Focus/Civic/3 - New car needed - Sam Wiltshire
Hi guys

After my old caddy has given up completely. I’m now looking for a new car but know next to nothing about cars and what to look for (the van was necessary for previous job and gifted to me)

Looking for a decent size hatchback. Something with a bit of go to it but I’m no petrol head by any means. Mileage is around 10k a year so petrol and I’m not fussed whether auto or manual.

I’ve been recommended to look at Ford Focus, Honda civics and Mazda 3 (have had a Mazda estate before which I thoroughly enjoyed) need something I could fit a Labrador in the back so don’t really want to go smaller.

Is there anything else worth looking for? Are these good cars or ones to avoid?

I’m probably looking budget wise around the 2014-2016 age although budget can flex a bit if needs be.

Any advice and recommendations would be gratefully recieved.
Focus/Civic/3 - New car needed - badbusdriver

The vast majority of petrol Focus at that age will have the 1.0 Ecoboost engine, and you don't want that. Also, any automatic Focus of that age will have the Powershift DCT, which is also to be avoided. So better to give the Focus a miss if it has to be a 2014-2016 car.

Which brings me to another point, 2014-2016 isn't a budget!. Not only can prices of cars within that age range be very high (another current thread has a link to a 2012 Toyota Avensis at over £8k), but they can vary dramatically. So if you want help or suggestions (there may be many), you really need to tell us what you can spend.

Having said that, both the other two cars you mention are good news with petrol engines and either manual or auto.