Replacing my Audi Convertible - Stackman II

Sadly my Audi A4 convertible died last weekend.

The car was a 2009 final edition, one of the last A4 convertibles before the A5 came in. It had a 2.0 TFSi turbo petrol engine, good for around 200hp.

Last Sunday when returning from the coast an enormous "Oil Pressure" warning flashed on the screen. it started running rough and I manged to pull in to the car park of a Halfords.

I switched it off and went in to buy some oil in case the pressure was low because of the level. However when I turned the key it just clunked. My car was dead. I called the AA and the driver confirmed that the engine was seized.

I was quite sad. OK, it was 15 years ols had done 140,000 miles but was in pretty good nick, the roof worked fine and it was an enjoyable cruiser.

So after a suitable period of mourning I am looking for a replacement.

Looking for something similar, convertible or coupe but now want an automatic. I like the A5 but understand the multitronic gearbox is to be avoided, which leaves BMW or Mercedes.

Looked at a C class coupe and E class convertible over the weekend. The sad thing is that 4 years ago I paid £3,600 for an 11 year old car with 100,00 miles now I am looking at £7,000 for a 12-14 year old car, also with 100,000 miles.

Both cars had reasonable history but both were wearing budget tyres which was a bit of a red flag.

I will keep looking but would appreciate any suggestions. Budget up to £8,500 and located in North Dorset.

Replacing my Audi Convertible - elekie&a/c doctor
All these late bmw and Mercedes models have gone down the pan in terms of quality. Why not consider an earlier classic like a bmw e46 cabrio , with the 6 cylinder engine. Good ones available for less than your budget.
Replacing my Audi Convertible - barney100

I've got a 16 e class cabriolet and it's been pretty good. The quality isn't as good as the 80's stuff but it's not bad.

Replacing my Audi Convertible - mcb100
I think I’d be looking at a Lexus SC or IS convertible.
Replacing my Audi Convertible - Adampr

You will get a Vauxhall Cascada in better condition than a BMW or Merc within your budget.

Replacing my Audi Convertible - nellyjak

Depending on budget I think I'd consider the Lexus SC too...or maybe a nice Saab 9-3.

Had a Saab vert for a couple of years and loved it...very comfortable and the 2 litre LPT went very well.

As said, a looked after BMW E46 cabrio may well be worth considering but more risky.

Replacing my Audi Convertible - JonestHon
I think I’d be looking at a Lexus SC or IS convertible.

The SC is old, really old. The IS250 convertible is a rare car.

I own a standard 2007 IS250 and these are very well put together machines, however for a convertible i'd look at an MX5, nothing else.

Replacing my Audi Convertible - Metropolis.
A Lexus IS250-C would be the nearest equivalent Lexus. Should be able to find one with full main dealer history.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I looked at the Lexus convertible but it's not that quick or very economical.

The equivalent Mercedes is nearly 2 seconds quicker to sixty and about 10mpg more economical.

I have had two Saab convertibles but the latest ones are getting on and again aren't very economical.

I'm trying to get in to the 2010's as the cars from then are much more economical. Not that I do many miles but I only get 28mpg from the Audi and was hoping for better.

I did see a Cascada going through auction and it was a bargain. Unfortunately it was only the 1.4T so not really for me. An under rated car, I'm sure of it had an Opel badge we would think differently about it.

Replacing my Audi Convertible - badbusdriver

I would have thought that if considering a 10+ year old car which isn't to cover many miles, the importance of reliability should be of rather more importance than economy and performance (within reason). Put another way, if you had bought a Lexus IS250 instead of the Audi, you wouldn't currently be looking for a replacement out of necessity.

Also, are your mpg comparison based on official figures or real world experience from owners?. I ask because in the "real mpg" section of this website the Lexus gives better mpg than Lexus claim at 31.8 vs 30.7. Real mpg of the E250 is 28.7, less than the Lexis and a long way short of the claimed 42.2.

I'd also consider 0-60 in 8.6 seconds and top speed 86% higher than legally allowed in the UK as being more than sufficient!.

Cascada also available with a 1.6 turbo, though this would also (presumably) be nowhere near fast enough.

Edited by badbusdriver on 02/04/2024 at 14:35

Replacing my Audi Convertible - Ex Alfa mail

Fully agree with the Doc. Another vote for a BMW E46 six cylinder cabrio. We are now on our second. We bought the latest last year, a 330, and it is far better than we expected. To the point my wife and I "fight" over who gets to drive it. I'd forgotten how good that engine was, a real joy. As BBD points out, economy should not be a decisive factor. These cars are surely bought to enjoy. A suggestion though is to get a hard top too. We ended using ours through the winter and it does make it truly all season.

I have taken on board the wise words about the Lexus but there just aren't any available!

I have had an E46 coupe with the 2.5 6 cylinder and it was a lovely engine. The rear floor separated from the suspension, a common fault so I replaced it with a Saab convertible.

I know its a little puerile but I can't bring myself to spend what is a lot of money for me without getting something better than I have had before. So I do look at the performance and economy figures in the expectation of beating what I already have.

Edited by Stackman II on 03/04/2024 at 12:10

Replacing my Audi Convertible - Adampr

The easy way to get more power and better economy is to buy a diesel, but that's probably.nkt a good idea given the age and price point.

Do you need four seats?

Stackman there are 13 IS250C on auto trader, if you narrow it down to Lexus IS and then filter the body type to convertible. Not many but they are about and you might even find one on Lexus approved - they do sell older vehicles as approved used, I even saw an immaculate 1991 LS400 on there once!

I know its a little puerile but I can't bring myself to spend what is a lot of money for me without getting something better than I have had before. So I do look at the performance and economy figures in the expectation of beating what I already have.

Not sure I'd consider it puerile, but I do find it a little odd and amusing that your criteria on whether a car is good or bad (better or worse) is based solely on performance and economy. Whereas reliability, apparently, has nothing to do with it!.

Re economy, as I pointed out earlier, if you look at "real" mpg, the Lexus actually fares better than the Merc E Class convertible, at least in the case of the 250.

I might be able to understand the fixation on performance if this was an out and out performance car. But convertible versions of cars like these are not really, they carry too much weight (a result of the necessary strengthening) and aren't really stiff enough (a result of cutting the roof off losing a chunk of torsional rigidity). By their nature, they are better suited to a smoother and more relaxed driving style (which doesn't mean slow), where the soundtrack and power delivery of a creamy smooth V6 is (IMO) eminently preferable to a turbo 4.

I'd also understand the fixation on economy if you were doing big miles, but you say you wont be covering many.

So frankly, I'm a bit baffled?

It is always a case of head vs heart especially with a convertible.

Is there a potential middle ground here with an Infiniti?

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403137514024

Infinite have left the UK but I am sure the parent company Nissan dealerships would service it. I believe these are more Nissan than Renault, which is good!.
Ignore that one it had 11 owners! Other options on there, just search Infiniti G

Infinite have left the UK but I am sure the parent company Nissan dealerships would service it. I believe these are more Nissan than Renault, which is good!.

The Infiniti G37 has absolutely no Renault content and indeed the rest of the Infiniti range has very little Renault content. The Renault 1.5 diesel was available in the Q30 (think the other engines were Merc), and the Renault/Nissan 3.0 diesel was available in a few Infiniti models but I think that was about it.

Parts availability could prove tricky since the brand never really gained much of a foothold in the UK and pulled out in 2019/2020. Wouldn't be impossible as they are very popular in the US, but not very convenient.

Replacing my Audi Convertible - DavidGlos
Have you made any enquiries about either fixing the engine on your Audi, or sticking a second hand motor in it? Not an uncommon engine, so should be some used ones about?

If you’re happy with the rest of the car and are struggling to find a replacement that ticks all the boxes, it could be worthwhile.
Replacing my Audi Convertible - edlithgow

Hmm...while I take your point, as a categorical statement of fact

"Put another way, if you had bought a Lexus IS250 instead of the Audi, you wouldn't currently be looking for a replacement out of necessity."

seems pushing it a bit.

The OP, perhaps understandably, hasn't given us much detail on his engine failure, but there seems to be an implication that it might have been run low on oil.

I assume Lexii use, and need, engine oil too

Edited by edlithgow on 04/04/2024 at 02:26

I think what BBD is getting at is the Lexus is less likely to have had a mechanical issue, including using oil or low oil pressure if that is what happened. They are 400k mile engines if serviced on time.
Replacing my Audi Convertible - SLO76
Ruling out manuals does limit your options, as you say Audi don’t make the most robust autos so that would rule VAG products from my list. There’s a fair number of E class convertibles nearby in price but most are 220 diesels, which are a bit agricultural for a convertible, it’s the same engine as a Merc Sprinter van. But they’re capable of big miles if looked after. Quality isn’t what it was though and there’s plenty that’ll go wrong electrically and emissions control issues are common on the diesels.

I’m also assuming it needs 4 seats? If I wanted a reliable convertible I’d be looking for a nice Mazda MX5 Mk III, but autos are rare and it’s just two that can enjoy the fun, and they are brilliant fun.

I’d stick with petrol for reliability and refinement and take time to find a well cared for private sale car if you can. Meeting the owner face to face at their home is better than buying some auction bought trash some dodgy backstreet dealer is flogging with a warranty that’s next to worthless.

I haven’t checked Mot histories on any of these, and I’m not really recommending a prestige brand car on a tight budget, it’s not a safe bet as far as I’m concerned. But on the assumption that you can afford to fix it when it does go wrong or you can afford to lose the money if the thing explodes here’s my local finds.

Not Merc’s finest hour but this looks well cared for.
www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202308140760876

Greedy and ugly, high road tax too. But superb quality.
www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403247921066

Probably the safest bet. Silky smooth and bulletproof engine and will seat 4 in comfort. Very rare too. Just check that roof works properly.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403237895819

Edited by SLO76 on 03/04/2024 at 21:15

Not a bad list, pity the SC is getting old now although I would still consider it a viable daily being a Lexus.

If the aircon is ice cold on the CLK as the advert says it is, I will be absolutely amazed, I do not know who the oem is on their AC systems but they never seemed to work properly even when new! Still very nice cars though and the 180 compressor is a nippy engine.

Thank you all for your input.

It's a funny old business choosing a car, especially when you are an entusiast. I could buy any number of Astras, Golfs, Hyundis or Focuses for the money which would be newer and more reliable. But when I look across the car park at work at see it parked waiting for me at the end of the day I think a little bit of me would die!

My daily commute is about 8 miles so diesels are definitlely off limits.

This ticks many boxes for me...

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403227858312?a...8

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

It's a funny old business choosing a car, especially when you are an entusiast. I could buy any number of Astras, Golfs, Hyundis or Focuses for the money which would be newer and more reliable.

Don't think anyone is suggesting any of these?

This ticks many boxes for me...

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403227858312?a...8

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I don't have a great deal of faith in Mercedes build quality and reliability (exceptions might be something with a bigger lazier n/a engine) And while beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder, personally, I don't think it is a nice looking car at all.

Your money and your choice, but not for me.

Replacing my Audi Convertible - Alby Back
Can’t speak for that engine, but I’ve run two E Class estates from 0 to in excess of 200,000 miles each without problems. Not so much as an MOT advisory on either of them, ever.
Of course they aren’t cheap to fix if anything does go wrong, but in my case, they haven’t given me any grief.
Current one still looks and drives like new. I should probably change it, but for now anyway, it just keeps on being a very useful and pleasant thing to drive around in.
If that engine is the same compressor unit as was in previous CLKs, then it has been in use for a long time and should therefore be proven or at least a known quantity.

Mercedes suffered a downturn in quality in the late 90s to early 2000s, this would avoid that. It is not going to be as well built as the Lexus, but I would trust it over an equivalent BMW or VAG. The 5 speed auto gearbox is also quite solid.

You might get lucky!

If that engine is the same compressor unit as was in previous CLKs, then it has been in use for a long time and should therefore be proven or at least a known quantity.

The engine in this case is turbocharged rather than supercharged and is also GDI. But it does otherwise appear directly related to the earlier unit.

Some interesting choices, SLO76.

The SC430 is a lovely thing, used to see John Haynes (the manual guy) driving one so that would be a good endorsement. He could probably afford the fuel and tax better than I !

The IC250 is terrific. Just a shame it's more than I can afford and a long way away.

That Mercedes is a gem. Might take a deeper dive into it. Thanks.

Edited by Stackman II on 04/04/2024 at 15:45

Well, hopefully my quest is at an end!

Went to drive the ligh-blue E250 convertible at the weekend. It was quite nice.

Had all the things I wanted, covertible, good colour, light interior and automatic.

Did a deal at £6,750 including new MOT, service, couple of paint corrections and 2 new rear tyres. A lot of money for a car barely a year newer than the one it was replacing but hey-ho.

I know its a lottery buying this type of car at this age but I appreciate your wise words.

Wish me luck, quite excited about picking it up on Friday.

Replacing my Audi Convertible - SLO76
Thanks for getting back to us regards your final outcome. It looks like a nice car, I hope it gives you years of wind in the hair pleasure and not too many big bills. Private plate on it and everyone will think you’re loaded.
Replacing my Audi Convertible - barney100

I got a 220 E class 3 years ago and it's been excellent. Quality is good, not as bullet proof as times gone by but not much is.

Picked the car up on Friday and the sun was shining!

All the work had been completed including replacing the lower suspension arms at the front which were MOT advisories.

Dropped the roof, filled it with fuel and headed over the Sandbanks ferry to drive it home via Purbeck and the deligthful Dorset lanes. The car is terrific. Rides much more comfortably than the Audi - it has 17" wheels not 18" and I love the auto box.

The isolation from buffeting with the roof down is exemplary and with the roof up the car is whisper quiet. It's a great cruiser.

More miles over the weekend including a trip through the New Forest. Eventually managed to work out how to connect my phone to the system for audio playback so I can have my audio books again. Happy days!

One fly in the ointment is a musty smell from the air conditioning. I understand that this can be overcome by spraying disinfectant into the air inlets.

Would be grateful if anyone with experieince of such a problem could advise.

Replacing my Audi Convertible - Xileno

I had a Renault that was terrible for musty air con. At worst it smelled like a dead rat somewhere in the system. Run the heating on hot with aircon on to dry out any damp, a good drive of half an hour should do it. Otherwise there are those aerosol cleaners you let off in the car..

Replacing my Audi Convertible - Alby Back
Yeah, an “Air-Con bomb” should sort it.
Replacing my Audi Convertible - corax

There is probably mould on the surface of the evaporator. If the aircon is only turned off when the car is parked, the ice on the evaporator melts and leaves the surface wet. With no airflow from the fan to dry it out and warm weather it starts to create the perfect conditions for mould.

The best thing is a foam cleaner, they usually come with a long tube. If you can find the drain tube for the evaporator, you can either disconnect it or push the aerosol tube up it and spray the contents. It's the most effective way because you'll get the foam directly into the evaporator box, which will remove the mould and disinfect the area. The foam will also find it's way into all the vents, so don't use too much or it will start flowing out into the car. I use K2 Klima Doktor, it does a great job, has a nice lemon smell afterwards. I find that a can contains enough for 2 treatments.

If you can't find the drain tube or get to it easily, you can push the tube down the centre vents and reach it from there. An alternative is to remove the pollen filter and feed the tube down the vent until it stops near the evaporator box.

The aerosol 'bombs' that you let off are hit and miss, but you might get lucky, depending on how bad the problem is.

Edited by corax on 15/04/2024 at 11:27

I have been driving the car for a few weeks and am really enjoying it!

As far as fuel economy goes I am doing about the same number of miles on a tank as the Audi but the tank is 9 litres smaller. Working out around 30mpg which is an definite improvement. On a recent long run up the the BTCC at Donington Park it returned 36mpg.

Not stellar figures in the broader scheme of things but an improvement on the Audi.

Give it a few years and it will pay for itself!

Very impressed with the performance and refinement on the motorway and its stability and security in the wet.

I used an aerosol 'bomb' to sort the air conditioning smell and so far it is much better.

There is a small mesh screen between the rear head restraints to reduce buffeting with the roof down. Unforunately it greatly reduces visibiltyin the mirror so I removed it as per the instructions in the handbook. There is more buffeting but not uncomfortably so, so it will stay out for the time being.

So far it is ticking all the boxes and I am looking forward to the summer.

Replacing my Audi Convertible - Xileno

Good news about the aerosol 'bomb'. I found it effective on my Megane which had a tendency to develop a foul smell. Some cars seem more susceptible to these smells, possibly a badly designed air duct route where damp collects. Even in my elderly Focus the air con has never given any smell and still churns out cold air. Infact compared to some new hire cars I get through work I think the Focus is colder.

The warm weather seems to bring out occasional use cars, I saw a MIcra convertible today. Not a car I would want but I can't remember the last time I saw one.

Replacing my Audi Convertible - catsdad

HJ used to recommend something along the lines of running the AC to minimum for a few minutes (i.e, as cold as possible) then as hot as possible. It might be in the other order. Anyway I switch mine about for a few minutes as a precaution every so often, or if I pick up any musty smells, and it’s kept mine sweet.

As for Micra CC they are now rare with “how many left” listing about 850.

The older types of refrigerant were definitely colder!