ADVICE NEEDED: getting rid of old car - nickbrigg5

Any advice on the below would be greatly appreciated!

I want to get a new car and get rid of our old one, but the tax is due on 30th April and MOT in May. We can't have a gap with no car but equally don't want to spend money on the old car unnecessarily.

Current car is 2006 Mazda 6 which we got 3 years ago from a family member for £400. It's been very reliable, no problems, but will now not pass MOT and is likely to cost about £500 to get required repairs done.

How can I replace this car quickly, without spending loads of money on it?

One idea I had was to park it in my work car park (private) and then try and sell it (or give it away!) with no MOT or tax. Would this be worth doing?

Any other ideas?!

ADVICE NEEDED: getting rid of old car - bathtub tom

Why not tax it? It's got a current MOT and you'll get a refund for the remaining tax when you flog it. It'll be a lot easier to sell if it's on the road. Don't worry about the MOT, let that only concern the new owner. You're unlikely to get caught, as long as it's taxed and insured and the only penalty is a fine, if you get caught.

If you give it away, I'd expect a queue a mile long at your door!

ADVICE NEEDED: getting rid of old car - Andrew-T

Don't worry about the MOT, let that only concern the new owner.!

It will be much easier (=less hard) to find a new owner if the car has a new MoT. If you don't want to manage that, sell for sc-rap. Is it not worth part-exing against your new car ?

ADVICE NEEDED: getting rid of old car - Adampr

When are you getting the new car and where from? Can't you just PX the Mazda this week?

ADVICE NEEDED: getting rid of old car - John F

.... but will now not pass MOT and is likely to cost about £500 to get required repairs done.

How can I replace this car quickly, without spending loads of money on it?

£500 is not 'loads of money' in the car repair world these days. A car with a year's MoT would probably sell for a four figure sum. It would be interesting to see the latest MoT report advisories and the current fail report, if there is one yet. How many miles has it done?

ADVICE NEEDED: getting rid of old car - JonestHon

I'd ask myself how much life left in the car, fair enough if you don'tike it, but if on balance there are more pros than cons I'd keep it, two tyres and some elementary suspension parts will easily be £500 so don't let it put you off.

ADVICE NEEDED: getting rid of old car - gordonbennet

I too would be getting it through the MOT as cheaply as possible then sell as a long MOT good runner at your convenience, you'll end up making more overall than selling as is for what will essentially be breaking value.

If its completely reliable you might yet decide to run it for another year once its MOTd and see if the current lunacy in car prices moderates, MOT gives you the option.

ADVICE NEEDED: getting rid of old car - SLO76
If you’re looking to buy another cheap car instead of paying out £500 on a car you know well then your logic is flawed. You could spend £3/£4k on another old car and still end up with a bill of £500 almost immediately. Your own car will be worth hundreds more if it has a Mot too, without it it’s a case of calling sc*** yards or looking online and taking best sc*** value. No one else will buy it without a Mot. If your car is otherwise ok I’d get it Mot’d.
ADVICE NEEDED: getting rid of old car - FiestaOwner

I want to get a new car and get rid of our old one, but the tax is due on 30th April and MOT in May. We can't have a gap with no car but equally don't want to spend money on the old car unnecessarily.

Current car is 2006 Mazda 6 which we got 3 years ago from a family member for £400. It's been very reliable, no problems, but will now not pass MOT and is likely to cost about £500 to get required repairs done.

You can still renew the Road Tax. If you sell the car, the road tax doesn't transfer with it. As soon as you notify the DVLA of a change of keeper, they will refund you for any remaining full months of road tax. Best to notify the DVLA of a change of keeper online (the last time I did this, I had my refund cheque in around a week).

As others have said, if you think you can get it through an MOT for about £500, I would get it done. Any car with a year's MOT should be worth more than £1000 in today's crazy used car market.

ADVICE NEEDED: getting rid of old car - Warning

You don't say how many miles it has done, which is important.

In my mind having an MOT will help its saleability. Of course, will the car pay you back is another question. It is hard to tell without photos, service history, condition etc...

I was in a similar boat. Get the car cleaned up washed up and then park it off road. I suspect you will probably get a motor trader buying it off you, without an MOT.

You will need to tax it to drive for a test drive + insurance.

Edited by Warning on 21/04/2024 at 17:18

ADVICE NEEDED: getting rid of old car - Bromptonaut

If it's effectively sc*** then people like Copart or any number of local outfits will pay you a few hundred for it.

If you can 'invest' a few quid with the certainty it'll pass an Mot then you'll get a lot more but obviously that 'lot more' needs to exceed sc*** value + cost of repair.

ADVICE NEEDED: getting rid of old car - edlithgow

You don't say how many miles it has done, which is important.

In my mind...

But not in the real world.

Rather sad that the OP is so many formerly shark-infested sea miles away,. Does sound a bit new and shiny for me. but beggars cant be choosers

ADVICE NEEDED: getting rid of old car - Big John

We Buy Any Car bought my neighbours car even though it was near to the end of it's MOT and unlikely to pass another.He got a couple of hundred or so.