Which car? - Jane My

Hi all.. i'm a female that sadly knows nothing about cars but i'm looking to purchase a new (or nearly new) car and so i'm after some recommendations!

I nearly bought a fiesta ecoboost but was advised against it by my mechanic and have since read about them and am glad I checked.

My current Hyundai i10 is sooooo basic that the windscreen wipers are either on or off, no electric side mirrors so I have to clamber over the passenger seat if i need to adjust it!

So I am now after a 5 door hatchback (petrol) with a few extras like the entertainment/sat nav display, air-con, proper boot (not a half boot) parking sensors.

Car sales men see me coming and make buying a car quite scarey and although I've been told to steer clear of cars with wet belts i thought i'd come on here for some friendly advise or recommendations. I only do about 5k miles a year (although i may do more if i have a nice shiny new one) :-)

My budget is up to £22k but it would be nice to have some change left over.

Even if no-one has reccomendations, can you please tell me what I should avoid and any questions I should be asking when looking?

Many thanks in advance

Which car? - badbusdriver

Plenty of brand new supermini's (Fiesta, Polo, Corsa, etc) available within a £22k budget. In the case of a Kia, that means a 7 year warranty if serviced within the dealer network. In the case of Toyota, that means 10 years if serviced within the dealer network.

If you are fine with automatic, that budget is just enough to get into a brand new Toyota Yaris hybrid, about as reliable a car as is available at any price.

If you want to spend a bit less and/or prefer manual, you can get into a brand new Dacia Sandero Stepway from under £15k. Standard warranty runs to 3 years but can be extended up to 7.

Re the i10, not sure what age yours is, but my Mother in law has one and it is loaded with extra's. Electric glass sunroof, power fold and heated mirrors, climate control, cruise control, heated seats and steering wheel, etc. As for the boot, well it is big enough for her needs (the dog).

Re the wet belts, on makes where this has been a problem (Ford with the 1.0 Ecoboost, Peugeot and Citroen with the 1.2 Puretech), this should be fine now, but you've a warranty anyway.

Which car? - Jane My

Thank you for your comments, that's interesting to know that the wet belt problem on new models should be ok. I did see one (20 plate) that was told had a chain but i'd got too nervous at that point so left it alone.

My local ford garage do a warranty deal for £200 a year which covers mechanical and electrical problems but didn't really want to buy a 2nd hand car for £15k and then pay annual warranty for peace of mind.

My i10 is an 09 model and no extras at all but has served me well until I decided to now treat myself :-)

Which car? - Adampr

There will be a number of good suggestions forthcoming, but a Toyota Aygo X will not let you down.

Which car? - Jane My

Thank you, I will have a look at that one, not heard of it before :-)

Which car? - mcb100
Do you have £22,000 in cash, or will you be doing what the majority do and financing the car? If this is the case, a more relevant figure is what you can afford/justify as a monthly payment.
The best deals, especially when new, will inevitably come with finance.
Find a dealership that isn’t part of a large PLC and one that has at least one female sales exec, if you find male sales staff intimidating.
Draw up a list of ‘needs’ and ‘would likes’ for features and stick to it. Remember you’re looking for a car for you, not what they want to sell you.
And don’t be afraid to walk away when looking at new if the deal or car isn’t right - if the dealer wants the business they’ll follow you up.
Which car? - Jane My

I have it in cash which is probably why the dealers seem to rub their hands together thinking i'll part with it easily :-)

That's a good suggestion finding a female sales person so thank you for that. Your other points are great too and much appreciated.

I have a feeling also that my local garage where I have always serviced my car are maybe trying to put me off buying a new car without warranty as they would lose my custom as I'd need to take the car to a garage that is the network of the specific make.

| found buying a house much easier than a car :-)

Which car? - mcb100
If you’ve got it in cash, have a look for any 0% finance offers - you may get a better deal on a car that way. Cash isn’t king when it comes to buying a new car.
Your money can be earning a bit of interest in your bank account whilst making 0% interest monthly payments.

Edited by mcb100 on 02/04/2024 at 16:05

Which car? - Jane My

Great advise, thank you.. i'll look into that :-)

Which car? - SLO76
A plentiful budget opens up many options. I personally favour Japanese cars for longterm reliability so I’d shortlist the following.

Mazda 2
Toyota Yaris
Suzuki Swift

The Seat Ibiza, VW Polo and Skoda Fabia with the 1.0 TSi petrol motor are all good news too. Of the three very closely related cars I like the Ibiza 1.0 TSi FR. It’s a bit sporty, it’s nice to drive, has plenty of kit and it’s cheap to run.

I’d still leave the Fiesta out, even though they’ve now changed to a timing chain. They’ve redesigned this flawed engine several times over the years and I’m not convinced they’ll ever make it into a robust design. It’s fundamentally flawed and while good to drive I just wouldn’t own one outside of the original manufacturer warranty.

For true peace of mind the Toyota Yaris comes with a 3yr manufacturer warranty which is then extended for another year every time you service it at a Toyota dealership. Not that they ever go wrong anyway.
Which car? - Jane My

I tried a Mazda 2 on the garage forecourt and it didn't start, when the salesman got his charger out and got it running it had already put me off but i will look at others, Looked at the Toyota Yaris so yep that's an option which I do like although takes me over budget if I chose anything other than white :-) and will look at the Swift next.

For previous cars of mine i've gone for 1.2L as the 1L don't have much umphhh.. Has that changed nowadays then as the majority of new cars I see are 1L

Thank you for your point on the Fiesta, i keep hearing of other issues with them so they have definitely been crossed off my list :-)

Which car? - badbusdriver

For previous cars of mine i've gone for 1.2L as the 1L don't have much umphhh..

Apologies, but this is very much slipping into the "I don't know much about cars" mode, looking only at the engine size and nothing else!. It isn't the size of the engine that matters, but how much power it has, how much torque (and at what rpm).

The 1.0TSI engine in both cars mentioned by SLO are turbo, so plenty of "umphhh" :-)

Here is a comparison between the higher of the two power outputs of 1.0TSI available in the Fabia and Ibiza next to the non turbo 1.2 you get in the Hyundai i10 for comparison

Power: (1.0) 110BHP @ 5000rpm vs (1.2) 84BHP @ 6000rpm

Torque: (1.0) 200NM from 2-3000rpm vs (1.2) 118NM @ 4200rpm

Edited by badbusdriver on 02/04/2024 at 17:40

Which car? - Jane My

No apology needed, I am glad I asked the question as your explanation has really helped. I just recall a couple of friends that have 1L older cars and we frequently joke about it being quicker to walk up a hill than being driven :-)

Your comparisons have been a great help, thank you :-)

Which car? - skidpan

Corsa, etc

Since the Corsa is made by the Sellantis Group it has the same potentially troublesome wet belt as the Peugeots and Citroens, not and engine I would choose.

But here is a suggestion that I cannot see anyone else has made. In April 2018 the wife had a new Skoda Fabia and she only replaced it 2 weeks ago after 6 years of totally trouble free motoring. It was still fault free and will make the new owner an excellent car for the foreseeable future. She only swapped it because the arthritis and nerve issues in her left hip makes using a clutch (in any car) ever more difficult so an auto was needed. First choice was another Fabia but the design of the handbrake location made it impossible for her to fully apply it (arthritis again).

We have bought 3 Skoda's via a Broker named Carfile.net and their dealer is excellent. Here is a link to their Fabia page

www.carfile.net/buy-your-car/skoda/fabia_hatchback...l

Our choice would have been the 116 PS version (ours was the previous 110 PS) but the 95 PS version is a fine car as well. Forget the 80 PS version since its underpowered if you plan to go out of town (the Fabia is not a light car). For the extra £500 above the 95 PS version not only do you get another 20 PS (and more important another 30 torques) but you also get a 6 speed box instead of the 5 speed, much better on motorways.

The 116 SE comfort is well inside your budget at just under £19,500, even the SE-L spec (the one the wife had) which has all the toys as standard is still below your budget at £21,000. Forget the Monte Carlo, its not worth the extra and the ride suffers on the ultra low profile tyres (which are also more prone to damage on our delightful roads).

All Fabia's have 55 or taller profile tyres which make the ride way better than cars with ultra low profile tyres.

Over the 6 years she ran the car it averaged a calculated 48 mpg and that was driving with no consideration for economy. On long runs to the coast it would average 60 mpg or even a bit more if there were no jams.

So what did the wife have. Its a Yaris. About the same price as the Fabia Auto but better equipped and came with the electric handbrake as standard. After 2 weeks its shaping up well but its got a very hard act to follow. Dash says its averaged 70.5 mpg so far. Performance seems fine and the CVT transmission is by far the best example of the breed I have experienced.

But if an electric handbrake was available on a Fabia there would be one on our drive now. They are that good.

Which car? - Jane My

Will look at the Skoda, thank you. The Yaris has come up a few times in the suggestions so i'm looking into that too.

I'm a bit wary about cars that are higher up as i'm only 5' so getting in and out of the car without a stepladder to hand may prove difficult haha

Which car? - SLO76
Wouldn’t be put off by a car needing a jump start after sitting on a forecourt or showroom. We regularly had to do it with cars new and used that had sat unused for a few weeks or months. It just needs used.

The Mazda 2 is fun to drive and uses a simple chain driven petrol motor with no reliability concerns. I’d take a test drive in one.
Which car? - mcb100
‘Mazda 2
Toyota Yaris
Suzuki Swift’

Going off topic slightly, the new model Swift is coming soon - I should be collecting one next Thursday for a couple of weeks, so initial impressions will be posted if anyone’s interested.
Which car? - SLO76
‘Mazda 2 Toyota Yaris Suzuki Swift’ Going off topic slightly, the new model Swift is coming soon - I should be collecting one next Thursday for a couple of weeks, so initial impressions will be posted if anyone’s interested.

Will be reading, I hope they’ve kept the fun in the mix.
Which car? - Graham567

How about a Kia Xceed. I have one and I love it. 7 years warranty.

This one has all the toys...

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402016107577

Which car? - catsdad

I see the Swift has been recommended and I agree it should be in your list. Related to that is the Vitara. It’s a size up but not a big car. My wife really likes hers (1.4 turbo 2020). She prefers it to my Golf and her previous Mazda 3. It’s reasonably specced in a no frills way.
It’s worth adding to your list and enjoys a 7 year warranty if it’s Suzuki serviced at a participating dealer (not all participate).

Which car? - Jane My

Yep, it's now on my list, thank you for the info :-)