Fiat 500 - Is it worth fitting a kill switch/ immobiliser - Polo2008

As stated above, is it worth it to have a hidden kill switch of one form or another?

Just trying to prevent another theft occurring, intend to have a steering lock and alarm, also now have CCTV

I know they say if they want it they'll find a way, just trying to make it now difficult!!

Fiat 500 - Is it worth fitting a kill switch/ immobiliser - badbusdriver

Not sure I'd do it, I was always lead to believe that a visible deterrent is best and this clearly isn't. As you say, if they really want it, they will find a way. But if it is an opportunist, having a visible deterrent may well be enough to send them on to the next car.

What I would suggest is one of these small tracking devices you can now buy from the likes of Amazon. I'm sure I read of a case not too long ago about someone finding their stolen car thanks to something like the above which didn't cost very much (though be aware, you will need to pay a monthly fee of about £5)

The previous car was found however the interior was in a most disgusting state and unfortunately written off.

So tracking or not if it's taken chances are you really don't want it back because of the damage done including unseen damage.

There's no room for a post to be put in but generally looking for ideas to actually stop them moving the car... difficult one

It's all the heartache inconvenience etc but the most important thing here is the insurance which is your fault so pushing up and up each time.

Fiat 500 - Is it worth fitting a kill switch/ immobiliser - skidpan

It's all the heartache inconvenience etc but the most important thing here is the insurance which is your fault so pushing up and up each time.

Had a car stolen once. It was indeed inconvenient but the insurance company (Coop) did not class a theft as the owners fault and it did not affect my next premium plus no excess to pay. In fact the next years premium was lower at renewal.

When the car had been fixed it drove better than it did before.

Fiat 500 - Is it worth fitting a kill switch/ immobiliser - elekie&a/c doctor
I would think the best option is steering wheel lock , something like a disclok. Alarms are a waste of time , nobody takes any notice. Fitting a kill switch on a modern car is not easy . Complicated electronic systems make it difficult to access a circuit to prevent starting the engine.
Fiat 500 - Is it worth fitting a kill switch/ immobiliser - skidpan
Complicated electronic systems make it difficult to access a circuit to prevent starting the engine.

After mine was stolen I fitted one of these

richbrook.co.uk/product/discarnect-battery-master-.../

Simple to fit and did what it said on the tin. Probably easy to spot if an experienced thief looked under the bonnet but since most simply work at the wiring under the dash that is highly unlikely.

When fitted with the fuse the small consumers keep working but any attempt to start the car will fail as the fuse will blow (I tried starting the car a few times when I had forgot to replace the knob - car did not start). Worth carrying some spare fuses and buying a spare knob.

No definitely your fault these days, despite it being locked on a drive right under your window.

Back in the 80's our Cortina was regularly ' borrowed ' and returned with a full tank, always knew it was in a slightly different parking spot!

Fiat 500 - Is it worth fitting a kill switch/ immobiliser - Big John

was regularly ' borrowed ' and returned with a full tank, always knew it was in a slightly different parking spot!

That used to happen to me except returned with an empty tank - oh hang on that was my son!!

Back to the original question, years ago I fitted a battery switch to my kitcar with a red plastic key (+spare) - not sure it's a good idea with a modern car though unless it's just the live high current starter motor feed. I also designed a bespoke immobiliser that "read" the jaguar rocker switches (from xj6) on attempted startup - worked well for a year or so but discovered 74 series chips disliked the car environment and they started failing.

[EDIT] - switches still available:- www.amazon.co.uk/Isolator-Disconnect-Isolation-Eme...8

Edited by Big John on 28/03/2024 at 21:49

Fiat 500 - Is it worth fitting a kill switch/ immobiliser - Random

A Ghost could be the solution you're looking for. Mind you, not cheap.

www.carkeyssolutions.co.uk/vehicle-security-system...E

Fiat 500 - Is it worth fitting a kill switch/ immobiliser - Andrew-T

<< That used to happen to me except returned with an empty tank - oh hang on that was my son!! >>

When they were starting to drive, my younger daughter got quite proficient at leaving a couple of teaspoonsful in the tank for Mum. It was gently uphill to our house, which helped, but Mum usually went down next time, getting a few hundred yards.

Fiat 500 - Is it worth fitting a kill switch/ immobiliser - Bromptonaut

No definitely your fault these days, despite it being locked on a drive right under your window.

Do you mean theft reduces your NCD?

I'd expect that unless perhaps you'd paid extra to 'protect' it. Might also drive up the underlying premium as there are hot spots for theft.

Fiat 500 - Is it worth fitting a kill switch/ immobiliser - gcoe

Yes , protected however you don't earn bonus for that year.