Diesel Auto Mid 2010s - Potatohead44

Hi all,

I'm looking for a diesel auto for motorway commute with a decent engine size, torque and MPG. I don't drive stupidly but would like the extra power on certain situations.

Initially looked at 2015 Mondeo but Powershift problems same with all cars using DSG autobox, then came across 2015 Mazda 6, auto box seems fine but 2.2 skyactiv engine has been awfully reviewed. BMW 320d.....not sure, seems timing chain issues and expensive to maintain. Anyone got any experience of 320d auto? Toyota or Honda might be the way to go but they seem to hold their value, therefore a bit out of my budget, all a bit of a minefield!!

Any suggestions for cars to look at round £10/11K with roughly 60-80K miles. Thanks

Edited by Potatohead44 on 26/03/2024 at 09:14

Diesel Auto Mid 2010s - bathtub tom

I'd say you're putting yourself slap bang in the middle of 'dodgy dealer' territory. Old auto, diesel, 2016-2018, 60-80K miles. Those were the four parameters a consumer affairs programme defined as creating the most customer complaints.

Your best long shot would probably be finding a private sale with owned from new and a sheaf of receipts.

Diesel Auto Mid 2010s - elekie&a/c doctor
Have to ask the question, do you really need a Diesel engine?

To be honest, probably not no. Just need a good return on economy, if there is a petrol alternative I'm certainly interested

Ok thanks, always been scared of private sales but if from new with full history I'm sure it could be OK.

Diesel Auto Mid 2010s - pd

BMW 320d isn't a bad shout although you could probably also get a 520d for the same money which is a nicer car.

Very reliable 8 speed auto and 2.0 diesel is OK as long as you check for timing chain noises and continue to service it regularly.

BMW 320d isn't a bad shout although you could probably also get a 520d for the same money which is a nicer car.

Very reliable 8 speed auto and 2.0 diesel is OK as long as you check for timing chain noises and continue to service it regularly.

I'll take a look. What's the difference between the 320 and 520? Do they both use same 8 speed auto and 2L engine? I also looked at the 320i but seems to lower MPG.

Diesel Auto Mid 2010s - Andrew-T

Ok thanks, always been scared of private sales but if from new with full history I'm sure it could be OK.

I think if a car is truly dodgy it will go via WBAC and reappear with the dodgy dealers mentioned above. Someone prepared to take the hassle of selling privately (presuming it isn't a trader masquerading) doesn't need to hide behind the dealer system.

I think if a car is truly dodgy it will go via WBAC and reappear with the dodgy dealers mentioned above. Someone prepared to take the hassle of selling privately (presuming it isn't a trader masquerading) doesn't need to hide behind the dealer system.

Interesting take on that, never really thought of it like that. I thought WBAC sold on Cinch but assume that's only the good ones!

Diesel Auto Mid 2010s - badbusdriver

I'm looking for a diesel auto for motorway commute with a decent engine size, torque and MPG. I don't drive stupidly but would like the extra power on certain situations.

This doesn't help any without knowing how big an engine, how much torque and how much power you feel you need for these "certain situations"?

A search on Autotrader using the criteria of, diesel, auto, up to 80k miles and your budget (and excluding insurance write offs) reveals the youngest offering to be a 2021 Peugeot 308 1.5 HDI with 65k miles. It has a top speed just shy of 130mph, a 0-62 time of 9.4 seconds and it musters a not inconsiderable 300nm of torque @ 1750 rpm. Now personally, I can't imagine any scenario (or if you like, certain situations) where that wouldn't be more than enough.

This doesn't help any without knowing how big an engine, how much torque and how much power you feel you need for these "certain situations"?

A search on Autotrader using the criteria of, diesel, auto, up to 80k miles and your budget (and excluding insurance write offs) reveals the youngest offering to be a 2021 Peugeot 308 1.5 HDI with 65k miles. It has a top speed just shy of 130mph, a 0-62 time of 9.4 seconds and it musters a not inconsiderable 300nm of torque @ 1750 rpm. Now personally, I can't imagine any scenario (or if you like, certain situations) where that wouldn't be more than enough.

I think that would probably be more than enough, I was thinking near 150ps and 1.6ish engine. Any experience with the 308 gearbox or engine?

Diesel Auto Mid 2010s - pd

I think that would probably be more than enough, I was thinking near 150ps and 1.6ish engine. Any experience with the 308 gearbox or engine?

308 from this era will probably have the "EAT6" gearbox which is OK but the EAT8 is better if you can find one in budget.

Don't in any circumstances but the earlier EGS6 automated manual.

Diesel Auto Mid 2010s - Andrew-T

I don't drive stupidly but would like the extra power on certain situations.

No-one admits to driving stupidly ! :-)

I don't drive stupidly but would like the extra power on certain situations.

No-one admits to driving stupidly ! :-)

No one admits it, but we all say it :)

Diesel Auto Mid 2010s - Adampr

Have a look at the Hyundai i40 and Kia Optima. Both fairly obscure, so better value than many. If you have someone to charge it and your commute isn't too long, the Optima is available as a PHEV, which might work.

A Vauxhall Insignia is the classic motorway basher. Plenty of ex-fleet ones around. Likewise, a Ford Mondeo hybrid has a CVT gearbox, so not as fragile as the usual Power shift.

Peugeot 508 RXH is a diesel hybrid (and 4wd if that's your thing). Volvo V60 twin engine is a diesel PHEV and might also be 4wd, I forget

Diesel Auto Mid 2010s - John F

....... auto for motorway commute with a decent engine size, torque and MPG. I don't drive stupidly but would like the extra power on certain situations. Any suggestions for cars to look at round £10/11K with roughly 60-80K miles. Thanks

That budget might buy a petrol 1.2 puretech (110 or preferably 130) EAT6 powertrain, found in various Stellantis cars (Citroen, Vauxhall etc....). Modern turbo engines do not need to be large to deliver impressive torque. We are well pleased with it (130) in our 2019 Peugeot 2008. A couple of weeks ago it did an 'economy' run, mainly motorway in 6th gear, cruise control at exactly 70mph, to B'ham Airport and back, around 100 miles. Number two trip computer registered 50.3mpg. (Number one trip measures long term mpg, mostly short journeys in lower gears, currently around 43mpg over c.6000 miles).