seater or large SUV ? under £3000 ish - Bill940

Looking for a used 7 seater for under £3k. its a 2nd car, and the 2nd rear row of seats will very rarely if at all BUT allows a big , HIGH boot for my 3 alsations ( Yes 3.. one is small though )

We had an old discovery which was ok but engine died. As per a couple of other posts on this forum we too looked at estates but they are surprisingly low in terms of boot height.

We would consider a 4x4 as per the discovery. I am guessing we will do about 6,000 miles a year will be mainly driving locally and maybe within an hour of home.

We have already been to a few garages and seen a few SUV/MPV's but we've no idea whats going to cost us an arm and a leg to keep going

I know diesel engine can be a bit funny for short journeys but if we could find one without a DPF then I would consider that also as we are likely to give it a blast every week or so.

We have thought about the following

VW Sharan ( petrol or early 1.9 / 2.0 tdi )

VW Touran ( petrol or early 1.9 / 2.0 tdi )

Mazda5 ( Petrol )

Ford S-Max ( Petrol )

..Maybe Vauxhall Zafira ( petrol or diesel )

Sorry if this repeats some of the questions asked before but the other posts seemed a bit different

cheers

seater or large SUV ? under £3000 ish - Adampr

Your list looks reasonable. Bearing in mind that anything you buy for less than £3k is going to need quite a lot of upkeep, I would go for a Ford or Vauxhall as they're cheaper to fix. Stick to petrol.

If you see a good one nearby, you could also look at. Chevrolet Orlando, which is essentially a Zafira underneath.

Thanks.. so is the Mazda5 expensive to fix if things go wrong ?

seater or large SUV ? under £3000 ish - badbusdriver

Thing is, pretty much any £3k car is going to be a bit of a lottery to some extent and finding a worthwhile buy is as much to do with luck as anything else. In some ways, its tempting to suggest you get another engine for the Disco if there isn't much else wrong with it(!)

May not affect you, but if you happen to be near a current or iminent ULEZ, getting an older diesel may not be wise.

Otherwise, you just need see what is available within a distance you'd be willing to travel. No point ruling anything out which could fit your needs, condition is more important (within reason) here than make or model. Check MOT history carefully and (if there is any) service history.

wont be near any ULEZ luckily

seater or large SUV ? under £3000 ish - Xileno

I would be looking at a private purchase at this end of the market. Anything at a dealer has a high probability of being valeted junk with a warranty not worth the paper its written on.

seater or large SUV ? under £3000 ish - Steveieb

How about a Ford Galaxy, VW Sharan, Seat Alhambra with the legendary VW 1.9 PD engine.

Amazing fuel consumption, no DPF , lots of available parts .

seater or large SUV ? under £3000 ish - gordonbennet

If you arn't going to be carrying passengers, and intend lowering the rear seats too for more room, then i'm going to suggest Forester up to 2008, model known as the SG5 or SG9, the square one, that square shape dictates to a square boot area.

We use the boot area alone in ours which gives plenty of room for our two cockers (one large male) and our female Viszla, we also sometimes put a whippet in there too when she comes to stay with us, the roof line is reasonably high and with the rear seats down the area is surprisingly large for a relatively small vehicle, more room than you would expect.

They are generally reliable but as with many cars try and avoid those which have lived in Scotland and the North due to excess salting causing underbody corrosion.

Not great on fuel it must be said due in no small way to the full time 4WD system.

Edited by gordonbennet on 07/04/2024 at 20:09

Thanks

I thought Subarus were expensive to fix and parts ?

I think I did look for a few but they were all rot boxes ?

Thanks

I thought Subarus were expensive to fix and parts ?

I think I did look for a few but they were all rot boxes ?

If the heads need to come its an engine out job, spark plugs are 'awkward' but if you undo the two bottom engine mount bolts and jack the engine up it makes the job a lot easier, generally Japanese made cars are good to work on and these are built like cars used to be, ie bolts tend to come undone rather than sheering off, they are reliable and durable if serviced normally.

Friction materials and general aftermarket parts are quite standard and cheap enough, best avoiding the turbocharged models they tend to be more complicated and a drink problem as well as punitive VED rates.

Rust can be an issue (many, as with Landcruisers, started their lives in Scotland and like almost all cars from that area rust prematurely), ours doesn't have that problem but its a low mileage southern cars and i rustproof all our cars regularly.

thanks... find me a good one lol

here you are ebay 285774765866

Slightly over your budget but should accept an offer.

MOT history very good, might be worth asking for a few underbody pics (rear subframe area mostly) if you're at all interested...no its not mine:-) nor do i know of the car or seller.

Interesting question for all ? - Bill940

This will be interesting to see what answers I get to this !!

IF you had the choice would you buy this

www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1104123287573522

part service history, 6 months MOT. Last six months had New NSF drive , New front discs and pads, New power flex wishbone bushes, New aux belt and tensioner, New alternator pulley, New engine mounts all around

He says he will sell it for £2900

or

www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1712864232539585

12 months MOT . Will sell it for £3500

Now cogitate

Interesting question for all ? - Adampr

If I had a gun to my head I'd buy the Volvo because I know the Hyundai is rusting.

Given the choice, I wouldn't buy the Volvo either because there is too much to go expensively wrong. Kind of depends on how long you want to keep it and how lucky you feel .

So funny..thanks

There is so much c**p out there. I have spoke to so many people on facebook, autotrader, pistonheads etc and they all describe their car as great and then when I delve into the MOT history and the cars history it all falls apart !!

I think am going to widen the field to 5 seaters with bigish ( high 79cm+ ) boot... that would even include a ford focus estate

Of course by widening the field I am giving myself more of a headache...

I once went to see an Alfa GTV described as 'perfect, no expense spared'. It had four different tyres, three of which were bald, the coolant tank was bone dry, the wing mirror was hanging off and the alarm went whilst driving. The guy went nuts when I said I wasn't going to buy it.

If I were you, I'd look at private sales within ten miles on Auto trader and eBay. £3k is next to nothing these days, so don't bother looking for a 'bargain', just something basic and honest.

Interesting question for all ? - badbusdriver

Not sure exactly where you are, but using roughly half way between those two FB cars as a base point, found a couple of Autotrader cars worth looking at (IMO). Just looking at fairly basic and petrol engine, stuff like that XC90 and Santa Fe are very unwise at this budget IMO.

1 owner full history Zafira wit excellent MOT history 202310283434590

Another Zaf, bit cheaper, 2 owners, MOT history not as good as the first, but nowt to worry about 202404078389057

Ford Galaxy, MOT history not brilliant and maybe hints at neglect and/or hard driving. But current MOT has no advisories and they are pretty robust 202403187698050

Mazda 5. Not being mechanically minded, I'm not sure if blue smoke noted in 2020 and exhaust readings the following year are a concern, but these things are generally very reliable 202311284363095

Kia Carens, well under budget, decent MOT history 202403097397939

Thanks for spending the time on that..I think you are right..

I dont need to overcomplicate things..stick to simple tried and tested petrol engines

Would you trust any of them ( based on what youve heard of course ) to take my family to cornwall once a year

I am guessing that the 1.6 zafira 'might' struggle with 4 adults and 3 dogs on board ?

thanks again

Would you trust any of them ( based on what youve heard of course ) to take my family to cornwall once a year

These are all fairly simple and reliable cars, so assuming no underlying problems, I would trust any of them to do so.

I am guessing that the 1.6 zafira 'might' struggle with 4 adults and 3 dogs on board ?

Depends on what you mean by struggling, and your expectations?. Thanks to the average modern family car having much more power than they ever used to (and arguably need), people look at something like the Zafira 1.6 and assume it wouldn't be able to pull the skin off a rice pudding. But that is now, and you don't have to go that far back in time when it simply wouldn't be a question.

I'm of an age where as a youth, the Ford Cortina was one of the most common and popular family cars. The most powerful version of which (in the UK anyway) had the same 115bhp as the Zafira 1.6 (from a 2.3 V6). Engine options started with a 60bhp 1.3, but most common would have been the 73bhp 1.6. Even if you skip forward a generation to the Sierra, the most common version of that towards the end of its life would have been the 90bhp 1.8!

Will a Zafira 1.6 accelerate as quickly as you want it to?, no. Will it be able to climb hills as quickly as you want?, probably not. And you will certainly have to plan single carriageway overtakes carefully.

But, is it reliable?, yes. Will it sit happily at the UK legal limit?, yes.

You have around £3k to spend which, in the current market is very little indeed, so simplicity and reliability is key. Surely your arrival in Cornwall taking a wee bit longer is more desirable than you not arriving due to your cheap and knackered 200bhp turbo diesel engined SUV having expired at the side of the road?

If you look at whatcar it says the Vauxhall Zafira has a very poor reliability record.. is that just one websites opinion or is it justified ?

If you look at whatcar it says the Vauxhall Zafira has a very poor reliability record.. is that just one websites opinion or is it justified ?

A lot of these websites could be accused of scaremongering!. Is a £3k Vauxhall Zafira going to be 100% reliable?, highly unlikely, but you could say the same about any £3k car. But how do you think the parts prices will compare between a Zafira and an XC90?. Do more than glance at the headlines and you will find that the Fiat diesel's are the most likely culprits for engine unreliability.

But it needs to be emphasised again that this on nobodies idea of an ideal buying situation. We are basically talking about banger money here. Unless you can come up with a heap more money, it is always going to be a compromise and there is always going to be a degree of chance/luck involved.

As usual , honest sensible advice ..thanks

I saw you mentioned the galaxy, what about the s-max petrol is that worth a punt aswell ?

I saw you mentioned the galaxy, what about the s-max petrol is that worth a punt aswell ?

Yes, but as I said, my search was based half way between the two FB cars you linked and within 70miles of that point. There were no S-Max's (at least none that were petrol and weren't insurance write-off's)

S-Max is exactly the same under the skin as the Galaxy, just a little less practical due to its lower roofline.

Actually, thinking about it, there may have been an S-Max with the 2.5 turbo(!). But I'm not away to change the search postcode from my own again just to look for that ;-)

Interesting question for all ? - Xileno

A work mate had the 2.5 S-Max, it's the five cylinder Volvo engine. Strong performer but very thirsty.

On Fords of this age then check the MOT history carefully for rust underneath.

Ok..I took a look at the SMax and Galaxy and surprise..too big

Took a look at each a few others and got down to a weird but actually interesting list

- 2007 Vauxhall Astra 1.8i 16v Design Estate , FSH, MOT, mechanically excellent - £1350

- 2014 Dacia Duster 1.5 dCi Laureate 4WD 115k , fsh, 12 months MOT £3,790

- 2005 Volkswagen Touran (pre-dpf) 1.9 TDI SE 106k fsh, 12 months mot £1,895

I guess going cheap, if it blows up in 12 months then its cheap motoring ?

thoughts ?

Interesting question for all ? - Xileno

What is the Astra's mileage? I think it would be my choice but check when the cambelt was done.

Cant really give an informed opinion on any without seeing the MOT history and some pics.

But because it is the cheapest and (mechanically) simplest, I'd probably also be swaying towards the Astra.

Assuming it's this Astra, it has quite a chequered MOT history. I would.want.to be certain that all the work that has been done (assuming it has actually been done - check the receipts) has resolved the issues rather than it being the case of the seller now deciding to cut their losses.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403137501426

And assuming it's this Touran,.it will probably get you to the next MOT, but it's quite tatty and sounds like a rustbucket

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404058326182

What a terrible ( could have been worse ) few days !

I decided on a a touran.. so found one on autotrader I thought was ok for the money, not too far away and I was about to put a very small deposit on as he said he had 5 people waiting when I received a reply on a fb group I was in about him and that the same car has been advertised for over a month and someone had gone to see it..surprise the MOT wasnt too bad from December 2023 but since then there were a list of faults as long as your arm not mentioned on the advert !.. he was well known... ah well strike that one

Then a saw a dealer advert , MOT seemed very good, less than £3k for a 1.9tdi touran. Dealer seemed nice and said he would deliver it for a small charge ( it was 150 miles away )..so I stupidly put a £95 deposit ( supposedly refundable ) down and then a few hours later he said he would charge £350 delivery !.. anyway I politely said I wanted to cancel the sale and now he says he told me the deposit was not refundable and basically I can twizzle. So lost £95 pounds

People on various groups have been really nice suggesting estates for my dogs but the ones suggested all have quite low boots. It would be unfair to have the dogs in anything less than 76cm height

..and I really think ( with the exception of maybe the 1.9tdi pd engine of the VW Passat ) I need to stick to petrol

..so back to the drawing board.. looking at Zafira, Focus Estate,Passat Estate, Astra Estates now to see what I can find

seater or large SUV ? under £3000 ish - Warning

My father had a Zafira 1.6 Petrol. It was a reasonably good car. You should be able to get a good deal. A few niggly issues, but nothing major. The tyre is on the underside and it was stolen.

I liked the Mazda 5, with had a sliding door. It on my shortlist, but it was hard to find good examples. At £3k, even harder.

I've taken everyones advice and widened the net in terms of cars but also stuck to local ( within 40 miles ) and came up with this list once I checked the MOT's etc

Thoughts ?

ford c-max

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403177671822

Renault Kangoo

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403147569065

Vauxhall Astra

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402176684284

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401265933726

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404128574625

Ford Focus

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402076344549

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202311244244784

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403077297308

Kia Carens

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403097397939

Kia Ceed

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202310303479298

Peugeot 308SW

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404068363968

Vauxhall Zafira

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401095395688

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403278029854

Toyota Avensis

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403227870479

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401275947702

Truly baffled as to why you'd be considering a Kangoo with a wheelchair ramp, cant see that being very comfortable for the dogs?

The Carens is the one I linked ten days ago!. The one owner Zafira I linked is also still for sale (so the price may be negotiable)

The 308SW is gone, but I'd be avoiding that anyway under the assumption that it would have the troublesome 1.6 "Prince" engine.

Cant help also noticing that most of these are being sold by dealers, which is to be avoided if possible at this price point due to them looking to make a profit out of a cheap car. Take that C-Max for example, dealer is selling it for £1800, how much do you think they paid for it as a trade in?. It is pretty scruffy looking and you can't check MOT history due to plates being covered.

Speaking of which, have you looked up the MOT histories of these cars (those that you can anyway)?

Sorry, I should have qualified some of those

The kangoo was more on principle.. are they ok

Yes the Carens and Zafira are the ones linked, they are still for sale and for obvious reasons I was wondering why ?

Thanks for the advice on the 308

Re dealers, my wife and I went to two private sellers ( a zafira and focus, not on the list ) and the adverts they posted were mainly lies when we went to see the cars so just a but reticent thats all

I did look up most of them I think

cheers

The kangoo was more on principle.. are they ok

They are fairly simple, basic and fundamentally sound, If memory serves, the n/a 1.6 petrol was only offered as an auto, manual choices would have been 1.2 or 1.4 petrol. But the main problem is going to be finding one which hasn't been adapted for carrying a wheelchair user. Same applies to the first generation (up to 2008) Citroen Berlingo and Peugeot Partner which, with the n/a 1.4 and 1.6 petrol engines, are fine (if basic) choices. We actually got a new Peugeot Partner as a family car in 2002 and loved it. I would have went for the 1.9 diesel (which is a legend in terms of reliability and longevity) but they didn't have in stock, so we got the 1.4 petrol instead.

Yes the Carens and Zafira are the ones linked, they are still for sale and for obvious reasons I was wondering why ?

Well first, ten days isn't actually that long so no reason to be suspicious. But in the case of the Zafira, the price is above average, probably the seller is trying his luck because of the low miles (for its age), MOT history and it being one owner car. But the kind of buyer looking for something like that (an ageing MPV rather than an SUV/Crossover) is going to be looking for a bargain rather than necessarily the best example they can find.

Re dealers, my wife and I went to two private sellers ( a zafira and focus, not on the list ) and the adverts they posted were mainly lies when we went to see the cars so just a but reticent thats all

With regards to any cars for sale, (unless the car was located very locally) I wouldn't even go to see it without having seen a good selection of pictures and had checked its MOT history. Not sure what kind of lies you are talking about but something like "condition" is vague and very much open to interpretation, that is why you check the MOT history, to ee if there is anything lurking which should alarm you (as opposed to faded and/or mismatched paint, dents ((within reason)) and a dirty interior).

When it comes to dealers of low priced cars, as mentioned, they are trying to turn a profit out of automotive dross they will have bought at auction or taken as trade in. They will offer you some kind of warranty which, in reality, isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

There is a well worn cliche when it comes to used car salesmen:

1, All car salesmen are liars

2, All car salesmen are liars

3, See points 1 and 2

;-)

Thanks for the advice

seater or large SUV ? under £3000 ish - Adampr

It's fairly common for 'private' sellers to be traders trying to get out of their legal responsibilities. Gumtree and Marketplace are rammed full of them. It used to be standing advice to call and ask about 'the car' to weed them out, but it's much harder when it's online. Marketplace is pretty easy - just see if they have any.other cars for sale as a starter.

Sometimes it's worth checking things like the local paper or shop windows for cars being sold by people who aren't quite in the current century. If you know a good independent garage, they sometimes know if someone's looking to sell. In my village, the indie garage does all the repairs for one of our local traders so is able to give background on all their cars.

As a cheap 'last me 18monts' type buy can I throw a curved ball ?

www.motors.co.uk/car-69889198

..Can t wait for the responses to this !

seater or large SUV ? under £3000 ish - SLO76
Wasn’t a good effort from Mercedes. Loads of electrical and basic quality control problems. Hopefully later models of silver Merc estates are much improved.