PEUGEOT 2008 Allure 1.2L 130hp AT8 - New Peugeot 2008 - Am I in Denial? - Gabe

So I've spent a month with my new car and I have to say I LOVE IT. The car is relatively nippy, the automatic transmission very smooth and the build quality feels fantastic.

Having said that, I'm still dealing with comments like - 'what, you bought a French car? You're crazy.....' Am I simply in denial, or are reliability/quality issues still an issue with French cars. I've heard all the stories regarding the wet belt engine, etc but I plan to get it serviced by a Peugeot dealer yearly so I'm not overly worried about that.

Thoughts? Any of you own a 2008?

PEUGEOT 2008 Allure 1.2L 130hp AT8 - New Peugeot 2008 - Am I in Denial? - Bromptonaut

Daughter has an electric 2008 and son a petrol 208.

As a long term owner of Peugeot and Citroen vehicles myself I think the 'French Car' reliability thing is massively over done. Not fault free of course but 2 got well beyond 100k miles before having issues. After that one was clutch the other a fuel injector.

As regards the wet belt engine the issue and symptoms are well covered on the 'net.

PEUGEOT 2008 Allure 1.2L 130hp AT8 - New Peugeot 2008 - Am I in Denial? - badbusdriver

Thoughts? Any of you own a 2008?

At least one (though I think it is actually his wife's) and he is constantly singing its praises!. That is the last of the previous shape as opposed to the current one (mechanically the same though)

Is it new?, if not, how old is it?

If new or nearly new, you will have a warranty or part of a warranty to fall back on if the worst comes to the worst (not that I think it would). Otherwise, well yes the 1.2 Puretech did have some issues early on surrounding the "wet belt". But anything from within the last 4 or 5 years should be fine. Gearbox wise, no problems, it is a reliable torque converter auto which personally I'd have a lot more faith in than the DCT types favoured by most makes (and the old automated manuals Peugeot used in the past)

I also wouldn't pay much attention to folk making comments about it, it's your car, and you love it.

Thats all that matters!

Edited by badbusdriver on 24/03/2024 at 18:15

Thanks! Yes it's brand new :)

PEUGEOT 2008 Allure 1.2L 130hp AT8 - New Peugeot 2008 - Am I in Denial? - badbusdriver

Thanks! Yes it's brand new :)

You'll be fine then!

The current shape has been around since 2019, and it shares most of what is under the skin with the previous model, certainly the facelifted version of it, which came out in 2016. So everything is well honed and shouldn't give you any problems. But you do have the full warranty if needed.

So stop worrying about what others say and just enjoy your new car!

PEUGEOT 2008 Allure 1.2L 130hp AT8 - New Peugeot 2008 - Am I in Denial? - Adampr

Normally, the same people that obsess about French cars being problematic will also say 'you can't beat German engineering ' before getting in their Mercedes A Class, which is just a Renault Mégane.

If it's under warranty, I wouldn't give it a moment's thought.

PEUGEOT 2008 Allure 1.2L 130hp AT8 - New Peugeot 2008 - Am I in Denial? - Andrew-T

Having said that, I'm still dealing with comments like - 'what, you bought a French car? You're crazy.....' Am I simply in denial, or are reliability/quality issues still an issue with French cars.

It's a common form of prejudice or auto-racism, usually from the kind of person who says 'I had a French car once, a load of junk, I'll never have another'. Others will only consider German cars, some are happy in a Golf or a Passat but will not be seen dead in a Skoda, quite likely the same thing under the skin.

French cars have a reputation for electrical problems, but having owned about 75% Peugeots for the last 40 years I haven't experienced any snags except some caused by old age. Just base your opinions on your own experience, not other people's. And remember that some of those opinions are often based on a statistical sample of one. There have always been 'Friday' cars from all makers.

PEUGEOT 2008 Allure 1.2L 130hp AT8 - New Peugeot 2008 - Am I in Denial? - Big John

Since about 2022 1.2 has been a cam chain so no belt issue - avoid long life oil intervals though. Gearbox is torque converter auto - so all good!

www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/188362/what-are-...e-

Is this definitely correct? I've been told that my vehicle still has the wetbelt.

Edited by Gabe on 25/03/2024 at 04:01

PEUGEOT 2008 Allure 1.2L 130hp AT8 - New Peugeot 2008 - Am I in Denial? - SLO76
Not necessarily a good thing, Peugeot have a poor reputation when it comes to chain driven engines too. The 1.4/1.6 VTi motors they shared with BMW/Mini were murder for chain failures. Hopefully they’ve got it right this time. Just make sure it’s serviced by a main dealer and exactly on schedule to make sure the correct oil is used.
PEUGEOT 2008 Allure 1.2L 130hp AT8 - New Peugeot 2008 - Am I in Denial? - Terry W

Stellantis - the owner of Peugeot (+Citroen, Jeep, Vauxhall, Opel +++) had sales of 189bn Euros and 6bn vehicles.

Components are common across many of their brands. It is implausible they would accept unresolved failures - it is simply far too expensive - both financial and brand reputation.

Peugeot manage a middle ranking position in car reliability surveys, beaten (predictably) by Japanese and Korean brands, but ahead of premium motors including Volvo, Mercedes, Jaguar, Porsche.

That currently unsubstantiated brand prejudice persists possibly decades after the shortcomings have been addressed is a testament to consumer ignorance or stupidity.

Conversely, the premium brands over which many salivate, are more likely an overpriced indulgence rather than rational purchase.

PEUGEOT 2008 Allure 1.2L 130hp AT8 - New Peugeot 2008 - Am I in Denial? - Andrew-T

That currently unsubstantiated brand prejudice persists possibly decades after the shortcomings have been addressed is a testament to consumer ignorance or stupidity.

It's a well established fact of any business - good reputations are easily lost, and regained only with difficulty or the passage of time.

PEUGEOT 2008 Allure 1.2L 130hp AT8 - New Peugeot 2008 - Am I in Denial? - alan1302

It's a well established fact of any business - good reputations are easily lost, and regained only with difficulty or the passage of time.

Think Skoda are a good example of that.

PEUGEOT 2008 Allure 1.2L 130hp AT8 - New Peugeot 2008 - Am I in Denial? - John F

Is this definitely correct? I've been told that my vehicle still has the wetbelt.

Take the oil filler cap off and have a look. Wet belts are visible, and should be checked for appearance and width (1.6cm) every so often. We have a last of the old shape 2008, a 2019 Allure Premium 130 EAT6, and are still well pleased with it. Pay no attention to auto-racism, although the Peugeot tribe has always considered itself to be a cut above Renault's engineering and build prowess (the autobox is Japanese, Aisin, and is unstressed in this light car). However, modern auto-miscegenation has resulted in millions of these award winning engines now in many types of Stellantis sub- species. Just make sure the correct oil is used when changed. I don't trust garages not to use a jugful of their cheapest generic 0-30 rather than the pricier right stuff, so I always do it myself.

Edited by John F on 25/03/2024 at 10:58

Thanks - good advice

PEUGEOT 2008 Allure 1.2L 130hp AT8 - New Peugeot 2008 - Am I in Denial? - Steveieb

My partners Captur with the 1.3 engine has been mechanically faultless and apart from the occasional infotainment screen freezing it has changed my opinion of French cars. I would happily buy one.

How things have changed since Honest John almost caused a diplomatic incident in Bali for the launch of the Megane mk1 , when asked by the French Ambassador s wife, who was aware he was a motoring journalist , what he thought of French cars .

PEUGEOT 2008 Allure 1.2L 130hp AT8 - New Peugeot 2008 - Am I in Denial? - John F

...... Honest John almost caused a diplomatic incident in Bali for the launch of the Megane mk1 , when asked by the French Ambassador s wife, who was aware he was a motoring journalist , what he thought of French cars .

A wise man would have extolled the virtues of Bugatti - a stock reply which might also have pleased the German and Italian ambassador's spouses.

PEUGEOT 2008 Allure 1.2L 130hp AT8 - New Peugeot 2008 - Am I in Denial? - Steveieb

Prince Albert of Monaco is the smartest diplomat IMHO .

Being on the borders with several car producing nations he drives a Lexus so showing no bias !

Here most of the Cabinet and Royals are driven or drive Audis and Range Rovers .

PEUGEOT 2008 Allure 1.2L 130hp AT8 - New Peugeot 2008 - Am I in Denial? - barney100

I think the anti French car thing is overdone. Brother in Law has a 2015 Scenic and it's been fine. You see lots of old Citroen's etc around but still they have a stigma.

PEUGEOT 2008 Allure 1.2L 130hp AT8 - New Peugeot 2008 - Am I in Denial? - Terry W

Reputations live on long after they have become irrelevant.

The cars sold by most major manufacturers are mongrels :

• designed by multinational teams to meet the differing demands of consumers in countries around the world
  • parts sourced from factories globally located to minimise costs having regard for economic production volumes. supply chain logistics, import duties, taxation etc
  • assembled in a number of locations depending on more local demand and variants

It is entirely plausible that a car assembled in (say) Germany has parts sourced from China. Taiwan (IC), Poland, UK, India, Mexico etc etc etc.

Product quality probably now relates more to the performance of senior management and the way in which they communicate and drive the quality culture through their organisation.

Reputations live on long after they have become irrelevant.

Very true - e.g. pre BMW Rolls Royce - good, but not good (apart from its robust American gear box).....post VW Skoda - bad, but not bad.

Everyone I know who owns a French car loves it.

PEUGEOT 2008 Allure 1.2L 130hp AT8 - New Peugeot 2008 - Am I in Denial? - alan1302

Everyone I know who owns a French car loves it.

We love our French car...well I say French it's built in Portugal and badged a Vauxhall!