Rear brake lights - Andrew-T

Can anyone remember when pedal-operated brake lights became standard ? I recall learning, about 1960 I suppose, the hand signal showing I was about to slow down, so I suppose there may still have been vehicles without braking lights ?

Also those silly 'trafficators' which the driver forgot, and snapped off when he got out of the car ....

Rear brake lights - mcb100
The current generation of EV’s don’t need the pedal switch to light up the brake lights - under significant levels of regeneration, the brake lights are triggered by an accelerometer at c0.15G deceleration.
It’s one of the most frequently asked questions ‘If I’m using full regen to slow the car, do the brake lights come on?’ Yes, they do.

Edited by mcb100 on 26/03/2024 at 11:01

Rear brake lights - daveyjp
The current generation of EV’s don’t need the pedal switch to light up the brake lights - under significant levels of regeneration, the brake lights are triggered by an accelerometer at c0.15G deceleration. It’s one of the most frequently asked questions ‘If I’m using full regen to slow the car, do the brake lights come on?’ Yes, they do.

Same with vehicles with adaptive cruise control. On descents the car will use the brakes to stay at the set speed or maintain the set distance, but on gentle use the brake lights aren't activated.

On my vehicle the dash display shows when the brake lights are on.

Rear brake lights - John F

Can anyone remember when pedal-operated brake lights became standard ?

'Standard' or 'necessary'? Legally required in UK from 1936, according to this info from the Cornish Austin 7 club.....

www.austin7.org/Technical%20Articles/Stop%20-%20Ta.../

Rear brake lights - Terry W

The MOT was introduced in 1960 for all vehicles more than 10 years old and included lighting equipment - I assume this included brake lights.

It is worth noting that many pre 1936 cars were still in use post war and through the 1950s - domestic car sales were limited by steel shortages and the "export or die" policies implemented to pay off the huge national debt.

Rear brake lights - galileo

The MOT was introduced in 1960 for all vehicles more than 10 years old and included lighting equipment - I assume this included brake lights.

It is worth noting that many pre 1936 cars were still in use post war and through the 1950s - domestic car sales were limited by steel shortages and the "export or die" policies implemented to pay off the huge national debt.

My first car, bought in 1961 for £20 and used for 2 years till replaced with an A40 Devon was a 1936 Austin 10,

Cable brakes, slightly oval drums so randomly pulled left or right when you braked, kept you alert and taught anticipation.

Rear brake lights - Steveieb

One thing that older cars did have which was useful was effective reversing lights,either standard or ones you fitted yourself.

Ok rear view cameras are good to park but the tiny reverse lights are useless and I often end up putting the hazards on to see my way back along my driveway

Rear brake lights - John F

Looks as though we need to do similar imminently......

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_national_debt...g

......if not cars, missiles?