Dynamic indicators - davecooper

Why are so many new cars appearing with the Audi style dynamic indicators. Even lorries are fitted with them now. When these first appeared, they were something different and unique to Audi. Now they are on everything and to be honest are becoming a bit boring. I have never seen any problem with plain old flashing indicators.

I am assuming Audi were the first manufacturer to use these in the uk but I may be wrong. Also, I am aware that there were similar indicators and brake lights used in the US decades ago but these used filament lamps. I am really referring to the current LED type.

Dynamic indicators - elekie&a/c doctor
I guess it’s because it’s easy to do electronic trickery with led lights . Also led lights use a lot less blinker fluid than conventional bulbs .
Dynamic indicators - Terry W

And when they fail, which they will inevitable do due to accident or malfunction, they cost several £100s to replace.

Completely pointless adding cost and complexity for zero functionality in the performance of indicators.

Contrast with a traditional filament which cost an inordinate £1-2 to replace.

Dynamic indicators - mcb100
I did read that they’re more visible than regular indicators as the brain/eyes are attracted to movement, and at least one element of the indicator is on all the time when they’re scrolling. As opposed to being off as long as they’re on when conventionally flashing.
Dynamic indicators - Andrew-T
I did read that they’re more visible than regular indicators as the brain/eyes are attracted to movement, and at least one element of the indicator is on all the time when they’re scrolling. As opposed to being off as long as they’re on when conventionally flashing.

I agree with you, MCB, but I still see them as a gimmick. I was watching a car apparently making a turn today for a few seconds before I noticed that the driver was in fact indicating, but the small orange lamp was swamped by the adjacent headlamp.

Dynamic indicators - gordonbennet

On the contrary, in the case of HGV's fitted with these gimmicks they are beyond useless, each individual led as it illuminates is nowhere near bright enough, on a bright day the driver might as well not bother to indicate at all. Blowed if i know who thought these were a good idea on trucks or PSVs but it will have been someone who spends little or no time out on the road.

In cars fitted with them its had a good effect, whereas the use of indicators was fast disappearing having these things to impress others with has seen a resurgence of indicator usage, sadly this hasn't morphed into useful indicating at roundabouts.

Dynamic indicators - FiestaOwner
Also, I am aware that there were similar indicators and brake lights used in the US decades ago but these used filament lamps. I am really referring to the current LED type.

I preferred the US sequential ones (from the 60's) to the modern LED dynamic ones. However, I feel that on/ off indicators stand out better than dynamic ones (especially when being used as hazard warning lights on a stationary vehicle).

youtu.be/ubzvNyKX9C4?feature=shared

Dynamic indicators - movilogo

Some innovations are to assist the manufacturers rather than consumers.

With traditional indicators you can replace a blown bulb easily. In modern gimmicky indicators you probably need to replace whole light unit costing £££ which is more profitable for manufacturers.

Dynamic indicators - Falkirk Bairn

My complaint about indicators is that they are often located towards the centre line of the car often rolled up in the headlight cluster.

IMHO the correct place for indicators is as near the front & rear wings as possible.

In some cars the DRLs are very bright & can mask the indicators. On newer Minis the DRL dims when the indicators on that side are flashing - great!! white light on one side of the front and a flashing ambers on the other.