mitsubishi lancer hatch petrol - replace car or refurbish - rhodi

I am 80 in a few months and would appreciate some advice. Car is a 2010 reg done 91k. well serviced by independent garage. various scuffs/marks/scratches, slightly battered on body. Drivers seat sagging, One headlight developing "crazed" glass. Needed to help with Grandchildren who live 20 miles away. Am considering a general but minor refurbishment including underbody treatment. Drives well but thinking of a possible change to one of the following used cars:

A. Ssangyong Tivoli, Honda Civic, Mitsui ASX, Toyota Auris/Avensis, Honda Accord. Open to any other suggestions. Am a mitsui fan and owned 9 Galants between 1982 and 2015. Budget max 7500.

B. If replacing will probably use a dealer as opposed to private or auction.

Any comments gratefully received and many thanks in advance

mitsubishi lancer hatch petrol - replace car or refurbish - Adampr

My advice would.be to stick with the Lancer. A second hand seat and a headlight should cost less than the dealer's margin on a replacement. I am not sure undersealing it would help at this stage. Unless done properly, you run the risk of trapping moisture in and rusting it quicker.

Nothing wrong with your suggested list, but I would consider Suzuki, Kia and Hyundai models too

My advice would.be to stick with the Lancer. A second hand seat and a headlight should cost less than the dealer's margin on a replacement. I am not sure undersealing it would help at this stage. Unless done properly, you run the risk of trapping moisture in and rusting it quicker.

Nothing wrong with your suggested list, but I would consider Suzuki, Kia and Hyundai models too

Thanks for the info Will also consider others mentioned as well John

mitsubishi lancer hatch petrol - replace car or refurbish - SLO76
Similar considerations to my mother recently. She had a 2009 Honda Jazz that needed a bit of welding for its Mot and we pondered spending money tidying it up. But when thinking of the safety of our young son in the car and Granny’s inability to cope with a breakdown I convinced her to upgrade to a newer Jazz instead. If like her money isn’t of huge consideration I’d upgrade. The Lancer tends to get a bit crusty underneath and it’s probably too late to really do anything about that. Parts are becoming an issue too since the firm left the UK, though service items are easy enough to find.

I used to sell Mitsubishi’s and was very much a fan of the brand in the 80’s and 90’s. Sadly it was struggling financially for years with only the finance arm of Mitsubishi bank keeping it afloat and investment in the products plummeted. The 90’s were the high point in my opinion, until 1996 when they introduced the Carisma and newer Colt. Both were a disappointment when we got our hands on the first examples, they just weren’t of the same quality previous models were.

Edited by SLO76 on 03/04/2024 at 18:08

Similar considerations to my mother recently. She had a 2009 Honda Jazz that needed a bit of welding for its Mot and we pondered spending money tidying it up. But when thinking of the safety of our young son in the car and Granny’s inability to cope with a breakdown I convinced her to upgrade to a newer Jazz instead. If like her money isn’t of huge consideration I’d upgrade. The Lancer tends to get a bit crusty underneath and it’s probably too late to really do anything about that. Parts are becoming an issue too since the firm left the UK, though service items are easy enough to find. I used to sell Mitsubishi’s and was very much a fan of the brand in the 80’s and 90’s. Sadly it was struggling financially for years with only the finance arm of Mitsubishi bank keeping it afloat and investment in the products plummeted. The 90’s were the high point in my opinion, until 1996 when they introduced the Carisma and newer Colt. Both were a disappointment when we got our hands on the first examples, they just weren’t of the same quality previous models were.

Thanks for the response. Of interest bought my first Galant in Germany, nickname there was "Japanese Rolls Royce" Collected from Rotterdam Port. Upgrade might be best John

mitsubishi lancer hatch petrol - replace car or refurbish - edlithgow

Keep it, obviously, if you can get the needed bits, Devil-You-Know etc.

You dont say anything about body corrosion. On a low value (I assume. Not current with UK prices) car it may not be worth pro treatment.

I would DIY with a motor-oil based concoction, removing the carpets for better access. In the UK I might splash out on/with some special stuff like Dinitrol or Ankor wax, not available in Taiwan. I dont personally like Waxoyl, the only special treatment goo I have experience with.

If you arent up for this (none of us are getting any younger) perhaps child labour would be a possibility, Water Babies stylee.

Waxoyl Babies?

Edited by edlithgow on 04/04/2024 at 02:09