Estate or SUV - AndrewAUK99

Hi

Looking for a bargain suv or estate ideally under £3k

We have 3 dogs ( 2 medium and 1 small ) and hence the reason our last car was an XTrail but it became expensive to fix/maintain. Also we shift stuff occasionally and use it for tip runs. We will only do about 4k miles a year so want a petrol

..now the question.. do I go for a reliable old Mk2.5 CRV or similar or a reliable estate such as an avensis/focus or even a subaru otuback. Part of the decision will depend on the height of the boot. It will need to be at least 75cm due to the height of one of the dogs. Some estates are big but low if you know what I mean

Any comments

Estate or SUV - movilogo

Estates will have generally a better ride due to physics of lower center of gravity.

I wish more manufactures sell estates. Everyone now fallen into SUV bandwagon because profit margin in higher in SUVs.

Between Honda and Toyota both will be equally reliable so it is down to personal taste.

Estate or SUV - gordonbennet

This thread is worth a read as the OP is looking for almost the same as you.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/197726/sub-3k-petr...l

I've always said Hyundai/Kia missed a trick here, had they offered estate versions of Sonata/Magentis they would have sold like hot cakes, Toyota Camry too the later models.

As with all cars in this budget range don't discount anything sensible if its in good well looked after condtion.

Edited by gordonbennet on 02/03/2024 at 18:27

Estate or SUV - Adampr

In your position (very low mileage, need lots of space, low budget), I would be looking for something i****ically thirsty that your average buyer has no interest in - a petrol auto MPV.

There is, for instance, an old but low mileage Ford Galaxy 2.8 on Autotrader at the moment. Also things like the Chevrolet Orlando.

Edited by Adampr on 02/03/2024 at 19:28

Estate or SUV - Xileno

That old Galaxy's certainly a blast from the past. I can't remember the last time I saw a MK1 Galaxy. Rust might be an issue on a 25 year old Ford although the MOT is not showing any advisories. Tax might be a bit high.

Estate or SUV - De Sisti

That old Galaxy's certainly a blast from the past. I can't remember the last time I saw a MK1 Galaxy. Rust might be an issue on a 25 year old Ford although the MOT is not showing any advisories. Tax might be a bit high.

Offset by the low purchase price.

I use ridc and it's pretty accurate and I'm not sure why you think they are less than 75cm

The Ford focus estate shows as 79cm boot height.

I've narrowed the list down to the following based on my post and the other post you mentioned

Peugeot 308 SW

Vauxhall Astra sports tourer

Kia ceed SW

Vw Passat

Toyota avensis

Ford focus

Subaru outback

Honda crv

One thing the other post mentioned was that at £3k don't worry too much about mpg , it's more about reliability

Comments, insults, warnings welcome

Estate or SUV - De Sisti

I've narrowed the list down to the following based on my post and the other post you mentioned

[My edit]......

Kia ceed SW

One thing the other post mentioned was that at £3k don't worry too much about mpg , it's more about reliability

Comments, insults, warnings welcome

I didn't realise there would be that many at the price you're prepared to pay.

Edited by De Sisti on 03/03/2024 at 20:22

Yes I found all those at the price ..maybe up to £3500

Estate or SUV - badbusdriver

Yes I found all those at the price ..maybe up to £3500

Maybe?

Surely you either did or you didn't?

Also, I'm surprised at the inclusion of the Peugeot 308SW seeing as you read through the other thread suggested...........

Estate or SUV - John F

Also, I'm surprised at the inclusion of the Peugeot 308SW seeing as you read through the other thread suggested...........

That other thread was dominated by your lengthy posts. Possibly the OP missed my suggestion of the Peugeot 307SW. I didn't realise its successor, the 308SW, was available in the OP's price range. What's wrong with it? This one looks promising......

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402297069641?s...a

That other thread was dominated by your lengthy posts.

6 of the 34 posts were mine, that is hardly dominating. But apologies for trying to be informative and assuming this might help the OP make an informed choice.

I didn't realise its successor, the 308SW, was available in the OP's price range. What's wrong with it?

The 1.6VTI BMW/PSA Prince engine has a well known and deserved reputation for failures. Given how often it crops up, I'm surprised that you seem to be oblivious to it.

This one looks promising......

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402297069641?s...a

The 1.6 turbo diesel in the example you link also doesn't have that great a reputation. Frankly, a cheap diesel wouldn't be a wise choice under pretty much any circumstances, and certainly not with that engine.

If the OP really had to have a cheap diesel (for whatever reason) a PSA car with the 2.0 HDI (or the n/a 1.9), a Vauxhall with the 1.7 Isuzu turbo diesel, or a VAG car with the 1.9 turbo diesel would all be better choices.

Estate or SUV - Andrew-T

<< The 1.6 turbo diesel in the example you link also doesn't have that great a reputation. Frankly, a cheap diesel wouldn't be a wise choice under pretty much any circumstances, and certainly not with that engine. >>

The 1.6 HDi engine in my sample of one (207SW) has been 100% reliable for 15 years, largely IMHO because of shortened oil-and-filter change intervals. I don't know how the 307 or 308 SW versions compare for layout, but my car converts easily into a flat load area, which originally attracted SWMBO because it could be sat on comfortably for picnics. In fact as we are now octogenarians that rarely happens, but the planned purpose of the load area is regularly used for real loads.

Estate or SUV - Dave N
None of the estates you mention are 75 high. The CRV is but then it is also short in the boot.

Thanks for all the comments.

I'll make a note of the 307 vs the 308 cheers

Not sure where some are getting the heights from. I use RIDC and I've found it to be accurate and I agree the Avensis and one or two more dont quite make. For that reason I've had to readjust my list quite a bit to look at. All within the budget of £3500 ish... all petrol

Kia Sportage - Can rust

Hyundai Tuscon - Can rust

Toyota Rav4 - Can Rust

Honda CRV

Subaru Outback / Forester - Parts may be expensive

Nissan XTrail - would be high miles

Hyundai IX35 - dont know a lot

Peugeot 307SW

I also use RiDC, but usually for looking up the seat height. I'm assuming what you mean by boot height is the distance from floor to ceiling (rather than ground to boot floor or lip), but what they list is the height of the boot opening. That shouldn't be a problem though as the height in the boot will invariably be taller than the actual opening.

But be in no doubt that any £3.5k car can rust because it is highly unlikely you will come upon a car of this age/price won't have had some kind of bodywork repairs at some point.

Also be in no doubt that Subaru parts are expensive, there is no maybe about it!

Thanks. I guess the only good point is that maybe if a find a car with a clean mot then the rust may have already been done..

Estate or SUV - Adampr

Do you actually need back seats or could you get away with a van?

We will need occasional family holidays so no but thanks

Do you actually need back seats or could you get away with a van?

Even if that was the case, finding a decent £3.5k van is almost certainly going to be a harder task than with an estate, SUV or MPV.

There are a couple of older shape MPV versions of the Citroen Berlingo and Peugeot Partner Combi within budget on Autotrader though. One of them of in half decent nick could be just about perfect (assuming image and/or performance are not priorities!). Absolutely masses of headroom for the dogs plus a nice low boot floor height for them to get up into. And if the car doesn't need to be ULEZ compliant, I'd also definitely consider a 1.9 diesel version of either (possibly 2.0HDI too).

I had a look at some of the ones I listed and I think I might be overthinking it

Do I really need to buy an old.4x4 such as the Sportage, Tuscon, crv etc with all the extra costs of maintenance on the 4wd ...probably not.. I've seen a really cheap and according to the mot history well.looked after rav4 but then the tax, insurance and fuel costs would he much higher than an estate

Maybe for £3k that doesn't matter but I reckon if I bought something like a 307sw then I would save around £500 a year which I could use for repairs

Anyway that's my thoughts at the moment

Re the 307sw , apparently the best engine in terms of performance and mpg is the hdi diesel but do they suffer from the dreaded egr/dpf issues that a lot of diesels do and if so are they expensive to fix. My old xtrail cost me a fortune

Cheers

Estate or SUV - Andrew-T

Re the 307sw , apparently the best engine in terms of performance and mpg is the hdi diesel but do they suffer from the dreaded egr/dpf issues that a lot of diesels do and if so are they expensive to fix. My old xtrail cost me a fortune.

All true, but as you are looking for an elderly car, the question will be all about its history ; also the fact that when a car is being 'moved on' it may well be for a good reason. If that is because the owner has stopped driving, maybe a plus ; if because work needs doing, perhaps not. The diesel is certainly economical (mine has always done 60+mpg) but it will probably have a DPF unless it is pre-2009 like my car.

Estate or SUV - Adampr

I had a look at some of the ones I listed and I think I might be overthinking it

Do I really need to buy an old.4x4 such as the Sportage, Tuscon, crv etc with all the extra costs of maintenance on the 4wd ...probably not.. I've seen a really cheap and according to the mot history well.looked after rav4 but then the tax, insurance and fuel costs would he much higher than an estate

Maybe for £3k that doesn't matter but I reckon if I bought something like a 307sw then I would save around £500 a year which I could use for repairs

Anyway that's my thoughts at the moment

Re the 307sw , apparently the best engine in terms of performance and mpg is the hdi diesel but do they suffer from the dreaded egr/dpf issues that a lot of diesels do and if so are they expensive to fix. My old xtrail cost me a fortune

Cheers

You certainly py don't need a big 4x4. The other thing you certainly don't need, though, is a diesel. Will a Mondeo estate do the job if you're not interested in an MPV?

Thanks. I agree

I think its going to either be a nice estate like a Focus,Mondeo, 307SW or maybe an MPV like a Touran, C-max etc.. makes more economical sense for the small miles I'm doing

I've seen a 2007 Volkswagen Touran 1.4 TSI SE 111k miles 12 months MOT ( no fails or advisories for last 4 years ) and its up for £2995. I now webuyanycar is just trade but it values it at £810... Is is that way overpriced ?

I've seen a 2007 Volkswagen Touran 1.4 TSI SE 111k miles 12 months MOT ( no fails or advisories for last 4 years ) and its up for £2995. I now webuyanycar is just trade but it values it at £810... Is is that way overpriced ?

Earlier VW TSI engines used chain rather than belt and had problems due to said chain. I'm fairly sure one of this age would be chain and as such, I wouldn't be too keen regardless of price.

Ok.. ive done my research (!) and done my figures and really I'm going to stick to an MPV /Estate for what I want

I've narrowed it down to a

2.0 Hdi Peugeot 307 SW

I know its a diesel but the peugeot forum said the 2.0 doesnt have a dpf and there is a very simple cheap fix for egr issues

1.6s 8v Touran ( simple, easy to fix )

I know I've got to try and find the best one and thats not going to be easy with all the hidden truths in a lot of the adverts even autotrader

Pros and Cons very welcome

Ok.. ive done my research (!) and done my figures and really I'm going to stick to an MPV /Estate for what I want

I've narrowed it down to a

2.0 Hdi Peugeot 307 SW

I know its a diesel but the peugeot forum said the 2.0 doesnt have a dpf and there is a very simple cheap fix for egr issues

1.6s 8v Touran ( simple, easy to fix )

I know I've got to try and find the best one and thats not going to be easy with all the hidden truths in a lot of the adverts even autotrader

Pros and Cons very welcome

Are you actually looking at an example of each?. If so, buy whichever one is in best condition/has best MOT history/has best service history.

If not, restricting yourself to only two cars is not really going to help when looking for something this cheap. While there are one or two exceptions (some of which have been mentioned), pretty much anything with sufficient boot space could potentially be a viable purchase.

For example, if a really nice (1.6, 1.8 or 2.0 n/a petrol) Ford C-Max or Focus estate crops up local to you, it would be madness to pass on either just because it isn't on your list.

Edited by badbusdriver on 07/03/2024 at 17:02

Sorry , I was in a rush on my phone.. I meant to add the C-Max and Focus Estate ( I love focus )

Sorry , I was in a rush on my phone.. I meant to add the C-Max and Focus Estate ( I love focus )

You are missing the point. I just used the Focus and C-Max as examples, but the same could apply to many others.

Quite right.. I started to search

came across this

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402266963762

I know I've been told to avoid the powershift gearbox on the focus, is the auto on the c-max the same ?

I know I've been told to avoid the powershift gearbox on the focus, is the auto on the c-max the same ?

Depends on the age. The C-Max and Focus the same under the skin, so use the same auto transmission at around the same time. The Focus got the Powershift for the 3rd gen cars in around 2010. With the C-Max, it would have been around a year later on the 2nd gen cars. Prior to this, the autos on both were t/c.

Estate or SUV - Adampr

It sounds like the right sort of ballpark price to me (assuming it's any good). My boss has a 08 Touran that he took to about 160k before he had issues with it.

Estate or SUV - Andrew-T

I know webuyanycar is just trade but it values it at £810... Is is that way overpriced ?

I presume that is a dealer price, not private. It just indicates what kind of profit traders hope to make on any sale (quite a few years ago it was at least a grand), bearing in mind that they will be expected to include some sort of 'warranty' and cover themselves for the cost of fixing any immediate problems.

It also shows that the trade reckons the car has little more than scr@p value - it just goes to show that at this price point a private sale, if you can find a nice car, would be far better value, but without comeback of course. But there probably wouldn't be much from a trader either ....

I'm a actually a private sale !

What a few days, I've been checking what is feasible as a run around petrol estate and so far have seen toyota avensis estate , peugeot 308sw and a volvo v70

Am I ok in thinking that get the right one with good history and maintenance and either of these will do ?

Edited by AndrewAUK99 on 11/03/2024 at 19:27