VW Passat 1.5 auto 2020/1 Estate - Is this body too heavy for the engine - challenger54

Thinking of changing my Seat Ateca 1.5 fr evo auto for the above vehicle.What is this vehicle performance,does it compete acceleration with the Seat or is it a big sluggish given the weight and body size?

I have not ventured to the dealer as yet but I drove a 2019 VW Golf estate 1.5 evo auto about 18 months ago and it was lacking in power.

Thank you

VW Passat 1.5 auto 2020/1 Estate - Is this body too heavy for the engine - FiestaOwner

Thinking of changing my Seat Ateca 1.5 fr evo auto for the above vehicle.What is this vehicle performance,does it compete acceleration with the Seat or is it a big sluggish given the weight and body size?

I have not ventured to the dealer as yet but I drove a 2019 VW Golf estate 1.5 evo auto about 18 months ago and it was lacking in power.

Thank you

Never driven a DSG auto. However, the only 1.5 DSG available in both the Ateca and the Passat seems to be 150BHP.

The 1.5 DSG Golf has the option of both 130BHP and 150BHP. Did you perhaps drive the Golf with the lower power output?

I sometimes drive a Golf with the 130BHP engine (and a manual gearbox) and have never felt it lacking in power.

VW Passat 1.5 auto 2020/1 Estate - Is this body too heavy for the engine - skidpan

Test drove a 2020 Passat Estate 1.5 TSi DSG back in 2020. At the time we had a 2017 Superb Hatch 1.4 TSi manual which coped well considering its size so we expected good things. It was pretty much fine but had the problem I have noted on DSG boxes on other cars in that they are sluggish when pulling away and a bit hesitant when asked to overtake. Easy to sort, simply put the selector into sport.

Drove a Superb estate the next day that was mechanically identical and the drive was exactly the same.

Swapping from normal to sport was annoying since we wanted an auto to make life easier and dropped on a Superb IV, pre reg with 7 miles. Much livelier and no issue pulling away, bought it.

In August last year we tested a Golf 1.5 eTSi DSG (they have a mild hybrid bit but still 150 PS) when the wife was looking for a new motor. Always thought that the mild hybrid was a bit of a joke but in the Golf it totally eradicated the sluggishness pulling away and felt a bit sharper all the time (not sure if it had sport - different selector). Not sure when this was introduced but it would be my choice. We ordered one but the dealer let us down and we lost the VAG offer price so we never actually got one.

VW Passat 1.5 auto 2020/1 Estate - Is this body too heavy for the engine - John F

Our last Passat estate 2.0GL auto would be 30yrs old now. I doubt if it had much more than 110bhp yet it never seemed short of power for overtaking, even after passing the 200,000 mile mark. Anyway, overtaking is rarely possible these days on our crowded A roads, even with several hundred bhps. The big advantage of autos is that by gently but firmly flooring the accelerator (curiously referred to as 'kick-down') maximises the available grunt by instantly dropping gears to maximise power output, expertly changing up at the rev counter's 'red line'. Not advisable for regular use at traffic lights unless you don't mind renewing the front tyres regularly.

VW Passat 1.5 auto 2020/1 Estate - Is this body too heavy for the engine - badbusdriver

Our last Passat estate 2.0GL auto would be 30yrs old now. I doubt if it had much more than 110bhp yet it never seemed short of power for overtaking, even after passing the 200,000 mile mark. Anyway, overtaking is rarely possible these days on our crowded A roads, even with several hundred bhps. The big advantage of autos is that by gently but firmly flooring the accelerator (curiously referred to as 'kick-down') maximises the available grunt by instantly dropping gears to maximise power output, expertly changing up at the rev counter's 'red line'. Not advisable for regular use at traffic lights unless you don't mind renewing the front tyres regularly.

Such is the march of (so called) progress!. Performance which was once (correctly) deemed sufficient is now considered hopelessly slow, or to coin that well worn and nonsensical cliche so often wheeled out by motoring hacks, "glacial".

Your Passat had 115bhp @ 5400rpm and 166nm of torque @ 3200rpm, and would tip the scales at around 1250kg (maybe 150kg less than the one the OP is looking at). My Dad's Granada estate with 2.8 V6 had 135bhp (carb fed) @ 5200rpm and 216nm @ 3000rpm, but would be a wee bit heavier than the OP's. Despite this, and no doubt hampered by its 3 speed auto(!), it also wasn't considered a slow car by him or us.

The version the OP is looking at has 150bhp from 5-6k rpm and 250nm of torque from only 1500rpm (through to 3500rpm). It will do 0-60 in 8.5 seconds (both manual and DSG) and go on to 133mph.

Is it fast enough for the OP?, by the sound of it, probably not. But it certainly should be given the UK speed limit, the state of our roads and the volume of traffic!.

VW Passat 1.5 auto 2020/1 Estate - Is this body too heavy for the engine - Adampr

Isn't it the exact same drivetrain but in a car that weighs about 50kg more? I doubt you'd notice the difference.

VW Passat 1.5 auto 2020/1 Estate - Is this body too heavy for the engine - challenger54

Thank you for the replies. I have owned a number of VAG engines with the 1.5 semi auto so aware of the foibles and the earlier issue with kangaroo jumps.

The golf estate that I test drove was the 150bhp semi auto and difference between the Golf SV 150bhp that I owned at the time was quite noticeable.

Thank you for all the replies so far still considering if it is a good idea.

Edited by challenger54 on 07/04/2024 at 10:59

VW Passat 1.5 auto 2020/1 Estate - Is this body too heavy for the engine - skidpan

The golf estate that I test drove was the 150bhp semi auto and difference between the Golf SV 150bhp that I owned at the time was quite noticeable.

The difference between those 2 should be 1/2 of nothing.

Are you sure it was a 150 PS Golf estate? they made them in 130 PS TSi and also with the 110/115 PS 1.0 TSi.

For a difference that was "quite noticeable" it has to have had a different engine.

Get yourself a drive in another that has your preferred engine and don't take the work of the salesman, they lie you know.

VW Passat 1.5 auto 2020/1 Estate - Is this body too heavy for the engine - badbusdriver

Are you sure it was a 150 PS Golf estate? they made them in 130 PS TSi and also with the 110/115 PS 1.0 TSi.

For a difference that was "quite noticeable" it has to have had a different engine.

Get yourself a drive in another that has your preferred engine and don't take the work of the salesman, they lie you know.

Maybe it was in an "economy" mode?. Our Hyundai Bayon has 3 modes but defaults to economy every time you start the car. I don't usually bother changing it (unless in a hurry), but "sport" mode feels much livelier.

Maybe it was in an "economy" mode?. Our Hyundai Bayon has 3 modes but defaults to economy every time you start the car. I don't usually bother changing it (unless in a hurry), but "sport" mode feels much livelier.

Have owned 3 manual TSi's and none have had driver modes. Driven 2 auto's and as I said in an earlier post these have a sport position on the gears (pull it back all the way) which sharpens up the throttle and holds onto the gears, makes quite a difference. But when in sport I never did find them selecting 7th gear which probably costs fuel.

The Superb IV has several driver modes and when you select "boost" it goes like a rocket. Basically you get full ICE and full electric when you press the right pedal, only found I need to use it when pulling onto certain dual carriageways with short slips. Its nice having it.

Had a Nissan Note DIG-S that had a choice of ECO or normal. Tried it in ECO and it nearly killed us (but the dash went a nice shade of blue). Car was no rocket ship but it was safe in standard.

New Yaris has selectable modes as well. Defaults to "normal" and that is all we have needed so far. Might try sport one day but ECO can stay locked away fro any future owner.

Kia Ceed had a "go faster" button under the throttle. Many owners thought it gave you extra boost and all sorts of magic dust came out of the exhaust. In truth it was only a plastic "spring" that stopped you getting full throttle if you did not press really hard, no wires, nothing. As with most things its in the manual. In the real world you only needed to go past the "spring" a few times a year.

VW Passat 1.5 auto 2020/1 Estate - Is this body too heavy for the engine - Metropolis.
Drag racers use (or did use) 3 speed slush boxes, the TH400, doesn’t hold them back!

OP, it is quite a small engine, smaller than I would consider (a whole other can of worms!) but I doubt you will notice much difference between it and your current car.
VW Passat 1.5 auto 2020/1 Estate - Is this body too heavy for the engine - Manatee

>>Drag racers use (or did use) 3 speed slush boxes

Fluid torque converters act as a torque multiplier, which is an interesting concept and very useful in the initial phase of acceleration. 3 speed or even 2 speed autos could be very easy to live with as long as you didn't care about efficiency.

In D, the DGS's get into 2nd almost immediately unless in sport mode. Our Popemobile (1.2 TSI 105 DSG with the DQ200 dry clutch version) can be impressively nippy. The turbo helps not just with max power but much better low rpm torque. I'd expect the Passat with 150bhp (irrelevant unless it is being caned) and a turbo will be more than adequately lively.

Of course it depends on expectations. Some people are convinced that commuting and the school run require 300hp..

VW Passat 1.5 auto 2020/1 Estate - Is this body too heavy for the engine - John F

Our last Passat estate 2.0GL auto would be 30yrs old now. I doubt if it had much more than 110bhp yet it never seemed short of power for overtaking,.....

Such is the march of (so called) progress!. Performance which was once (correctly) deemed sufficient is now considered hopelessly slow, ....Your Passat had 115bhp @ 5400rpm and 166nm of torque @ 3200rpm, and would tip the scales at around 1250kg .

Indeed - stasis, not progress! Its much loved predecessor, the GL5 estate (manual), would now be 41yrs old. It also was 115bhp, I think. In those relatively uncrowded camera-free roads it would lope along in its high top gear over hill and dale to and from our Cornish holiday destination at a relaxed 80-85mph.

VW Passat 1.5 auto 2020/1 Estate - Is this body too heavy for the engine - SLO76
Can’t imagine that it’ll be sluggish, but it’s all down to your own needs and wants. It would be more than quick enough for me. Go on a decent test drive in one to rule it in or out. The Passat with this engine is on my shortlist.
Can’t imagine that it’ll be sluggish, but it’s all down to your own needs and wants. It would be more than quick enough for me. Go on a decent test drive in one to rule it in or out. The Passat with this engine is on my shortlist.

Update Went on a test drive and found the vehicle a bit slow and slower than my current 1.5 evo TSI auto. In addition I noticed that the top suspension joints were creaking have had previous experience of this issue. Decided not to proceed.

Perhaps your current car has been mapped, was it bought new?