Best medium hatchback for under £8k - Bill54

So much has changed since my last post .

We have got rid of all our cars except for my wife's company car

We now have about £7500-8000 to spend on a small/medium hatchback for our daughter

We did originally look at SUVs but for the money they were all very high miles or poor condition

We liked the Leon, focus , i20 and i30 but she really want sub 70k miles

It will be a mix of motorway/local roads. less than 10k miles and she likes a bit of oomph ( she's an excellent driver )

The only issue with the focus was the seating position as she is petite so it will have to be an auto for that one which from what I understand means it would have to be a diesel due to dreaded powershift problems on the petrol models.

How they all fait against each other in terms of reliability, driving and of course cost of maintenance/ repairs

Cheers

Best medium hatchback for under £8k - badbusdriver

The only issue with the focus was the seating position as she is petite so it will have to be an auto for that one

Not sure i understand why her being petite means she has to have an auto? Also unsure whether it is only the Focus that has to be auto?

which from what I understand means it would have to be a diesel due to dreaded powershift problems on the petrol models.

The diesels also use the Powershift

Edited by badbusdriver on 26/02/2024 at 20:08

For what it is worth, given you are paying for it, I'd say you should be focussing less on what your daughter wants and more on what the best car available (fitting her needs) is for the budget.

However, if auto is not essential*, I'd be looking at the Suzuki Swift 1.0 Boosterjet (turbo). Punchy, fun to drive and reliable.

*You do get auto's, but not within your budget.

Sorry again for not making it clear. She is putting something towards it and paying me back over the next 18 Months so it will be her car.

I'll have a look at the Suzuki but she has a medium dog so would depend on the boot

The focus and even the i20 which has a lower section are big enough

Cheers

Sorry. When she got in the petrol focus and pushed her seat forward and up as far as it could go for some reason the position of the gearstick meant her wrist was twisted when changing gear. I went with her on the test drive and I wouldn't drive like that either

The Ford focus owners club said the power shift is only a problem on the petrol models, I don't know why but I understand it's something to do with dry and wet cluches

Cheers

Best medium hatchback for under £8k - elekie&a/c doctor
If you can increase your budget slightly, how about a Suzuki vitara? 1.6 petrol auto . No frills functional vehicle. I would avoid any power shift Ford model , petrol or diesel.

Like that idea..I think we need to go and look at one

The boot in the Swift is on the small size for a supermini, but there is also its slightly bigger sibling, the Baleno.

Alternatively, that budget should get you into a Skoda Fabia 1.0 TSI. As a hatchback, this has slightly more boot capacity than an i20. But there is also an estate if your daughter wanted the dog to lounge in palatial comfort and space(!). Two power outputs available (95 or 110bhp) and being turbo, both will be much punchier (as would the Baleno) in "normal" driving than the n/a 1.4 in the i20.

Best medium hatchback for under £8k - Adampr

My (tiny) wife has similar issues with certain cars having gear sticks too far back to be comfortable. Occasionally handbrakes too. It's because all cars are designed for the average man, so it's hard to find one that fits anyone very small or very big.

You could look at a Seat Toledo, Skoda Rapid or Skoda Rapid Spaceback (all the same car underneath). They are essentially a stretched Ibiza/Fabia and the boot is enormous. They're cheaper than most due to being horrendously unfashionable. I had the 110ps 1.2tsi and it was pretty quick.

Best medium hatchback for under £8k - Big John

My (tiny) wife has similar issues with certain cars having gear sticks too far back to be comfortable. Occasionally handbrakes too. It's because all cars are designed for the average man, so it's hard to find one that fits anyone very small or very big.

Yup I concur - being very big I struggle finding a car that really fits me. I had a Suzuki Swace recommended due to the Toyota hybrid running gear etc and I simply don't fit - head rubbing on the roof and B pillar too far forward. Funkily enough I whilst I was passing I looked at / sat in the Suzuki S-Cross and whilst I'm not an SUV fan initial impressions were good.

Edited by Big John on 27/02/2024 at 13:43

Best medium hatchback for under £8k - gordonbennet

Yup I concur - being very big I struggle finding a car that really fits me. I had a Suzuki Swace recommended due to the Toyota hybrid running gear etc and I simply don't fit - head rubbing on the roof and B pillar too far forward. Funkily enough I whilst I was passing I looked at / sat in the Suzuki S-Cross and whilst I'm not an SUV fan initial impressions were good.

Whilst i'm not a giant, though too much belly these days, i find too many modern cars hopeless for visibility and headroom really can be an issue, i dislike intently the semi reclined sat on the floor position just peering over the window ledges seemingly favoured by the yoof.

We're spoiled in that the Landcruiser you could host a party in with everyone stood up, and whilst out in the Forester today after not driving it for a month the all round visibility headroom and simple switchgear (that just works) are so refreshing compared to modern cars, my wife's not tall yet both of us can find an ideal position, i dislike the Octavia and Golf pool cars for all the above not to mention the hard seats and concrete springs, my bosses previous A3 i wouldn't give you a thankyou for, not one redeeming feature.

You've worried me a bit finding the Swace a tight fit (alreadly dislike long sloping screens leading to really thick A pillars the vision cross sections of which are far too wide), Corolla was a serious contender (assuming possible changes at work don't see me retiring this year), so an extended test drive will be taken following your comments whatever we decide, i found previous Avensis and Auris excellent considering how relatively low they both are but haven't had much to do with Corolla as i'd left car transporting by then.

Did you buy the s-cross ?

Did you buy the s-cross ?

No, although it's now a consideration. As well as good headroom the B pilar / door design was great for my taller/wider frame and I could even rest my elbow on the door armrest, also nothing on the door compromised my knee position ( a common issue for me - in the Panda my knee clouts the door grab handle, a pain literally).

I'm now trying potential future cars for size / comfort first ahead of other considerations although refinement & price is high on the list. I think it seems to be worse than when I last looked for a car in 2015 - I wonder if it's more crash protection intruding on interior space or the desire to have bucket seats in even basic cars. The trip to Suzuki woke me up a bit! Strangely I was in Mrs BJ's Panda today and that had more headroom compared to the Swace, although I don't like driving that far.

I usually try to buy a car for a reasonable price new/nearly new (end of model etc) and then keep for ten years.

Edited by Big John on 27/02/2024 at 21:13

Best medium hatchback for under £8k - Steveieb

Interestingly the Suzuki Ignis has been voted by Which to be the most reliable car, beating the latest Jazz and Aygo !

So they must be doing something right and an endorsement from Elekie doc elevates the Vitara to the gold standard!

Best medium hatchback for under £8k - Andrew-T

Might I add that while 70K is a worthwhile objective, how that 70K has been treated is equally, if not more, important, in terms of maintenance. A regularly looked-after car with 100K showing could be a better buy, and because of that be a newer model.

Best medium hatchback for under £8k - SLO76
Where roughly will you be looking? Is there a bit more money available for the right car?

It's tight at £8k so not really.

We are in south Cheshire but willing to travel for the right car

Thanks

Best medium hatchback for under £8k - SLO76
The Mazda 3 is a good thing to drive and with the 2.0 Skyactiv petrol they’re robust, nippy and decent on fuel. Cheap on tax if it’s pre 2017 too - as it will be at £8k or under. The manual box is a pleasure to use.

Terrible advert but good model and low miles - if the service record and Mot history corroborate it.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402136537110

Good call on the Vitara, but autos are rarer and much dearer. These are tough and practical things.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401225800949

Top money, but if it has a full service history (not mentioned in advert) and the Mot history backs up the mega low mileage then this could be solid gold. These have no inherent reliability concerns in petrol form.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202312144820184

Often forgotten about, but the Mitsubishi ASX is a worthy cheap family car. Tough as old boots, but some dealer only parts may become a problem later on since the firm has effectively pulled out of the UK market. They still supply parts, for now. But they rarely go wrong.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402026173886

Edited by SLO76 on 27/02/2024 at 22:32

The only issue with the focus was the seating position as she is petite so it will have to be an auto

How about a manual car where the gear lever emerges from the dashboard or further forward eg Fiat Panda / 500 or Honda Civic? There are probably others.

Edited by Big John on 27/02/2024 at 21:33

Good point

Best medium hatchback for under £8k - Random

Or even a Ford C-Max.

Honda love a dashboard gearstick. The one in the FRV is so high up that a third person can sit under it. Speaking of which, an HRV might fit the bill. Not dash mounted, but the centre console is high so the gearstick falls to hand nicely.