BMW and all. - Hydraulic Steering / Buying a Real Car - Jenny Gavin-Wear

Sorry, bit of a scroller ...

I tried a BMW 3 Series M Sport 320i 2017. I can only describe the steering as horrible. Far too light, not responsive and no feedback at all. I was told it has EPS, so I looked this up and felt very sad.

"Ultimate driving experience" ? Nope, that wasn't it. It was slow, lethargic, docile. If a car could have a labotomy it would describe this car perfectly. The car was generally unresponsive and dull. If Matchbox ever made a real car, I imagine it would feel like this.

I have a budget of around £12k and I'd like to buy a car that offers a genuine driving experience. I had an Octavia VRS TFSi 2010 - 0-60 5.9, but it was getting a little old. But, now I wish I still had it. It didn't have all the techno-electro-gubbins, but it did have an after market system that did the job pretty ok - it sounded better than original.

The question is, are there any cars out there in my limited budget that offer what I am looking for? 2014 or later, under 12k, under 7 secs 0-60, real steering.

I read that there might be improved/later versions of EPS that give a better experience. Is this true and if so, what should I be looking for?

Any advice much appreciated.
Jenny

Edited by Jenny Gavin-Wear on 16/04/2024 at 19:23

BMW and all. - Hydraulic Steering / Buying a Real Car - elekie&a/c doctor
Most cars these days have eps . Even your old Octavia would have been fitted with Eps .
BMW and all. - Hydraulic Steering / Buying a Real Car - Adampr

Depends on how big it has to be. Toyota GT86 and Subaru BRZ (they're the same car) are about the 'purest' you can get, but not devastatingly fast or very spacious.

You've also got hot hatches like an Abarth 595/695 or a Fiesta ST.

If you want larger, another VRS is the obvious choice or a Seat Leon Cupra.

BMW and all. - Hydraulic Steering / Buying a Real Car - mcb100
Just a guess that you’re used to a powerful FWD car torque steering every time you accelerate briskly because the front tyres are having to provide traction and steering.
And what you’ve driven in the BMW is the better solution - steering at the front, drive from the rear.

As above, the GT86/BRZ handle and steer beautifully, albeit they’re not overly endowed with grip.
BMW and all. - Hydraulic Steering / Buying a Real Car - Rerepo

GT86/BRZ are fitted with EPAS, but its not bad.

BMW and all. - Hydraulic Steering / Buying a Real Car - Andrew-T

... I'd like to buy a car that offers a genuine driving experience.

There are a few (almost) showroom-condition Peugeot 205 GTi cars for sale in your budget which would give a very genuine driving experience, without any of that 21st-century electronic gubbins ! Thing is, I suspect most owners only take them to events and rallies ....