Ford Focus - Advice on potential new car - CJ15

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of buying my first car and looking for a bit of guidance as to whether the one I'm looking at is good. I don't know anything about cars, just that low mileage is better.

The car I'm thinking about getting is: https://www.cinch.co.uk/used-cars/ford/focus/details/65121f79-8643-40a8-9fc5-8816c0c92904

All (kind) advice/thoughts welcome.

Many thanks,
Christine

Ford Focus - Advice on potential new car - Adampr

That's an entirely reasonable choice. Many on this forum will warn you about the Ford Ecoboost engine. They have quite a poor reputation, although they are so widespread that you are bound to hear bad things.

If you're open to other options, many here would be happy to make suggestions. If you can provide information on budget (£15k?), how far and how often you drive, how many seats you need, whether your journeys are predominantly motorway or city etc there will be lots of ideas.

Ford Focus - Advice on potential new car - CJ15

Thanks for your advice.

I need to do PCP so budget up to £250 a month, 10,000 miles per year max and mainly town driving but occasional motorway. Need a big boot for groceries, dog etc and ideally a 5 door. I quite like Ford Focuses just because they seem to be reliable but not wedded to it.

Thanks!

Ford Focus - Advice on potential new car - SLO76
There have been too many horror stories relating to this engine to recommend it, despite this being the latest version which has seen several redesigns to try and sort it. Ultimately it’s known in the trade as “Ecoboom” for good reason.

The Mazda 3 is similar size and just as nice to drive yet suffers none of the engine issues that are common to the Ford Focus Ecoboost.

www.cinch.co.uk/used-cars/mazda/mazda3/details/4a6...8
The Seat Leon is a worthy also. The engine may be a 1.0 turbo similar to the Ford, but they’re known to be robust. VAG have so much faith in this engine that they put it in everything from the tiny VW UP! to a full sized family estate like the Skoda Octavia.

www.cinch.co.uk/used-cars/seat/leon/details/3ebed0...0
The Skoda Scala is another decently spacious car with a far better reputation for reliability than the Ford.

www.cinch.co.uk/used-cars/skoda/scala/details/94e5...0
Ford Focus - Advice on potential new car - elekie&a/c doctor
This focus has the later type engine with chain drive camshafts. However , it still retains a wet belt for the oil pump drive . So still some degree of unreliability here .
Ford Focus - Advice on potential new car - Xileno

Why didn't they finish the job and do the oil pump drive with a chain?

Ford Focus - Advice on potential new car - John F

Mrs F replaced our excellent 20yr old Mk1 Focus estate with a 2019 Peugeot 2008 1.2 puretech EAT6. If bang up to date image is not a problem, there are bargains to be had with the 'old' shape pre 2020 Pug 2008s. The dog will like the low entry lipless loading area at the back, no higher than my kneecap. You will probably enjoy the ease of town driving with the excellent reliable Japanese autobox - goodness knows why people still buy manuals these days. Here's one a bit like ours........compare and contrast with that Focus...

www.cinch.co.uk/used-cars/peugeot/2008/details/929...1

Ford Focus - Advice on potential new car - badbusdriver

I don't know anything about cars, just that low mileage is better.

And that isn't the case!

Ford Focus - Advice on potential new car - Andrew-T

I don't know anything about cars, just that low mileage is better.

And that isn't the case!

Well, it isn't necessarily the case. But it could mean that some long-interval maintenance jobs have not been done which a high mileage would have called for - for example. I don't believe traders ask more for low-mileage cars simply because punters think that is better, and no other reason ?

Ford Focus - Advice on potential new car - badbusdriver

You are right of course, it isn't necessarily the case. But what definitely is the case is that short journeys where an engine and drivetrain doesn't get up to operating temperature is bad for the car. It is also definitely the case that urban running (potholed streets, lots of stopping and starting, sharp turns etc,) is worse for a car than sitting for mile upon mile of smooth motorway or dual carriageway at the legal limit.

So yes, low mileage car may be better, if it has been used relatively infrequently for journeys of at least 5 miles. If it has been used two or three times per day to go well under a mile, it wouldn't be better. The problem for the buyer (as with buying a DPF equipped diesel or DCT auto) is how would you find out how how the previous owners have driven the car?.

Personal choice of course, but I'd be much more wary of a car with well below average miles than one of average or above miles. But going by what we see on the forum, my view is very much in the minority with most buyers seemingly under the impression that low mileage is the holy grail (a bit like the views of some when it comes to chain rather than belt drive). Thats fair enough though, each to their own!

I don't believe traders ask more for low-mileage cars simply because punters think that is better, and no other reason ?

I think it is pretty much exactly why they do!

Ford Focus - Advice on potential new car - Andrew-T

<< But what definitely is the case is that short journeys where an engine and drivetrain doesn't get up to operating temperature is bad for the car. It is also definitely the case that urban running (potholed streets, lots of stopping and starting, sharp turns etc,) is worse for a car than sitting for mile upon mile of smooth motorway or dual carriageway at the legal limit. >>

Quite true. But low mileage (again) doesn't necessarily mean the car has always done short trips. All the 205s I have owned during the last 20 years or so have done between 1000 and 2000 miles a year making occasional (about every 2 weeks) round trips of up to 80 miles. In fact the most recent car has surprised me by averaging 54mpg - the best I have had from a 205 1.4 petrol - by doing most of it at 40 to 60 mph.

Ford Focus - Advice on potential new car - expat

You will probably enjoy the ease of town driving with the excellent reliable Japanese autobox - goodness knows why people still buy manuals these days.

I agree that an automatic is great however not all automatics are reliable. The DCT transmissions used in all Volkswagen group cars are dodgy and so are the DCT ones in Fords. Post us a link to any car you are considering and the experts on here will be very happy to look it over and give you an opinion.

Ford Focus - Advice on potential new car - Xileno

I haven't researched the Ford units but regarding the VW group DSG the consensus seems to be the early ones gave some problems but later ones are ok. The wet clutch versions seem to be better ones.

There's even an article on this site about it:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/advice/owning-advice/dsg-gear.../

"As for used vehicles, the same advice applies when considering any used car in that service history and condition is crucial. A post-2012 vehicle equipped with a wet clutch DSG transmission and a full service history should prove to be reliable if the maintenance is continued, but you should think twice about cars with a patchy history or high mileage."

Ford Focus - Advice on potential new car - Adampr

I've had two DSGs. The first (Golf) I hated, but it seems that was due to me having the 'auto hold' switched on. The second (Karoq) I like.

Neither has ever given me the slightest hint of trouble in well over 50,000 miles. I think it's worth highlighting their potential fragility under some circumstances, but they are certainly not 'dodgy' in and of themselves.