Hyundai i10 Premium - Buying new petrol only - brj

Looking to buy new 2024 hyundai i10 1.2 petrol auto this month, ticks all the boxes except one. I'm concerned about the amt auto box, is amt any good or should I look at another make with cvt? I do not want a hybrid or electric car.

Edited by brj on 03/04/2024 at 16:15

Hyundai i10 Premium - Buying new petrol only - Adampr

I've never tried one, but everyone I know who has hated it.

Mazda 2 has a decent auto box, I believe.

I can sort of.understand not wanting an electric car, but a hybrid makes no difference to the driver other than a lower fuel bill.

Hyundai i10 Premium - Buying new petrol only - badbusdriver

I'm concerned about the amt auto box, is amt any good

We had a Suzuki Ignis with an AMT for three and a bit years up to last Oct. Based on that, the answer to your question is, no, not really!.

If just tootling about town at a relaxed pace, they are not too bad. If out on the open roads at a reasonable speed and taking manual control of the gear changes, again, not too bad. But in most other situations, including multi-storey car parks, they aren't great.

My Mother in law has an i10 Premium SE auto, but this was a late previous shape with the t/c auto. It would probably be slower and definitely less efficient than the new model, but all in all a much more pleasant thing to drive.

CVT is all well and good (and I am a fan as we had a Jazz CVT for three years before the Ignis, it was excellent!), but if you set aside (full) hybrids (as opposed to mild, MHEV), there aren't that many small cars use them. Post facelift (2020 on) Suzuki Ignis and Swift (including new model) use them, current shape Dacia Sandero and Sandero Stepway also use them but I'm struggling to think of any others.