Sort of. Or suggestions... - Kei Trucks - Adampr

I know at least one of you knows a bit about these....

I am about to change jobs and will be going from a 60 mile motorway commute down the M5 to an office, to a 15 mile commute through country lanes over the Mendip hills and into the (quite flood-y) Somerset.levels. I will be based on a former farm with unmade roads.

I am thinking that my Karoq is probably a bit excessive for such a short drive and, despite appearances, possibly not the best tool for the job.

I considered swapping it for a 4x4 PHEV, but the only one that has a similar value to the Karoq (job comes with pay cut, so I definitely don't want to spend more than that - circa £15k) is a Mitsubishi Outlander. I'm not fond of the looks but, more importantly, next door have one and having the same car would seem weird.

I was then considering something like a Panda 4x4. That is still a possibility. We have a small trailer tent (Dandy Dart, about 350kg) that we use during the summer, so anything would have to be able to tow that. Our current second car (Renault Twingo) can't tow.

I have always fancied a kei truck, since I drove a Bedford Rascal back in the day (the day being about 1997-98 in this case). It occurred to me that, with a dropside, I could potentially take the trailer tent off the full chassis (it needs new suspension) and just put it on the load bed of such a truck when required (fixed in place somehow and held in the air whilst putting it on somehow...)

There are a few 4x4 kei trucks available, and they sound like they could be good for work and camping duty. They seem to have a lot of ground clearance and fairly simple mechanicals.

I am not sure how well a genuine Kei (i.e 660cc) truck would respond to having 350kg dumped on the back. Would a 1.3 Suzuki Carry, for example, make more sense.

Or am I just mad and should be looking at a Panda 4x4 or even just an old RAV4 and getting my trailer tent suspension fixed?

Sort of. Or suggestions... - Kei Trucks - elekie&a/c doctor
Having recently spent 3 weeks in Japan , these kei cars/ trucks pick-ups are everywhere and extremely popular. However, would I want to drive one ? Probably not . Ideal in city environments, but not on the open road . I certainly wouldn’t want to be involved in an accident in one , for sure . Get yourself an old Rav 4 , Petrol.
Sort of. Or suggestions... - Kei Trucks - bathtub tom
next door have one and having the same car would seem weird.

Near neighbours ended up in that situation. One stuck a sign on: "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

Sort of. Or suggestions... - Kei Trucks - Manatee

I've an Outlander but I wouldn't buy any Mitsubishi now that isn't silly cheap. I'll run mine into the ground I think, or just out it when we can lose one car. And if you do buy anything with batteries, make sure you stay out of floods or you'll probably have to throw it away.

Can you keep the Karoq, assuming you own it, presumably it has years of life in it and by swapping it you will destroy some value? Why would you not want a decent car for 30 miles a day?

I love those Kei cars/trucks but other than as a city car they are a toy. There's one down the road from here, beautifully kept but hardly ever moves, chap has a proper car as well.

If you want or need to cash in the Karoq and run an oldie then I predict the usual advice will be received - look for something petrol and 'Japanese' :)

Edited by Manatee on 14/03/2024 at 22:54

Sort of. Or suggestions... - Kei Trucks - Adampr

I've an Outlander but I wouldn't buy any Mitsubishi now that isn't silly cheap. I'll run mine into the ground I think, or just out it when we can lose one car. And if you do buy anything with batteries, make sure you stay out of floods or you'll probably have to throw it away.

Can you keep the Karoq, assuming you own it, presumably it has years of life in it and by swapping it you will destroy some value? Why would you not want a decent car for 30 miles a day?

I love those Kei cars/trucks but other than as a city car they are a toy. There's one down the road from here, beautifully kept but hardly ever moves, chap has a proper car as well.

If you want or need to cash in the Karoq and run an oldie then I predict the usual advice will be received - look for something petrol and 'Japanese' :)

The Karoq is only front wheel drive. It is also a bit posh for smashing up and down a farm track. I own it, and will obviously lose money selling it, but feel like I would lose more money beating it up then selling it. I think it makes sense to break something cheaper that might not be so fragile.

Sort of. Or suggestions... - Kei Trucks - Metropolis.
If I were you I would look at Suzuki Grand Vitaras, something like this www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402226826277

The above is just an example rather than a specific recommendation of that particular car. The Grand Vitaras of this vintage and older are better equipped for mild off road use than the equivalent RAV4.
Sort of. Or suggestions... - Kei Trucks - badbusdriver

I am not sure how well a genuine Kei (i.e 660cc) truck would respond to having 350kg dumped on the back.

As it happens, the payload of a kei truck is 350kg!. But, you need to be aware that this hasn't much to do with GVW minus kerb weight, it is simply the figure decided upon (for whatever reason) as the maximum payload to fit into the taxation class of kei truck or van (in much the same way 64bhp has been decided the maximum allowable power). A Bedford Rascal dropside pickup has a payload of around 500kg, a (UK market) Suzuki Carry and my own Piaggio Porter is around 650kg. In fact for mainland European markets there were two GVW versions of the "standard" (as opposed to the Maxi with twin rear wheels) Porter, 1.5t and 1.7t, with the payload of the latter being as much as 850kg. so there will be no problem with 350kg.

Engine wise, with kei trucks vans and cars, while there is a maximum of 64bhp allowed, that is on vehicles with turbo engine. N/a is going to have roughly 55-58bhp, not a huge difference, but the extra torque of a turbo would be most welcome. Unfortunately, it isn't that easy at all to find out if a prospective purchase has a turbo or not. But with a turbo engine, given the dimensions and proportions, 64bhp is plenty!. My Piaggio Porter has a 1.3 Daihatsu engine which makes 64bhp and it is happiest between an indicated 55-65mph (I'd guess actual speed to be around 5mph lower), but that has more to do with revs than stability though as it is very low geared.

Staying on stability, not half as bad as I thought it might be**, in fact along with it being amusingly nippy, it is actually good fun to hustle along twisty country roads. Its narrowness means you can play with your lines at will while staying on your side of the road!. That brings me on to something else though, the ground clearance. AFAIK no kei trucks have extra ground clearance from the factory, this is done by simple and fairly rudimentary lift kits. I watched a video by Johnny Smith* reviewing a kei truck (imported by the same outfit that was bringing in Lada Niva's before the Ukraine war!) and they do the suspension lift in the UK (If memory serves, there was two height options). Point is, while the suspension lift may be handy for your flooded lanes, it will inevitably have a detrimental effect on the handling and stability of a vehicle which is already quite tall for its size along with being very narrow and having a very short wheelbase. In short, I'd be thinking very carefully about whether you actually need the extra clearance (high level air intake and vertical exhaust up the back of the cab perhaps?).

Another thing to be aware of if you are anything over average height is the cab space. My Porter has the standard cab and I fit well enough at 5'9" and size 8 feet, but anyone more than about an inch or two taller would probably struggle. Yes, you do get pickups with an extended cab (and higher roof), but that isn't going to help in the footwell if you have size 10 + feet, and it isn't going to help with the narrowness if you are of a bigger build!.

The safety aspect is something I pondered a lot when I fist got the Porter, but not so much now. Yes, it is never that far from the back of my mind, and I may feel different after a particularly close shave, but for the time being I've accepted it for what it is. I've been using it for a while now including over one winter and don't fear particularly for my safety while driving. A couple of things I think about are, (1) I have only been in one serious accident, a chap coming towards me lost control of his Rover Metro on a corner and hit the front of my 1987 Vauxhall Nova (sideways). He died later but myself and my Mother walked away with some whiplash. (2) Being as small and narrow as it is, (assuming you have your wits about you) you have a fairly decent chance of either avoiding a full on accident or turning it into a glancing blow.

Would a 1.3 Suzuki Carry, for example, make more sense.

With regards to the (UK) Suzuki Carry vs an imported kei truck. The youngest UK Carry is going to be 2006 and they do rust, so the problem is going to be finding one in decent condition. They do have a bit more power, a 1.3 with 77bhp if memory serves, but otherwise the only benefit I see in choosing one over an imported kei truck (which has never seen a salty road) would possibly be parts availability. That might be an issue if you prang it and have to get body panels, but you should be able to order a service kit easy enough via an importer (I got for the Porter not too long ago from Knightcott Motors, very helpful chap, and very chatty!)

I love those Kei cars/trucks but other than as a city car they are a toy.

Nonsense!. Most 4x4 kei trucks in the UK are bought by farmers and large estates, and are much more "serious" (most have high and low range) vehicles than the majority of SUV's in the UK. In Japan, they use kei trucks as fire trucks in small villages because they can get to places bigger fire trucks can't. Even outwith town and cities, they really aren't much of a problem once you get past the mentality that seems to affect most UK drivers, "I can't be going any slower than other traffic, otherwise I'll die"!

*watch (said Johnny Smith video, it is quite long but worth a look if you are thinking about a kei truck)

**But as a window cleaner, I won't be out in winds gusting to more than about 35-40mph. And I did have a Suzuki ST90 van (predecessor to the Supercarry/Rascal) in my youth and was terrified driving across the Kessock bridge just outside Inverness on a windy day!

Edited by badbusdriver on 15/03/2024 at 09:16