Vent phone holder any good? - Warning

It is frustrating that modern cars don't have built-in phone holders. I do have a built-in navigation system, but prefer to use the one on my phone. The windscreen is a far way away and these Amazon phone holders seem to use both suction and glue. Making reposition harder.

I have seen the vent phone holder, but I am worried it will break the vents. I don't want to go over a bump and it makes the vent break? Or are my fears unfounded?

Vent phone holder any good? - movilogo

I used one in my previous car and it worked well. Had to place a magnetic sticker on back of phone. On bad roads/potholes it fell down few times.

Current car has Android Auto so no need for it anymore.

Vent phone holder any good? - daveyjp

I have one that has a clamp that grips the vent slat. Works well..

Vent phone holder any good? - RT

I too use one of those, works very well www.amazon.co.uk/APPS2Car-Universal-Rotatable-Hand...6

Vent phone holder any good? - Engineer Andy

I too use one of those, works very well www.amazon.co.uk/APPS2Car-Universal-Rotatable-Hand...6

I bought a similar one (different never-heard-of Chinese make from Amazon) for my old work phone (a Samsung S6 I think), but it works just fine on any phone that is that size or smaller.

The main thing is to find a unit that has a good quality, highly adjustable (but which can be properly locked in position [many aren't any good in that regard]) and robust clamp.

I now use it on my NOKIA 5.3 (6in screen) and old Lumia 620.

Note to the OP that some make and models are specifically designed for rectangular vents, others for circular vents, and mostly aren't interchangeable.

Vent phone holder any good? - elekie&a/c doctor
I use a Yosh magnetic holder that claws into an air vent , or the one with a suction cup for the screen with a magnetic part for the phone and an adjustable extending arm .
Vent phone holder any good? - Manatee

I have had the same two vent-attached ones in daily use for about 7 years. That particular model is not available now but there are lots on Amazon under £10.

Never had a vent break.

The third car has a Brodit mount. The "clip" is made for a specific car model. You then buy a "device holder" suitable for your phone and attach it to the clip. It will probably run you to £50 ish for both but they are pretty solid and don't usually involve any drilling.

There are phone-specific "device holders" and universal ones - I have one of the latter that is adjustable as to width and I have used it with 3 different phones so far.

www.brodit.co.uk/

Vent phone holder any good? - Chris M

Never used one myself and I don't know how car specific the success rate is, but my son uses one of these for his work iPhone in his Astra K. It works well. His personal iPhone is kept plugged in in the armrest to run Google maps which he prefers over the car's satnav.

amzn.eu/d/1bm6zgT

Edited by Chris M on 15/03/2024 at 17:00

Vent phone holder any good? - Big John

The third car has a Brodit mount. The "clip" is made for a specific car model. You then buy a "device holder" suitable for your phone and attach it to the clip.

I use the Brodit range of mounts with a Tomtom Premium X in my Superb mkII - works really well indeed.

Vent phone holder any good? - blindspot

with clever use of elastic bands .iv'e held a sat nav to the vent

Vent phone holder any good? - gordonbennet

I have a Belkin phone holder that sits in the cup holder and can be adjusted to be a tight fit, its suitable for trucks because the cup holders are strong and suitably placed, it gets removed after every shift, been subject to hard use over 5 years and probably 350k miles and shows no signs of breaking any time soon.

Whilst that particular model may not be suitable they make different types, between that item and several others we use around the house i'd recommend Belkin products as worthy of consideration, not cheap but well made.

Vent phone holder any good? - alan1302

I have a Belkin phone holder that sits in the cup holder and can be adjusted to be a tight fit, its suitable for trucks because the cup holders are strong and suitably placed, it gets removed after every shift, been subject to hard use over 5 years and probably 350k miles and shows no signs of breaking any time soon.

Whilst that particular model may not be suitable they make different types, between that item and several others we use around the house i'd recommend Belkin products as worthy of consideration, not cheap but well made.

Never seen one like that before - just been looking at them on Amazon. Very interesting.

Vent phone holder any good? - JonestHon

Although we have sat nav built-in, the cars are from 2007 and 2010 so the technology is not really comparable to any map app.

I am using the screw type vent clamp with a magnetic back and it doesn't fall, you move it to any convenient position and it's generally solid and seems to work well.

A tenner from ebay.