Electric Transit on trial - SLO76
My firm (a local bus and coach company) has sitting it its bank a tax payer funded grant which has to be spent on electric buses. We’ve bought two Sigma 8’s, which have proven to be a disappointment due to range and poor reliability - one has been off the road for months awaiting parts. We’ve also bought a Mercedes based minibus which has also proven to be next to useless.

On Monday morning I was presented with an electric Ford Transit minibus for appraisal. On turning it on it’s immediately evident that it’s also not fit for purpose with an estimated range of just 115 miles! This plummeted to 88 miles after a run of 17 miles in good weather and driven gently. These are around £80,000 yet it’s capable of doing two short school runs with confidence in winter at best, in other words absolutely useless and not good value for the tax payer. Otherwise quite pleasant to drive if a bit heavy and bouncy compared to an equivalent diesel.

My recommendation was not to buy, to put the money into another tried and tested (but not without fault) ADL product instead to go along with the E100 we have on order already, which would better serve as a rolling advert for the firm.

Edited by SLO76 on 24/03/2024 at 11:33

Electric Transit on trial - elekie&a/c doctor
We recently had bt fibre installed. The engineer arrived in a Vauxhall/ Peugeot all electric van . In poor conditions with everything in use , he was lucky to get 80 mile range . Pretty useless.
I often see workies sat in vans at chargers during the day. How much extra cost is this adding to firms that are moving to electric? Is it really viable?
Electric Transit on trial - gordonbennet

One would have hoped some rentals wold be used for trial periods before spending someone else's money like drunken sailors, silly me.

In truck as in car world there are demonstrators (battery power would be little short of a bad joke on my job) available for testing, are battery mini buses so hopeless no one dare offer demos?

One would have hoped some rentals wold be used for trial periods before spending someone else's money like drunken sailors, silly me.

In truck as in car world there are demonstrators (battery power would be little short of a bad joke on my job) available for testing, are battery mini buses so hopeless no one dare offer demos?

It is a demo, thus I had it on trial. It’s going back shortly. The firm did have a larger Sigma 10 on loan for a while too but the range was found to be inadequate. The Sigma 8’s were ok on test, but found to be unreliable in service.

Edited by SLO76 on 24/03/2024 at 12:36

Electric Transit on trial - gordonbennet

It is a demo, thus I had it on trial. It’s going back shortly. The firm did have a larger Sigma 10 on loan for a while too but the range was found to be inadequate. The Sigma 8’s were ok on test, but found to be unreliable in service.

Thank goodness for that.

However its areal quandry for your bus operator, if that money has to be spent on a battery only bus.

I'm surprised Toyota haven't entered that market, maybe they already have in other countries, the hybrid system as used in Corolla given a bigger engine and (plug in?) battery pack would surely make an excellent mini bus.

A battery truck on my work given the weight and PTO drive needed for discharge would be little more than a poor joke, we trialled a CNG powered tractor but give our weights the driver actually watched the fuel gauge dropping, hopeless.

Is there anything battery powered in buses that works as well and as reliably as a traditional Diesel?

“ However it’s areal quandry for your bus operator, if that money has to be spent on a battery only bus.”

Yeah, that’s the terms the grant is awarded under. Must be all electric. It’s the only way these things are financially viable. Unless there’s a huge drop in costs then fares will have to rise once tax payer funds dry up.

Optare has restarted diesel bus production as operators find electric options unsuitable for rural services. These wee buses are hard things to kill.
Electric Transit on trial - Terry W

Much depends on planned usage:

• city, urban or rural
  • type of use - longer journeys, trades with local sites/suppliers, courier/delivery.

Simple panel van search on Autotrader for 2018-2020 - average 5 years old throws up 9000 vans - so a good sample.:

• the average mileage is ~65k, 13k pa, 12500, 48 miles per day
  • 75% are below ~80k, 16k pa, 60 miles per day

Accepting actual miles per day may vary between (say) 25-90 miles per day, charging every 1/2 days is entirely feasible.

However there is a fundamental paradox - catch 22:

• EV only generates large environmental and financial savings if mileage is high
  • if mileage is high, then EV is not currently the optimal operating solution

All this is somewhat academic - the government is committed (until they change it again!) to mandating electric from 2035. Manufacturers have probably another 15 years to improve their offering through further development so why worry now.

Electric Transit on trial - Chris M

Horses for courses I guess.

LKQ (ECP) have at least one electric Berlingo van on the fleet in Portsmouth where they have two branches. Their vans are a common sight not just in the city, but also in my local area about 10 miles out. Whether the leccy van is used for the more outlying deliveries I don't know. I believe we have a regular poster who works for one of the national factors. Perhaps he has some insight on their suitability?

Royal Mail in Pompey have run a fleet of Vito electrics for a couple of years now. Be interesting to know how they have performed. RM appear to run their vehicles until they drop. Our local delivery office have a lot of 2012 Partners and even a couple of 2009 VX Combos.

Electric Transit on trial - paul 1963

Horses for courses I guess.

LKQ (ECP) have at least one electric Berlingo van on the fleet in Portsmouth where they have two branches. Their vans are a common sight not just in the city, but also in my local area about 10 miles out. Whether the leccy van is used for the more outlying deliveries I don't know. I believe we have a regular poster who works for one of the national factors. Perhaps he has some insight on their suitability?

Royal Mail in Pompey have run a fleet of Vito electrics for a couple of years now. Be interesting to know how they have performed. RM appear to run their vehicles until they drop. Our local delivery office have a lot of 2012 Partners and even a couple of 2009 VX Combos.

I am, I believe the regular poster, I've just changed jobs but the time I spent driving E Berlingos doing around 40k in them were positive in the whole, brand new they give around 160 mile range, with a few miles on them this tends to settle down to around 140, a rapid charge at lunch time saw them through the afternoon then a slow overnight charge had them ready for the next morning although I used to bring 'my van' home so I used to give it a quick blast on the rapid charger first thing.

On average we covered between 150 to 200 miles a day mainly in and around Guildford although we did have a few customers in out lying area's that dictated a blast up or down the A3, I tended to keep them in normal mode rather eco or sport ( yes they really do have a sport mode, not sure why as even in normal mode there b***** quick especially away from the lights...).

Incidentally Guildford is very EV friendly, public chargers everywhere, the local bus company have a fleet of electric buses even Guildford police have a couple of Tesla's and the local council are currently offering small businesses a 10k grant to switch to a electric van...

As a side note I noticed a lot of the under bonnet components where marked with the stylized 'T' used by Toyota.

Edited by paul 1963 on 24/03/2024 at 18:49

Electric Transit on trial - Adampr

We have a couple of electric transits at work. They're very tall. I never drive them, but we have several hundred vans and only the two electric ones, so that probably speaks volumes.

I think they make a lot of sense for lighter vans used in a small radius, but I can't see the sense for something bigger and longer range.

Electric Transit on trial - Chris M

"Incidentally Guildford is very EV friendly, public chargers everywhere, the local bus company have a fleet of electric buses even Guildford police have a couple of Tesla's..."

Well that's to be expected in Guildford, SURREY where £100,000 pa income isn't huge (according to Jeremy Hunt).

Interesting feedback Paul. Obviously EV vans can be made to work with small changes to the routine.

Electric Transit on trial - mcb100
Does anyone have any idea of the typical mileage an Amazon-type delivery van covers in a day?
I can see an electric van being suited to that role, with lots of stops and starts. Town/city mileage with lots of opportunities for regen, and no more leaving a diesel clattering away as the driver leaves goods on the doorstep and marks the job as ‘handed to customer’…
Electric Transit on trial - pd

Amazon did have a load of electric vans at one stage and I certainly used to see loads around in Essex.

However, they all seem to have disappeared so I guess they weren't very successful. They were all transits if I remember right.

Electric Transit on trial - Xileno

That's interesting now you mention it because I used to see Amazon electric vans around quite a bit but not now. I think they were a Chinese make which looked remarkably similar to Transits.

Electric Transit on trial - mcb100
Amazon partnered with Rivian to develop their own electric van - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivian_EDV -
I’ve not seen one near me - they’re usually Transits with very few straight panels.