise cover is an extra charge too. These days it doesn’t make sense not to declare all your medical issues including recent undiagnosed visits to the GP.

any - Cheerio Autoaid - Big John

But the basic fee is just the starting point if you are under 70 and don’t have any medical issues. It’s an extra £70 if you are over 70 .

These can rack up into hundreds of pounds on top of the monthly fee if you have medical issues as most of us do , and cruise cover is an extra charge too. These days it doesn’t make sense not to declare all your medical issues including recent undiagnosed visits to the GP.

Agreed but in reality when we've declared everything inc high blood pressure pills for both of us and previous cancer treatment a few years ago we were not charged anything extra! Actually we latched onto the Flexplus after years of painful travel insurance costs because of previous cancer and suddenly found as long as treatment was over a year ago then not an issue - the breakdown cover etc was a bonus.

Edited by Big John on 27/02/2024 at 16:22

any - Cheerio Autoaid - KB.

Oh dear.

I will have said more than once that I've been with AutoAid since 1984 and claimed twice in all that time.

I've never found Start to be cheaper than AutoAid ... in fact I've never found anyone to be. But things change (as they seem to be doing here). I still have the Yeti and the little i10 - both 13 yrs old and I still cover myself and the Mrs for driving them both - hence the price rise will affect me a good bit. I'll have another look round whilst watching the progress of this particular thread in the hope there's a PLAN B.

EDIT.

I just checked their site online and, unless I'm wrong, Personal Cover covers me in both cars PLUS an extra tenner to cover my Mrs in both cars so the only kick in the nuts is, because the two cars are both 13 yrs old, I would have to pay them £25 per callout. Have I got that right?

I didn't see an obvious reference to them not bringing the car home after a breakdown but I guess it's in the small print. Would they bring it to my local indie though? he's in my town, about half a mile from my home address.

Edited by KB. on 27/02/2024 at 17:08

KB.

As i read it, for cars over 10 years old you pay £21.90 extra for having older car, and £25 to the breakdown operator/driver directly should you require service....its the double whammy why i'm not renewing...i think the £21.90 older car charge applies to renewals and new policies from 1/3/24 according to the renewal notice as i read it, though happy to be put right if i'm wrong.

Regarding recovery, from the blurb, they take the vehicle and you to the nearest repair agent within 20 miles, IF the vehicle cannot be repaired same day, OR the repair shop is closed they'll take the vehicle and you home...dare say seeing how close your indy is that would be a given assuming you fit the other criteria.

My issue is that some emergency type workshops are renowned for pulling ones trousers down when the opportunity arises, being stuck at some MSA workshop on a freezing day ones trousers are ripe for debagging, probably like yourself i'll either be fixing it myself at home or have a trusted indy.

Edited by gordonbennet on 27/02/2024 at 18:33

All received, GB.

The bit about the £25 extra to pay on 10 yr old cars is repeated loads of times and pretty clear, but I can't see the bit about paying an extra £21.90 jumping out at me. I looked in the Terms and conditions but obviously missed it. Put me straight if you will.

KB.

Its all in my renewal notice but i've misled you somewhat, apologies, its not cars over 10 years paying the increased premium thats the £25 excess. The £21.90 premium top up is triggered because our daily cars are 16 and 19 years old, you being much more well heeled than i and having new cars haven't reached that stage yet :-)

Last years premium £63.64. This years premium £63.64. Spouse premium £10. 16 year+ premium £21.90. Total payable £95.54.

I wouldn't mind the £21.90, to be fair they don't know how well maintained they are, what i object to is the premium charge and then paying again should breakdown happen.

No doubt their statistics prove older cars to be more likely to need attending to, fair enoug, their playground their rules.

Edited by gordonbennet on 27/02/2024 at 19:22

Right you are, that's sorted that one out.

And, yes, can't deny the superior fiscal disposition as illustrated by the relative youth of our two carriages as distinct from your... shall we say ... more mature modes of transport..

Regarding Nationwide Flex Acct travel insurance - I just read that they are changing insurer to Aviva from May 2024 and the extra payment of £65 has been abolished.

Are you aware of the changes to the Flexplus account from Nationwide John.

They have transferred provider to Aviva wef 1May which has included several important changes mostly involving the annual fee for those who have medical conditions yet there is no charge for members over 70.

I understand that other banks use Aviva for their travel insurer on premium accounts.

But colleagues have reported big increases in fees to cover medical conditions . Sounds like AA will continue to cover the breakdown aspect.

I'd quite forgotten to update the thread.

Went with Start Rescue cover as from today, many thanks for the recommends and suggestions.