DSG Kickdown - Adampr

I thought this might be of interest to a select few. When I took my Karoq DSG to a Skoda dealer yesterday, the Sales Manager took it for a test drive and repeatedly floored the accelerator whilst on the move. His explanation was that he was testing the kickdown.

I thought I'd mention it partly to assist anyone thinking of buying a DDG with a quick test of some sort. Secondly, I was wondering what the point was (yes, I should have asked him). My best guess he he was checking the mechateonic unit was OK.

DSG Kickdown - badbusdriver

I wonder if there can be a problem with the kickdown on a DSG (or DCT's in general) and he was checking that it actually worked?

Often used kickdown in the Jazz because there was so little torque (and what it did have peaked at 5k rpm!), but it was very effective and responded pretty much instantly.

The Bayon has a a lot more torque which peaks from 1500rpm, so ever felt the need to give it full beans.

DSG Kickdown - SLO76
If I was test driving a potential part exchange I’d do the same thing with any car. I’m looking for smooth changes, listening for noises that shouldn’t be there and I’ll check the kickdown operates as it should. It’s not really just down to it being a DSG box. Though I understand why he’d be particularly careful when checking one over.
DSG Kickdown - Metropolis.
I have never purchased an automated manual but every time I test drive a torque converter automatic I have always tested the kickdown, slow steep hill starts and cycling it slowly through the selector. I do it because a non- responsive kickdown or a judder etc would indicate a problem that might not be revealed in relaxed driving.