choose 1 to 4-cheap estate - AndrewAUK99

Found these searching tonight for a cheap estate ( under £3k )

Of these 4 if you were only driving 4000 max a year which is reliable and the best value ?

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403057245254

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202310042670665

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402096411596

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402226852614

I'll keep a score

choose 1 to 4-cheap estate - Adampr

4, 1, 3, 2

That Honda's an absolute rotter. Not the model, but that particular example.

Edited by Adampr on 11/03/2024 at 21:39

choose 1 to 4-cheap estate - elekie&a/c doctor
The omega was a good comfortable workhorse. Only issue would be getting parts as it’s been out of production for over 20 years . Nice mot history though.

Ok so if it was the omega I guess you would be searching eBay or sc*** yards for stuff

I must admit I've never seen a car that's NEVER failed an mot . That must be some record

Just the engine that would concern me but maybe doing 4k miles a year it's not worth worrying about

choose 1 to 4-cheap estate - elekie&a/c doctor
Nothing wrong with the Vauxhall Ecotec engine . Fitted to millions of vectras and omega. Just make sure it has regular cambelt and water pump changes .,
choose 1 to 4-cheap estate - gordonbennet

3 and 4 would be my preference, is anyone else annoyed that a dealer advert has glaring speeling errors.

choose 1 to 4-cheap estate - catsdad

If your question had simply been “should I buy an unspecified 9 year old car or a 20 year old one?” I think the majority would plump for a 9 year old. Having said that, aside from the rusty Accord, the other two oldies look OK on paper. They are still very aged though.

The Dacia would be the one I would look at. The MOT history and miles look good but they were popular taxis (although probably more in diesel form) so just make sure the car condition is in line with the recorded miles. Parts will be less of an issue, in any case many non body parts will be Nissan/Renault. We have two turbo Sanderos of around that age in the wider family and they have been reliable and cheap to run. The Dacia being non turbo is however a bonus in potential reliability if performance is not an issue.

choose 1 to 4-cheap estate - Random

Just buy a 1.6 petrol Focus instead, job done.

I just don't think the focus boot will be big enough for the two medium/large dogs

choose 1 to 4-cheap estate - badbusdriver

I just don't think the focus boot will be big enough for the two medium/large dogs

Based on what?

You said the height of the boot needed to be 75cm, which the (3rd gen 2010 on) Focus is.

The Logan MCW's boot might be of greater capacity than the Focus, but its floor area is slightly less. So the extra capacity it has over the Focus is simply due to extra height which, by your own criteria, isn't really needed.

And the Mitsubishi Lancer estate (who's boot you presumably think is big enough seeing as you've linked an advert for one) is quite a bit smaller than the Focus

choose 1 to 4-cheap estate - Warning

I saw a Honda Accord estate in blue on the street, it looked stunning (this is the newer shape) from say around 2008 onwards. I could never get a one at a sensible price despite its age, they command a premium. However, the pre-face model looks dated to me and are more affordable.

Have you considered a Mazda 6 estate both old share and new shape?

For illustration purposes:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401215765339?s...t

Still looking for an estate sub under £3500

Honestly what I have seen is r******

On autotrader this evening every one of this is under £3500 and come with 12 months mot

I have included diesels and I think most of them don't have a dpf

KIA Sorento 2 .5 CRDi XE 5dr

Volvo XC90 2 .4 D5 SE

Ford C-max 2.0 C-MAX ZETEC

Honda crv 2.2 i-CDTi

Mercedes-Benz C Class 2.1 C250 CDI

Ford Galaxy 2.0 Zetec

Honda Accord. 2.4 i-VTEC

SKODA Octavia 2.0 TDI

Volkswagen Sharan 1.9 TDI PD

Volkswagen Touran 1.9 TDI

Consider them or dump them ?

You've got to the going mad stage.

Any of those may or may not be OK. I would expect the Merc and Volvo to be the least likely.

The old Tourans seem pretty solid. Without seeing any of them, I reckon the CMax would be worth a look.

Mad ?... Definitely

Thanks

choose 1 to 4-cheap estate - SLO76
Where roughly are you? I like a wee car search, but I’m struggling to find a good big family wagon at £15k. Used cars are overpriced and few are well cared for these days. The first keeper almost never owns them, often the second and third too thanks to PCP and thus many are abused and neglected as a result.

Still looking for an estate sub under £3500

Honestly what I have seen is r******

On autotrader this evening every one of this is under £3500 and come with 12 months mot

I have included diesels and I think most of them don't have a dpf

KIA Sorento 2 .5 CRDi XE 5dr

Volvo XC90 2 .4 D5 SE

Ford C-max 2.0 C-MAX ZETEC

Honda crv 2.2 i-CDTi

Mercedes-Benz C Class 2.1 C250 CDI

Ford Galaxy 2.0 Zetec

Honda Accord. 2.4 i-VTEC

SKODA Octavia 2.0 TDI

Volkswagen Sharan 1.9 TDI PD

Volkswagen Touran 1.9 TDI

Consider them or dump them ?

You surely can't be expecting us to rate cars unseen?. Link the ads and we can have a look!.

Speaking of which, 3 of the 4 cars in the ads at the top of this thread are still available, including that Omega at under £1700. Inexplicable that, given how nice it looks, its impeccable MOT history and the fact that you are (allegedly) looking for a cheap estate. Highly unlikely your budget will get you anything better in terms of condition, MOT history and service history.

Where roughly are you? I like a wee car search, but I’m struggling to find a good big family wagon at £15k. Used cars are overpriced and few are well cared for these days. The first keeper almost never owns them, often the second and third too thanks to PCP and thus many are abused and neglected as a result.

Going by the ads at the top of the thread still for sale, OP is looking in the Manchester/Sheffield area.

Edited by badbusdriver on 21/03/2024 at 08:00

Based in Cheshire

I did look into the omega, I can't remember now what was the problem , I'll have a look again

The Honda was a dog and the mcv has the very underpowered 1.2 engine

My favourites would be an avensis estate or a b5 Passat but as slo76 said finding anything 'cheap' nowadays is extremely difficult

Thanks

I think the problem might be unrealistic expectations of what a £3k budget will get you into these days.

Re the MCV, it isn't "very underpowered", its performance is adequate and entirely in keeping with its purpose. The problem is that people have got so used to cars with an unnecessary amount of power and performance that they find it unthinkable to have anything less. An MCV will do almost 100mph and will happily sit at the legal limit all day long.

Edited by badbusdriver on 21/03/2024 at 08:31

I understand what you are saying but when I went on the dacia forum literally half of the people said for the weight and size of the car it was almost dangerous..I've no idea what they mean or course

I understand what you are saying but when I went on the dacia forum literally half of the people said for the weight and size of the car it was almost dangerous..I've no idea what they mean or course

I have not driven one, but I have owned and driven plenty of vehicles with similar or worse performance figures, and my personal opinion on this is, absolute r******!. No, you aren't going to win many races, but so what?

Just to be clear though, going from a vehicle with a decent amount of power and performance to something like the MCV is going to require a different mindset. If you can adapt to and accept that, there will be no problems. But only you can know or decide if you can.

The VW Caddy I used for work up till about 6 months ago had a 0-62 time of 20.5 seconds (6 seconds slower than a 1.2 MCV). I never found its performance particularly lacking for my needs.

I took a Panda 4x4 for a spin yesterday. Brilliant car, but just a little too small for my needs and the engine is very noisy.

Anyway, 0-60 on that was 12.6 seconds and it never felt slow, including up steep hills and joining a dual carriageway. That's an 875cc two cylinder, so the Dacia one should probably be OK.

I took a Panda 4x4 for a spin yesterday. Brilliant car, but just a little too small for my needs and the engine is very noisy.

Surely no smaller than the Twingo?

Anyway, 0-60 on that was 12.6 seconds and it never felt slow, including up steep hills and joining a dual carriageway. That's an 875cc two cylinder, so the Dacia one should probably be OK.

Yeah, it is a turbo though, so it does have quite a bit more torque at much lower revs. You do of course get the Dacia with the same 0.9 turbo as your Twingo, but that will be dearer.

I saw a Mercedes e280 cdi only 121 miles, excellent service history, mot history very good, last owner 13 years , asking £3500

Is that asking for trouble ?

I saw a Mercedes e280 cdi only 121 miles, excellent service history, mot history very good, last owner 13 years , asking £3500

Is that asking for trouble ?

Is it asking for trouble?, who can say!.

As is often said when looking at a low price point, you need to judge each car on condition.

But, while I can see the appeal, another thing frequently said is to keep it simple (stupid), or KISS. Not sure that could apply to a 6 cyl turbo diesel auto (presumably)!. Thing is, if something goes wrong it ain't going to be cheap to have it fixed.

You are so right...you can see the overthinking madness is setting in

choose 1 to 4-cheap estate - Random

Forget the Merc, as nice as it sounds, parts are expensive if anything goes wrong. Stick to something like a C-Max. I bought a 2008, 1.8 petrol C-Max, 108,000 miles a month ago so far delighted with it.

Surely no smaller than the Twingo?

I'd say the Twingo has more legroom in the back, but the Panda is a bit bigger overall. Sadly, I was looking for a replacement for the Karoq, though. I was hoping that I could get away with something smaller, but I think I would regret it on the first camping trip. Why can't I just have 20 different cars like some kind of billionaire?