Used car - SUV - CT_driver

Hi all, this is my first post here.

We are looking for a used car (age: 2020 or newer, budget: £15-25k) as our family is expanding. The plan is to have 2 car seats at the back row. Ideally, a passenger should sit inbetween them but I know that this is almost impossible. Therefore, we are open for a 7-seater option as well.

We lean towards an SUV as prefer a higher sitting position. Regarding journeys, 90% will be short ones (i.e. 10-20miles daily). I prefer a diesel but I am concerned that for such short distances it might turn problematic. I was never a fan of petrol as I never owned a petrol-engine car aiming for high mpgs and better reliability.

Initially, with a bit of stretch, I was looking for luxury SUVs like XC90, Q7, X5 but then I got second thoughts regarding their reliability.

I am open to your suggestions, recommendations, thoughts. Looking forward to your replies, thanks!

Used car - SUV - badbusdriver

Skoda Kodiak 1.5TSI. Your budget should get you into a 2022 example, it is a 7 seater and the 1.5 turbo petrol should return decent MPG.

Should also point out that you can get into a brand new Dacia Jogger for under £20k (the warranty on which can be extended to 7 years). But I guess that won't appeal to someone who really wants a "luxury" SUV!

;-)

Edited by badbusdriver on 22/03/2024 at 13:06

Used car - SUV - alan1302

Go for the 7 seater version of the Citroen Berlingo/Peugeot Rifter/Vauxhall Combo Life.

Used car - SUV - CT_driver

Thanks badbusdriver for your recommendations!

How would you compare the Kodiak with the Kia Sorento?

I wouldn't say no to Dacia Jogger, especially with the extended warranty..

Alan, I am leaning towards Peugeot 5008. Do you have any thoughts regarding its reliability?

Edited by CT_driver on 22/03/2024 at 20:33

Used car - SUV - badbusdriver

Your budget might just get you into a 1.6 turbo hybrid Sorento, but you'd probably be looking at the 2.2 turbo diesel which wouldn't be ideal or your usage. The Kodiaq is a little smaller, quite a bit lighter and would do at least the same (but probably more) mpg. The only caveat I'd have with the Kodiaq would be if you wanted auto because I don't have a lot of faith in the DSG.

The Jogger I mentioned being under £20k new would be the 1.0 turbo, but your budget is also enough to get into a brand new hybrid version.

I am leaning towards Peugeot 5008. Do you have any thoughts regarding its reliability?

The 5008?, well I guess folks want an SUV because they are trendy. The 1.2 Puretech did have some problems early on, but should be fine at the age your budget would get. Not sure about the 1.6 turbo and as said, better to avoid the diesel. Personally, I'd sooner have a Rifter (or its Citroen and Vauxhall kissing cousins) because they are more spacious (massively so in the case of the LWB) and practical. But between the 5008 and Kodiaq, I'd take the Kodiaq if it was a manual, but the 5008 if auto (it uses a t/c auto rather than DSG/DCT)

Used car - SUV - alan1302

Thanks badbusdriver for your recommendations!

Alan, I am leaning towards Peugeot 5008. Do you have any thoughts regarding its reliability?

I can only go by my own Vauxhall Combo Life which has the same engines and I believe the same/similar underpinnings as the 5008 and have not had any issues with the car...had it 3.5 years and done 80,000 trouble free miles.