Think GB may kick himself... - Chris M

This week's Bangers and Cash.

Toyota Corona 2.0l 4 door 1974, 31,000 miles, in original condition.

For a Toyota fan as we know GB is and (I think) retirement fast approaching, this would have been the perfect present. I won't say how much it fetched, but it weren't a lot.

Think GB may kick himself... - Steveieb

Spent most of its life in South Africa and imported here in 2017

£2700 Bargain ?

Prefer my RAV4 which cost about the same and only 20 years old !

A Cortina of similar vintage and condition would have been £££s more.

Whilst the styling may not be to everyone's taste, I think it would get more conversations started than a 20 year old RAV4.

Edited by Chris M on 09/03/2024 at 17:03

Think GB may kick himself... - Orb>>

This will cost about £2000 to bring here. After everything not worth any more, Did Baghdad-Mosul return last week...

ibb.co/gFWPf5R

Edited by Orb>> on 09/03/2024 at 17:40

I don't know what vintage that one is ORB, but the one sold was earlier (and less easy on the eye).

Think GB may kick himself... - badbusdriver

There is a 1976 Corona on Ebay at the moment. Car is from South Africa but currently in Portugal. It is rust free but slightly tired looking and the seller is asking £7900 for it.

So if the one on BFC is at least as solid (haven't seen the episode myself yet), it seems a proper bargain!

It's the previous model BBD and in much better nick.

www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction/lot/104-1974-toyota-c...1

Achilles heel according to Mathewsons is the seat materials which are cheap plastic. But this one is has remakably. good seats

Think GB may kick himself... - gordonbennet

If i had the funds and a warehouse i'd have a whole range of older Japanese cars, not just Toyotas.

Every experience with Toyotas however, from looking after a few for people during the 80's mainly, to those i've owned over the years, to delivering many hundreds of new ones out of the Burnaston factory and Portbury import centre, seeing first hand the difference in attitude to QC compared to other mass manufacturers, plus my experiences of the main dealers both as a customer and when delivering new cars to them, its difficult to find fault and difficult to find a bad attitude anywhere.

Even my most recent visit to the parts desk, last year, for gaskets etc for cleaning out the EGR valve on my Landcruiser, the chap could not have been more helpful, bearing in mind the vehicle is now 19 years old all the gaskets reqd were there the following day and he gave me the trade 10% discount...they actually seem enthusiastic to help do their bit to keep those older motors on the road, maybe its simple good business sense helping keep older versions going which can only encourage new buyer's confidence in the product.

It's the previous model BBD and in much better nick.

www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction/lot/104-1974-toyota-c...1

Looks well cool!

There is also a 1st gen (1967) Corona on Ebay with an asking price of £10.5k!, looks to be mint condition though.

Think GB may kick himself... - Metropolis.
I have a great deal of respect for Toyota, but were they reliable in the 70s? Genuine question not rhetorical.
I have a great deal of respect for Toyota, but were they reliable in the 70s? Genuine question not rhetorical.

They've always been reliable on the whole, that's why there are so many old ones (like the Corona in question) still happily chugging along in countries with dry climates.

Though obviously back then cars were so much simpler, so less to go wrong!

Think GB may kick himself... - John F

I have a great deal of respect for Toyota, but were they reliable in the 70s?

Mine was. In 1973 I bought an old Crown (S50) with 55,000 miles on the clock to drive home from Chingola (Zambia copper belt) due north up through the Congo via Kindu, Bangui, Kano, Algiers and Calais. Apart from losing some of the exhaust and one battery cell (improperly secured, friction eroded the case) everything still worked when we arrived at Dover. Didn't even get a puncture. But rust destroyed the sand and stone eroded underbody soon afterwards! The Crown does seem to have been remarkably successful - still being made since 1955!

Think GB may kick himself... - Orb>>

SWMBo's Corona in Baghdad has NEVER broken down. It is still serviced regularly with oil changes as recommended at 5000 miles and is checked over yearly. It has been through a few batteries since her father bought it as an 18th birthday present.

The one problem was a flat tyre and two elderly gentlemen stopped and changed the wheel for her. Not as new, but not far off it.

Edited by Orb>> on 10/03/2024 at 13:46

Think GB may kick himself... - Metropolis.
Thanks for the replies to my 70s Toyota query everyone. It is really quite impressive that a company has maintained quality standards for so long, when many other makers have not (Mercedes comes to mind, as does Honda given the current thread re Theophilus’s CRV

Edited by Metropolis. on 11/03/2024 at 17:16

Think GB may kick himself... - gordonbennet

The ones i looked after, including Corrolla Liftback, Carina, Supra 3 litre and a few Datsun Bluebirds were an eye opener for me, where i was on first name terms at the Ford parts desk and was always under British motors fettling the things, the Japanese cars only ever needed routine servicing (itself a joy because designed to be worked on) and the usual friction materials.

My home town saw an influx of mainly Indian immigrants in the 70's they almost all ran Japanese cars, often riddled with rust but every day they started first time and everything still worked, many British cars you were praying they would start on a cold morning, i learned much from those people and not just about cars, ie how well they respected and looked after their elderly folk compared to too many Brits.

My first Japanese car was a Bluebird estate the 1.8 RWD square shaped model think it was on a Y suffix reg BEL725Y rings a bell, paid £1750 for it from the auction @ 18 months old, ex company car 75k miles, my dad had the previous more curvy shaped Bluebird estate, they proved completely reliable.

Yes they could rot but so could everything else.

My work colleague had retired and living in Vancouver when he heard from the office that there was a training job going in Miami.

He bought an elderly Camry for $500 and drove down as it was cheaper than the air fare.

He was so surprised how well the journey went that he decided to drive the Camry back to Vancouver rather than dispose of the car in Miami .

Totally reliable.